Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Welcome to The Jungle Charlie Jones
(05-01-2023, 12:49 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: 4-5 years is a fairly long time, if it works out that way.

I agree. But their are also some very good slot guys in the draft next year as well. So we'll see.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 12:52 AM)pulses Wrote: I agree. But their are also some very good slot guys in the draft next year as well. So we'll see.

Maybe he can be a healthy, and faster, version of Jordan Shipley, that can also return kicks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 12:49 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: 4-5 years is a fairly long time, if it works out that way.

Exactly, and it has Jones around for the Bengals Super Bowl winning window with Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 04:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Interesting prospect, but his best chance of dressing on game days is going to be to win the return jobs.

I think he will and will win the #4 WR role.  Dude was an absolute beast.  Like a faster Jordan Shipley.  Can uncover quickly and has ability to play both slot AND outside WR.  He isn't a slot-only prospect.  Destroyed Joey Porter, Jr. in head-to-head matchup.  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 09:23 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: 24.3 years old as a negative.  Hilarious

I'll spin it to he joins the team with maturity and a grit that helped him make it to the NFL since he wasn't positioned to do so at age 20.

He doesn't have a lot of wear and tear....didn't get many opportunities until he transferred to Purdue, where he lit it up.  I don't want an older prospect that has played 4 seasons and had a lot of abuse.  He isn't that.  Love the pick.  
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 04:23 PM)pulses Wrote: They drafted Jones to eventually replace Boyd it's clearly easy to see. 5'11 175 lb guys are SLOT guys in the NFL. He has all the tools to be a very good slot guy in this league. Yes he played outside in college but he won't for us. Additionally I think Lassiter has a good chance this year as well.

We need to stop putting guys in to boxes based on their size, etc.  Some might have said the same about John Ross, who was the same height and about 15 lbs heavier.  He was an outside guy.  Jones has outstanding versatility, and perhaps what I love the most is he can uncover QUICKLY.  If you are going to double Higgins and Chase, you need your #3 WR to be able to get open quick to give Burrow an option when Chris Jones is bearing down on him.  He will likely be a slot WR, but it doesn't mean he will play exclusively in the slot.  Sometimes they want to give Chase that free release.  Jones can still stretch the field outside.  

That is a big reason they lost that AFC Championship game (I realize Boyd got injured, but he still isn't someone I would say uncovers quickly).

They also lost it because they had no pass rush and they have added a beast in the first round.  They needed those two things addressed and Jones, and the RB Chase Brown, will be outstanding options in that arena.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 08:10 PM)pulses Wrote: Never know. If  Iosivas develops into a good outside threat they could always move Chase to slot.

That's the key.  Unpredictable.  Put the defense in conflict.   Chase can more to slot and Jones outside and then flip flop the next snap.   
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 12:57 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Maybe he can be a healthy, and faster, version of Jordan Shipley, that can also return kicks.

Yep.  People will say that comparison is only because they are both white, but he does come from that higher production background while not being typical NFL size.  Shipley had 52 receptions for 600 yards and 3 TDs as a rookie.  He was also 24 when he was drafted.  Immediate impact on a team that is trying to win now?  Yes, please.

Oh, and Shipley ran a 4.62 in the forty, not the 4.43 ran by Jones.

Another interesting parallel?  Shipley had Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson commanding a lot of attention outside.  Jones would have Chase and Higgins commanding a lot of attention outside.  

Boyd has been the ultimate team player.  I am sure they will rotate Jones in a few series early, and then on 4 WR sets.  

I'm excited to have this reliable, shifty, and fast option.  
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 10:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think he will and will win the #4 WR role.  Dude was an absolute beast.  Like a faster Jordan Shipley.  Can uncover quickly and has ability to play both slot AND outside WR.  He isn't a slot-only prospect.  Destroyed Joey Porter, Jr. in head-to-head matchup.  

Playing in the BIG 10, we know that he likely saw high quality coverage defenders on a weekly basis.  However, when you look at Lance Zierline's breakdown of his strengths and weaknesses, he paints it like Jones is predictable into his cuts and can't get past anyone.  What gives?

Quote:Weaknesses
  • Lacking suddenness to shake press.
  • Has trouble blowing by tight man coverage downfield.
  • Adjusts stride level, alerting coverage of impending break.
  • Has trouble uncovering consistently on all levels.
  • High percentage of tries are contested.
  • Catch radius is very modest.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 11:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Playing in the BIG 10, we know that he likely saw high quality coverage defenders on a weekly basis.  However, when you look at Lance Zierline's breakdown of his strengths and weaknesses, he paints it like Jones is predictable into his cuts and can't get past anyone.  What gives?

No idea, but the guy had 110 catches and was the primary weapon that teams had to key to stop.  He has great hands, and he played more outside in college than slot.  He projects as a slot WR here, but he can still be used outside, which will make them less predictable.  I can't wait to see 4 WR packages and have him on the field with Chase, Higgins, and Boyd.  Should be fun.  
Reply/Quote