Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well Surprise Surprise. Same 'Ole
Marvin Lewis quote:

"Lewis on Free Agency: Being active is taking care of our own folks and then it goes from there. We are going to bring people to the org that fits."

https://twitter.com/pauldehnerjr/status/969575693167288320

Well wasn't he just saying after his re-signing that the team NEEDS to be more active in free agency and it hasn't done that enough in the past?

He certainly is singing a different tune less than a month later.

Can we start a pool about whether this team will go over or under .500 this season? Count me in as under...
Reply/Quote
Our only big free agent this year was gouing to be Eifert, and now he is just a reclamation project.

Kevin Minter ($4.25 mil) and Andre Smith ($3.25) are the highest paid plaayers from last year who are now free agents.

Huber is a very good punter, but we can still re-sign him for peanuts compared to position players.

So I hope to god he is talking about extending Atkins and Dunlap who will be free agents next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 01:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: Marvin Lewis quote:

"Lewis on Free Agency: Being active is taking care of our own folks and then it goes from there. We are going to bring people to the org that fits."

Well wasn't he just saying after his re-signing that the team NEEDS to be more active in free agency and it hasn't done that enough in the past?

Can we start a pool about whether this team will go over or under .500 this season? Count me in as under...

The way this team approaches FA is the same way some people approach dating.  For example, they are in a relationship that they aren't thrilled about but would rather keep going with what they know rather than move on and look for something better because they fear they won't find better or it's too risky to find better.

EDIT - Also this because the Bengals seem to let the really good ones walk but keep some of the cheaper ones...
[Image: tumblr_inline_omhrl2XwB81smgkdx_540.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Uh huh.... Right.

Over/under we lose both Atkins and Dunlap??
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 01:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our only big free agent this year was gouing to be Eifert, and now he is just a reclamation project.

Kevin Minter ($4.25 mil) and Andre Smith ($3.25) are the highest paid plaayers from last year who are now free agents.

Huber is a very good punter, but we can still re-sign him for peanuts compared to position players.

So I hope to god he is talking about extending Atkins and Dunlap who will be free agents next year.
This is Mikes way of skirting on spending money. If you don’t have free agents in-house this year, extend someone who will be a free agent the following year. That way you can spend more on them since they’re a year younger. I’m not against extending early on team beneficial deals but don’t forget to minus what you were already paying them this year to still have money to spend in free agency. Mike thinks that fans can’t figure that out.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 01:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our only big free agent this year was gouing to be Eifert, and now he is just a reclamation project.

This 

but then it gets frustrating when they say this then turn around and let Whit, Zeitler and Nelson type players walk

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 02:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 02:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: TidyWarmheartedInchworm-max-1mb.gif]
Reply/Quote
Shrugs. You should have never fell for that line to begin with. Marvin was just trying to make it seem like he was a hot commodity on the open market and MB caved in order to re-sign him.

Truth is, MB was being cheap and lazy, and Marvin had no bargaining chips to even demand anything.

It's always groundhogs day this time of the year (and Wildcard weekend if we ever make it to that weekend). Just need the first round pick to not contribute and the cycle will continue.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 02:03 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Uh huh.... Right.

Over/under we lose both Atkins and Dunlap??

Reply/Quote
Actions speak louder than words.

These are the same words lets see if there are some different actions before we say same ole same ole.

Sure, i would bet that it is the same ole same ole.

But i am not going to get down before FA even starts because of something the Merv says.
Reply/Quote
Love The Talking Heads gifs BTW. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 01:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: Marvin Lewis quote:

what is different about saying we will extend our own and hunt in free agency?   our own free agents are also free agents and we don't wanna lose more like we did last year (at least the important ones)
Reply/Quote
Same old lack of urgency. Outsiders are scary!

Profit margin > than winning percentage.

Nothing will change until ebenezer is out. And even, only maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Anyone else want to join Fred and I on the island where we actually like the team drafting talent and keeping their own FAs?

I don't think signing FA talent is a guaranteed path to success at all. Not sustained success, anyway. I've never been particularly bummed the Bengals don't sign anyone, but have typically loved their trades.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 03:22 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Anyone else want to join Fred and I on the island where we actually like the team drafting talent and keeping their own FAs?

I don't think signing FA talent is a guaranteed path to success at all. Not sustained success, anyway. I've never been particularly bummed the Bengals don't sign anyone, but have typically loved their trades.

Yeah man, Charlie Joiner, Coy Bacon, and James Brooks were great trades. Mellow

Ninja LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

(03-02-2018, 03:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: what is different about saying we will extend our own and hunt in free agency?   our own free agents are also free agents and we don't wanna lose more like we did last year (at least the important ones)

Couldn't agree more...

You put those two together and it sounds like Andrew Whitworth money to me, right?

Last season, who wouldn't have rather had Whitworth + whatever backup Tackle & backup run stopping MLB they already had on the roster over NO Whitworth + Minter & Smith? Because, that was the choice there.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 03:22 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Anyone else want to join Fred and I on the island where we actually like the team drafting talent and keeping their own FAs?

I don’t mind keeping our own and drafting well.

I can’t stand the annual 3rd tier free agents that come in that don’t seem to do much. I don’t expect them to set the market on a position for an outsider but they could spend a little more and get a better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2018, 03:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah man, Charlie Joiner, Coy Bacon, and James Brooks were great trades. Mellow

Ninja LMAO

I was referencing more Marvin Lewis era trades, not Carter and Regan administration deals. HA!  Hilarious

Joiner for Bacon kind of washes for me. Bacon went to the probowl for the Bengals twice! On the other hand, the Chargers were pioneers in airing it out back then, so who knows if Joiner would have done the same with the Bengals. Remember, Joiner was on the Oilers until being traded TO the Bengals. So, they had the right idea. Ha!

The trade FOR James Brooks was the best in Bengals history!

The trade for Deltha O'Neal was very good.
The Reggie Nelson trade, awesome.
The trade for Brian Leonard was excellent
The Carson Trade was outstanding

The AJ McCarron trade would have been an unbelievable haul.
Reply/Quote