Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome TE Hayden Hurst
According to WLW, he has had exactly 4 drops his entire career. I look for him to be a stopgap, and TE addressed in the draft.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 04:51 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Bro - this is a meh signing. Like he's fine, but no one is wetting their panties over Hayden Hurst. 

It's fine for what it is. A 1 year stop gap who is going to give you some production. 

I don't think anyone expected to be super excited given the TE free agents left .  But with Uzomah leaving that left a hole at TE.  The Bengals filled it with one the last few decent TEs remaining in free agency.   I just think it a bit odd when the Bengals use free agency to fit some needs, sign one, and then the response is "Meh."   What were they supposed to do in this situation?  Go to the draft and hope for a starter?  Make some big trade for someone like Kittle?   Gronk is most likely going back to play with his bromance Brady so that was off the table.   Who would you rather have seen the Bengals sign to fill the hole at TE?

Yeah it isn't a blow your socks off move, but the Bengals made a good move here and it certainly isn't "meh" in my opinion.  I mean to be honest aside from Uzomah's awesome attitude, he was a pretty "meh" TE as well.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 05:05 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I don't think anyone expected to be super excited given the TE free agents left .  But with Uzomah leaving that left a hole at TE.  The Bengals filled it with one the last few decent TEs remaining in free agency.   I just think it a bit odd when the Bengals use free agency to fit some needs, sign one, and then the response is "Meh."   What were they supposed to do in this situation?  Go to the draft and hope for a starter?  Make some big trade for someone like Kittle?   Gronk is most likely going back to play with his bromance Brady so that was off the table.  

Yeah it isn't a blow your socks off move, but the Bengals made a good move here and it certainly isn't "meh" in my opinion.  I mean to be honest aside from Uzomah's awesome attitude, he was a pretty "meh" TE as well.  

I mean there are still definitely better options out there (Gronk, Hooper, Everrett) but the Bengals don't need to go throwing the bag at TE. They have bigger needs which still need to be filled with quality players. 

It is what it is. Just an average player who will give you production and provides a stop gap...which is fine. He's got a cool name too.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
We got a great human being with this pic. The Hayden Hurst Family Foundation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQl-n2cLTKs
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
Interesting player comparison in his combine player profile. They comped him to Dallas Clark.

The pass catching threat from our TE spot just got a lot more dangerous.
Reply/Quote
This was a guy I was hoping they would look at to replace CJ. I think at worst he is a average TE with a pretty good upside as a receiving threat. I think he has one of the better catch % of all TE’s. He played behind Andrews in Baltimore and Kyle Pitts in ATL who is supposed to be a generational talented TE. No shame about either of those guys. I think Hurst just needs a chance to be the guy. He could improve as a blocker for sure. Overall I like the signing. I think we are gonna look back at this a year from now and be glad we made this move. 
Reply/Quote
Big fan of this. We still have to see how they use their remaining cap dollars and how the draft goes, but I think letting go of CJ and signing a cheaper short-term option while taking advantage of the deep TE draft class is such a smart play.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 05:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: According to WLW, he has had exactly 4 drops his entire career. I look for him to be a stopgap, and TE addressed in the draft.

Until the TE is a primary focal point of the Bengals offense, do they really need to invest considerable money into the position?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 04:55 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Just because they drafted a TE in the top 5 because he was the biggest freak athlete to ever come out at TE doesn’t mean they didn’t like Hurst.

Ravens traded him because Mark Andrews is a top 3 TE in the league. Atlanta just drafted a guy in the top 5, are too busy pursuing an expensive QB when they have a crazy expensive QB under contract already and they are in cap hell with a shitty team.

Didn’t read page 2. So I may be the first to say it.

Hurst is an upgrade from Uzi and I bet he cost less. Major win

WAITAMINUTE!  Isn't that the guy that was drafted by the Ravens in round 1 then they drafted Mark Andrews in round 3 in the same draft?  Then Mark became Lamar's favorite weapon making Hayden expendable?  Then Kyle Pitts came along to make him expendable yet again?  I'd say that this is an upgrade from Uzi.  Mostly for his receiving rather than his blocking.  Maybe this is the time for him to truly shine as a starter.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 04:32 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If he stays healthy he is by far our #1 TE and will be Burrow's release valve. He is a good football player, will know where to be and where to go.

Give him a chance....

Yep. He'll fill the hole CJ left, way better than Sample and we will see what a drafted TE can do. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think Hurst is a great signing if they sign Collins and a good Corner.

Then draft best player available in rounds 1-4. For example a very good DT or DB could drop to 31
Reply/Quote
Everyone seems to immediately go catching passes and forget we can't run on 4th and 1 or some TE's have no ability to block for teh QB. He is 6'4" and 260 and 28 years soon to be 29 years old.

Found this, just a blog but............

The Atlanta Falcons should bring back Hayden Hurst next ...https://bloggingdirty.com › 2022/01/20 › atlanta-falcon...
Jan 20, 2022 — Hayden's ability and willingness to block is much needed on a team that has a lot of undersized targets. Losing Hurst doesn't harm the ...
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 05:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Until the TE is a primary focal point of the Bengals offense, do they really need to invest considerable money into the position?

Nope. That's why CJ left town. My point was, we probably stayed put as far as TE production goes...broke even, if you will. He's sure handed, one drop per year ain't too shabby.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The Bengals got an experienced athletic TE on a 1 year deal. This guy is a better receiver threat than C J. But it’s a solid replacement none other.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 05:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Everyone seems to immediately go catching passes and forget we can't run on 4th and 1 or some TE's have no ability to block for teh QB. He is 6'4" and 260 and 28 years soon to be 29 years old.

Found this, just a blog but............

The Atlanta Falcons should bring back Hayden Hurst next ...https://bloggingdirty.com › 2022/01/20 › atlanta-falcon...
Jan 20, 2022 — Hayden's ability and willingness to block is much needed on a team that has a lot of undersized targets. Losing Hurst doesn't harm the ...

Sounds good to me.

Welcome Hayden Hurst!
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 05:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: Nope. That's why CJ left town. My point was, we probably stayed put as far as TE production goes...broke even, if you will. He's sure handed, one drop per year ain't too shabby.

Breaking even for less money is a win. 

Hurst is likely a better receiver whi can get downfield more.  He has some more versatility in where he lines up (FB, wide). Not as good a blocker, probably. 

Again, I'd expect a mid-round TE pick (3rd to 6th). 
Reply/Quote
Nice add for a year and then trade-up to take Michael Mayer next year!

Hayden's not a superstar but he's exactly what we need! A solid route runner to catch the balls in the middle of the field and up the seam!

I love the add! The front office is doing work!

GO GET GILMORE!
Reply/Quote