Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcom to the team, Drew Sample!
(04-26-2019, 10:03 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: D line other than an aging Geno and Los is thoroughly average.  The D line is arguably the third weakest position group behind LB and O line.  Maybe TE is/was worse?  The other DT’s are nothingburgers, Lawson is hurt, Willis has underachieved, Kerry Wynn is backup material.

Personally, I thought Hubbard and Glassgow played  well last season. Of course Glassgow got hurt too.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
3 hours and 10 beers later, still hate this fuggin pick. Great players everywhere in the 2nd round and the Bengals decide to show everyone how smart they are. Unreal.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:25 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: So you agree with a lot of us who think the selection was a little high.

And here is something from people other than fan message board for you

[Image: 62fbd7a945df7d9f3349593b52a31fde.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking back to the Rams offense and how they use TEs, that blocking grade tells me why they drafted him. It may have been a round or 2 early, maybe not. That said, he's who they wanted, so they took him. Then Pratt. It worked out 

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 01:20 AM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: 3 hours and 10 beers later, still hate this fuggin pick. Great players everywhere in the 2nd round and the Bengals decide to show everyone how smart they are. Unreal.

Over 3 beers an hour....not too shabby my good man! LOL :andy:

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 09:50 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Disgusting and now the worst defensive team hasnt even adressed the defensive side of the ball by reaching two rounds early on a blocking only tight end.  New Dey, same crap

One of our beastly LBers a few years ago went undrafted then went on to the probowl and nearly won us our first playoff game. You know his name and although he has some issues on the field it was undeniable he was a damned good LB for awhile and definitely worth picking up as a CFA.
There is NOTHING that says all linebackers and defensive players MUST be drafted early to be successful. 
Right now to me Zac & company are drafting meat and potatoes guys instead of dessert with a maraschino cherry on top guys... 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
There's no way to spin this. It was a poor decision to make this pick. It was even poor comp for the trade. I honestly think Ford or Risner was the pick then they just had no plan B at all. We have so many picks to work with, should have went up to get Ford or Risner. Hell could have stayed put and had Wilson and Pratt. This is by far the worst 2nd round pic I can recall any team making going back to the time a Kicker went in the 2nd. This is the first time I've seen a 2nd round pick have scouting reports say " this guy will NEVER be an NFL starter". Not may not be, lol never... really. I get it he's a blocker and that's why it says that so again why so early.

There is no way he was the next best player on their board. If so that's freakin scary. We have 10 picks on day 3 wtf? Half these guys won't even make the team. What are we saving them for. I don't think any team with 5 damn 6th round picks would just sit on their hands like we did watching their hopes of having a revamped Oline go right before them like we did. I'm just going to pretend the 2nd round never happened. Use these late round picks to move the hell up and fix this damn D now. So Disgusted, just ruined the draft for me. Anyone who thinks this was a good pick is out of their damn mind and just being a homer. I guarantee not 1 damn person on this planet had Sample as our or anyone's 2nd pick
Reply/Quote
For all the defenders of this pick, I dont think anybody complaining really dislikes the kid. Te was a need. Myself and others dont like the pick because of where we took him. I actually like sample as a player I just think if he was our guy we could have got him much later. I thought he would be a real solid pick in the 4th or 5th. The 2nd for him is just bonkers.
Reply/Quote
I thought he was a bit of a reach, but I love him as a player and his skill set. Welcome to the team. Great blocker with decent enough hands. Hopefully will see him move the chains on occasion.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 12:50 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Interesting tidbit. If we had stayed put at 42 rather than trading down and took Sample, he would have been selected in the exact same slot as Reggie Kelly was in 1998.

The game has changed a lot in the last 21 years. A lot of people just view Tight End as "big Wide Receiver" nowadays. Maybe Sample will be a return to a more run based offense, which would work for me, since we got Mixon.

Plus remember ZT in the Super Bowl was on the receiving end of the Patriots going power offense and just blowing the Rams "modern defense" off of the ball and ramming the ball down their throats. Maybe he wants to possess this power too...
Reply/Quote
Again, Reggie Kelly was 2nd round pick in 1998 or something like that. Many fans then did not like the pick. He had similar stats to Sample. I think round 3-4 would be right for value as of now. But Patriots could have taken him and no one would question the pick.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Would have rather taken a chance on Ferguson even with his baggage. But of course we get to face him. Hope Sample can block him.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 01:45 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: For all the defenders of this pick, I dont think anybody complaining really dislikes the kid.  Te was a need.  Myself and others dont like the pick because of where we took him.  I actually like sample as a player I just think if he was our guy we could have got him much later.  I thought he would be a real solid pick in the 4th or 5th.  The 2nd for him is just bonkers.

I'd agree with that....hell, I didn't even know who he was! LOL . I'm not really defending it....but I'm just saying I understand the pick when I look at the broader picture and starting to get a feel for what this staff is looking for and what they plan to do. I think we'll see a steady diet of Joe and Gio.

Reply/Quote
Here's my question to everyone who thinks this was a good pick. If they wanted a blocking TE This damn bad why didn't they just keep Fisher.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 01:57 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Here's my question to everyone who thinks this was a good pick. If they wanted a blocking TE This damn bad why didn't they just keep Fisher.

Cause he can't block anyone?  Confused

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 01:59 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Cause he can't block anyone?  Confused

I know Fisher wasent that good but he's still better than a TE.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 01:54 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Would have rather taken a chance on Ferguson even with his baggage. But of course we get to face him. Hope Sample can block him.

I really wanted Adderley, Zach Allen, or Thornhill in round 2.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
We basically just drafted Fisher again in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 01:29 AM)TKUHL Wrote: There's no way to spin this. It was a poor decision to make this pick. It was even poor comp for the trade. I honestly think Ford or Risner was the pick then they just had no plan B at all. We have so many picks to work with, should have went up to get Ford or Risner. Hell could have stayed put and had Wilson and Pratt. This is by far the worst 2nd round pic I can recall any team making going back to the time a Kicker went in the 2nd. This is the first time I've seen a 2nd round pick have scouting reports say " this guy will NEVER be an NFL starter". Not may not be, lol never... really. I get it he's a blocker and that's why it says that so again why so early.

There is no way he was the next best player on their board. If so that's freakin scary. We have 10 picks on day 3 wtf? Half these guys won't even make the team. What are we saving them for. I don't think any team with 5 damn 6th round picks would just sit on their hands like we did watching their hopes of having a revamped Oline go right before them like we did. I'm just going to pretend the 2nd round never happened. Use these late round picks to move the hell up and fix this damn D now. So Disgusted, just ruined the draft for me. Anyone who thinks this was a good pick is out of their damn mind and just being a homer. I guarantee not 1 damn person on this planet had Sample as our or anyone's 2nd pick

Normally I would agree with almost all of this but we could take some lbs late that could contribute as the bottom 3 lbs on our roster are easily replaceable.  Ill wait to reserve judgement and root for these kids to prove me way wrong, but im really not liking day 2 of our draft at all.  I havent been this disappointed in a draft since the ogbuehi draft and the keiwan ratliff draft.  I have actually liked most of our drafts.  I really loved the pollack, odell, henry draft so that just goes to show I aint always on point.  That draft to this day still bugs me as I think those 3 all had the potential to be pro bowlers.  Other than jonah this draft is giving me the same feelings of the ogbuehi and ratliff drafts.  Trying to stay positive for day 3.  Jonah is the saving grace of this draft for me.  I was a haskins guy and I truely believe he has elite potential, but I still love the jonah pick.  Can never go wrong with a stud oline that can play pretty much any position.

To make others feel better about my takes on today;

One of my favorite bengal picks of all time (at the time he was taken) was lamont thompson safety in the 2nd round forever ago and he turned out to be complete garbage.  Also I loved the john ross pick and I still do to this day.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 01:57 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Here's my question to everyone who thinks this was a good pick. If they wanted a blocking TE This damn bad why didn't they just keep Fisher.

Fisher ironically was a TE converted to OL.  Fisher had health issues, was an okay block.  Sample has blocking stats that best Price coming out of college. I think everyone has issues with value of pick and I agree with them on that point.  I don't think anyone would have minded Sample in round 4.  

Plus, they could have obtained better value for trade down.  Like a 4th and 5th rounder.  maybe just another 3rd rounder.  They already had several 6th rounders.  

My Hope is that they trade back up in the 4th round, and maybe draft the best kicker and punter.  why not.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 02:05 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Fisher ironically was a TE converted to OL.  Fisher had health issues, was an okay block.  Sample has blocking stats that best Price coming out of college. I think everyone has issues with value of pick and I agree with them on that point.  I don't think anyone would have minded Sample in round 4.  

Plus, they could have obtained better value for trade down.  Like a 4th and 5th rounder.  maybe just another 3rd rounder.  They already had several 6th rounders.  

My Hope is that they trade back up in the 4th round, and maybe draft the best kicker and punter.  why not.  

That will help sell some tickets! To go along with an OT (yes it was a good pick), a blocking TE, and a project LB.

They might need a wait list for season tickets...

Reply/Quote