Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Anarumo is looking for this offseason
New Hobson post on bengals.com reveals what Anarumo is looking for in his hybrid defense this offseason.
https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-defense-seeks-same-traits-as-scheme-evolves

Quote:"Corners and rushers, man. Corners and rushers," said defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo before he went into morning meetings this week. "You have to be able to affect the quarterback."

When talking about pass rushers...
Quote:"Absolutely," Anarumo said when asked if [lack of pressure] passes for the offseason priority. "Look at the successful defenses in the league and what do they do? They pressure the quarterback and that doesn't mean blitzing. The more quality edge rushes you can have, the better you'll be."
Quote:The team still appears to be mulling the options, but what's not up for debate is what type of player they want at defensive end. That's clear and simple. A 4-3 pass rusher.
Quote:While the Bengals are running a 3-4 hybrid, they and everyone else align in some version of a 4-2-5 as much as 70 percent of the time to match personnel.

When talking about CB...
Quote:"Speed, change of direction, all that stuff is paramount," Anarumo said. "But length really allows you to be a good corner in this league. (Tackling) is in the top three (of traits). It's up there. You want guys that can run and cover. You want guys that have the right mentality and the right makeup so that they'll be able to get guys on the ground."

So expect DL and CB to be the focus in FA and the draft, not so much LB, based on what Anarumo is saying.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
well being last in sacks means a few things one you gotta get better at generating pressure. or two you gotta make the QB hold onto the ball longer.

will have to see what they do. need massive help in multiple areas on both sides the ball.
Reply/Quote
What Anarumo is looking for next offseason: A new job.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 02:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What Anarumo is looking for next offseason:  A new job.

Or what they call in Cincy a promotion, "New head coach Lou Anarumo"
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 02:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What Anarumo is looking for next offseason:  A new job.

we will believe that when we see it
Reply/Quote
Not really surprising they say the same thing every year. What we really need is an interior rusher that can play all three downs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 03:15 PM)J24 Wrote: Not really surprising they say the same thing every year. What we really need is an interior rusher that can play all three downs.

They need both an edge rusher and interior rusher. Really they need 2 edge rushers and an interior rusher lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 03:29 PM)Synric Wrote: They need both an edge rusher and interior rusher. Really they need 2 edge rushers and an interior rusher lol.
Well yeah adding another edge or 2 definitely wouldn't hurt. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
We obviously need to add rushers and hopefully Reader is not hurt again. But also they need to start looking at Anuramo's "hybrid" defense as it just seems to put our LBers in bad situations and deprive the defense of any kind of identity.
Reply/Quote
Main takeaway for me from this is that he says “getting pressure without blitzing”

Looks like he still plans on dropping 7 or more as often as possible. Hope he finds those edge rushers because otherwise we will continue to see this and get picked apart by good QBs.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 01:11 PM)ochocincos Wrote: New Hobson post on bengals.com reveals what Anarumo is looking for in his hybrid defense this offseason.
https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-defense-seeks-same-traits-as-scheme-evolves

When talking about pass rushers...

When talking about CB...

So expect DL and CB to be the focus in FA and the draft, not so much LB, based on what Anarumo is saying.

Well, he is saying the right things. We definitely need pass rushers and good Corners.

I think we have some good up and coming LB's in Wilson, ADG and Bailey. Get things fixed up front.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 03:15 PM)J24 Wrote: Not really surprising they say the same thing every year. What we really need is an interior rusher that can play all three downs.

Sheldon Rankins would be great.

(03-03-2021, 03:29 PM)Synric Wrote: They need both an edge rusher and interior rusher. Really they need 2 edge rushers and an interior rusher lol.

Wonder who are some names that will be out there at End. Would like to get Derek Wolfe.
Reply/Quote
I think we will probably stopgap the issues at 3t if we let Geno go. Probably with another veteran who is older but used to be elite, think a guy like Casey or Short who may be able to reclaim a bit of what they were if healthy. I think it's more likely that even with retaining Lawson they spend on another edge than on interior rush then potentially attack that in day 2. Cornerback in this FA class is DEEP, so I feel content letting William Jackson field offers and either bring him back or go another direction
Reply/Quote
Somebody forgot to.tell.Lou the Bengals are also dead
Last in takeaways also on defense over the last few
Years or close to it.
We need CBs that can.also snatch the ball out of the air
And actually secure it.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 04:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think we will probably stopgap the issues at 3t if we let Geno go. Probably with another veteran who is older but used to be elite, think a guy like Casey or Short who may be able to reclaim a bit of what they were if healthy. I think it's more likely that even with retaining Lawson they spend on another edge than on interior rush then potentially attack that in day 2. Cornerback in this FA class is DEEP, so I feel content letting William Jackson field offers and either bring him back or go another direction

The Bengals have been scary bad at drafting pass rushing IDL in the past decade.
Devon Still
Margus Hunt
Marcus Hardison
Ryan Glasgow
Andrew Brown
Renell Wren

While Wren may have some promise, he definitely hasn't shown enough yet to give confidence.

So I'm with you, they probably need a proven stopgap FA guy at least until a draft pick can show enough.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 05:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals have been scary bad at drafting pass rushing IDL in the past decade.
Devon Still
Margus Hunt
Marcus Hardison
Ryan Glasgow
Andrew Brown
Renell Wren

While Wren may have some promise, he definitely hasn't shown enough yet to give confidence.

So I'm with you, they probably need a proven stopgap FA guy at least until a draft pick can show enough.

Yea, this just seems like a class where Barramore is potentially a 1 then you will see a lot of the top of the class in the 2nd which means you can potentially hit on a gem there. I like a couple, and really like them in the 3rd if possible. 
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 05:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals have been scary bad at drafting pass rushing IDL in the past decade.
Devon Still
Margus Hunt
Marcus Hardison
Ryan Glasgow
Andrew Brown
Renell Wren

If I remember right, Hunt was drafted as a DE, not an inside DT. He didn't line up inside for us until he came back last year, and actually played a lot better than people expected.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2021, 06:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If I remember right, Hunt was drafted as a DE, not an inside DT. He didn't line up inside for us until he came back last year, and actually played a lot better than people expected.

Correct, Hunt was drafted as a DE but really was never a good fit as 4-3 DE. He's probably best suited as a 3-4 DE or DT.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hopefully he's looking for the ability to be a competent DC in the NFL. Hasn't been found yet.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
You can't put Hunt in that mix as comical as that sounds. He's still in the league, has made a career out of his opportunity (while getting playtime, not just riding the bench).

It was odd to see him be one of the best dlinemen on the team by years end. Who would have thought it all these years later.

Certainly not bad for a 2nd round pick.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote