Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome Sam Hubbard and Malik Jefferson!
(04-29-2018, 12:56 PM)redwood Wrote: O Brown?  His combine was NOT good at all.  He's LARGE but, did not do well in the bench press. much smaller guys performed, had prepped?   Worse, REAL slow 40.   hints he's NOT real mobile.   that said, He MAY do fine. However....I think the Bengals figure Pollack can do something with guys we already have.

He has a SEVEN FOOT WINGSPAN and he played LT at Oklahoma.  He probably took time off after the season while most kids went right in to their training programs (which I have argued before is purely financial as so many are absolutely wasted by the time their rookie season rolls around, but you can see by this situation that it pays off for the player).  His tape was excellent.

The combine bench, and almost every other measure were dramatically improved at his Pro Day.  The bottom line for me is that there simply aren't many people with his physical characteristics and he was dominant in his play in college.  

I hope you are right with Pollack, but hope isn't a very good strategy.  It sure didn't work the past two years with respect to our offensive line. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 12:23 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Yup it was stupid of us to pass him up.. he is a great run blocker.

No he's not. Be never drives people off the Los, despite having 100 lbs on them.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 06:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He has a SEVEN FOOT WINGSPAN and he played LT at Oklahoma.  He probably took time off after the season while most kids went right in to their training programs (which I have argued before is purely financial as so many are absolutely wasted by the time their rookie season rolls around, but you can see by this situation that it pays off for the player).  His tape was excellent.

The combine bench, and almost every other measure were dramatically improved at his Pro Day.  The bottom line for me is that there simply aren't many people with his physical characteristics and he was dominant in his play in college.  

I hope you are right with Pollack, but hope isn't a very good strategy.  It sure didn't work the past two years with respect to our offensive line. 

This article made me reconsider Brown in any round above round 4:
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/4/23/17261478/when-to-take-a-chance-on-orlando-brown-nfl-draft-2018

I did not mind us passing on him. If he were there in the 4th, I wouldn't have minded it, but we got better players with each of our first 4 picks.
Reply/Quote
I can't honestly say that I looked at tape on Jefferson, but everything I read about the guy said that he has really good physical talent and really poor instincts.   My experience tells me that you can't teach instincts (which makes Burfict so good) and instincts trump speed.

Having said that speed is one of the key things missing from our defensive backfield.  But both Vigil and (particularly) Evans are fast.   Both of them looked bad last year.

I love Hubbard as a person and a high floor guy, but 2 of our biggest problems last year were running the ball and stopping the run.  None of the players we took will make a difference in stopping the run and Sims is getting pretty old.  

Phillips is a deluxe run stopper who also has better than average penetrating skills and lateral ability - a step up from any of our run stuffers.  I would have taken him in a heartbeat over either Hubbard or Jefferson.

They must have some good confidence in Fisher and Hart.  But the only person who played right tackle somewhat effectively is no longer on the team.   It would have been worth trying Brown in the 3rd (along with Phillips) or Richardson/ Crosby in the 4th/ 5th.  

Those are my only real complaints.  And if I had to get it down to one it would be not taking Phillips in the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 11:30 AM)3wt Wrote: I can't honestly say that I looked at tape on Jefferson, but everything I read about the guy said that he has really good physical talent and really poor instincts.   My experience tells me that you can't teach instincts (which makes Burfict so good) and instincts trump speed.

Having said that speed is one of the key things missing from our defensive backfield.  But both Vigil and (particularly) Evans are fast.   Both of them looked bad last year.

I love Hubbard as a person and a high floor guy, but 2 of our biggest problems last year were running the ball and stopping the run.  None of the players we took will make a difference in stopping the run and Sims is getting pretty old.  

Phillips is a deluxe run stopper who also has better than average penetrating skills and lateral ability - a step up from any of our run stuffers.  I would have taken him in a heartbeat over either Hubbard or Jefferson.

They must have some good confidence in Fisher and Hart.  But the only person who played right tackle somewhat effectively is no longer on the team.   It would have been worth trying Brown in the 3rd (along with Phillips) or Richardson/ Crosby in the 4th/ 5th.  

Those are my only real complaints.  And if I had to get it down to one it would be not taking Phillips in the 3rd.

Think of him like Mauluga when we had him at MLB, having to make the calls slowed him down and made him have to process. With Jefferson I see him as more of a SAM or Will he gets the call knows his assignment and goes. When Texas let him play with less thinking he actually played really well. The other thing he gives us is a Nickle option, the guy runs a 4.5 40 and can cover TE which everyone has claimed we need to be better at.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:39 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Agree.  That was the 2015 draft:  It was pretty bad.

1.Ogbuehi 1st round bust.  

2. Fisher 2nd round probably a bust. 
3. Tyler Kroft
3. Dawson also third round.  No longer on the team.  
4. Josh Shaw 
4. Marcus Hardison also fourth round (no longer on the team)
5.  C.J. Uzomah
6. Derron Smith (No longer on the team)
7.Mario Alford (No longer on the team)

Holy jeesh thats bad. Thats like an entire lost year. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 06:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He has a SEVEN FOOT WINGSPAN and he played LT at Oklahoma.  He probably took time off after the season while most kids went right in to their training programs (which I have argued before is purely financial as so many are absolutely wasted by the time their rookie season rolls around, but you can see by this situation that it pays off for the player).  His tape was excellent.

Agreed.   They always say to watch the game tape and this guy is a mauler.  With our last ranked running team no one can convince me we couldn't use him at right tackle and that he's not better than anyone we have.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 11:50 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Holy jeesh thats bad. Thats like an entire lost year. 

2013 and 14 were just as bad.  
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 12:08 PM)yang Wrote: Agreed.   They always say to watch the game tape and this guy is a mauler.  With our last ranked running team no one can convince me we couldn't use him at right tackle and that he's not better than anyone we have.

This article makes some compelling points:
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/4/23/17261478/when-to-take-a-chance-on-orlando-brown-nfl-draft-2018
Reply/Quote
Jefferson kinda reminds me of Emmanuel Lamur. Hopefully 2014, 90 something tackle Lamur. Paulie G signed him in Oakland btw
Reply/Quote