Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Were the injuries too much to overcome this year?
(11-26-2018, 06:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: O come on, 13 guys on Injured Reserve is a number no team can overcome.

What's the excuse for last year?

How about the 25 previous years?
Reply/Quote
No it wasn't..

It was the minute Lewis was re-signed...thats when the 2018 season ended.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 06:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: O come on, 13 guys on Injured Reserve is a number no team can overcome.

2010 Packers won the Super Bowl with exactly 13 guys on I.R.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5923437
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
If everything went right, this was a team competing for a Wild Card. Every time a piece got knocked off, there was a decline. For a while, they gutted it out, pulled out a couple wins against mediocre teams but you could see the overall decline.

The injuries took their toll, for sure. But the rapid decline of the defense was mortifying. It was worse that last year right from the start and then went on to get worse. The effort wasn't there, the football IQ just vaporized. Can a DC really coach everybody down? Where the hell did it go? Last year's defense would not have lost to Cleveland or the Ratbirds, no matter who the LB's were.

Bad schemes, bad execution, no ***** heart at all for way too much of the year. Mind boggling.

And then the offense couldn't get it done when they lost AJ because they didn't believe they could, except maybe Mixon and Boyd, who are completely outplaying the vast majority of their teammates. And then it seemed to all get to be too much for the QB, and probably rightly so. And this is where we are.

And to top it all off, Marvin's answer to every question is, we have to be better. Well, no shit, Sherlock. But just how the hell do you plan on doing that?

The defense played a much better second half yesterday. Was that a sign or Cleveland easing up on the gas?

I'm not calling Driskel a savior or anything close. But he did provide spark. Maybe he won't be the total bum, Donald Hollis, AJM, etc., that he's already been proclaimed to be. It would make Sundays a little more worthwhile if he could play well. I don't see the future, so I don't know what he can do until he does it and I'm willing to see what happens.

Obviously, the season is hanging by a thread and it's hard to see it getting any better. But what the hell, never say never. But there's got to be some serious stepping up and we probably just plain don't have the ability.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 09:52 PM)McC Wrote: If everything went right, this was a team competing for a Wild Card.  Every time a piece got knocked off, there was a decline.   For a while, they gutted it out, pulled out a couple wins against mediocre teams but you could see the overall decline.

The injuries took their toll, for sure.  But the rapid decline of the defense was mortifying.  It was worse that last year right from the start and then went on to get worse.  The effort wasn't there, the football IQ just vaporized.  Can a DC really coach everybody down?  Where the hell did it go?  Last year's defense would not have lost to Cleveland or the Ratbirds, no matter who the LB's were.

Bad schemes, bad execution, no ***** heart at all for way too much of the year.  Mind boggling.

And then the offense couldn't get it done when they lost AJ because they didn't believe they could, except maybe Mixon and Boyd, who are completely outplaying the vast majority of their teammates.  And then it seemed to all get to be too much for the QB, and probably rightly so.  And this is where we are.

And to top it all off, Marvin's answer to every question is, we have to be better.  Well, no shit, Sherlock.  But just how the hell do you plan on doing that?

The defense played a much better second half yesterday.  Was that a sign or Cleveland easing up on the gas?

I'm not calling Driskel a savior or anything close.  But he did provide  spark.  Maybe he won't be the total bum, Donald Hollis, AJM, etc., that he's already been proclaimed to be.  It would make Sundays a little more worthwhile if he could play well.  I don't see the future, so I don't know what he can do until he does it and I'm willing to see what happens.

Obviously, the season is hanging by a thread and it's hard to see it getting any better.   But what the hell, never say never.  But there's got to be some serious stepping up and we probably just plain don't have the ability.

Honestly, the AFC is 3-4 strong teams then really weak. IF healthy, a bunch of teams could be Wild Card contenders.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 06:30 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Im just trying to take into consideration
how many difference makers we have lost to injuries.....compared to 2018 PLAYOFF TEAMS.

Eifert 7 games ( 12 overall)
Bernard 4 games
Ross 3 games
Green  3 games
Mixon 2 games
Kroft 6 games??

Glasgow played in 1 game ( 15 missed)
Lawson played in 7 games (9 missed)

I think injuries and Lazors inability to be creative
have really handicapped this season.
once Eifert and Kroft went down that hampered the vertical game.
Glasgow injury is real huge blow to the rotation
and the ability to wreck the pocket up the middle.

look at the Steelers and Chiefs. they have been relatively healthy. the Browns have been healthy as of late.
The Chargers are healthy.

Im just looking at bare facts..once Eifert and Green went down..so did the scoring offense

For Marvin Lewis and his coaching staff? Yes, obviously.

For other coaching staffs? Not necessarily.

Some teams have injuries and move forward, some don't. Marvin Lewis teams never seem to overcome key injuries.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 09:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The injuries aren't why this team imploded.

- Our QB was healthy up to this point
- Even when Mixon was out, we had Gio. When Gio went out, we had Mixon. We were fortunate there.
- Line has been mostly healthy, sans Price, who has been disappointing anyway
- Defense was struggling with everyone healthy...starting from game 1

This team is just bad. It starts with bad coaching and bad schemes, but we also have poor depth, weak LB's, Burfict sucks without his PEDs, the o-line is still a mess, and Dalton looks ready for a change of scenery, etc etc. Don't fall into the Hobspin trap of just looking at the list of names on the injury report and not thinking about how it actually played out.

Right !

This team was below average from square one. 7-9 team maybe with a good bit of luck ? more likely 5-11

Poor coaching with outdated schemes. Bad to horrible LBers, poor Oline. And most of all a culture of accepting failure and being mediocre set up by an owner/GM who is clueless and doesn't really care about winning.
Reply/Quote

The Eagles, Seahawks, Chiefs, Colts(22!), Patriots all have more players on IR and other teams have near our amount and are doing just fine after making adjustments. Additionally prior to the addition of Dalton, we are 28th in cash investment in those players, meaning a tendency for less impact players
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 10:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: For Marvin Lewis and his coaching staff? Yes, obviously.

For other coaching staffs? Not necessarily.

Some teams have injuries and move forward, some don't. Marvin Lewis teams never seem to overcome key injuries.

Merv led teams have rarely overcame anything ! Oh there's a 1pm game here, a couple games there. But overall he spits the bit waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy more often than not. Look at his home record vs. Steelers
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 10:58 PM)eoxyod Wrote: The Eagles, Seahawks, Chiefs, Colts(22!), Patriots all have more players on IR and other teams have near our amount and are doing just fine after making adjustments. Additionally prior to the addition of Dalton, we are 28th in cash investment in those players, meaning a tendency for less impact players

The 2003 or whatever Patriots had a shit ton of injuries and won the friggin Super Bowl near the very beginning of the dynasty. You can't get some of these guys to understand injuries = every NFL season, it's just part of it.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 09:35 PM)GodFather Wrote: No it wasn't..

It was the minute Lewis was re-signed...thats when the 2018 season ended.

Hallelujah ! Someone who gets it

P.S. There's many others, I know
Reply/Quote
You can't go by raw number of IR players - you also need to look at who they are.

This years the defense did lose two starting LB but they were horrible before that. They have also had injuries in the secondary preventing them from rolling the same unit out consistently, but same comments.

Offensively it is much worse. The TE position was wiped out by injury, we lost our rookie center for a big block of time which stunted his development, we've had one or the other RB out for half our games and once we lost AJ we were down to Boyd and clowns like Core. Ross not developing very quickly also hurt. Again though the biggest issue turned out to be that the OL is still crap - it gets blown off the LOS by every defense it faces. I sort of understand that losing all the TES and then AJ basically amputated a lot of the playbook but I have to think Lazor could have been more creative in finding ways to move the ball.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 10:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right !

This team was below average from square one. 7-9 team maybe with a good bit of luck ? more likely 5-11

Poor coaching with outdated schemes. Bad to horrible LBers, poor Oline. And most of all a culture of accepting failure and being mediocre set up by an owner/GM who is clueless and doesn't really care about winning.

The outdated scheme is spot on.

How many games this year did we score a lot in the 1st half, then score 3 points in the 2nd half?
Reply/Quote
You can't blame the offensive struggles on just the tight end position and Price. The play calling lacks creativity. They couldn't do anything versus a terrible Chiefs defense with A.J Green, Boyd and Mixon all healthy. How about the Tampa game? the second half was an embarrassment. We went 3 and out like 5 possessions in a row in the 2nd half. The defense was terrible all season. Burfict was suspend again to start season that's on the Bengal for relying on a guy that is never available. Burfict sucks this year anyways when he's on the field. Vigil is probably the most overrated player on the team and the defense sucked even when he was healthy he makes tackles 5 yards downfield. The two starting safeties, Bates and Williams have been healthy all year. The two first round corners William Jackson and Kirkpatrick have been playing together the whole year. Dennard got hurt but even when he plays he's not that great. The starting D-line of Dunlap, Atkins, Billings and Johnson, have been healthy all year along with Hubbard and Willis. Lawson got hurt in week 8 and the defense suck with him. Glasgow got hurt late in the Panthers game but they were already ramming the ball down our throats the entire game even before he got hurt. This team had big issues well before the injuries started.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 12:23 AM)lone bengal Wrote:  The play calling lacks creativity. They couldn't do anything versus a terrible Chiefs defense with A.J Green, Boyd and Mixon all healthy. How about the Tampa game? the second half was an embarrassment. We went 3 and out like 5 possessions in a row in the 2nd half.  The defense was terrible all season. 

Right on ! This team stumbled and fumbled into a 4-1 start, it easily could have been 2-3. In the irony of all ironies the Defense won a couple of those games.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 09:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2010 Packers won the Super Bowl with exactly 13 guys on I.R.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5923437

thats because they had GREAT coaching. NOT idiots like ours!!! or an imbecile owner!

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 05:07 AM)RASCAL Wrote: thats because they had GREAT coaching. NOT idiots like ours!!! or an imbecile owner!

Mike McCarthy is not even close to being a great coach. And the Packers don’t have an owner.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 09:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What's the excuse for last year?

How about the 25 previous years?

I'm not talking about the previous 25 years, I'm talking about why a team that was winning early fell off a cliff this year...
Reply/Quote
The reason the injuries derailed the season is because the depth wound up paper thin.....and the coaching OBVIOUSLY isn't good enough to overcome it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 05:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mike McCarthy is not even close to being a great coach. And the Packers don’t have an owner.

He's got a ring. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote