Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Welcome to The Jungle Charlie Jones
(04-29-2023, 04:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He torched Joey Porter Jr while at Purdue.

And DJ Turner. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 04:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Interesting prospect, but his best chance of dressing on game days is going to be to win the return jobs.

Precisely. He's likely a punt returner Year 1. Maybe that's all he does.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 04:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Always like Charlie Jones anytime I watched him whether it was at Iowa or Purdue. Surest hands in this Draft or right there, is a
good Returner, runs crisp routes, is clutch. Perfect Boyd replacement after this year. Great pick.

Yeah I have always been very impressed too , and he showed pretty well during predraft evaluation. Great pick.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Precisely. He's likely a punt returner Year 1. Maybe that's all he does.

He's going to get on the field in year 1. And not just returning punts. He's going to be good IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 03:34 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Bye bye Boyd.   Hope you get a third contract outside the NFC North.  It’s just business.

Exactly.This is definately meant to be Boyd's replacement,when he leave in free agency
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 04:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You all think every draft pick is going to come in and be a top Pro.

AND we're in the afc north.
He will be Boyd's replacement,when he leaves in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 04:42 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: why are fans so eager and excited to say bye to good players? I dont get it. I love Boyd

No one is eager to see Boyd leave.But they can't pay 3 receivers, 20 some million a year, each.Boyd is the odd man out.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 07:53 PM)bengalsboy Wrote: No one is eager to see Boyd leave.But they can't pay 3 receivers, 20 some million a year, each.Boyd is the odd man out.

idk, saying "bye bye" comes off as a little odd to me

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
The next great slot WR in the NFL. Was a guy I wanted this whole draft process.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 07:41 PM)bengalsboy Wrote: Exactly.This is definately meant to be Boyd's replacement,when he leave in free agency

I dunno, Iosivas might just give him a run for his money. Either way, both have time to develop into their respective roles on the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 08:41 PM)J24 Wrote: The next great slot WR in the NFL. Was a guy I wanted this whole draft process.

Is he? I'm not dogging on him, but he was definitely not a slot receiver in college. He rarely ever played there. It got me curious to see what big time slot receivers in the NFL did in college and all of the ones I have looked at played a significant amount of snaps in the slot. For his entire career, roughly 26% of his snaps came from the slot with a small majority of them coming in 2018 and he was far from effective that season. The last two seasons, he has logged only 13% of his snaps from the slot, with 2022 only being 11%. It was also by far his most successful season. 

I'd be curious to know how many boundary receivers go from rarely playing in the slot to it becoming their primary role and succeeding. It may not be as big of a jump as I am imagining but it looks like the vast majority of NFL slot receivers also received substantial time in the slot during college. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 06:29 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: And DJ Turner. 

That is saying something. I saw DJ Turner matchup on in my opinion is the next best WR to come out in Marvin Harrison Jr 
and he held his own pretty well. That guy will beat anybody, but DJ Turner just has those great hips that you cannot teach.

DJ Turner could be a great one for us down the road and so could Charlie Jones. Love this guy.

(04-29-2023, 07:18 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Yeah I have always been very impressed too , and he showed pretty well during predraft evaluation.    Great pick.

He always stood out to me as one of if not the best players when watching him on either team. Always great effort, always the 
guy that looked like the true football player and just did not make mistakes. Rare in college and to get a guy this polished is rare
in the 4th Round. Damn good Returner too with speed and quicks.

(04-29-2023, 08:41 PM)J24 Wrote: The next great slot WR in the NFL. Was a guy I wanted this whole draft process.

Wouldn't of minded Charlie in the 2nd, just like Boyd. That is why this Draft is really good and oh yeah, Chase Brown.

(04-29-2023, 08:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I dunno, Iosivas might just give him a run for his money. Either way, both have time to develop into their respective roles on the team.

Still raw, Iosivas could be a great down field threat as a rookie, he just better not drop the ball. He is just like Watson of the Pack
and we all saw those deep ball drops by him early last season. Charlie is pro ready right frickin' now and should step in no problem 
if one of the top 3 go down. I cannot say that with Iosivas this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 08:59 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Is he? I'm not dogging on him, but he was definitely not a slot receiver in college. He rarely ever played there. It got me curious to see what big time slot receivers in the NFL did in college and all of the ones I have looked at played a significant amount of snaps in the slot. For his entire career, roughly 26% of his snaps came from the slot with a small majority of them coming in 2018 and he was far from effective that season. The last two seasons, he has logged only 13% of his snaps from the slot, with 2022 only being 11%. It was also by far his most successful season. 

I'd be curious to know how many boundary receivers go from rarely playing in the slot to it becoming their primary role and succeeding. It may not be as big of a jump as I am imagining but it looks like the vast majority of NFL slot receivers also received substantial time in the slot during college. 

We don't need him to be a Slot WR, Ja'Marr Chase just shreds people there. We just needed a WR that is a crisp route runner with sure
hands that is smart and clutch in case Boyd leaves after this season. Charlie Jones fits this to a T.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 08:59 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Is he? I'm not dogging on him, but he was definitely not a slot receiver in college. He rarely ever played there. It got me curious to see what big time slot receivers in the NFL did in college and all of the ones I have looked at played a significant amount of snaps in the slot. For his entire career, roughly 26% of his snaps came from the slot with a small majority of them coming in 2018 and he was far from effective that season. The last two seasons, he has logged only 13% of his snaps from the slot, with 2022 only being 11%. It was also by far his most successful season. 

Do you have Boyd’s slot shared at Pitt handy? He played all over at Pitt but I don’t think he played a majority in the slot. Similarly Jarvis Landry was mainly outside at LSU and move into the slot midway into his career.
Reply/Quote
24.3 years old as a negative. Hilarious

I'll spin it to he joins the team with maturity and a grit that helped him make it to the NFL since he wasn't positioned to do so at age 20.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 09:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: Do you have Boyd’s slot shared at Pitt handy? He played all over at Pitt but I don’t think he played a majority in the slot. Similarly Jarvis Landry was mainly outside at LSU and move into the slot midway into his career.

Yep and we have our WR's move all over the place. Versatility is a key and we have that with Charlie.

We got Boyd this year and I hope we win a SB with him, one of my fave Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 09:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: Do you have Boyd’s slot shared at Pitt handy? He played all over at Pitt but I don’t think he played a majority in the slot. Similarly Jarvis Landry was mainly outside at LSU and move into the slot midway into his career.

Yessir. Boyd played roughly 49% of his snaps in the slot during his time at Pitt. Jarvis Landry must have played just before PFF started collecting college data. I have nothing on him.

One example I did find was Chris Godwin. He played <10% of his college snaps from the slot and has transitioned to being a slot receiver nicely. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 09:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We don't need him to be a Slot WR, Ja'Marr Chase just shreds people there. We just needed a WR that is a crisp route runner with sure
hands that is smart and clutch in case Boyd leaves after this season. Charlie Jones fits this to a T.

Chase is very dangerous in the slot but he doesn't play there much. Boyd is far and away the slot receiver.
Reply/Quote