Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome Sam Hubbard and Malik Jefferson!
Connor Williams on the board with 10 draft picks that you know damn well aren't all going to make the roster and you trade down?

This team man.

And F you Piano man for taking Williams when the Cowboys didn't need him.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 11:34 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: This is the worst draft we've had in years..price is about the only upside so far. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Man, what is your problem?  Nothing but smart picks by the Bengals, and you don't seem to understand why they are picking the players that they have chosen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 11:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Man, what is your problem?  Nothing but smart picks by the Bengals, and you don't seem to understand why they are picking the players that they have chosen.

Not taking Williams for what-ifs at DE and linebacker was dumb. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 11:35 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I wanted Brown too..cant believe we let him go he would have started easily..this is a terrible draft for us.

I'm loving this draft so far.  I know, it doesn't have typical WR's, RB, QB, TE, CB that Southern Ohio and Kentucky love.  I thought we have been drafting too heavy in these areas lately.  Finally a draft about BLOCKING AND TACKLING.  Center, Safety, D Line, Linebacker.  Weak Bengals were in dire need of Big Guys, not flashy finesse positions.   Bengals also got Buffalo Bills LT and LB.   You have to include them added to team.  Plus I think we added another free agent LB.   So glad Bengals addressing how pathetically weak their blocking and tackling has been lately.  Some in Cincinnati may not appreciate this off season, but an old NFL city like Green Bay would love bringing in blocking and tackling. Still have Round 4 on coming, this isn't over.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I feel kinda meh about these picks. Hoping ill be convinced otherwise. I get that we needed both position groups. I just wasnt blown away by Jefferson’s tape. I was actually hoping we got rudolph and brown. Decided not to go with brown, and the steelers traded up for rudolph. Really liked our 1st two picks though, hope hubbard is good.
Reply/Quote
I would like Jefferson a lot more if I had more confidence in Haslett to effectively coach him up ,but on the other hand there's Vontez and Vinny who may just be able to do what Haslett is unable to do coaching-wise. I'm kind of split on Hubbard for reasons I cannot explain nor express .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:04 AM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I feel kinda meh about these picks. Hoping ill be convinced otherwise. I get that we needed both position groups. I just wasnt blown away by Jefferson’s tape. I was actually hoping we got rudolph and brown. Decided not to go with brown, and the steelers traded up for rudolph. Really liked our 1st two picks though, hope hubbard is good.

If they turn Jefferson loose, he will be very good. He's not a read and react guy. I said in another thread that he can be a Vontaze Burfict, Jr. if they use him right. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:04 AM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I feel kinda meh about these picks. Hoping ill be convinced otherwise. I get that we needed both position groups. I just wasnt blown away by Jefferson’s tape. I was actually hoping we got rudolph and brown. Decided not to go with brown, and the steelers traded up for rudolph. Really liked our 1st two picks though, hope hubbard is good.

I actually like Jeffersons tape, but I'm not sure it's a great fit for the style of play we see with guys like VB and VR.. Perhaps that's a good thing and we'll see some wholesale change for the better. IDK.. 
Still 7 more picks to go. While I'm not necessarily expecting all of them to be stand out players it's not unheard of to find great value in any late round picks . 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Hubbard seems like a decent pick.

Jefferson seems like the Kirkpatrick of LB's from what I can see lol. Lots of chasing.
Reply/Quote
Jefferson will be better than Vigil and probably better than Evans.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:18 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Jefferson will be better than Vigil and probably better than Evans.

I wish I could say that was a difficult task....
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 11:35 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I wanted Brown too..cant believe we let him go he would have started easily..this is a terrible draft for us.

Orlando Brown is a terrible fit for this team.  I'd venture to say terrible fit for the NFL.  He is way too slow to set the edge and way too tall to play guard.  He is nothing more than a big body.  He will need a ton of coaching, his hands are weak and his footwork leaves a lot to be desired.  It worked in college because of his size, but in the NFL where he will matchup against big and very athletic DE every week his size won't be able to overcompensate for his lack of athleticism.  I am very happy we didn't take him.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 11:34 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: This is the worst draft we've had in years..price is about the only upside so far. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

That's what I like , unabated optimism . FAR from the worst draft we've had . Just a few years ago Ced and Jake didn't exactly light the world on fire . 

Reply/Quote
I think this has been a fine draft so far. I really like both of these picks and I could see both of these guys contributing right away. Lots of talent and upside in our entire draft so far, while addressing positions of need. Good stuff.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:22 AM)grampahol Wrote: That's what I like , unabated optimism . FAR from the worst draft we've had . Just a few years ago Ced and Jake didn't exactly light the world on fire . 

Agree.  That was the 2015 draft:  It was pretty bad.

1.Ogbuehi 1st round bust.  

2. Fisher 2nd round probably a bust. 
3. Tyler Kroft
3. Dawson also third round.  No longer on the team.  
4. Josh Shaw 
4. Marcus Hardison also fourth round (no longer on the team)
5.  C.J. Uzomah
6. Derron Smith (No longer on the team)
7.Mario Alford (No longer on the team)
Reply/Quote
It's hard to hate on Sam Hubbard because he's from Cincinnati. He probably dreamed of playing for us as a kid.

He might have had the highest football IQ of any defensive player this year. He has the heart and motor.

However, having said it's hard to hate on him, that's exactly what I'm about to do.

He had 42 tackles, I believe, and 7 sacks. The only reason he came out his JR year is because next year's DE class was stronger.

If he goes to the 5-7 round next year he's not gonna make as much.

I dare anybody to look at his tape and say his play blows you away, cause it won't. It's solid.

There's only 1 reason he declined to do the bench press and 40 yards dash at the combine. He's weaker in his lower body cause he's had to add 70 pounds in 3 years switching from safety to DE, physical speaking that's not all muscle mass. He did what 16 reps at his pro day?

He can develop his body to get stronger over the years, but it's when you couple that with the reason that he had to make the switch in the first place. He's slow. He runs a 5 flat in the 40 yard dash. If he's gonna have to get bigger to get stronger, then he'll also get slower potentially.

How many successful 5.1 running 4-3 DE'S can you think of in the NFL? He's smart and takes good angles. That can make up for it to a degree, but only a degree.

I think we should of took Phillips from Stanford.

Just look at his tape, then at Sam's. Then give me your honest opinion of who is better.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:49 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: It's hard to hate on Sam Hubbard because he's from Cincinnati. He probably dreamed of playing for us as a kid.

He might have had the highest football IQ of any defensive player this year. He has the heart and motor.

However, having said it's hard to hate on him, that's exactly what I'm about to do.

He had 42 tackles, I believe, and 7 sacks. The only reason he came out his JR year is because next year's DE class was stronger.

I dare anybody to look at his tape and say his play blows you away, cause it won't. It's solid.

There's only 1 reason he declined to do the bench press and 40 yards dash at the combine. He's weaker in his lower body cause he's had to add 70 pounds in 3 years switching from safety to DE, physical speaking that's not all muscle mass. He did what 16 reps at his pro day?

He can develop his body to get stronger over the years, but it's when you couple that with the reason that he had to make the switch in the first place. He's slow. He runs a 5 flat in the 40 yard dash. If he's gonna have to get bigger to get stronger, then he'll also get slower potentially.

How many successful 5.1 running 4-3 DE'S can you think of in the NFL? He's smart and takes good angles. That can make up for it to a degree, but only a degree.

Just look at his tape, then at Sam's. Then give me your honest opinion of who is better.

Obviously, the team had their choice of the two, as both were on the board.  They took Hubbard for a reason.  I'm not exactly sure what that reason is, as I am a Buckeye die-hard and I didn't think he was very special.  You never know what the team's reasoning is.  Perhaps they spoke with Phillips at some point and didn't like the conversation?  You never know.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:49 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: It's hard to hate on Sam Hubbard because he's from Cincinnati. He probably dreamed of playing for us as a kid.

That's good info on Hubbard there, I had Phillips higher easily but they preferred Hubbard.  They must see Hubbard's positives as a 4-3 DE being enough to justify cutting MJ and using the money toward securing one of the star DL.  I don't want to open the can of how they spend their money, but maybe they valued him as a day 1 back end rotation guy and passed on what we both see as the better player. 
Reply/Quote
Would have liked arden key too. He has character concerns but he has great upside. I was hoping for someone with strong upside in the third. These picks to me scream average/back up. It is the third round though.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 11:58 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Not taking Williams for what-ifs at DE and linebacker was dumb. 

The Piano Man wanted Connor Williams. Let that sink in for a minute. 

Anyhow, Hubbard seems like a high floor type. Jefferson is the opposite, but has a very high ceiling with his closing speed. I like both picks after reading up on them a bit. Hubbard is a penetrator who should help against the run. Jefferson may be a TE killer. 
Reply/Quote