Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Well liberals is it time to stop July 4th being a holiday?
https://www.foxnews.com/media/liberals-cori-bush-ben-jerrys-attack-us-july-4th-stolen-land-gleeful-white-supremacists

Our nation has gone bonkers. Our nation has forgotten and trampled on any veteran who fought so we can have free speech. These people have every right to tell s their feelings, we have every right to dismiss their unpatriotic views of the US.

I saw black people, hispanics , asians and white people celebrating the 4th of July each year. Now we are to believe black, hispanics and asians are " white supremacists" for loving their country.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The blessing of being an American is that we all get to celebrate or not celebrate holidays the way we each choose.

There is no movement to get rid of the 4th as a holiday any more than there was a movement to stop the world from saying Merry Christmas but hey don't let they truth get in the way of a new conspiracy theory

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2023, 01:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.foxnews.com/media/liberals-cori-bush-ben-jerrys-attack-us-july-4th-stolen-land-gleeful-white-supremacists

Our nation has gone bonkers. Our nation has forgotten and trampled on any veteran who fought so we can have free speech. These people have every right to tell s their feelings, we have every right to dismiss their unpatriotic views of the US.

I saw black people, hispanics , asians and white people celebrating the 4th of July each year. Now we are to believe black, hispanics and asians are " white supremacists" for loving their country.

I know it's really hot in Florida but you might want to go outside for a while.  Or at least change the channel occasionally.

Quote:Progressive activist Bree Newsome Bass, who garnered national attention when she removed the Confederate flag in front of a monument at the South Carolina statehouse in 2015, sent several tweets criticizing America.

Somehow you spun that into asking liberals if they want to end Independence Day?

You're older than me so I'm sure you know there have ALWAYS been outliers who say things like this...even in the "good old days".

The other two tweets were at least factual...lol.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
I always like the people who want to give land back in some other state. It all belonged to Native Americans at some point.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Don't much care as long as I get my paid holiday.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2023, 01:47 PM)pally Wrote: The blessing of being an American is that we all get to celebrate or not celebrate holidays the way we each choose.

There is no movement to get rid of the 4th as a holiday any more than there was a movement to stop the world from saying Merry Christmas but hey don't let they truth get in the way of a new conspiracy theory

I asked a simple question based on some on the left who seem to hate our independence, but likely take the holiday and not work.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I don't even see where she suggested that July 4th not be a holiday. Regardless, if she is suggesting that, it is a minority view and not at all indicative of liberal viewpoints.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2023, 05:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I asked a simple question based on some on the left who seem to hate our independence, but likely take the holiday and not work.

Considering, that Rep Bush's ancestors in this country probably didn't receive "Independence" on July 4th 1776, did you ever stop to think maybe she had a valid point?  Its called, understanding the actual history of this country.  

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2023, 01:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.foxnews.com/media/liberals-cori-bush-ben-jerrys-attack-us-july-4th-stolen-land-gleeful-white-supremacists

Oh my, FOX is busy these days and so are you. Is there ever a bait you don't take.

It's interesting how you associate the 4th of July with complaints that you "are to believe" absurd things because some people said something, as if they took your freedom away by doing first amendment stuff. And then treat those people as if they represented all liberals, which is just as fair as reducing the GOP to Marjorie Greene.

But yes, claiming that everyone waiving a flag is either a white supremacist or gleefully ignorant is quite a stupid thing to tweet.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2023, 05:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I asked a simple question based on some on the left who seem to hate our independence, but likely take the holiday and not work.

I hate that we aren't still under the thumb of the British monarchy.  This country's bold defiance of God granted divine right shant go unpunished!
Reply/Quote
Cori Bush is an utter POS, but she doesn't represent all liberals any more than Boebert represents all conservatives. And she didn't call for an end to the 4th, her demands were much dumber than that.
Reply/Quote

Fredrick Douglas' Forth of July speech in 1852 perfectly encapsulates how one can be abundantly grateful for America, while vehemently condemning it as well; being equally patriotic in both instances.

Reply/Quote
If you're not aware of him Douglas Murray is an author and speaker who rejects the current "liberal" agenda and castigation of Western society.  His debate with Malcolm Gladwell is a master class at dissecting and refuting a bad faith arguer.  But he was on Piers Morgan recently (not a fan of Piers usually) and addressed this idea of reparations for slavery or other past wrongs.  It's a quick watch so I'd urge you to give it a shot.  It's extremely well stated.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2023, 07:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If you're not aware of him Douglas Murray is an author and speaker who rejects the current "liberal" agenda and castigation of Western society.  His debate with Malcolm Gladwell is a master class at dissecting and refuting a bad faith arguer.  But he was on Piers Morgan recently (not a fan of Piers usually) and addressed this idea of reparations for slavery or other past wrongs.  It's a quick watch so I'd urge you to give it a shot.  It's extremely well stated.

