Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Virginia Teacher Strike
(03-02-2018, 04:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think those figures might be off: http://www.ncsc.org/~/media/Microsites/Files/Judicial%20Salaries/2018-Judicial-Salaries.ashx

WV is listed with a (I'm guessing) median salary for the lowest courts of around $126k.

I was ballparking from what my neighbor who is a magistrate that makes 42 to 50.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-02-2018, 04:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think those figures might be off: http://www.ncsc.org/~/media/Microsites/Files/Judicial%20Salaries/2018-Judicial-Salaries.ashx

WV is listed with a (I'm guessing) median salary for the lowest courts of around $126k.

Thanks Matt. That makes more sense financially, otherwise, we would have a shortage of Judges too in many areas. I see synric's follow up response below, which is still confusing.

(03-02-2018, 04:15 PM)Synric Wrote: I was ballparking from what my neighbor who is a magistrate that makes 42 to 50.

Is the pathway to become a magistrate different from other judge positions? If not, I still don't see how that wage is sustainable given the cost of law school.
(03-02-2018, 04:29 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Thanks Matt. That makes more sense financially, otherwise, we would have a shortage of Judges too in many areas. I see synric's follow up response below, which is still confusing.

Is the pathway to become a magistrate different from other judge positions? If not, I still don't see how that wage is sustainable given the cost of law school.

Magistrates are a good bit different than judges. WV also has elected magistrates instead of appointed. But here is the WV code on the qualifications of a magistrate: http://www.wvlegislature.gov/WVCODE/ChapterEntire.cfm?chap=50&art=1&section=4

Quote:Each magistrate shall be at least twenty-one years of age, shall have a high school education or its equivalent, shall not have been convicted of any felony or any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude and shall reside in the county of his election. No magistrate shall be a member of the immediate family of any other magistrate in the county. In the event more than one member of an immediate family shall be elected in a county, only the member receiving the highest number of votes shall be eligible to serve. For purposes of this section, immediate family means the relationship of mother, father, sister, brother, child or spouse. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, each person who held the office of justice of the peace on November 5, 1974, and who served in or performed the functions of such office for at least one year immediately prior thereto shall be deemed qualified to run for the office of magistrate in the county of his residence.

No person shall assume the duties of magistrate unless he shall have first attended and completed a course of instruction in rudimentary principles of law and procedure which shall be given in accordance with the supervisory rules of the Supreme Court of Appeals.

All magistrates shall be required to attend such other courses of continuing educational instruction as may be required by supervisory rule of the Supreme Court of Appeals. Failure to attend such courses of continuing educational instruction without good cause shall constitute neglect of duty. Such courses shall be provided at least once every other year. Persons attending such courses outside of the county of their residence shall be reimbursed by the state for expenses actually incurred in accordance with the supervisory rules of the Supreme Court of Appeals.

Each magistrate shall, before assuming the duties of office, take an oath of office to be administered by the circuit judge of the county, or the chief judge thereof if there is more than one judge of the circuit court. Each magistrate shall maintain the qualifications for office at all times.

Each magistrate who serves five thousand or less in population shall devote such time to his public duties as shall be required by rule or regulation of the judge of the circuit court, or the chief judge thereof if there is more than one judge of the circuit court. Each magistrate who serves more than five thousand in population shall devote full time to his public duties. As nearly as practicable, the workload and the total number of hours required shall be divided evenly among the magistrates in a county by such judge.

So, at least in WV, one needs only have completed high school to do the job.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-02-2018, 04:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Magistrates are a good bit different than judges. WV also has elected magistrates instead of appointed. But here is the WV code on the qualifications of a magistrate: http://www.wvlegislature.gov/WVCODE/ChapterEntire.cfm?chap=50&art=1&section=4

So, at least in WV, one needs only have completed high school to do the job.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the post Matt. Rep!
(03-02-2018, 04:43 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the post Matt. Rep!

Hey, no problem. I'm adept at research like that and oftentimes I am learning something new, myself.

Plus, it is very slow at work right now. Spring break starts next week and so it is a ghost town on campus.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-02-2018, 12:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I know we are, but in your scenario are we paying?  A lot of people couldn't afford $1000 let alone what these schools would cost.

This would be a state issue. I am sure there would be multiple ways to sort that out.

Could also offer tiered schools for those who do not wish to pay for the best. They could go into the trades. Could also allow businesses to sponsor children. In exchange they sigm a contract to work. And so on.

Time to get creative.
(03-02-2018, 12:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Private schools do pay less. But only because there is a public school which over pays a large section of teachers who aren’t pulling their weight.

Dump public education and see private wages rise for those who are earning it

So having no base is going to encourage private businesses to pay more?

That’s never been the case.

(03-02-2018, 12:38 PM)michaelsean Wrote:    Are we still paying for the kids to attend these schools?  I don't want a lot of people with no education because they couldn't pay for it.

Right now, in most states, there’s still some form of public education. Kids may have longer bus rides or substandard learning environments, but as far as I know all kids have access to an education.
(03-02-2018, 09:50 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That's a good question.  There should be a way.  I mean you shouldn't get to suck at your job or put no effort in and receive the same compensation as someone who excels.  Really good teachers are really good teachers because they want to be I imagine, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be rewarded for excelling.

How would you compare myself, someone who gets all regular level classes with IEPs, 504s, and ESOL students because I can teach them, versus someone who only teaches honors or GT classes because they refuse to stop lecturing off of overhead notes despite projectors and powerpoint having been a thing for over a decade?

If I go with standardize tests, the other teacher will have higher scores. The tests are also poor measures with my students as they tend to be more successful at being able to demonstrate growth alternatively. 

We can go with more subjectives measurements, but then politics comes into play.

We have an interesting method in my county for evaluation where we're measured on 4 different domains. Each counts as 20%. Two domains (classroom environment and instruction) are observable while the other two I gather artifacts to show (planning and professionalism). The final 20% is a "student learning objective". We pick a skill (history thinking skills in my case) and give them tasks throughout the year that we grade on a rubric. We measure where they're at when they start and then set a goal for where they should all be at the end of the year. The % who reach the goal determines your score in that area. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-02-2018, 12:34 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That is an interesting question.  

How about using parent reviews/administration reviews.   This would force teachers to be more in touch with parents which would engage them more in their child’s education.  

Allowing parents to sign up for specific teachers.   And paying a premium to those who are highly rated.   All that premium money going to the teacher in the form of a bonus.

So if I kiss parents and students asses and pass students, I can make more money. Sounds easy and lazy. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-02-2018, 04:55 PM)Benton Wrote: So having no base is going to encourage private businesses to pay more?

That’s never been the case.

Right now, in most states, there’s still some form of public education. Kids may have longer bus rides or substandard learning environments, but as far as I know all kids have access to an education.

I meant in the only private school world Lucie was suggesting.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-02-2018, 05:18 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: How would you compare myself, someone who gets all regular level classes with IEPs, 504s, and ESOL students because I can teach them, versus someone who only teaches honors or GT classes because they refuse to stop lecturing off of overhead notes despite projectors and powerpoint having been a thing for over a decade?

If I go with standardize tests, the other teacher will have higher scores. The tests are also poor measures with my students as they tend to be more successful at being able to demonstrate growth alternatively. 

We can go with more subjectives measurements, but then politics comes into play.

We have an interesting method in my county for evaluation where we're measured on 4 different domains. Each counts as 20%. Two domains (classroom environment and instruction) are observable while the other two I gather artifacts to show (planning and professionalism). The final 20% is a "student learning objective". We pick a skill (history thinking skills in my case) and give them tasks throughout the year that we grade on a rubric. We measure where they're at when they start and then set a goal for where they should all be at the end of the year. The % who reach the goal determines your score in that area. 

I don’t know the answer, but it seems there has to be a way. I mean someone who phones it in just shouldn’t get the same pay as a dedicated teacher. Hell ask the kids. They know.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-02-2018, 05:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So if I kiss parents and students asses and pass students, I can make more money. Sounds easy and lazy. 

Well he misses his "three months off".   Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-02-2018, 09:34 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know the answer, but it seems there has to be a way. I mean someone who phones it in just shouldn’t get the same pay as a dedicated teacher. Hell ask the kids. They know.

Same ones the kids don't want to arm...even if the teacher wants it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.