Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What Are Burrow's MVP Chances?
If Chase is not 100% and Tee out then Joe has a great showcase and many won’t be able to attribute it to his star receivers
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 03:12 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: If Chase is not 100% and Tee out then Joe has a great showcase and many won’t be able to attribute it to his star receivers

The whole “carried by his WR’s” narrative should have died for good during the first 5 games of this season. We’ve seen this team with and without a healthy Joe Burrow, and it’s a night and day difference.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 03:12 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: If Chase is not 100% and Tee out then Joe has a great showcase and many won’t be able to attribute it to his star receivers

Multiple Bengal Tight Ends got involved with catches last week against the Bills and this should give Texan defenders something

else to have to plan for. Burrow can hopefully build on the Tight End involvement this week.

Boyd and Iosivas should get more involved with Tee out & Mixon provides a receiving target.

It looks like Chase has practiced some and will play. 

Having both Tee & Chase missing practice time allows for Joe to get on point with the others who were practicing, so I expect good results.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 05:41 PM)depthchart Wrote: Multiple Bengal Tight Ends got involved with catches last week against the Bills and this should give Texan defenders something

else to have to plan for. Burrow can hopefully build on the Tight End involvement this week.

Boyd and Iosivas should get more involved with Tee out & Mixon provides a receiving target.

It looks like Chase has practiced some and will play. 

Having both Tee & Chase missing practice time allows for Joe to get on point with the others who were practicing, so I expect good results.

Yes agreed but I was specifically pointing towards the mantra that Joe had such a great supporting cast of receivers he had an advantage over the others. Sunday could negate that mantra
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 03:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The whole “carried by his WR’s” narrative should have died for good during the first 5 games of this season. We’ve seen this team with and without a healthy Joe Burrow, and it’s a night and day difference.

I don't believe that he is "carried" by his WRs, but I also don't think that your logic in this post works.

If you're throwing the ball into the ground, or 7 yards out of bounds, or 12 yards past the WR, and when you are completing passes it's almost exclusively -3 to 2 from the LoS, it doesn't matter who the WR is. You could have 4 Prime Jerry Rices out there but that wouldn't change that an uncatchable ball is an uncatchable ball, and Burrow was throwing those in spades at the beginning of the season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 06:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't believe that he is "carried" by his WRs, but I also don't think that your logic in this post works.

If you're throwing the ball into the ground, or 7 yards out of bounds, or 12 yards past the WR, and when you are completing passes it's almost exclusively -3 to 2 from the LoS, it doesn't matter who the WR is. You could have 4 Prime Jerry Rices out there but that wouldn't change that an uncatchable ball is an uncatchable ball, and Burrow was throwing those in spades at the beginning of the season.

Interestingly enough, Chase actually had quite a few more receptions through the first 5 games this season (44) than either of his first two years (2022 - 33) (2021 - 23).

There was definitely a lot of short stuff, but it does kind of go against the “Ja’Marr Chase merchant” narrative. It obviously takes more than just merely getting Chase the ball.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 07:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Interestingly enough, Chase actually had quite a few more receptions through the first 5 games this season (44) than either of his first two years (2022 - 33) (2021 - 23).

There was definitely a lot of short stuff, but it does kind of go against the “Ja’Marr Chase merchant” narrative. It obviously takes more than just merely getting Chase the ball.

It does? The Bengals were 2-3 in those games, and the two games they won Chase had 58% of Burrow's yards and 100% of his TDs... and they were as you said very short passes that Chase produced with.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2023, 04:26 PM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: In 1981 Ken Anderson was benched in the season opener after completing only 5 of 15 passes for 39 yards, zero tds, and 2 interceptions.  But when fans talk about Anderson's '81 season most people just refer to winning the MVP and going to the Super Bowl.

In a strange kind of way Burrow's slow start actually proves how valuable he really is.  Some people used to claim he just looked so good because he had the best WR trio in the league.  Can't say that any more.

Yet KA still can't get into the HoF....No Justice
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 08:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It does? The Bengals were 2-3 in those games, and the two games they won Chase had 58% of Burrow's yards and 100% of his TDs... and they were as you said very short passes that Chase produced with.

I think it does, yes. It takes Burrow being able to at least move around a little bit to fully utilize Chase (he didn’t even have a TD through the first 4 games). The only win they got before he could was the Rams.

And the deep bomb against Arizona was the longest air pass of Burrow’s career, so they weren’t all short. That was the first game he really started looking like himself again (although I don’t think he was fully back until SF).

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's a big uphill climb for this season.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 09:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think it does, yes. It takes Burrow being able to at least move around a little bit to fully utilize Chase (he didn’t even have a TD through the first 4 games). The only win they got before he could was the Rams.

And the deep bomb against Arizona was the longest air pass of Burrow’s career, so they weren’t all short. That was the first game he really started looking like himself again (although I don’t think he was fully back until SF).

Needing a bare minimum competence/health QB who isn't one of the two worst QBs in the league (he was at the bottom with Bryce Young in pretty much everything early on) in order for a WR to take over games is not evidence for the QB not needing the WR. I could go out there at QB and I pretty much guarantee I would suck enough that Chase wouldn't get any catches, that doesn't mean that if I could actually get the ball to him I wouldn't be a Chase Merchant. Again, I don't think Burrow is carried by Chase, but your logic on this just seems really off man.

Burrow started the season something like 1/17 or 1/23 on passes further than 10 yards past the LoS.

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 09:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's a big uphill climb for this season.

The thing helping him is no QB is running away with it

If he finishes strong and we, Knock on wood, win out there is no way he doesn’t get it
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 01:58 AM)Housh Wrote: The thing helping him is no QB is running away with it

If he finishes strong and we, Knock on wood, win out there is no way he doesn’t get it

Venture to say, after today, CJ has a better chance than Burrow. However, I am putting my money on Lamar.
Reply/Quote
Zero after subpar performance today
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 10:08 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Zero after subpar performance today

What are Herbert’s odds?

Reply/Quote
Nada…zilch….not a chance….snowball chance in hell…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 09:56 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Venture to say, after today, CJ has a better chance than Burrow. However, I am putting my money on Lamar.

Apparently you didn't watch Lamar throw for under 200 yards and throw 2 picks today, 1 to lose the game..
Reply/Quote
Great if he gets a real OC
Reply/Quote
0%
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 10:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What are Herbert’s odds?

same neither should be mentioned in MVP talk at this point in season, way more players are having better seasons... seems a moot point right now for both.
Reply/Quote