Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome To Bengals Ryan Finley
(04-27-2019, 01:33 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I see Phillip Rivers in this guy.

They both went to NC State, but that’s about it. Finley lacks the arm strength to be a legit starter. A possible upgrade at backup QB, but that’s likely it. Given the major hole that still exists at LB, it’s a meh kind of pick.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 03:46 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: They both went to NC State, but that’s about it. Finley lacks the arm strength to be a legit starter. A possible upgrade at backup QB, but that’s likely it. Given the major hole that still exists at LB, it’s a meh kind of pick.

Disagree with everything you said. They said the same thing about Drew Brees and his arm strength before he came into the league. Finley is accurate and smart and fits Zac Taylor's and Callahan's system. He is a lot like Goff but smarter.

Pratt is a huge upgrade at Linebacker and Tem is now our Linebacker coach who can work with all these guys and get them up to par. Coaching is what was needed here, good coaching.

Austin and Haslett were terrible.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Go cry in your beer, damn.

Just ignore him.

There seems to be a crybaby contest going on here.  If he was legit worried about the defense you would see him complimenting the selection of Wren, but instead he is afraid that would cost him points in the "Crybaby Cup".
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 03:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Disagree with everything you said. They said the same thing about Drew Brees and his arm strength before he came into the league. Finley is accurate and smart and fits Zac Taylor's and Callahan's system. He is a lot like Goff but smarter.

Pratt is a huge upgrade at Linebacker and Tem is now our Linebacker coach who can work with all these guys and get them up to par. Coaching is what was needed here, good coaching.

Brees was insanely accurate at Purdue and carried a bunch of underachievers to relevancy. The Brees Purdue squads knocked off some big boys and punched way above their weight. When has Finley elevated NC State? He got Wally Pipped at Boise by Rypien (who was arguably a better choice), went to NC State, and presided over middle of the pack NC State squads that have sent multiple guys into the NFL. Brees made a legend out of Vinnie Sutherland. I’m glad the Bengals got a QB, but do not see Finley as Dalton’s eventual replacement.
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 03:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Disagree with everything you said. They said the same thing about Drew Brees and his arm strength before he came into the league. Finley is accurate and smart and fits Zac Taylor's and Callahan's system. He is a lot like Goff but smarter.

Pratt is a quality addition. The problem is the Bengals arguably need 2 additional quality LB’s. Preston Brown is a 90’s backer stuck in 2019. Jefferson is raw. Vigil is meh. The rest are easily replaceable. The LB group is still the weakest position group on the team
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
Driskells replacement nice. I see a smaller Nick Foles
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 04:14 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Brees was insanely accurate at Purdue and carried a bunch of underachievers to relevancy. The Brees Purdue squads knocked off some big boys and punched way above their weight. When has Finley elevated NC State? He got Wally Pipped at Boise by Rypien (who was arguably a better choice), went to NC State, and presided over middle of the pack NC State squads that have sent multiple guys into the NFL. Brees made a legend out of Vinnie Sutherland. I’m glad the Bengals got a QB, but do not see Finley as Dalton’s eventual replacement.

We don't need a replacement for Dalton dude. We just needed a decent backup to fill in in case Dalton goes down.

I am expecting a monster year from Dalton where he shuts most of the haters up.

With Jonah Williams and Drew Sample added to the team he will have some blockers.

We already have the skill players.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 04:17 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Pratt is a quality addition. The problem is the Bengals arguably need 2 additional quality LB’s. Preston Brown is a 90’s backer stuck in 2019. Jefferson is raw. Vigil is meh. The rest are easily replaceable. The LB group is still the weakest position group on the team

All can be fixed would good coaching.
Reply/Quote
I really like the Finley pick!  I saw this youtube breakdown of his film here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjRIkfBqyuQ

I think he has a lot of upside, and its encouraging to see Cincy move up for him!  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 04:31 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I really like the Finley pick!  I saw this youtube breakdown of his film here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjRIkfBqyuQ

I think he has a lot of upside, and its encouraging to see Cincy move up for him!  

See post #29.

Welcome to the boards, though!  ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 04:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We don't need a replacement for Dalton dude. We just needed a decent backup to fill in in case Dalton goes down.

