Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Are This Team's Weaknesses?
We're still not getting a ton of respect around the league, in the media, or even really on this board, so my question is: what are this team's weaknesses? What's keeping us from being mentioned as contenders or even sleepers?

I like our team, and I realize that the division's tough, but is it just that and uncertainty?

The only major weaknesses that I see on our team are the offensive line (but they should be majorly improved), inside linebacker, and maybe defensive line but that's just because they're young and I think keeping them in a rotation could make for a solid squad.

Maybe throw in Taylor as a weakness.

What do you see as this team's weaknesses?
Reply/Quote
I think we are still short a receiver, TE, and the corner position is a big unknown. Still need a long term option at 3t.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The coaching staff by far. Other than that d line, o line, lbs, and te are still questions. There's potential there but they haven't shown anything.
Reply/Quote
Head coach
Offensive coordinator
Defensive coordinator
Front office/ ownership
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Head coach. O line. Entire defense minus Williams Bates. Kicker. QB2 and RB2/ 3rd down back all come to mind.

I get that off-season hopes are high, but this team did very little to deserve respect, and shouldn't get any until it is earned.

Edit: no idea how I confused Williams with Bates, especially considering Williams isn't on the team LOL
Reply/Quote
A tone-setting linebacker. Say what you want about Burfict, (I was personally a fan and of the opinion he simply played in the wrong era) but he brought that edge. The closest thing we have now to an enforcer is probably Bell, but I'd prefer another fear mongering player.

I actually think our offense, on paper at this stage at least, looks good. Burrow is back, OL is drastically improved, starting WRs are potentially elite, CJ is massively underrated and Mixon needs no explanation.

Reply/Quote
Pass rush. We just don’t have anyone that other teams fear like a Garrett, Watt, Bosa, etc. We’re adding some nice pieces though, and hopefully we’ll see a huge improvement, with them mostly getting it done by comity.

Reply/Quote
OL and LB, that's about it.

Oddly, some people are commenting coaches in this thread. But, man, half our wins came without Burrow. All of our wins came without an OL, WRs, starting TE, or DL. Personally, the coaches did pretty damn good considering the lack of talent/injuries.

If Chase and Carman are as advertised, this coaching staff is pretty well solidified.
Reply/Quote
If I had to guess at the end of the year rankings:

Elite at WR, QB, RB (Top 5)
Above-average at S (Top 10)
Average at DL, CB
Below average at LB (Bottom 10)
Awful at TE and OL (Bottom 5)
Reply/Quote
The coaching staff inspires no confidence, we still have questions along the OL, as of right now our best pass rusher is basically a 1 year wonder, our boundary CBs are question marks, I don't think anybody outside of our fan base can name a single LB on the roster. We also haven't had a winning record since 2015 so it's understandable why there's doubt being thrown our way.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
My take is that we actually have a pretty balanced team but the team as a whole is a huge question mark

New everything on defense, almost entirely made of new free agents and young developing players

We'll also roll out a mostly new O-line and new #1 receiver and our QB is coming off a major injury
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 11:59 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Head coach. O line. Entire defense minus Williams. Kicker. QB2 and RB2/ 3rd down back all come to mind.

I get that off-season hopes are high, but this team did very little to deserve respect, and shouldn't get any until it is earned.

Jessie Bates is a weakness?
Reply/Quote
Lack of elite talent on D outside of Bates
O-line is a question mark, will need cohesion
Huge drop off on O between starters in skill positions and back-ups - it'll only take one injury to scupper the O
Reply/Quote
Right now, the entire team is a weakness. Over the past two offseasons, they've turned over so many new faces. Until they grow and develop into a solid unit, they are just a collection of players. Only time and reps together will develop that strength, trust and unity that good teams have.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I want to believe this coaching staff will get it done but until they do it on the field I'd list it as a weakness.

The Oline is still a big question mark for me ? The LBers cause me concern. And I'm not totally sure about the pass rush ?
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 11:23 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We're still not getting a ton of respect around the league, in the media, or even really on this board, so my question is: what are this team's weaknesses?  What's keeping us from being mentioned as contenders or even sleepers?

I like our team, and I realize that the division's tough, but is it just that and uncertainty?

The only major weaknesses that I see on our team are the offensive line (but they should be majorly improved), inside linebacker, and maybe defensive line but that's just because they're young and I think keeping them in a rotation could make for a solid squad.

Maybe throw in Taylor as a weakness.  

What do you see as this team's weaknesses?

Coaching...    Hope they can look like they deserve the job this year  or be gone before years end

The fact they couldnt seem to figure out how to use anyone that was on the roster is very telling.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 01:24 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The coaching staff inspires no confidence,

They inspire no confidence on this board, or in "fans" in general. To a person (outside of Dunlap) every player I've heard interviewed has said they believe in what the coaches are doing and trying to build. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 08:39 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Coaching...    Hope they can look like they deserve the job this year  or be gone before years end

The fact they couldnt seem to figure out how to use anyone that was on the roster is very telling.

Yep. That was also a huge flaw of Marvin’s directly related to his inability to game plan.

I’d love to see a coach in Cincy for once just put together a plan in a game where we could say “he’s doing that because (x) on the other team can’t do (y).”

Sadly, I doubt it ever happens until we modernize the franchise, which doesn’t seem like it’s happening while Mike is still breathing.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 06:38 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Lack of elite talent on D outside of Bates
O-line is a question mark, will need cohesion
Huge drop off on O between starters in skill positions and back-ups - it'll only take one injury to scupper the O

DJ Reader is not an elite talent? 
Reply/Quote
1. Coaching 2. Lack of chemistry

Those 2 will be our biggest weakness.
Reply/Quote