Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome Sam Hubbard and Malik Jefferson!
I don't feel blown away by tonight's picks and would've preferred seeing 1 more o-lineman. We did need new blood at all these positions, so I don't hate the picks, but it feels like we're leaving the line unfinished.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
To be honest I think O. Brown and Williams are both soft. I just knew Brown would go to Balt. I'm surprised more that we passed on Phillips, Crosby and Rankins. I thought we were high on Rankins, guess not. I'm not thrilled with the DE and I'm trusting their judgement on taking Bates over Reid and Harrison. Bama's front has a way of making their DB's look better than they really are sometimes. And maybe we are still interested in Reid's brother which would explain why we passed on him. Who knows, every year players we think will suck surprise us and guys we go nuts over never live up to the hype. I just have a feeling we decided to take an Ohio State C and Defensive player a year too late. Hope I'm wrong and Price eats ravens and Pitts out Browns for breakfast.
Reply/Quote
So much talent still left on the board to choose from.

Teams reached. That's cool it let the bengals draft these guys that had dropped but were actually more talented.
Reply/Quote
A couple of things. First, Malik Jefferson is the recipient of a free year of pizza. He was the 14th pick in the third round (3.14) so he gets free Pizza Hut. Congrats to him. I doubt he uses it much.

Second, I know plenty have said that MJ had to read the card of his replacement, but I don’t think he’s the only DE who should be worried. With us taking Willis, Lawson, and now Hubbard, I don’t think Dunlap is going to see as big of an extension as many expect. This shows me that Atkins is priority #1 when it comes to extensions.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 11:34 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: This is the worst draft we've had in years..price is about the only upside so far. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Really? and how the hell do you know that? are you a god are something? do you have a crystal ball? All players have to hit the field for a year or two then we will know what we got. I think we improved the team by far this off season, this draft is addressing major holes from last year and it aint over yet.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 01:08 AM)phil413 Wrote: That's good info on Hubbard there, I had Phillips higher easily but they preferred Hubbard.  They must see Hubbard's positives as a 4-3 DE being enough to justify cutting MJ and using the money toward securing one of the star DL.  I don't want to open the can of how they spend their money, but maybe they valued him as a day 1 back end rotation guy and passed on what we both see as the better player. 

I agree, I wonder to how much Colin Kaepernick maybe had an effect on this draft.

As crazy as it may seem the NFL did take a hit and drafting a Cincinnati boy, with an all American smile, it does help restore it's image. Like I said before it's impossible to hate the guy.

Having to bulk up 70 pounds in 3 years shows an incredible amount of work ethic, maybe he can become more used to the weight and drop some fat percent, add some muscle and drop his time to a 4.8 range.

Look at Tom Brady, look at Tim Krumrie both didn't have a great combine or pro day, they didn't have all these stats from college.

But they had that fire in their eyes, that legendary work ethic. The kind of guy you don't want to bet against. They had him in for a workout and visit, if I remember correctly, maybe they saw that in him.

If he becomes a great player, let's be honest he'd be beloved like a Pete Rose, he'd be Cincinnati's favorite son so to speak.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Am I the only one who doesn't care one iota about his 40 yard dash time?  The guy was a projected 1-2 round pick because he projects to be a penetrating, consistent rush type of player.  The opposite of Carl Lawson in some regards, but like Lawson has very good hand usage.  He may not bend the edge at blazing speed, but if he can put a clock on how long the qb can sit back and pat the ball and set the edge, he doesn't need to.  Jacksonville had a few players who had that consistent, penetrating sort of vibe to them last year and their defense was pretty good.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 04:16 AM)bengaltruth Wrote: Really? and how the hell do you know that? are you a god are something? do you have a crystal ball? All players have to hit the field for a year or two then we will know what we got. I think we improved the team by far this off season, this draft is addressing major holes from last year and it aint over yet.

Because these guys wanted Mason Rudolph — a position of no need, so they can continue their biased opinions against Andy the Red.
(I can’t wait to see AJ Mac suck it up in Buffalo, if he even gets a shot)

This has been a great draft so far, as someone else said, addressing blocking & tackling. Improve in these areas & Cincinnati is back in the playoffs.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 01:43 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't feel blown away by tonight's picks and would've preferred seeing 1 more o-lineman. We did need new blood at all these positions, so I don't hate the picks, but it feels like we're leaving the line unfinished.

Bingo! The right side is still a ? . Should have went after Hernandez or Cappa. Maybe there is a gem in the 4th. Let's hope.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 04:42 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: I agree, I wonder to how much Colin Kaepernick maybe had an effect on this draft.

As crazy as it may seem the NFL did take a hit and drafting a Cincinnati boy, with an all American smile, it does help restore it's image. Like I said before it's impossible to hate the guy.

Having to bulk up 70 pounds in 3 years shows an incredible amount of work ethic, maybe he can become more used to the weight and drop some fat percent, add some muscle and drop his time to a 4.8 range.

Look at Tom Brady, look at Tim Krumrie both didn't have a great combine or pro day, they didn't have all these stats from college.

But they had that fire in their eyes, that legendary work ethic. The kind of guy you don't want to bet against. They had him in for a workout and visit, if I remember correctly, maybe they saw that in him.

If he becomes a great player, let's be honest he'd be beloved like a Pete Rose, he'd be Cincinnati's favorite son so to speak.

I was kind of thinking along these lines.  The Bengals' attendance took a hit due to the general overall NFL boycott.  Now Mike Brown has drafted Ohio State and Cincinnati players, probably hoping to lure some fans back. Also one of the NFL Network announcers, after the first two picks, said it was clear the Bengals are looking for guys with a high football IQ.  So they want guys who are football smart and can learn what they need them to learn. Maybe Brown's thinking If they are Ohio natives or former Ohio players, that's even better to get fans interested again.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:49 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: It's hard to hate on Sam Hubbard because he's from Cincinnati. He probably dreamed of playing for us as a kid.

He might have had the highest football IQ of any defensive player this year. He has the heart and motor.

However, having said it's hard to hate on him, that's exactly what I'm about to do.

He had 42 tackles, I believe, and 7 sacks. The only reason he came out his JR year is because next year's DE class was stronger.

If he goes to the 5-7 round next year he's not gonna make as much.

I dare anybody to look at his tape and say his play blows you away, cause it won't. It's solid.

There's only 1 reason he declined to do the bench press and 40 yards dash at the combine. He's weaker in his lower body cause he's had to add 70 pounds in 3 years switching from safety to DE, physical speaking that's not all muscle mass. He did what 16 reps at his pro day?

He can develop his body to get stronger over the years, but it's when you couple that with the reason that he had to make the switch in the first place. He's slow. He runs a 5 flat in the 40 yard dash. If he's gonna have to get bigger to get stronger, then he'll also get slower potentially.

How many successful 5.1 running 4-3 DE'S can you think of in the NFL? He's smart and takes good angles. That can make up for it to a degree, but only a degree.

I think we should of took Phillips from Stanford.

Just look at his tape, then at Sam's. Then give me your honest opinion of who is better.

Regardless what you think of Hubbard, it is apples to oranges in comparing with Phillips... DE/LB to a DT... so the argument from your end would be more picking the DT over the flex player.. not Hubbard v. Phillips.  I also see DE as a larger need than DT.. Johnson could be cut, Dunlap might not be resigned and we lost Smith... we have Atkins locked in, so the need at DT is a bit less than need for DE
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 02:31 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: A couple of things. First, Malik Jefferson is the recipient of a free year of pizza. He was the 14th pick in the third round (3.14) so he gets free Pizza Hut. Congrats to him. I doubt he uses it much.

Second, I know plenty have said that MJ had to read the card of his replacement, but I don’t think he’s the only DE who should be worried. With us taking Willis, Lawson, and now Hubbard, I don’t think Dunlap is going to see as big of an extension as many expect. This shows me that Atkins is priority #1 when it comes to extensions.

I don't think Dunlap should be worried because you can never have too much pass rush. Its like Water 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Jefferson is fast and brutal when told to attack. When he has to play back is when he struggles. That can be coached, and I suspect Burfict will work with him and with his speed he will be a starting LB for us in no time. Have we ever taken a Longhorn before? I'm sure we have, I just don't remember one.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jefferson is fast and brutal when told to attack. When he has to play back is when he struggles. That can be coached, and I suspect Burfict will work with him and with his speed he will be a starting LB for us in no time. Have we ever taken a Longhorn before? I'm sure we have, I just don't remember one.

Roderick Muckleroy
Jordan Shipley

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 01:43 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't feel blown away by tonight's picks and would've preferred seeing 1 more o-lineman. We did need new blood at all these positions, so I don't hate the picks, but it feels like we're leaving the line unfinished.

This x 100

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:18 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Jefferson will be better than Vigil and probably better than Evans.

honestly,  can't be worse!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jefferson is fast and brutal when told to attack. When he has to play back is when he struggles. That can be coached, and I suspect Burfict will work with him and with his speed he will be a starting LB for us in no time. Have we ever taken a Longhorn before? I'm sure we have, I just don't remember one.

he's has terrible instincts.. would be bad to watch him drop n play zone.    bit he is fast n is explosive which is good 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 09:51 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: he's has terrible instincts.. would be bad to watch him drop n play zone.    bit he is fast n is explosive which is good 

He'll be a fantastic special teamer, while they coach him up to be a backup.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 12:04 AM)kevin Wrote: I'm loving this draft so far.  I know, it doesn't have typical WR's, RB, QB, TE, CB that Southern Ohio and Kentucky love.  I thought we have been drafting too heavy in these areas lately.  Finally a draft about BLOCKING AND TACKLING.  Center, Safety, D Line, Linebacker.  Weak Bengals were in dire need of Big Guys, not flashy finesse positions.   Bengals also got Buffalo Bills LT and LB.   You have to include them added to team.  Plus I think we added another free agent LB.   So glad Bengals addressing how pathetically weak their blocking and tackling has been lately.  Some in Cincinnati may not appreciate this off season, but an old NFL city like Green Bay would love bringing in blocking and tackling. Still have Round 4 on coming, this isn't over.

They’re addressing the fundamentals. Good post.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2018, 01:43 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't feel blown away by tonight's picks and would've preferred seeing 1 more o-lineman. We did need new blood at all these positions, so I don't hate the picks, but it feels like we're leaving the line unfinished.

7 picks today..... lot's of good players still out there....
Reply/Quote