I am expecting a monster year from Dalton where he shuts most of the haters up.

With Jonah Williams and Drew Sample added to the team he will have some blockers.

We already have the skill players.

Intelligent move to grab a QB with basically the same skill set as Dalton. That means no major adjustment by coaches or players if he has to come in and play.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I read thru the thread but missed that post oops!

Thanks for the welcome to the board, long time lurker, first time poster.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 04:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All can be fixed would good coaching.

Hard to fix slow (Brown,Nickerson,Vigil), or poor instincts (Jefferson,Evans). There’s a reason the LB corps is terrible. Getting rid of Haslett may help, but it’s not going to make chicken salad out of this mess. Not trying to argue for arguments sake, we will just agree to disagree.
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 04:39 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Intelligent move to grab a QB with basically the same skill set as Dalton. That means no major adjustment by coaches or players if he has to come in and play.

True that, seems like with Marv lots of times we were trying to fill round holes with square pegs. Didn't fit, with Taylor he clearly has a plan and is filling the holes his way to fit HIS system, i love it.

(04-27-2019, 04:49 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I read thru the thread but missed that post oops!

Thanks for the welcome to the board, long time lurker, first time poster.

Welcome aboard the best message board in the land!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 04:55 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Hard to fix slow (Brown,Nickerson,Vigil), or poor instincts (Jefferson,Evans). There’s a reason the LB corps is terrible. Getting rid of Haslett may help, but it’s not going to make chicken salad out of this mess. Not trying to argue for arguments sake, we will just agree to disagree.

Okay, we disagree, Pratt, Jefferson, Vigil and especially Evans are not slow though.

Our Linebackers were out of position since Haslett got here, hard to judge the Linebackers when they are put in a bad position by a terrible coach. It will help having Tem over Haslett, believe me brother.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 05:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Okay, we disagree, Pratt, Jefferson, Vigil and especially Evans are not slow though.

Our Linebackers were out of position since Haslett got here, hard to judge the Linebackers when they are put in a bad position by a terrible coach. It will help having Tem over Haslett, believe me brother.

Didn’t call Jefferson, Pratt, or Evans slow. Read the post. Vigil isn’t a glacier, but he’s not fast. LB’s that run high 4.6’s and low 4.7’s are not fast.
Through 2023

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Go cry in your beer, damn.

We got Germaine Pratt who is a great cover and tackling Linebacker. That is what this Defense needed and namely a new LB coach.

Austin and Haslett were the biggest problems on Defense, they are gone and replaced with Lou, Tem and Pratt.

I believe our Defense will be very good this year and our Offense will be lights out giving our Defense the rest they need.

Pratt was almost exclusively an old school run stuffing LB and rarely covered.  We don't really know he can cover and will probably just be asked to do short routes/ RB coverage.  He will come of the field in nickel in favor of Vigil and Brown.

The sad part is we needed someone to replace Brown that can cover because he is horrible.   Aside from being crushed when the Steelers took Bush, I thought we would still draft a faster coverage backer.  Let's hope Malik took some smart pills in the offseason. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 05:05 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Didn’t call Jefferson, Pratt, or Evans slow. Read the post. Vigil isn’t a glacier, but he’s not fast. LB’s that run high 4.6’s and low 4.7’s are not fast.

I did read it, you listed Nickerson who won't even be on the roster...
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 05:09 PM)yang Wrote: Pratt was almost exclusively an old school run stuffing LB and rarely covered.  We don't really know he can cover and will probably just be asked to do short routes/ RB coverage.  He will come of the field in nickel in favor of Vigil and Brown.

The sad part is we needed someone to replace Brown that can cover because he is horrible.   Aside from being crushed when the Steelers took Bush, I thought we would still draft a faster coverage backer.  Let's hope Malik took some smart pills in the offseason. 

Pratt was a Safety before he was a Linebacker, he can cover.

I like him much better than Devin Bush in this facet and he is a better tackler than Bush.

Bush is an athletic freak that is not good at wrapping up. Mixon will put this guy on his a**.
Reply/Quote
If Dalton doesn't step it up this year we have our future QB waiting in the wings. Great move, and if Belichick is rumoured to like you it just solidifies it.
Reply/Quote