Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome TE Hayden Hurst
(03-17-2022, 06:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Gronkowski in 2020 had 45 catches on 77 targets.

That's worse than Hurst in 2020

Yep and Gronk still had more production than Hurst because he has a higher YPR. 13.8 vs 10.2.

You are free to think that Hurst is going to be an upgrade based on your analysis/calculations.
I'm free to think he isn't going to be much of one based on mine.
At the end of the day, we have to wait until they actually play to see who ends up being right.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 06:45 PM)Frank Booth Wrote:  The catch rate will always be lower on a team that slings it constantly due to the running game being abysmal

Uh, that is not true at all.  We had a horrible run game but finished 2nd in the league in completion percentage.

The Raiders were 28th in rushing but 4th in completion percentage.

Packers were 18th in rushing but 6th in completion percentage

Bucs were 26th in rushing but 8th in completion percentage.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 06:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yep and Gronk still had more production than Hurst because he has a higher YPR. 13.8 vs 10.2.

sure

but that catch rate% was worse than Hurst's in 2020, and Gronk had the advantage of playing with Brady and that stacked offense 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 06:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Uh, that is not true at all.  We had a horrible run game but finished 2nd in the league in completion percentage.

The Raiders were 28th in rushing but 4th in completion percentage.

Packers were 18th in rushing but 6th in completion percentage

Bucs were 26th in rushing but 8th in completion percentage.

yes, but the bengals in 2021 had 4.0 ypc 

Falcons in 2020 had a truly abysmal 3.7 ypc

and like I said, 2020 Matt Ryan and his top 3 receivers were nowhere near 2021 Burrow and his top 3 receivers
Reply/Quote
I think the 1 year contract is appropriate. Without getting into the whole depression/mental illness thing, a guy who asks for a trade less than 2 years into his rookie contract may not be the type of personality we want on the team. A one year deal to see how well he fits in and meshes (as well as check out his production) makes sense.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
After reading 7+ pages on this thread and looking around online, I don't have an issue with this. Would have been to see someone come in that's a sure star at the position, but a) I don't think that's necessary given how the Bengals' offense utilizes the role, b) who's to say Hurst won't increase his production in a system QB'd by Burrow.

Up until a couple of days ago most were fine keeping CJ on the roster and noted his production and skills were enough. If Hurst ends up being a roughly 1:1 equivalent and at less money (and potentially opening some options in the draft for next year's roster), I don't see how this move should be a major concern by anyone.

It's not flashy, but not every FA move has to be.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:20 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: After reading 7+ pages on this thread and looking around online, I don't have an issue with this.  Would have been to see someone come in that's a sure star at the position, but a) I don't think that's necessary given how the Bengals' offense utilizes the role, b) who's to say Hurst won't increase his production in a system QB'd by Burrow.  

Up until a couple of days ago most were fine keeping CJ on the roster and noted his production and skills were enough.  If Hurst ends up being a roughly 1:1 equivalent and at less money (and potentially opening some options in the draft for next year's roster), I don't see how this move should be a major concern by anyone.

It's not flashy, but not every FA move has to be.

It's better than nothing. If he were a #2 TE, it would be OK.

Hopefully we draft one in the 2nd or 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 05:46 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Ravens 2018 draft

1 Hayden Hurst
1 Lamar
3 Orlando Brown
3 Mark Andrews

Hurst was Ozzie’s last first pick in the draft

According to your list there Lamar was his last first pick. Or did someone else come in and make that one?
Reply/Quote
I actually really like this signing.

He’s got a clean injury history (upgrade over Uzo and other TEs available).
He’s versatile—can block, run, catch.
He’s got great speed for a TE and great catching ability.

I’m curious to find out the dollar amounts (but would assume we saved money with this signing).
All in all this seems like a slight upgrade from Uzo or worst case an even replacement for less money.

I say we’ll done. Of course we won’t be able to afford him next year and will need to find another diamond in the rough. But nice signing.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's better than nothing. If he were a #2 TE, it would be OK.

You will come around to Hurst....

Reply/Quote
Good signing. No need to spend big on a TE, much bigger fish to fry.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:30 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You will come around to Hurst....

I dont get the hate

at worst he replicates Uzomah's 2021. AND he's cheaper
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:30 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You will come around to Hurst....

I feel like when he was a Raven that I liked the way he played.

I don't hate the signing. I just don't love it.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's better than nothing. If he were a #2 TE, it would be OK.

Way better than nothing (or Sample as TE1)!  And how many people a year ago were wanting CJ replaced?  He performed better with Burrow throwing to him than he'd performed ever before.  I really don't know that I see a TE getting much more production than what we saw CJ get last year unless Burrow changes his approach to check-downs.  I'm good with the team drafting one if there's a solid option since this is a 1-year deal, but I have no problems at all with this signing right now.  
Reply/Quote
Do folks loving it or hating it know how much he signed for?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Agree.  I think he'll be formidable but shouldn't be in our long term plans.  

Baltimore does a good job of evaluating talent.  Hurst wanted to be a #1 TE.  Baltimore brought him in (I guess) to compete with Andrews and Andrews won.  They knew he couldn't compete for #1 (he openly stated he wanted to be a #1) and they shipped him off to ATL.  

I think it's safe to say the bar for Hurst will be something like 50/500/5.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do folks loving it or hating it know how much he signed for?

1 year 6M i think.

Reply/Quote
It's not CJ or Gronk and if only outside signing left it is a letdown but I have to agree with those who say the TE position just isn't important with the wideouts we have. Not important enough to drop a big chunk of money. I think Burrow can work him in the offense enough to make the signing worth while.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:24 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: According to your list there Lamar was his last first pick. Or did someone else come in and make that one?

I didn't say first rounder. Just first pick. He is the guy Ozzie picked ahead of all those other guys he picked later. In his last draft as Baltimore's GM.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:32 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I dont get the hate

at worst he replicates Uzomah's 2021. AND he's cheaper

I think some of the hate comes from people thinking the Bengals would sign Gronk because of his tweets or whatever about Burrow.  As soon as Brady unretired I think that was off the table so Gronk can play another year with his buddy. The Bengals were never going to spend big on a TE and that's why they let Uzomah walk.  TE is not a big part of the passing offense when you have Boyd, Higgins, and Chase. 

Hurst is good value low risk signing especially considering after Uzomah left the next TE on the depth chart was Sample.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote