Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome TE Hayden Hurst
(03-17-2022, 08:53 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m not sure that Hurst isn’t more of a vertical threat. I think it’s a wash but C J I’ll sure miss.

he might be but overall he is not the player CJ has become but he fills a gap, im guessing TE will be taken in top 4 picks this year
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well stats and play have not shown it of late.. also CJ is a much better blocker.. you want to bet that ? he is a 1 year gap player most likely, hopefully we draft a decent TE this year.. 

CJ was not known as anything more than an average blocker.

Here you go:

Hurst has more yards and receptions this season as CJ had this past season.

Hurst has more yards and receptions this season as CJ will have this season.

Hurst will be extended after this season.

Let me know the wager. 

(We will have an injury qualifier)

I do not disagree that we will draft a TE.

Reply/Quote
I'm indifferent about the signing. We needed to upgrade at TE (whether or not CJ was here) but this seems more of a lateral move. I assume Hurst wasnt our first choice so we snagged our 2nd / 3rd choice. While I'm glad we didn't overpay here, I was hoping for a more explosive TE. Maybe in next years draft?

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:57 PM)jeremydc Wrote: I'm indifferent about the signing. We needed to upgrade at TE (whether or not CJ was here) but this seems more of a lateral move. I assume Hurst wasnt our first choice so we snagged our 2nd / 3rd choice. While I'm glad we didn't overpay here, I was hoping for a more explosive TE. Maybe in next years draft?
as long as we have the big 3 here, there is no need to break the bank for an elite TE

and Hurst at his best is a top 15 tight end
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:59 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: as long as we have the big 3 here, there is no need to break the bank for an elite TE

and Hurst at his best is a top 15 tight end

We should have spent a little more but i get it. Money is being spent better elsewhere.

Reply/Quote
Hurst is a good pass catcher and has some athleticism at the position

Not mad
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Hayden hurst will have similar production to CJ, maybe better at half the cost. Think of this this way.

First round pick in 2018, mark andrews was a third round pick in 2018.

Obviously andrews is better, but andrews is top 5 at his position and that can’t be argued.

So…
2018- second fiddle to andrews
2019 - second fiddle to andrews
2020- first option in ATL (56-571-6)
2021 - second option to a generational Kyle pitts

I see no reason not to expect 50-500-5 with upside… assuming sample is his primary competition.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:52 PM)casear2727 Wrote: CJ was not known as anything more than an average blocker.

Here you go:

Hurst has more yards and receptions this season as CJ had this past season.

Hurst has more yards and receptions this season as CJ will have this season.

Hurst will be extended after this season.

Let me know the wager. 

(We will have an injury qualifier)

I do not disagree that we will draft a TE.

I agree with everything except the last point. I would change they wager to hurst will sign with another team for 3 years 21-24 million… kinda like CJ.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:57 PM)jeremydc Wrote: I'm indifferent about the signing. We needed to upgrade at TE (whether or not CJ was here) but this seems more of a lateral move. I assume Hurst wasnt our first choice so we snagged our 2nd / 3rd choice. While I'm glad we didn't overpay here, I was hoping for a more explosive TE. Maybe in next years draft?

Using resources (draft/free agent$$$) on an elite pass catching TE is not a good value with the trio of WRs we have.

It is like buying premium high-octane gas for your Sentra.
Reply/Quote
I assume a lot of this love for Hurst goes back to when he was drafted in the first round by our division rivals. He was the first TE taken in the draft. A pretty hot prospect.

I'd love to see him bust out with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I assume a lot of this love for Hurst goes back to when he was drafted in the first round by our division rivals.  He was the first TE taken in the draft.  A pretty hot prospect.

OK, I misread it the first time. I just saw bust and sadly I am sober.

I agree, I hope he busts out and has a career year both receiving and blocking 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I assume a lot of this love for Hurst goes back to when he was drafted in the first round by our division rivals. He was the first TE taken in the draft. A pretty hot prospect.

I’m not sure many LOVE the signing. It’s a lateral move, with upside.This is a fiscally responsible move by the bengals. Like you said in another post, for an offense that has, arguably, the best WR room in the nfl… and one that doesn’t feature the TE, this makes a lot of sense.

If we lost someone like a Kelce and replaced with Hurst that would be a downgrade. CJ/Hurst is kind of like Reiff/Moses, from a productivity standpoint, IMO. Thats why I wanted to see an Upgrade at RT, which is much more important to this offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:24 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I agree with everything except the last point.  I would change they wager to hurst will sign with another team for 3 years 21-24 million… kinda like CJ.

Counting on Hurst and Joe developing a connection. He was a high profile 1st Rounder under utilized due to Andrews, went to Atlanta under utilized due to Pitts.  So he has been at 2 places with high hopes, maybe he finds a home here with a great QB....?

He would be great to groom a young guy that would eventually replace Sample.

Total speculation on my part - we can come back and check this time next year.

Reply/Quote
Really enjoyed watching CJ but like this deal for the Bengals as long as they spend the $$ somewhere
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Counting on Hurst and Joe developing a connection. He was a high profile 1st Rounder under utilized due to Andrews, went to Atlanta under utilized due to Pitts.  So he has been at 2 places with high hopes, maybe he finds a home here with a great QB....?

He would be great to groom a young guy that would eventually replace Sample.

Total speculation on my part - we can come back and check this time next year.

I just don’t see them committing a bunch of dollars to a tight end. I could be wrong. Any competent TE would be successful in this offense, and likely a top 16 TE. Replace hurst with Gerald Everett, Blake Jarwin, OJ Howard, CJ… results all +/- 10%.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 11:01 PM)bk42 Wrote: Really enjoyed watching CJ but like this deal for the Bengals as long as they spend the $$ somewhere

Get Collins the rest is gravy. Tretter would be an over the moon signing.

But even just collins and filling out the roster allows for BPa.
Reply/Quote
Even if you think Uzo was a little better than Hurst there is no way Uzo is better than Hurst plus $4.5 million.

That is the way to look at it.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 11:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even if you think Uzo was a little better than Hurst there is no way Uzo is better than Hurst plus $4.5 million.

That is the way to look at it.

100%

But I think Hurst has even a little more upside.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 11:01 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I just don’t see them committing a bunch of dollars to a tight end.  I could be wrong.  Any competent TE would be successful in this offense, and likely a top 16 TE.  Replace hurst with Gerald Everett, Blake Jarwin, OJ Howard, CJ… results all +/- 10%.

I dont disagree. I followed Hurst at SC and he seems like a guy that would stay with a good relationship with Joe and winning.... of course dollars matter., but he is the type of guy that it may not be the #1 factor.  He also has a foundation that is very special to him that could take roots here.

I could be pathetically wrong, just my thoughts.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I assume a lot of this love for Hurst goes back to when he was drafted in the first round by our division rivals.  He was the first TE taken in the draft.  A pretty hot prospect.

Well for me outside of the Bengals its really just fantasy football. Hurst was relevant in 2020 in fantasy football. Plus his highlights show that he has some good quickness and ability to make big plays. 
Reply/Quote