Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well.....Well....Well...
(06-25-2018, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It is my understanding that SH only brought it up after being asked about it. But if you already dislike someone you're going to paint them with the worst brush you can find. Also, I thought her response was quite tame. SHS is not to be blamed here regardless how hard some people try.

I agree with you up until the last sentence. There is a potential ethics violation in that being tweeted from the official @PressSec account.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-25-2018, 01:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It was already getting significant attention before Sanders' tweet. There was a Yelp war going on Friday night before she commented.

Wow. Today was the first time I heard about the waiter saying anything. First saw it on twitter after Sanders whined on her official account about it. I figured the Yelp (lol) war started in earnest after that.

Quote:No, but this was also a different situation. The owner was declining his business to host a campaign event, not just to serve Biden and his family. That incident is being thrown around a lot after this, but it is also on a different level and should not be used to draw a comparison.

Nonetheless was it not about a political statement? He refused business based on the politics of the person asking.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-25-2018, 02:13 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Was Biden going there for business or for a "visit"?

Yes?
(06-25-2018, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It is my understanding that SH only brought it up after being asked about it. But if you already dislike someone you're going to paint them with the worst brush you can find. Also, I thought her response was quite tame. SHS is not to be blamed here regardless how hard some people try.

Oh, she's not a fault for being thrown out.

"some people" might think she should have used her personal account versus her government one...which she is at fault for.

But then "some people" have ethics.
(06-25-2018, 02:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Anyone with an ounce of rational knows she was asked to leave because of politics.

What does this suggest:

That the owner doesn't feel Sanders complies with their stated standards of "honesty, and compassion, and cooperation." Mellow

In all seriousness, every interaction we have with other people is rife with politics, and they invest everything we do. In its simplest form politics is about people deciding how to live side-by-side in communities, large and small. Because of this, saying things like it was "nothing BUT politics" oversimplifies what is going on and overlooks the nuance of the situation. Overlooking nuance is why we are as polarized a society as we are.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-25-2018, 02:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm just saying that these things point to the situation not being as simple as being "nothing BUT politics" as you claimed. At least to me, anyway.

I get it. It's because of Trump and, sure, maybe he's the worst president we've ever had, but the fact remains that they still made a decision based on politics.
(06-25-2018, 02:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I agree with you up until the last sentence. There is a potential ethics violation in that being tweeted from the official @PressSec account.

She should take a clue from Hills and understand that it is only ethical to post everything from your private account.

WTS, sure folks are going to try to place the blame on the other foot. It is my understanding that she was asked about it on her PressSec account and provided a tame response. She really never slurred the business directly.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-25-2018, 02:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That the owner doesn't feel Sanders complies with their stated standards of "honesty, and compassion, and cooperation." Mellow

In all seriousness, every interaction we have with other people is rife with politics, and they invest everything we do. In its simplest form politics is about people deciding how to live side-by-side in communities, large and small. Because of this, saying things like it was "nothing BUT politics" oversimplifies what is going on and overlooks the nuance of the situation. Overlooking nuance is why we are as polarized a society as we are.

This was nothing BUT her politics. All you have to do is read the quotes and not take a little snippit. It's only "nuanced" if you are looking for an excuse, which I think none is required. I get that you want to side with the restaurant's intollerence; but it is what it is.

(06-25-2018, 02:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes?

Going there because he wanted to pick up some donuts and being refused is different than calling up saying he was going to "visit" the bakery and being refused. Refusing a politician's campaign stop (so to speak) is different than refusing service. 
(06-25-2018, 02:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This was nothing BUT her politics. All you have to do is read the quotes and not take a little snippit. It's only "nuanced" if you are looking for an excuse, which I think none is required. I get that you want to side with the restaurant's intollerence; but it is what it is.

I haven't really kept up with this thread, I'll admit...but what are you saying the establishment is being intolerant of/towards?  
(06-25-2018, 02:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This was nothing BUT her politics. All you have to do is read the quotes and not take a little snippit. It's only "nuanced" if you are looking for an excuse, which I think none is required. I get that you want to side with the restaurant's intollerence; but it is what it is.

Everything is nuanced. Nothing is 100% this or that when talking about these sorts of things.

My opinion on the incident itself is that they shouldn't have asked her to leave, but they have the right to do so. The intolerance of the restaurant towards Ms. Sanders is, indeed, what it is. But it isn't intolerance towards conservatives or Republicans, otherwise there would be a lot more people turned out from their restaurant.

(06-25-2018, 02:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I haven't really kept up with this thread, I'll admit...but what are you saying the establishment is being intolerant of/towards?  

Another's public political views. But political view is not a protected class so the restaurant was within its rights to deny service and I thought all parties involved did so in a professional manner. EXCEPT for the waiter that made it public.

(06-25-2018, 02:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Everything is nuanced. Nothing is 100% this or that when talking about these sorts of things.

My opinion on the incident itself is that they shouldn't have asked her to leave, but they have the right to do so. The intolerance of the restaurant towards Ms. Sanders is, indeed, what it is. But it isn't intolerance towards conservatives or Republicans, otherwise there would be a lot more people turned out from their restaurant.

I think the restaurant made it quite clear in this case was her direct relationship with her employer. Of course she's not going to kick out every conservative (they have the money), but to suggest this was anything other than Political is not a stance I can get behind.

(06-25-2018, 02:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the restaurant made it quite clear in this case was her direct relationship with her employer. Of course she's not going to kick out every conservative (they have the money), but to suggest this was anything other than Political is not a stance I can get behind.

Is SHS representative enough of the average Republican to deduce that all Republicans should be on notice there?  Ye gods, I hope not.
I wonder how they screen everyone else to see if they fit their standards.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-25-2018, 02:40 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Going there because he wanted to pick up some donuts and being refused is different than calling up saying he was going to "visit" the bakery and being refused. Refusing a politician's campaign stop (so to speak) is different than refusing service. 

Yes it is.
(06-25-2018, 03:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I wonder how they screen everyone else to see if they fit their standards.

Probably what they see them say on television.
(06-25-2018, 03:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I wonder how they screen everyone else to see if they fit their standards.

That depends on whom else they have refused to serve over the years.  Right now the list stands as Sarah Huckabee Sanders, so getting on their shat list might take a lot more than the average person is able to do.
(06-25-2018, 02:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Anyone with an ounce of rational knows she was asked to leave because of politics.

What does this suggest:

WTS, I have zero issue with what the owner did, she made it clear what she will not tolerate, Now the episode with Secretary Nielsen was far worse IMO

Secretary Nielson went into that Mexican Restaurant to troll them and got exactly what she deserved. You don't take black babies from people and put them in child concentration camps and then go visit a soul food restaurant for lunch right when you get finished defending your actions on live tv.

She knew what she was doing, and I bet her and Trump thought it was funny. He was sending a lot of his administration out to troll Mexicans that day.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/stephen-miller-heckled-mexican-restaurant-washington-dc-2018-6

Let's not condone this immature and indecent behavior. Take the kids fine if you agree with that. But don't go rubbing it in peoples face. We as people must do better.

This was a tacky move, that only Trump supporters seem to get their kicks out of.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Quote:She first spoke with her employees, who disagreed with Sanders' defense of Trump's discriminatory ban on transgender Americans who want to serve in the military and her recent defense of Trump's un-American family separation policy.

That sounds like politics to me.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall