Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome Chidobe Awuzie
Not overly impressed. Seems like a downgrade from WJIII if it is his replacement, and it likely is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
And what would you have them do FO guru? WJIII is commanding 15M a year. Do you think they should've broke the bank on him or bring in someone more affordable so they can get other players they need to fill out the roster?
Reply/Quote
He is a good CB. This past year was rough when he missed most of the season with a hammy and covid. Before that he was very solid. Will be much cheaper than the 15mil per year I'm hearing WJ3 will end up with. He may not turn out to be as good as WJ, but it might not be a very big drop off either. He was a player on the rise until the weird 2020 season.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather spend the $15 million on WJ3 but we do have two other free agent cornerbacks. It doesn't look good but this isn't a WJ3 replacement yet.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 12:44 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: And what would you have them do FO guru?  

I'd liked to have kept one of the two top defensive free agents. 

Reply/Quote
Per PFF

Quote:22. CB CHIDOBE AWUZIE
After earning a coverage grade that ranks right in the middle of the league’s corners since 2017, Awuzie epitomizes the league-average cornerback. He’s done his best work in zone coverage, ranking in the 61st percentile in PFF grade, but he’s in just the 35th percentile in single coverage. That matches our scouting report of Awuzie coming out of college, where he looked like an excellent fit in a zone scheme, and that’s likely his best bet once again as he hits free agency.

Contract Analysis: The Cowboys prioritized Dontari Poe, Everson Griffen and Gerald McCoy over retaining CB Byron Jones this past offseason. All three players are no longer on the roster, and Dallas has one of the worst defenses in NFL history. Dallas must now realize they have to invest in coverage to get this unit back on track, just like Miami did with Byron Jones.

Prediction: Three years, $27M ($9M APY): $15.5M total guaranteed, $10M fully guaranteed at signing.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-100-best-available-nfl-free-agents-remaining-2021-nfl-free-agency

I wold have prefered Malcom Butler, but this may be a solid depth signing.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I really like this signing Chidobe Awuzie was one of the best pass disrupting corners in 2017 and 2018 and was a very sticky defender.

Add in a possible Mike Hilton and Justin Houston or Melvin Ingram siging to the defense I could almost not hate free agency this year.... The lack of Offensive Line is still very very concerning.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Is he good at tackling? Seems like last year (with the signings) Lou was going for solid CBs that tackle well. I'd rather have a lot of depth at CB than one or two good cover corners that aren't the best tacklers--and then a large drop off. You could use that 15 mil per year from WJ3 to spend on (2) really solid corners and improve your team more IMO. Sounds like that's what the Bengals are doing.

I'd love to see us sign 1-2 more solid corners to round out the unit. Would love to have Alexander back; the Steelers CB would be solid as well. Could even draft another in the 3rd round. Would like to see Sewell at 1 if there, then a DE/DT in round 2. Still need a couple guards in FA as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 12:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'd liked to have kept one of the two top defensive free agents. 

And I would've liked Thuney/Lawson/WJIII too buddy. But, there's not enough to go around. Your Front office thinking only gets us back 1 CB or 1 Edge rusher and hardly any other money left to get (2) OL, 1 WR, another slot CB, a TE and a DT. All of which the Bengals need to fill out a roster prior to the draft. 
Reply/Quote
The best announced pick in recent memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGCA05Jdjqs

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 12:55 PM)Synric Wrote: I really like this signing Chidobe Awuzie was one of the best pass disrupting corners in 2017 and 2018 and was a very sticky defender.

Add in a possible Mike Hilton and Justin Houston or Melvin Ingram siging to the defense I could almost not hate free agency this year.... The lack of Offensive Line is still very very concerning.

Re-sign Alexander...bring in Ingram or Houston and go OL in the first 3 rounds and maybe sign an outlier OL in FA or cuts...The draft is DEEP with OL....If Sewell is there it is the only option...end of story
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:02 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: And I would've liked Thuney/Lawson/WJIII too buddy. But, there's not enough to go around. Your Front office thinking only gets us back 1 CB or 1 Edge rusher and hardly any other money left to get (2) OL, 1 WR, another slot CB, a TE and a DT. All of which the Bengals need to fill out a roster prior to the draft. 

What? My front office thinking wouldn't give us only that. So far I would have only brought back one of the two. With plenty more to spin (since we couldn't get Zeitler as I would have passed on Thuney). So so far I would have signed one of the two (WJIII, Lawson), and Zeitler and Linsley.

My FO thinking along with many others on this board some I don't even agree with would have been turned this ship around. 

I would have been focusing on Andrews right now instead of Chidobe who is about to go to the Dolphins as they work to protect their young qb.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:05 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Re-sign Alexander...bring in Ingram or Houston and go OL in the first 3 rounds and maybe sign an outlier OL in FA or cuts...The draft is DEEP with OL....If Sewell is there it is the only option...end of story

You’re not getting 3 starters on Oline in draft. They absolutely still need to get some of these other FA Oline, and some WR. Defense is not going to get drastically better but offense has a chance if they spend on it like they’ve been spending on defense.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:01 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Is he good at tackling? Seems like last year (with the signings) Lou was going for solid CBs that tackle well. I'd rather have a lot of depth at CB than one or two good cover corners that aren't the best tacklers--and then a large drop off. You could use that 15 mil per year from WJ3 to spend on (2) really solid corners and improve your team more IMO. Sounds like that's what the Bengals are doing.

I'd love to see us sign 1-2 more solid corners to round out the unit. Would love to have Alexander back; the Steelers CB would be solid as well. Could even draft another in the 3rd round. Would like to see Sewell at 1 if there, then a DE/DT in round 2. Still need a couple guards in FA as well.

This is the one real positive I see in this signing. I think coverage wise he is a step below WJIII but he certainly looks from the tape so far to be a willing tackler. Against WRs and in run support.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
He had an interception and 5 PDs in 8 games....tied all of our CBs in INTs and in line with PDs for a complete season....Again, in 8 games....injury and COVID took a toll last year on a possible breakout season
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:08 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: You’re not getting 3 starters on Oline in draft. They absolutely still need to get some of these other FA Oline, and some WR. Defense is not going to get drastically better but offense has a chance if they spend on it like they’ve been spending on defense.

Why not 3 OL starters in the draft?  definitely can get 2...pick 5 and 38 can easily and should be able to start day one especially a tackle and a OG...Whitworth was pick 55 and started game 2 of his career....Zeitler was pick 27, not that far off, and started all 16 games his rookie year....Robert Hunt pick 39 last year started 11 games....Cody Ford was pick 38 in 2019, started 15 games his rookie year and beat out Quentin Spain (you know that name) last year, starting 7 games before going on IR.....It is not impossible to get 2 quality starting OL in the draft at the very least
Reply/Quote
I hope this is a diamond in the rough type of signing and that was caught a breakout hidden by COVID. I’m not so sure though. Probably would have preferred a1 year prove it deal.

Defense is quite possibly going to be worse next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:11 PM)spazz70 Wrote: He had an interception and 5 PDs in 8 games....tied all of our CBs in INTs and in line with PDs for a complete season....Again, in 8 games....injury and COVID took a toll last year on a possible breakout season

That is how I see it. He may end up being better than it seems. 2020 isnt a year to judge him by. He was a good player and on the rise before last season. He might end up being very good for us, and gives us more money to address other areas of need. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 01:21 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Why not 3 OL starters in the draft?  definitely can get 2...pick 5 and 38 can easily and should be able to start day one especially a tackle and a OG...Whitworth was pick 55 and started game 2 of his career....Zeitler was pick 27, not that far off, and started all 16 games his rookie year....Robert Hunt pick 39 last year started 11 games....Cody Ford was pick 38 in 2019, started 15 games his rookie year and beat out Quentin Spain (you know that name) last year, starting 7 games before going on IR.....It is not impossible to get 2 quality starting OL in the draft at the very least

Let me phrase, the likelihood of a team getting 3 “quality” starters on the line in one single draft is not high. They need to rely on what they know instead of projections. This team hasn’t had a quality O-lineman drafted in years. Jonah is serviceable but hurt a lot. So since Zietler maybe? You trusting this organization to nail 3 good Olinemen in one draft when they haven’t had a sustained successful Olineman drafted since 2012?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 12:44 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: And what would you have them do FO guru? WJIII is commanding 15M a year. Do you think they should've broke the bank on him or bring in someone more affordable so they can get other players they need to fill out the roster?

Is this serious? 

Fill out the roster? They are letting quality players slip away because they are too cheap to pay them. There is basically no upgrades left at OL - you know, the reason why you saved all that money by not bringing back lawson and jackson.  
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote