Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome Sam Hubbard and Malik Jefferson!
(04-28-2018, 11:29 AM)Big Boss Wrote: The offensive line was the cause of much of the offense's woes.  Didn't open up holes for the run game, didn't give Dalton time in the pocket to go through his reads, didn't give receivers time to run their routes and get open.

I honestly believe with the additions of Cordy Glenn and billy price coupled with pollack coaching the line, our biggest problems on offense have been fixed. The whole dynamic of the offense will change with dalton undoubtedly getting more time and holes in the running game being opened with much more frequency.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There is no doubt they should have done more than they did last year, which was nothing but hope...and we saw how that panned out.

This year, they turned our first round pick in to Cordy Glenn, a VERY solid LT that is a proven talent.  They got one of the highest rated centers to come out of the draft in several years.  One source had only three centers ranked higher in the past 12 years (I believe it was) and all three of those centers became Pro Bowlers.  They were able to show last year at the end of the season (against two teams needing wins to make the post season) that they could average nearly 5 ypc and over 100 yard rushers (Mixon one game, Gio the other) with Boling at LT, Westerman at LG, and Redmond at RG.  They discovered they didn't just have one solid guard option, but two, behind Boling.  And they signed a massive man in Bobby Hart that will push Jake Fisher at RT.  Fisher has also been given a clean bill of health from his cardiologist.  

Now, all that being said, I would have liked to see Orlando Brown to take over the RT spot, but Hart might be something that Pollack wants.  Big, long, strong...And Pollack would know having faced him twice a year while at the Cowboys.  If he feels comfortable with the RTs he currently has on his staff then I will defer to his judgement.  They also are likely to sign Ced O for his fifth year, making him a swing backup at both tackle spots.  Ced has been a massive disappointment, but I will offer this one thing in his defense.  His injury last year prohibited him from ever playing with the different style of blocking scheme from Lazor and now Pollack.  He deserves a pre-season to show if he can be more useful in this manner.

I am glad they went after Hubbard and Jefferson, although I really like Phillips, and I am thrilled with the offensive line work thus far.

I approve of this message.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Funny, I always thought David Pollack looked like the lacrosse player from American Pie. The one they call Nova. LOL

You just gave Hubbard his new nickname.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You just gave Hubbard his new nickname.  

The mute girl from Planet of the Apes? Bad nickname for a football player...

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:25 AM)thegimp Wrote: UMMMM, pro day is underwear olympics, and no not every scout...there is/was plenty of commentary on his lack of hand position (which negates any wingspan), his terrible center of gravity (mainly his height, but also being very top heavy), and his baby bambi footwork in the passing game.  Sure you won't be able to bull rush this kid in the running game, but Brown is the type of RT that guys like Carlos have made a career out of.  

I guess we will see because he will likely be starting against us for Baltimore.  And if you can show me a scouting report dated pre-combine that didn't have Brown labeled at the very least a 2nd round pick, I will buy you a beer...

He went late third and was there for both of our 3rd round picks.  A tremendous value passed up.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Kroft

Technically, our base offense has one TE and three WRs....not a starter. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Technically, our base offense has one TE and three WRs....not a starter. 

He’s a perfectly capable starter when Eifert is out. Best of the bunch from that draft anyway.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I guess we will see because he will likely be starting against us for Baltimore.  And if you can show me a scouting report dated pre-combine that didn't have Brown labeled at the very least a 2nd round pick, I will buy you a beer...

He went late third and was there for both of our 3rd round picks.  A tremendous value passed up.  
http://nfldraftbible.com/scouting-report-orlando-brown-jr-oklahoma/

I wasn't able to find anything worth the beer, google maxes out regardless of search at the combine (there are 14 pages of articles about him no matter what you enter that only date back to March 1 even if you add the words January/February).  This touches on some of the things I saw/read.  I don't think he wasn't worth the third, I was just turned off by everyone clamoring for him in the first and second (not necessarily Bengal fans).  I dont see him as a plug and play day one starter.  He has weaknesses that can easily be exposed in the NFL, but those weaknesses can be coached up.  He has two skills that cannot be coached though, massive size and incredible strength on the field.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s a perfectly capable starter when Eifert is out. Best of the bunch from that draft anyway.

Agreed, and I like Kroft.  But the term starter isn't negotiable.  He only started because of an injury.  He won't see the field if Eifert is healthy.  And I don't think we will see too many two TE sets (which is too bad...keep waiting for Uzomah to show something...guy with his size and athleticism should be a red zone threat).
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There is no doubt they should have done more than they did last year, which was nothing but hope...and we saw how that panned out.

This year, they turned our first round pick in to Cordy Glenn, a VERY solid LT that is a proven talent.  They got one of the highest rated centers to come out of the draft in several years.  One source had only three centers ranked higher in the past 12 years (I believe it was) and all three of those centers became Pro Bowlers.  They were able to show last year at the end of the season (against two teams needing wins to make the post season) that they could average nearly 5 ypc and over 100 yard rushers (Mixon one game, Gio the other) with Boling at LT, Westerman at LG, and Redmond at RG.  They discovered they didn't just have one solid guard option, but two, behind Boling.  And they signed a massive man in Bobby Hart that will push Jake Fisher at RT.  Fisher has also been given a clean bill of health from his cardiologist.  

Now, all that being said, I would have liked to see Orlando Brown to take over the RT spot, but Hart might be something that Pollack wants.  Big, long, strong...And Pollack would know having faced him twice a year while at the Cowboys.  If he feels comfortable with the RTs he currently has on his staff then I will defer to his judgement.  They also are likely to sign Ced O for his fifth year, making him a swing backup at both tackle spots.  Ced has been a massive disappointment, but I will offer this one thing in his defense.  His injury last year prohibited him from ever playing with the different style of blocking scheme from Lazor and now Pollack.  He deserves a pre-season to show if he can be more useful in this manner.

I am glad they went after Hubbard and Jefferson, although I really like Phillips, and I am thrilled with the offensive line work thus far.

Oh I'm stoked with the Glenn and Price moves. Just not brimming with confidence in the guys on the other side. If I knew for sure that those were the guys Pollack wanted, then I'd feel better, but I don't know that. Maybe the front office doesn't feel like throwing money and picks at 4 different positions on the line in a single off-season. Maybe our other coaches want resources invested in their position groups.

Now this isn't to say I have zero hope for Hart or Redmond. I actually picked Hart as a sleeper candidate, but I guess I wanted some competition there at the very least. I have no hope for Ogbuehi - even as competition - nor do I want to spend $10 million on a former bust turned swing tackle that we never want to swing anywhere but the bench.

All of this could be moot point though. There's a few decent prospects left on the board.

(04-28-2018, 11:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You just gave Hubbard his new nickname.  

Nova? Not sure Hubbard could be this smooth.

LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:17 PM)thegimp Wrote: http://nfldraftbible.com/scouting-report-orlando-brown-jr-oklahoma/

I wasn't able to find anything worth the beer, google maxes out regardless of search at the combine (there are 14 pages of articles about him no matter what you enter that only date back to March 1 even if you add the words January/February).  This touches on some of the things I saw/read.  I don't think he wasn't worth the third, I was just turned off by everyone clamoring for him in the first and second (not necessarily Bengal fans).  I dont see him as a plug and play day one starter.  He has weaknesses that can easily be exposed in the NFL, but those weaknesses can be coached up.  He has two skills that cannot be coached though, massive size and incredible strength on the field.

I get sad when I read "Excels at wham blocks" as I believe that to be a Pollack staple....Groan.  

This hardly describes him as a third round pick, in fact, the author even goes on to say he could play Left or Right at the next level...I pictured him as a career RT, a la Big Willie.  

I understand that he has issues, but he is a rare human being.  When you have that kind of mass behind your punch, people get moved.  I could give a rat's ass about his bench press with a 7 foot wingspan and 345 lbs behind it...he just mauls people.  Would love to see these smaller speed rushers in the second half after leaning up against this guy all game.  Get his conditioning up, work on his balance, and this guy will dominate.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Oh I'm stoked with the Glenn and Price moves. Just not brimming with confidence in the guys on the other side. If I knew for sure that those were the guys Pollack wanted, then I'd feel better, but I don't know that. Maybe the front office doesn't feel like throwing money and picks at 4 different positions on the line in a single off-season. Maybe our other coaches want resources invested in their position groups.

Now this isn't to say I have zero hope for Hart or Redmond. I actually picked Hart as a sleeper candidate, but I guess I wanted some competition there at the very least. I have no hope for Ogbuehi - even as competition - nor do I want to spend $10 million on a former bust turned swing tackle that we never want to swing anywhere but the bench.

All of this could be moot point though. There's a few decent prospects left on the board.

LOL

As a newly single man, I need to work on my lines...I will keep this one handy  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s a perfectly capable starter when Eifert is out. Best of the bunch from that draft anyway.

I agree and think Kroft is our most complete TE and hopefully will just keep getting better as a receiver.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Oh I'm stoked with the Glenn and Price moves. Just not brimming with confidence in the guys on the other side. If I knew for sure that those were the guys Pollack wanted, then I'd feel better, but I don't know that. Maybe the front office doesn't feel like throwing money and picks at 4 different positions on the line in a single off-season. Maybe our other coaches want resources invested in their position groups.

LOL

Great coaches make average bad players good or in some cases great. If Pollack is better than PA, he needs take Paul's guys and be better, If not, it was not a bad OL coach, it was bad drafting to blame 100% for OL woes. We have one more year to get our answer in my opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I dont have a problem with these two picks, as they weren't reaches.

But not so sure about after drafting Price, they drafted 3 defensive players when they had one of the worst offenses last year. They must be banking on Eifert not getting hurt with Ross actually playing.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 04:16 AM)bengaltruth Wrote: Really? and how the hell do you know that? are you a god are something? do you have a crystal ball? All players have to hit the field for a year or two then we will know what we got. I think we improved the team by far this off season, this draft is addressing major holes from last year and it aint over yet.

Watch the tape. There not that good.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 11:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I guess we will see because he will likely be starting against us for Baltimore.  And if you can show me a scouting report dated pre-combine that didn't have Brown labeled at the very least a 2nd round pick, I will buy you a beer...

Yup it was stupid of us to pass him up.. he is a great run blocker.
Reply/Quote

O Brown?  His combine was NOT good at all.  He's LARGE but, did not do well in the bench press. much smaller guys performed, had prepped?   Worse, REAL slow 40.   hints he's NOT real mobile.   that said, He MAY do fine. However....I think the Bengals figure Pollack can do something with guys we already have.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 01:30 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I dont have a problem with these two picks, as they weren't reaches.

But not so sure about after drafting Price, they drafted 3 defensive players when they had one of the worst offenses last year. They must be banking on Eifert not getting hurt with Ross actually playing.

You can't be quick to give up on high picks. You just have to figure out WHY they have whatever setback.  i think we got some ' needs guys"  and maybe sleepers.  Count Glenn as part of it and it looks fine.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:04 AM)kevin Wrote: I'm loving this draft so far.  I know, it doesn't have typical WR's, RB, QB, TE, CB that Southern Ohio and Kentucky love.  I thought we have been drafting too heavy in these areas lately.  Finally a draft about BLOCKING AND TACKLING.  Center, Safety, D Line, Linebacker.  Weak Bengals were in dire need of Big Guys, not flashy finesse positions.   Bengals also got Buffalo Bills LT and LB.   You have to include them added to team.  Plus I think we added another free agent LB.   So glad Bengals addressing how pathetically weak their blocking and tackling has been lately.  Some in Cincinnati may not appreciate this off season, but an old NFL city like Green Bay would love bringing in blocking and tackling.  Still have Round 4 on coming, this isn't over.

^this^

We had to improve on both sides of the ball, so much so that it was nearly impossible to correct everything in just one year. While my hopes are definitely up for this coming season, I believe it won't be until 2019 that we'll see the completed task of upgrading more across the board. Still, by winning 7 games last season with that train wreck, things are looking tons better for 2018 especially for the second half of the season. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote