Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Welcome to The Jungle Charlie Jones
(04-29-2023, 09:29 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yessir. Boyd played roughly 49% of his snaps in the slot during his time at Pitt. Jarvis Landry must have played just before PFF started collecting college data. I have nothing on him.

One example I did find was Chris Godwin. He played <10% of his college snaps from the slot and has transitioned to being a slot receiver nicely. 

Less than 50% for Boyd isn’t primarily a slot guy (eyes).

Jones is looked at as a slot guy because of his size, it’s hard to play outside the numbers because of the angles with his height. That said moving outside in is generally understood as an easy transition because it gives you a natural two way go that doesn’t exist in wider splits. If you can make it on the outside like he has you’ll make it inside.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 10:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: Less than 50% for Boyd isn’t primarily a slot guy (eyes).

Jones is looked at as a slot guy because of his size, it’s hard to play outside the numbers because of the angles with his height. That said moving outside in is generally understood as an easy transition because it gives you a natural two way go that doesn’t exist in wider splits. If you can make it on the outside like he has you’ll make it inside.

Okay, that makes sense. I was wondering if the answer would be something like "If you have the ability to play outside, moving inside is easy". I would guess that the inverse is more difficult to do as well. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 03:35 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Wonder why he transferred.   Iowas offense had ZERO receivers and was the worst in football. Why couldn’t he start there?

Wonder why people post just silly crap?
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 04:10 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Typo.  Thanks.  

And I don’t think he will be a top pro.  I think he will be a viable option for slot snaps next year. 

Viable option does not replace Tyler Boyd in the slot.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 04:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't think anyone is excited for Boyd to leave. It is just extremely likely, so we have to prepare for it.

Why is it extremely likely? Not to mention Jones did not really play in the slot at Purdue he played outside. If Jones is a replacement for anyone currently on the roster it is most likely Trent Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 03:20 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Why is it extremely likely? Not to mention Jones did not really play in the slot at Purdue he played outside. If Jones is a replacement for anyone currently on the roster it is most likely Trent Taylor.

Charlie Jones was drafted to be their future 5th stringer? Wow..

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 03:22 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Charlie Jones was drafted to be their future 5th stringer? Wow..

Just curious who you are wowing?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 03:30 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Just curious who you are wowing?

Your thought process. Trent Taylor is the 5th wr on the depth chart

They drafted Charlie Jones in the 4th round to be their WR 5 of the future? That is...I’m speechless if that is cincy’s plan/what you legitimately think

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 03:35 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Wonder why he transferred.   Iowas offense had ZERO receivers and was the worst in football. Why couldn’t he start there?
It's not about starting but about getting the best chance to make an audition tape for NFL teams. See below.
(04-29-2023, 05:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, much better QB at Purdue as well. Iowa's QB play was terrible....

And, with no other good receivers, he'd get doubled every play at Iowa and wouldn't have a chance to showcase what he can do.

I'm liking the pick more and more.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 03:48 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Your thought process. Trent Taylor is the 5th wr on the depth chart

They drafted Charlie Jones in the 4th round to be their WR 5 of the future? That is...I’m speechless if that is cincy’s plan/what you legitimately think

There's a floor and a ceiling.

Charlie Jones was drafted 131 which is close to mid day 3. He was brought in to compete as a punt/kick returner in 2023 because they have been looking for that guy for a couple years. The upside is that he was a highly productive receiver in the Big 10 although he is thin like most of this draft class at 5'11 175ish. He is a smoother than fast athlete that has a little open field speed with really good hands. He has the upside to compete for Tyler Boyd spot in 2024 but I wouldn't automatically say a day 3 pick will be Boyd's replacement with another FA/draft between now and then. In 2023 he will be the 4th or 5th WR and maybe the returner. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 03:20 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Why is it extremely likely? Not to mention Jones did not really play in the slot at Purdue he played outside. If Jones is a replacement for anyone currently on the roster it is most likely Trent Taylor.

They drafted Jones to eventually replace Boyd it's clearly easy to see. 5'11 175 lb guys are SLOT guys in the NFL. He has all the tools to be a very good slot guy in this league. Yes he played outside in college but he won't for us. Additionally I think Lassiter has a good chance this year as well.
Reply/Quote
Charlie Jones is an interesting prospect. His punt return highlights were amazing, but he tends to dance and run laterally a lot. His receiving highlights were also great, but most of them came against bad to middle of the pack teams. We’ll have to wait and see how whether or not Jones’ style will work at the NFL level.

He’ll probably take the punt return job at minimum. He could become a threat in the receiving team, or he could become a Chris Evans style fan favorite who rarely gets snaps on offense.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 09:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Chase is very dangerous in the slot but he doesn't play there much. Boyd is far and away the slot receiver.

Doesn't mean Chase couldn't play there more...
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 05:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't mean Chase couldn't play there more...

Chase could be the best slot in the game if that's where they wanted to play him.
Reply/Quote

You think we are going to extend Tee, Chase and Boyd? I find that highly unlikely.

Charlie Jones should be able to move to the Slot easily when needed and no, he won't be our last WR, he will be our 4th WR this year
replacing Irwin in his role last year pretty damn sure. Jones also should replace Taylor as the Returner because he is more explosive
there and he has the sure hands. Taylor only has the sure hands.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 05:42 PM)pulses Wrote: Chase could be the best slot in the game if that's where they wanted to play him.

Sure could, some of his best games he played in the Slot the majority of the time.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 05:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure could, some of his best games he played in the Slot the majority of the time.

Never know. If  Iosivas develops into a good outside threat they could always move Chase to slot.
Reply/Quote
Welcome to The Jungle, "C Sizzle" !

Kid is pretty clutch.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Charlie is up there in age and likely not Boyd’s replacement long term.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2023, 10:40 PM)jj22 Wrote: Charlie is up there in age and likely not Boyd’s replacement long term.

4-5 years is a fairly long time, if it works out that way.
Reply/Quote