So, I am certinaly not advocationg for 14 trillion dollar reparation plans. But these arguments have at least a shade of whataboutism about it. Eg. the US should imho avoid to compare itself to Arab countries, on the grounds that being better as them is expected. But mostly, I feel the arguments negate that in all the examples listed, people from now different nations and soieties are concerned. While in the US case, it's about people of the same nation that form one society. Imho, that puts a different light on it.
Reply/Quote
Holidays are for commies ! Let's go to work !!!

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2023, 01:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: I know it's really hot in Florida but you might want to go outside for a while.  Or at least change the channel occasionally.

Somehow you spun that into asking liberals if they want to end Independence Day?

You're older than me so I'm sure you know there have ALWAYS been outliers who say things like this...even in the "good old days".

The other two tweets were at least factual...lol.
"Liberals from Cori Bush to Ben & Jerry's attack US on July 4th: 'Stolen land,' 'gleeful White supremacist'

Guess you missed that portion of the article.

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 11:02 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: "Liberals from Cori Bush to Ben & Jerry's attack US on July 4th: 'Stolen land,' 'gleeful White supremacist'

Guess you missed that portion of the article.

telling the truth is not attacking.  Europeans claimed lands, often by force, that weren't theirs to claim without any compensation for its previous owners...American history 101 

Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 10:42 AM)hollodero Wrote: So, I am certinaly not advocationg for 14 trillion dollar reparation plans. But these arguments have at least a shade of whataboutism about it. Eg. the US should imho avoid to compare itself to Arab countries, on the grounds that being better as them is expected. But mostly, I feel the arguments negate that in all the examples listed, people from now different nations and soieties are concerned. While in the US case, it's about people of the same nation that form one society. Imho, that puts a different light on it.

In order to make his main point the other countries have to be addressed as well.  That main point being that the only countries that are castigated and held to task on this issue are the ones that A. actually care about the issue and have made corrective action about it, and B. are the main destination for immigrants precisely because of the opportunities they present and their willingness to confront uncomfortable issues.

It's like having a room full of fifty criminals, all guilty of the same crime and plenty of evidence to prove it.  Two of the fifty confess and express remorse and they are the only two that receive any punishment.  He perfectly encapsulates why even people who genuinely care about this issue are sick of their nose being constantly pushed in it.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 11:01 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Holidays are for commies ! Let's go to work !!!

My father in law, who passed in 2020, was a registered Democrat who voted Republican and one who hated holidays because he couldn't go to work and his wife and family wanted him to be around for dinner or a picnic or whatever.  Good guy, hard working guy but hated that he was forced to take a day off.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 11:57 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In order to make his main point the other countries have to be addressed as well.  That main point being that the only countries that are castigated and held to task on this issue are the ones that A. actually care about the issue and have made corrective action about it, and B. are the main destination for immigrants precisely because of the opportunities they present and their willingness to confront uncomfortable issues.

It's like having a room full of fifty criminals, all guilty of the same crime and plenty of evidence to prove it.  Two of the fifty confess and express remorse and they are the only two that receive any punishment.  He perfectly encapsulates why even people who genuinely care about this issue are sick of their nose being constantly pushed in it.

I get the last sentence, I'm not coming down on the opposite side of the argument. As for the rest, I think this is a distorted picture, as in the US actually needs not care about other nations in the world and how they deal with historic wrongdoing. This is not a global trial where one could claim to be punished more severely than other countries for the same wrongdoing and that this were unfair. We wouldn't be quite so accepting if say China claims what they did (and do) to the Uyghurs should not be redeemed or even mentioned much since other countries did even worse things to their minorities and got away with it. Doesn't make it right or excusable.

Not to mention that again, it is not a global trial, it's not the world demanding from the US to hold themselves to task, it's coming from within your own society. Who cares if 48 others somewhere on the globe don't see things quite the same way. Still can't shake the feeling that this is global whataboutism.

And what I do not get is the point with the US and other countries being a top destination for immigrants. Sure it's true and wealth, opportunities, freedom and the relative absence of racism play a big part in that, but that again is just an indicator that these countries are better than some dire places in the world, not that they are actually good enough and need to be seen as absolved for all historical sin. And one could probably argue that especially the wealth was in part created on the backs of slavery or in Europe's case, colonization, which adds a bit of a sour note to the argument.
Reply/Quote