Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What Andy is doing to cut down turnovers.
(06-13-2015, 06:04 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: We haven't had a year yet where we had good receivers and a good run game at the same time.  Next year as long as we stay healthy we have both.

It's always some excuse.  :snark:
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 07:10 PM)GodFather Wrote: It's always some excuse.  :snark:

I know it appears that way, but I think the injury excuse is pretty legit.

Not that I think run game + healthy WR's = elite Andy Dalton, but I do think he will rebound from last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 08:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know it appears that way, but I think the injury excuse is pretty legit.

Not that I think run game + healthy WR's = elite Andy Dalton, but I do think he will rebound from last year.

C'mon Shake, then whats the excuse for the other years? Year one he's a rookie. Year 2 he's still a rookie....kinda. Year 3 he needs a running game and a good OC. Year 4 its all the injuries. Year 5..  Mrs Dalton not giving him enough sex and results in a lack of concentration...wait..that would be a legit excuse LOL LOL 

You know at this point its nothing but excuses, were going on year 5. Im all for him succeeding, because if he doesn't the team won't. Its that simple, the QB is more vital in the NFL then ever. Regardless, I don't have an ounce of faith in him, why? 4 years thats why. To think this year will be different is ridiculous. You know thats your heart hoping but your head shaking itself no while it prepares for Groundhog's day for a 5th season.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 12:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: I know this might get slammed. But they just need to let Dalton throw. He's a gunslinger (sure he lacks the arm that some like Farve have so he doesn't get away with the turnovers Farve and other's have gotten away with over their careers) and probably is less effective when he's playing scared to death to turn the ball over. Besides we saw last season it didn't really do much for him, and never let him get into a rhythm.

Sure I thought cutting his attempt would help, but it didn't. So they need to move on and let him throw. At least he'll get the yards and td's.

Folks would be surprised at how many "elite" qb's have far surpassed Daltons INT's high of 20 multiple times over their career. But because they are perceived to have strong arms they keep their elite status and get excused. Get called gunslingers etc....

Folks on this board even slam Dalton for his high INT's while claiming some of these other qb's are better even though over their careers they have far surpassed 20 int multiple times. Big Ben, Eli, Cutler..... The list goes on. Many of which has far surpassed Daltons Int high. Many multiple times over their careers.

Problem is all those elite guys, and the three you mentioned, all have what Andy does not.........Playoff wins, quality performances in the Playoffs, and the ability to carry their offense (sans Bad Jay Cutler). Guys are considered elite because they are the best at their position. They show up and show out more often than not. Allowing Andy to throw it a ton goes against the offensive strengths the Bengals currently have. The have a quality line, two good RB's, one elite WR, and some question marks at TE and WR234. Also, given Andy's predilection towards INT's, throwing it a bunch just means the chances of playing from behind increase. Running the ball better should make Andy more efficient, because as the game goes on, he'll likely get quality looks via the play action game. It's a win win.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
His actions will prove himself this upcoming season.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 09:32 PM)GodFather Wrote: C'mon Shake, then whats the excuse for the other years? Year one he's a rookie. Year 2 he's still a rookie....kinda. Year 3 he needs a running game and a good OC. Year 4 its all the injuries. Year 5..  Mrs Dalton not giving him enough sex and results in a lack of concentration...wait..that would be a legit excuse LOL LOL 

You know at this point its nothing but excuses, were going on year 5. Im all for him succeeding, because if he doesn't the team won't. Its that simple, the QB is more vital in the NFL then ever. Regardless, I don't have an ounce of faith in him, why? 4 years thats why. To think this year will be different is ridiculous. You know thats your heart hoping but your head shaking itself no while it prepares for Groundhog's day for a 5th season.

Imo, he doesn't really need an excuse for 2012 or 2013. In those 2 years, he accounted for 31 and 35 TD's while finishing ranked 13th and 15th in passer rating.

Those are acceptable totals in my book.

Last year wasn't so hot, but like I said, I think he'll rebound. Will he ever be elite? I seriously doubt it. But he really doesn't need to be. I'm fine with him as long as he performs the way he did the previous 2 years. He needs to get better in the playoffs too, but I tend to think that's more of a team-wide Marvin Lewis problem than just a Dalton problem.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 09:40 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: \See the NE head coach

Marvin ain't Bill (job security, aside) and Andy ain't Brady.  I honestly don't think it's just as simple as the coaches just letting Andy Dalton be Andy Dalton, but that's just me.  I feel like coaches and training camps and the what-nots exist for a reason.  Other than Brady, is there another QB where the coach just says "Meh, do whatever, get swaggery, you know!"  I can imagine the OC in Denver letting Peyton run the show, but other than that, I'd imagine coaches are supposed to tell the QB what to do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 12:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

Andy needs more swagger no doubt. They and he have to figure out how to restore his confidence. You could see it eroding away as the season wore on last year. That's why I'm saying quit trying to mold him into this or that and capitalize on what he does well.

So you are saying we need to fire Marvin and hire Jim McMahon as our HC then?  If swagger wins games then we shouldn't have picked a 2nd round QB from Texas Christian who believes in Jesus and has a stable family life.  Let's get some 
braggart in here!  Oh man, Rex Ryan!  We shoulda got Rex Ryan and Jim McMahon, and maybe Keshawn Johnson...those guys know how to act like big-mouthed braggarts!

SWAGGER = Wins!
Reply/Quote
Laxative in defensive backs' wheaties?

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 07:10 PM)GodFather Wrote: It's always some excuse.  :snark:

It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

(06-13-2015, 09:32 PM)GodFather Wrote: C'mon Shake, then whats the excuse for the other years? Year one he's a rookie. Year 2 he's still a rookie....kinda. Year 3 he needs a running game and a good OC. Year 4 its all the injuries. Year 5..  Mrs Dalton not giving him enough sex and results in a lack of concentration...wait..that would be a legit excuse LOL LOL 

2011 - We didn't have crap for weapons (Rookie Green was the only good weapon)
2012 - We didn't have crap for weapons (2nd year Green was the only good weapon)
2013 - We had good receivers, and Dalton had great stats, but still a crappy run game
2014 - We had a good run game, but our receivers were crap
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2015, 05:40 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

2011 - We didn't have crap for weapons (Rookie Green was the only good weapon)
2012 - We didn't have crap for weapons (2nd year Green was the only good weapon)
2013 - We had good receivers, and Dalton had great stats, but still a crappy run game
2014 - We had a good run game, but our receivers were crap
I just read four things
Excuse
Excuse
Excuse
Excuse
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2015, 07:34 PM)GodFather Wrote: I just read four things
Excuse
Excuse
Excuse
Excuse

It doesn't matter if you think it's an excuse or not. Even Tom Brady doesn't preform well without talent around him, and that has already been proven. Dalton isn't Brady, so obviously he's going to need some weapons. He can't carry the team by himself.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2015, 02:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Marvin ain't Bill (job security, aside) and Andy ain't Brady.  I honestly don't think it's just as simple as the coaches just letting Andy Dalton be Andy Dalton, but that's just me.  I feel like coaches and training camps and the what-nots exist for a reason.  Other than Brady, is there another QB where the coach just says "Meh, do whatever, get swaggery, you know!"  I can imagine the OC in Denver letting Peyton run the show, but other than that, I'd imagine coaches are supposed to tell the QB what to do.

There's no doubt having Brady makes a huge difference. But it's more than just that !

Bill finds ways to make the rookie, no name, undrafted, short, slow, receivers work by figuring out what they can do well and incorporating that into a game plan. Bill sees what he's got then plan's accordingly.

Marvin and company make a plan then try and mold their players to it !
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2015, 08:13 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: It doesn't matter if you think it's an excuse or not. Even Tom Brady doesn't preform well without talent around him, and that has already been proven. Dalton isn't Brady, so obviously he's going to need some weapons. He can't carry the team by himself.

Really, a QB who ranges from 13th-25th best in the league can't carry this team all by himself?  Fascinating.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 09:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Really, a QB who ranges from 13th-25th best in the league can't carry this team all by himself?  Fascinating.

QB's in the top 10 can't even do that. Actually I don't know ANY QB that can do that.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton is actually a very good QB.

He just needs more experience, better RBs, better TEs, better WRs, a better O-line, a better defense, a better QB coach, a better OC, a better HC, a better owner, a dome constructed to keep out of the elements, and to not get so unlucky when he throws the ball.

Most QBs in the league all have the absolute best surrounding them so that's why those guys can put up 90+ passer ratings. It's not because they're actually good. Some of you noobs need to learn the game and get some football knowledge. Bunch of nonobjective boobs.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 10:38 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: QB's in the top 10 can't even do that. Actually I don't know ANY QB that can do that.

So this team won 40 games in 4 years with a QB ranked around 18th in the league over that span and little to no talent around him?  Astounding.  Tell me, what color is the ocean in your world?
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 11:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: So this team won 40 games in 4 years with a QB ranked around 18th in the league over that span and little to no talent around him?  Astounding.  Tell me, what color is the ocean in your world?

Ok then in 11,12, and 14 what amazing receivers did Dalton have other than Green? In 11,12, and 13 what amazing running backs did Dalton have? Where is all this talent on offense, because all I see is hype.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2015, 07:18 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Ok then in 11,12, and 14 what amazing receivers did Dalton have other than Green? In 11,12, and 13 what amazing running backs did Dalton have? Where is all this talent on offense, because all I see is hype.

There is definitely a heapin' helpin' of hype in these parts, I'll grant you that.
Reply/Quote
My Two cents worth of nothing....

There are those who PLAY quarterback.

There are the few who ARE quarterbacks.

Which one is Dalton? Which one is McCarron?

...hmmmmmmm, I have 3 cents left. I'll save 'em.
Reply/Quote