Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Week 4 PFF Analysis - Offensive Line
I thought it would be interesting to have a thread to discuss the OL performance. During the game, I thought they did a fantastic job. I usually go through and re-watch the game with All-22 once it is out. PFF dropped their grades and stats today for the game and they don't appear to agree with what I saw. Here is the player-by-player breakdown...

Jonah Williams

Grade - 60.2 (PBLK = 70.8, RBLK = 49.5)
Pressures - 2
Hurries - 2
Hits - 0
Sacks - 0
Penalties - 0
Pressure % - 5.4%

Cordell Volson

Grade - 38.2 (PBLK = 24.2, RBLK = 44.8)
Pressures - 3
Hurries - 2
Hits - 0
Sacks - 1
Penalties - 1
Pressure % - 8.1%

Ted Karras

Grade - 47.5 (PBLK = 55.3, RBLK = 51.5)
Pressures - 3
Hurries - 3
Hits - 0
Sacks - 0
Penalties - 1
Pressure % - 8.1%

Alex Cappa

Grade - 47 (PBLK = 43.5, RBLK = 48)
Pressures - 2
Hurries - 0
Hits - 2
Sacks - 0
Penalties - 0
Pressure % - 5.4%

La'el Collins

Grade - 45 (PBLK = 35.5, RBLK = 48.5)
Pressures - 2
Hurries - 2
Hits - 0
Sacks - 0
Penalties - 1
Pressure % - 5.4%

PFF has panned the OL across the board aside from Jonah. Joe was getting rid of the ball quickly last night, so if they believe they aw issues, then perhaps that was masking it. Has anyone re-watched the game to watch the line? What are some other observations from last night around the OL? 
Reply/Quote
I have basically written off PFF for lineman at this point. Last night was their best game so far this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Burrow said it was the best pocket he’s had since entering the NFL. I get that PFF is focusing on each individual player more than the fans are, but those grades are hard to agree with. You’d think they were absolutely awful looking at those numbers.

Reply/Quote
That's a bizarre score for them
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Phewffft.... PFF didn't get their check.
Reply/Quote
Run blocking grades not being great, I could get behind a bit, but I didn't see major problems with pass pro. Looked like a solid game from the group overall
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 05:02 PM)treee Wrote: I have basically written off PFF for lineman at this point. Last night was their best game so far this year.

PFF ratings are a non factor imo. They graded everyone poorly and i have no idea why. Burrow escaped maybe 2 or 3 sacks but besides that i felt he had extraordinary time in the pocket. I think Burrow was a bit surprised because i counted 2 plays where he could’ve taken a deep shot but ended up checking it down
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 05:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Phewffft.... PFF didn't get their check.

I tend to agree. I've never been a fan of their grades, there is too much subjectivity. Their stats are great and you can work from there to figure something out but the grades aren't very useful.
Reply/Quote
I really want to know what PFF counts as a negative play because I watched the OL intently last night and no one was getting whopped. By pass blocking in the NFL standards most of them were doing well. I just don't get PFF to be honest.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Like others have said I could understand their run blocking being a little low. But I can't believe they were that bad in pass pro.
Reply/Quote
Games I think Volson sucks in, pff scores him him.

Games I think he looks good, they score him bad.
Reply/Quote
I don’t know if there are specific algorithms to their grades, but they generally feel subjective.
Reply/Quote
They're just trolling... Nothing to see here
Reply/Quote
The numbers don't seem that much improved from last year. In fact, it may be even worse.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
The pass block ratings are off.

I just watched every snap and we did very well in pass pro.

The run blocking was bad but it was bad mostly by Collins. I honestly did not notice any other lirnman being super trash in run blocking. The poor ratings i think have to be put on Mixon’s shoulders who robbed the line of maybe around 30 yards, but DEFINITELY robbed the line of another TD.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
For the year:
Karas: 62.1
Cappa: 61.9
Jonah: 54.3
Collins: 52.9
Volson: 49.6

Rest of O:
Higgins: 82.1
Chase: 69.1
Burrow: 66.1
Boyd: 65.6
Hurst: 61.0
Mixon: 58.5

Defensive Starters:
Reader: 91.0
Hendrickson: 89.8
Hubbard: 76.6
Bell: 71.8
Hilton: 69.1
Awuzie: 67.4
Wilson: 64.7
Hill: 61.2
Apple: 60.4
Bates: 60.3
Pratt: 59.5
Reply/Quote
When all 5 offensive lineman have poor run block grades but we can’t really point out many specific plays where anyone but Collins messed up that means the RB isn’t playing well. No way all 5 dudes are bad in the run game.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 05:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow said it was the best pocket he’s had since entering the NFL. I get that PFF is focusing on each individual player more than the fans are, but those grades are hard to agree with. You’d think they were absolutely awful looking at those numbers.

Those grades are bullshit. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Yet more proof that PFF is trash. When the QB has abundant time, doesn't even get hit a lot or really pressured and says himself that this was the best pass protection he's had as a pro then PFF craps all over the line you know PFF is at issue.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 06:56 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I tend to agree. I've never been a fan of their grades, there is too much subjectivity. Their stats are great and you can work from there to figure something out but the grades aren't very useful.

PFF Player Grades are for casual football fans. Now their analytics department is top notch and that's coming from a guy that hates football stats.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote