Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcom to the team, Drew Sample!
I think he will suprise a lot of people. Obviously a great blocker, but he has good hands when given a chance and is big enough to be a mis match when we need to move the chains. I'll take him. TE is a major position of need and I like that Taylor is putting a big emphasis on blocking and character so far.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:10 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: and the bengals were 5-11 for a reason and havent won a playoff game in years.  yea maybe they should tear up their board and quit reaching three rounds early on 1 trait players.  its a horrible pick.  not in the 4th but in the second hahah cmon ever heard of value

Why, because you said so? You haven't a clue what the Bengals are doing, just belly aching.
Reply/Quote
I could see Sample playing about 50% of the snaps on O. Not a very exciting pick. Not a big flashy name like me and basically everyone else was looking for. But I'm cool with it. Another mature talented player who does his job and wins his assignment.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:13 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: hahahahahahahahahhahhaahahaahaah honestly hahhaahaahahahahaha

So your 12 years old now? Hi
Reply/Quote
its fine to draft a run blocking TE that can drive a LB backwards on 2nd and 1.
but your 52nd pick needs to be a EVERYDOWN player sooner than later.
Sample could have been drafted in RD 4 or 5
Reply/Quote
Would you rather have Drew Sample or Josh Rosen?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:20 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I am not in love with the pick but seems like a guy who will do his job. In today's age of Nickle Defenses and small LBers could be a major advantage for Bengals.

I agree. A lunch pail guy that takes to coaching well. Don't forget the advantage of the run game. Taylor wants to continue the wide zone running game. You either need athletic tackles (like Jonah Williams) or good blocking TEs (like Drew Sample) for it to really gel. Bengals are looking to have a strong run game, and use play action to free up the passing game. Just like the Rams. And the late 80s Bengals!
Reply/Quote
Bill Callahan: "He's an adequate receiver."

Glowing endorsement from the OC.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:07 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: There are not 25 people better than Sample that can block left. Especially at TE. He is one of if not the best blocking TE in the draft. You have no idea of Taylor's scheme. TE was our thinnest position since we only really can rely on Uzomah. There still can be some steals later in the draft for LB. You need to stop freaking out over things because you have no idea how our coaches wants to run this offense.

You are just a homer that will take anything. It was the only poorly rated pick rated on CBS. Even if he works out to be a decent backup TE he will only play 10% of the offensive snaps next year. You could have had him in the 3rd and probably 4 th round. It is universally agreed that Jace was a better pick and most had him about 9 th best tight end. And between TE’s and offensive linemen there are 25 better “blocking” prospects.

There was legit pro bowl material out there and we waste a goddam pick.

We trade pack and lose value to do it.

Anyone who apologizes for this nonsense is just a homer.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:40 PM)yang Wrote: You are just a homer that will take anything.  It was the only poorly rated pick rated on CBS.   Even if he works out to be a decent backup TE he will only play 10% of the offensive snaps next year.  You could have had him in the 3rd and probably 4 th round.  It is universally agreed that Jace was a better pick and most had him about 9 th best tight end.  And between TE’s and offensive linemen there are 25 better “blocking” prospects.

Wow, what a short sighted assessment.  Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe the coaches have a plan, and they wanted a man with a specific skill set to be a part of that plan?

We finally have a player to fill the huge void that has existed, since Hewitt got inured and eventually departed the team.  Just because the team's plan doesn't agree with your plan, doesn't mean that the team's plan is a bad one..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:04 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: cant believe people are trying to justify this pick... they can go with mike brown when he dips too.. my goodness just embarassing.  but maybe were tanking for tua next year...

What team is it that you evaluate for? I guess you can tell us all what Brian Callahan plans to as far as offensive scheme? No you can't so you have no idea how Sample fits into his plan. I think it was early for him but I am, as you are, on the outside looking in. You sure better hope he does not turn out to be a big contributor to this team.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, what a short sighted assessment.  Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe the coaches have a plan, and they wanted a man with a specific skill set to be a part of that plan?

We finally have a player to fill the huge void that has existed, since Hewitt got inured and eventually departed the team.  Just because the team's plan doesn't agree with your plan, doesn't mean that the team's plan is a bad one..

No things such as that do not occur to far too many on these boards. That sure did not change during my hiatus. Way too many think they actually have some sort of useful knowledge when it comes to evaluating NFL players as well as thinking they know far more than most that are actually paid to do the job.

Sure I think the selection may be a little high but I also am not privy to the info of knowing exactly what Taylor and Callahan are looking for to execute their offensive plan.

Nope some things will always be the same on these boards.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:40 PM)yang Wrote: You are just a homer that will take anything.  It was the only poorly rated pick rated on CBS.   Even if he works out to be a decent backup TE he will only play 10% of the offensive snaps next year.  You could have had him in the 3rd and probably 4 th round.  It is universally agreed that Jace was a better pick and most had him about 9 th best tight end.  And between TE’s and offensive linemen there are 25 better “blocking” prospects.

Here is an analysis of your boy Jace…..

Overview

Despite his experience in-line and willingness to block in Jimbo Fisher's offense, he has neither the size nor strength to handle those duties as a pro. Sternberger is athletic with above-average ball skills, catch radius and route breaks that help him undercover on the second and third level. His paychecks will be tied to his pass-catching so he'll need to play stronger through route contact and with better focus when contested. He has eventual starter potential as a move tight-end who can function as a big WR3/4 from the slot

LMAO.....clueless much?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, what a short sighted assessment.  Has it ever occurred to you that maybe, just maybe the coaches have a plan, and they wanted a man with a specific skill set to be a part of that plan?

I'm fine with him on the roster...2nd Round just seemed a bit high.
Reply/Quote
LOL at all of the crybabies.

This is why I stopped studying the draft after the Akili draft. I wanted them to trade down. I studied for hours and hours and had all of this knowledge about all of these impressive players and none of them were on the only team I watch.

From that point on, I wait until draft day, find out who is on my team, study from there and don't get all pissed about who they didn't draft.

Also, in a very minor point, if they draft an LB, that tells Pitt that "They stole our LB". By drafting a TE he had his eye on, Taylor is telling the Steelers, you over paid to over draft your LB.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:30 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I could see Sample playing about 50% of the snaps on O. Not a very exciting pick. Not a big flashy name like me and basically everyone else was looking for. But I'm cool with it. Another mature talented player who does his job and wins his assignment.

Not a chance he plays 50% of the snaps. Over who? Our 3rd TE will play about 10% of the snaps. He is a non factor.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:11 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: LOL at all of the crybabies.

This is why I stopped studying the draft after the Akili draft. I wanted them to trade down. I studied for hours and hours and had all of this knowledge about all of these impressive players and none of them were on the only team I watch.

From that point on, I wait until draft day, find out who is on my team, study from there and don't get all pissed about who they didn't draft.

Also, in a very minor point, if they draft an LB, that tells Pitt that "They stole our LB". By drafting a TE he had his eye on, Taylor is telling the Steelers, you over paid to over draft your LB.

Then why are you here? Why do you care?? Just trolling?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:15 PM)yang Wrote: Then why are you here?  Why do you care??

It's draft day
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Some may not remember but the Bengal's offense was pretty good when they had Reggie Kelly at TE. Not many fans noticed him. He wasn't flashy. Some members on the old forum wanted Reggie gone, but that dude was probably in the top 3 blocking TE in NFL and it really helped the offense.

When Reggie Kelly was released, the running game struggled.

The Floor on Sample is high, but I agree, he may have been there in round 3-4 but one never knows.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:11 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: LOL at all of the crybabies.

The Steelers have drafted 26 Pro Bowl players in the 2nd and 3rd Round since the modern draft started. They aren't concerned about us. And Taylor wasn't 'sending them a message' by drafting a TE.
Reply/Quote