Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Virginia Teacher Strike
The Governor and the state House has passed a raise, but the teachers aren't so certain about the Senate doing their part. Because of this, the walkout has continued into its sixth day.

https://apnews.com/26645f0b65fa4382a86048b290f32292/Despite-proposed-raise-W.-Virginia-teacher-walkout-not-over

Kind of surprised no one has brought this up. Though to be fair, I expect some of the same commentary from the same folks on the topic. But being as most of us live in neighboring states I figured I'd bring it in.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Well hell, someone has to be the lowest paid. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
We're professionals not volunteers, but there's enough people who believe we should be guilted into working in unacceptable conditions and for unacceptable pay because of the kids.

It's tough to imagine doing this because we do provide so much for so many, especially in a poor state like WV. So many kids depend on the food there, so it's great that people have been ensuring that they still get fed and have a warm, safe place to go.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

I have a college friend who is one of those teachers on strike.  The governor there has been no friend of theirs and they have good reason to not trust him or the elected officials.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-01-2018, 12:46 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well hell, someone has to be the lowest paid. LOL

Actually, I'm not sure if that's a true statement.  My wife taught in WV for about 12 years.  When she moved to NC, they wanted her to take about a 15K pay cut.  So, she now does Social Work..

Oddly enough, we were talking about the WV Teacher's strike over the weekend.  She does not agree with the union deciding to walk out in the middle of the year.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-01-2018, 12:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We're professionals not volunteers, but there's enough people who believe we should be guilted into working in unacceptable conditions and for unacceptable pay because of the kids.

It's tough to imagine doing this because we do provide so much for so many, especially in a poor state like WV. So many kids depend on the food there, so it's great that people have been ensuring that they still get fed and have a warm, safe place to go.

I sympathize with your position, to a degree.  Didn't you willingly choose to enter the Teaching profession, fully aware that it was not to be a lucrative career ahead?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-01-2018, 02:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I sympathize with your position, to a degree.  Didn't you willingly choose to enter the Teaching profession, fully aware that it was not to be a lucrative career ahead?

It was the 6 months vacation that attracted him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-01-2018, 11:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The Governor and the state House has passed a raise, but the teachers aren't so certain about the Senate doing their part. Because of this, the walkout has continued into its sixth day.

https://apnews.com/26645f0b65fa4382a86048b290f32292/Despite-proposed-raise-W.-Virginia-teacher-walkout-not-over

Kind of surprised no one has brought this up. Though to be fair, I expect some of the same commentary from the same folks on the topic. But being as most of us live in neighboring states I figured I'd bring it in.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article202620409.html

It's rough for teachers all over. In Kentucky, lawmakers are looking to slash existing pensions, move current teachers to a less protected 401(k) style and increasing benefit costs. Lawmakers had a little support initially since they included reforms that prevented themselves (and reversed previous instances) from grossly inflating their own retirements. 

http://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article201429159.html

Quote:That enabled some lawmakers, such as former Rep. Harry Moberly, D-Richmond, to collect annual pensions larger than the sums they ever made as lawmakers. Moberly, who received a six-figure salary as executive vice president of Eastern Kentucky University, now collects an annual legislative pension benefit of $154,912.

Probably not a big surprise, but they've taken out the parts that would've restricted their abuse. And this is in Kentucky, where teachers salaries for nearly a decade in some districts have been virtually flat (around a 2% annual raise), while lawmakers and their staffs keep seeing salaries increase, sometimes by as much as 50%.

Low pay, no help from parents, lawmakers blaming them for every issue and then stealing their money. I'm amazed we haven't had walkouts here.
(03-01-2018, 02:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I sympathize with your position, to a degree.  Didn't you willingly choose to enter the Teaching profession, fully aware that it was not to be a lucrative career ahead?

I joined the career knowing that I would not get the same as professions with similar educational requirements, but that's different than accepting stagnant pay and an underfunded healthcare system. 

I'm trying to read the story but my iPad keeps crashing, it's first gen so it can't handle those new fangled websites.
(03-01-2018, 08:08 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I'm trying to read the story but my iPad keeps crashing, it's first gen so it can't handle those new fangled websites.

Ninja
(03-01-2018, 12:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We're professionals not volunteers, but there's enough people who believe we should be guilted into working in unacceptable conditions and for unacceptable pay because of the kids.

You should be advocating against public schools if you want wages to rise. At least at that point you would be finally paid based on your merit in the classroom.

Everyone loves paying great teachers. It’s the dead weight one who just cruise out their time who no one wants to pay, yet they make the most.
(03-01-2018, 02:40 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It was the 6 months vacation that attracted him.

I do miss summers off.
(03-01-2018, 11:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You should be advocating against public schools if you want wages to rise.   At least at that point you would be finally paid based on your merit in the classroom.  

Everyone loves paying great teachers.   It’s the dead weight one who just cruise out their time who no one wants to pay, yet they make the most.

(03-01-2018, 11:48 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I do miss summers off.

Cool
(03-01-2018, 11:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You should be advocating against public schools if you want wages to rise.   At least at that point you would be finally paid based on your merit in the classroom.  

Everyone loves paying great teachers.   It’s the dead weight one who just cruise out their time who no one wants to pay, yet they make the most.

I'm only advocating for reasonable wages.

But just for an interesting conversation, how would you determine which teachers to give raises too? What would you measure to determine merit?

Private schools don't always pay more than public schools. In many instances, they pay less, but teachers work there due to smaller class sizes, to get their own child's tuition reduced or just for a better work environment. And as we move further away from public education, they'll likely opt to pay lower wages. 

For profit education is unsurprisingly for profit. If you can pay staff a lower rate, you're going to pay a lower rate. That's just business. Once public systems are abolished, there's no real wage scale for teachers. 
This actually all started because the Governor found out how woefully underpaid the corrections officers were in WV. They passed a bill in early February to give them a raise the teachers jumped on this and went on strike. Now the corrections officers raise has been put on hold and they cannot speak about it or strike.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

I'm all for paying teachers more... too bad you can't root out the sadistic or just plain bad ones without 20 miles of red tape.
(03-02-2018, 12:11 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm only advocating for reasonable wages.

But just for an interesting conversation, how would you determine which teachers to give raises too? What would you measure to determine merit?

That's a good question.  There should be a way.  I mean you shouldn't get to suck at your job or put no effort in and receive the same compensation as someone who excels.  Really good teachers are really good teachers because they want to be I imagine, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be rewarded for excelling.

(03-02-2018, 02:40 AM)Synric Wrote: This actually all started because the Governor found out how woefully underpaid the corrections officers were in WV. They passed a bill in early February to give them a raise the teachers jumped on this and went on strike. Now the corrections officers raise has been put on hold and they cannot speak about it or strike.

That's sad. We have some similar things going on in Virginia with DOC employees. When compared to the private sector in our state, we actually compensate our employees worse than WV. We have been trying to raise compensation for the high-turnover positions which includes DOC and some healthcare folks. Our state police are also among the hardest hit. Our state pays them worse than just about every locality, so they go and get trained, get an assignment, get to know the locals and then sign on with them for higher pay. Unfortunately, there are no options for any of us here. No public sector unions at all.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR