Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are you Playing Now & General Game Discussions
(11-01-2021, 01:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Games coming this month

Animal Crossing DLC -11/5
Call of Duty Vanguard -11/5
Forza Horizon 5 (xbox) -11/9
Jurassic World Evolution 2 - 11/9
GTA trilogy Remaster - 11/11 (gta3 going to psnow gta san andras going to gamepass)
Skyrim Anniversary Edition 11/11
Microsoft Flight Sim GOTY (xbox) (free update if you own the game) -11/18
Deaths Door (ps) 11/23
Battlefield 2042 - 11/19
Oddworld Soulstorm (xbox) 11/29

There is more not listed but figured these be the highlights.
I think FF14 has an expansion coming too.

https://kotaku.com/video-game-release-dates-1847958863?scrlybrkr=210f49c1

Xbox's/Halos 20th Anniversary has an event on the 15th of november.

The Game Awards show is 12/7

I may go back to FF14 when that expansion comes out. Its actually one online game that handles okay on my hotspot internet. My problem is my account is authenticator protected on an old phone I don’t have access to anymore and I don’t feel like going through the rigmarole of calling them and going through a bunch of bs to get it back. I’ve had it since Early Release back when 2.0 released and all my progression was on ONE character. Recipes, gil, some rare equipment from Hard Mode raid encounters, etc. I haven’t made up my mind completely yet on coming back, but if I do, I’ll be rerolling on a new server and speed running through storylines to get up to recent content.

On a side note, I bought a cheap copy of PS4 God of War, the nordic themed one, and I absolutely love this game. I played it way back in the day but didn’t get too far and wasn’t too impressed. But this recent play through has completely changed my mind. Best God of War to date in my opinion and I’m looking forward to Ragnarok if and when they announce it!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 08:54 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Looks like Microsoft and Sega just made a partnership...  to help Sega get on Cloud servers i think

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/sega-partners-with-microsoft-to-develop-large-scale-global-games-on-azure-cloud/

I really wish devs would give up the cloud gaming stuff. Just my 2 cents, but I think the closer we get to an all-digital world, the worse it is for consumers. It gives all the power to companies when you remove consumer ownership from the equation.

For example, I got the all-digital Xbox Series S, and already regret it, as I've noticed Microsoft removes games they don't want you playing anymore. Such as old Forza games.

You also can't re-sell your old games and eventually we could reach a point where all gaming is done on subscription services, which will become VERY expensive if that does become the only option.

Sorry to go on a tangent. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 01:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Games coming this month

Animal Crossing DLC -11/5
Call of Duty Vanguard -11/5
Forza Horizon 5 (xbox)   -11/9
Jurassic World Evolution 2 - 11/9
GTA trilogy Remaster - 11/11  (gta3 going to psnow  gta san andras going to gamepass)
Skyrim Anniversary Edition 11/11
Microsoft Flight Sim GOTY (xbox) (free update if you own the game)   -11/18
Deaths Door (ps) 11/23
Battlefield 2042 - 11/19
Oddworld Soulstorm (xbox) 11/29

There is more not listed but figured these be the highlights.
I think FF14 has an expansion coming too.

https://kotaku.com/video-game-release-dates-1847958863?scrlybrkr=210f49c1

Xbox's/Halos 20th Anniversary  has an event on the 15th of november.

The Game Awards show is 12/7

Huge month for me. 

Already got the Animal Crossing DLC, and plan on getting Forza Horizon 5 (Xbox) and GTA trilogy (Switch).

Is the new Skyrim adding anything?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2021, 08:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Huge month for me. 

Already got the Animal Crossing DLC, and plan on getting Forza Horizon 5 (Xbox) and GTA trilogy (Switch).

Is the new Skyrim adding anything?

Ill find a list of what has been announced so far for Skyrim Anniversary...     as soon as i can lol.  I watched a video yesterday detailing some of the Mods being added (500 in total for the anniversary and i think 4 Major ones as a free upgrade to the special edition)   They are releasing so new mod dev tools as well as the boost to next gen.

***Elden ring showing off 15 minutes of gameplay @10 am today
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2021, 08:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I really wish devs would give up the cloud gaming stuff. Just my 2 cents, but I think the closer we get to an all-digital world, the worse it is for consumers. It gives all the power to companies when you remove consumer ownership from the equation.

For example, I got the all-digital Xbox Series S, and already regret it, as I've noticed Microsoft removes games they don't want you playing anymore. Such as old Forza games.

You also can't re-sell your old games and eventually we could reach a point where all gaming is done on subscription services, which will become VERY expensive if that does become the only option.

Well its good and bad.

Some games do get removed due to license agreements.   Forza is definitely one of those currently the only one for purchase is horizon 4. and 5 thats out in a few days  But the older games were only removed from being able to be purchased digitally. if you already own them you can still download and have access.

Now Xbox was gonna add something that allowed you to sell your digital games at the beginning of Xbox 1... But everyone booed it out of existence back then. (DMR)

I like digital purchases for the fact they can go everywhere your account is...  But it also has its draw backs as you stated if you lose your account get banned or some other issue you can lose content.  (but pyshical stuff has drawbacks too..)

Cloud gaming is going bring some interesting results. and is what made Flight sim possible  Kojima and Sega are both looking at making a cloud game. 

game pass ultimate on a year if you pay full price is the cost of 3 full games for constant access to 400+ games (not always the same games) on xbox and pc and anywhere cloud will get you now...   Can be expensive or cheaper than gaming depending on how many games you play a year.  (i dont use gamepass btw  well not yet at least maybe this next year ill jump in)

we will start to see Subscript services get consolidated now there is too many out there.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2021, 09:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Well its good and bad.

Some games do get removed due to license agreements.   Forza is definitely one of those currently the only one for purchase is horizon 4. and 5 thats out in a few days  But the older games were only removed from being able to be purchased digitally. if you already own them you can still download and have access.

Now Xbox was gonna add something that allowed you to sell your digital games at the beginning of Xbox 1... But everyone booed it out of existence back then. (DMR)

I like digital purchases for the fact they can go everywhere your account is...  But it also has its draw backs as you stated if you lose your account get banned or some other issue you can lose content.  (but pyshical stuff has drawbacks too..)

Cloud gaming is going bring some interesting results. and is what made Flight sim possible  Kojima and Sega are both looking at making a cloud game. 

game pass ultimate on a year if you pay full price is the cost of 3 full games for constant access to 400+ games (not always the same games) on xbox and pc and anywhere cloud will get you now...   Can be expensive or cheaper than gaming depending on how many games you play a year.  (i dont use gamepass btw  well not yet at least maybe this next year ill jump in)

we will start to see Subscript services get consolidated now there is too many out there.

Balance is key. That said, companies will push digital hard, because it gives them all the power and control, removes production costs for physical games, and keeps people from buying/playing used games.

Companies are already pushing all digital systems and rewarding people more for digital purchases.

Consumers just have to fight to keep balance. I guess the only real way to do so is to mostly buy physical when possible, although I understand many people prefer digital. I just wish everyone would be aware of what the long term effects could be.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2021, 04:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Balance is key. That said, companies will push digital hard, because it gives them all the power and control, removes production costs for physical games, and keeps people from buying/playing used games.

Companies are already pushing all digital systems and rewarding people more for digital purchases.

Consumers just have to fight to keep balance. I guess the only real way to do so is to mostly buy physical when possible, although I understand many people prefer digital. I just wish everyone would be aware of what the long term effects could be.

I totally agree...  Myself i dont use game pass... But understand what value it has and will probly get it.  but i still purchase most the games i want.

Now it gets tricky   Cause the big choice between disc and digital with Xbox at least is Disc i can let someone borrow it...  Or Digital i basically get 2 copies for the price of 1 with game sharing.   (or play anywhere with xbox,pc,cloud etc...)

For instance i have Halo infinite and Elden ring preorder for disc cause i want the disc and the boxes...
(i dont think PC games have had anything more than download codes for years now. )

But the trend is moving to all digital as some companies are trying to get carbon nuetral i think its called... So less environmental impact etc.

I used to be that guy in gamestop at least once a week looking for a deal.. Now the digital store usually offers better deals than the stores ever due if your patient. (this and i am running out of shelf space lol)

i like both ways. and will be sad if either disappears completely.
Reply/Quote
If anyone is on PC, Amazon Prime is giving away Dragon Age: Inquisition and Control for free.

Imo, DA:I was not a good game, but people swear by it.

I'd never heard of Control; it's actually a pretty fun game. It's a lot like the New Weird stories from the SCP Foundation (I think that's what it's called; I haven't checked it out in years).
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2021, 08:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I really wish devs would give up the cloud gaming stuff. Just my 2 cents, but I think the closer we get to an all-digital world, the worse it is for consumers. It gives all the power to companies when you remove consumer ownership from the equation.

I see both sides.

As someone who grew up in the sticks, getting physical copies of games wasn't always realistic. I'm good with downloading games. If, at 2 AM on a Thursday, my drunk ass wants to play Worms Armageddon, I download it. Bam. There it is. My disc gets scratched? Nope, I DL'ed the game.

(11-05-2021, 06:13 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: If anyone is on PC, Amazon Prime is giving away Dragon Age: Inquisition and Control for free.

Imo, DA:I was not a good game, but people swear by it.

I'd never heard of Control; it's actually a pretty fun game. It's a lot like the New Weird stories from the SCP Foundation (I think that's what it's called; I haven't checked it out in years).

Man, I've done six play throughs of DA:I. It's one of my favorite games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 10:40 PM)Benton Wrote: Man, I've done six play throughs of DA:I. It's one of my favorite games.

I dunno man; the 2nd one is definitely the weakest. I think they made them too action/adventure after Origins (which was a GD masterpiece to me). I just couldn't get behind the story of Inquisition, so much so that I remember nothing of it (other than the redhead from Origins being in it again).

But I got it for free on PC, so I'm gonna mod it to be prettier and I'll give it another shot when I'm done with Control which has been a very pleasant surprise fwiw.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 10:40 PM)Benton Wrote: I see both sides.

As someone who grew up in the sticks, getting physical copies of games wasn't always realistic. I'm good with downloading games. If, at 2 AM on a Thursday, my drunk ass wants to play Worms Armageddon, I download it. Bam. There it is. My disc gets scratched? Nope, I DL'ed the game.

I get it. I'd be lying if I said I don't have a small collection of digital games. Even on Switch, which has the physical option. Sometimes it's nice to have some of my games built into the system.

So generally I buy bigger games (and games I love) physically, and have a small collection I can pull up in a pinch when I'm feeling extra lazy, or don't care about collecting the game.
Reply/Quote
Repentance DLC for Binding of Isaac finally made it to console.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
More info for Skyrim Anniversary on 11/11/21

https://www.destructoid.com/skyrim-anniversary-edition-upgrade-if-you-own-the-special-edition/?scrlybrkr=a17ee2a4

https://bethesda.net/en/article/3mxTW4iQYGrVZrWRqVfomQ/skyrim-anniversary-edition-and-creation-club-content-first-look?scrlybrkr=c73a6617

The run down

If you own the Special edition of skyrim the next gen upgrade is free for Xbox and PS... Xbox is the same chievo list PS has a separate one (cause they cant do smart delivery for some reason)

Free upgrade comes with 4 pieces of new content.

Anniversary Upgrade from Special cost $20...

Anniversary Purchase without owning the previous version is 50

Forza offically launches today.. Also Jurassic world 2 (the park building simulator thing) is out today.
Reply/Quote
At this point, I’d much rather continue buying Elder Scrolls Online expansions than I would yet another Skyrim. Its a good game, I can’t deny that, but Bethesda has really been dropping the ball here in the recent past. Instead of producing a new Elder Scrolls game, lets rerererelease Skyrim. Mods be damned, its still THE SAME GAME. Prettier graphics. But not much actually NEW. Bet it’ll have that sexy $60+ price tag as well.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 04:31 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: At this point, I’d much rather continue buying Elder Scrolls Online expansions than I would yet another Skyrim. Its a good game, I can’t deny that, but Bethesda has really been dropping the ball here in the recent past. Instead of producing a new Elder Scrolls game, lets rerererelease Skyrim. Mods be damned, its still THE SAME GAME. Prettier graphics. But not much actually NEW. Bet it’ll have that sexy $60+ price tag as well.

Bethesda is close to finishing StarField (been in dev for 10 years) they moved their main team to Starfield after FO4 launched.... then will likely move into full production on TES6.     They likely have more than just the main Team. (main team doing Starfield)   so likely TES6 has been being worked on for a while same with Fallout 5.  But Bethesda single player games have all been worth the wait.

Skyrim anniversary prices were listed previously
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 04:31 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: At this point, I’d much rather continue buying Elder Scrolls Online expansions than I would yet another Skyrim. Its a good game, I can’t deny that, but Bethesda has really been dropping the ball here in the recent past. Instead of producing a new Elder Scrolls game, lets rerererelease Skyrim. Mods be damned, its still THE SAME GAME. Prettier graphics. But not much actually NEW. Bet it’ll have that sexy $60+ price tag as well.

We haven't had a new mainline Elder Scrolls since 2011.
Haven't had a new GTA since 2013.
Nintendo is milking old ports to death.
I'm probably leaving out a bunch of franchises that have gone a decade+.

I think permanent online games such as Fortnite and GTA online have completely wrecked the gaming landscape, and companies have shifted to trying to find the next online goldmine that only needs occasional tweaks and can sell virtual cosmetics for all eternity.

It's low effort and makes way more money. I think the trend will die eventually as people get sick of waiting a decade+ for entirely new games.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 07:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We haven't had a new mainline Elder Scrolls since 2011.
Haven't had a new GTA since 2013.
Nintendo is milking old ports to death.
I'm probably leaving out a bunch of franchises that have gone a decade+.

I think permanent online games such as Fortnite and GTA online have completely wrecked the gaming landscape, and companies have shifted to trying to find the next online goldmine that only needs occasional tweaks and can sell virtual cosmetics for all eternity.

It's low effort and makes way more money. I think the trend will die eventually as people get sick of waiting a decade+ for entirely new games.

Remember when rockstar came out with more than 1 game a year....

Now we are lucky its its more than 1 a decade.

Games are getting bigger...  And every time a game is super successful it raises the bar for the next one. And sadly there isnt enough Dev power to go around for everything.

But you are right and you see a lot of games being set up like that.    Build a game and maintain and add on is much easier than reinventing the wheel every 3-5 years with a new title.    It lets you keep a smaller team on the project to run it while bringing in all the cash of the microtransactions (a trend i really really hate..... for AAA games)     which is why we havent seen a new GTA they are busy getting fat off shark cards.

Ubisoft seems to be headed towards the Games as a service model with their next wave of games they have announced. Even Halo infinite is a GAAS title. (There are things to like and things to hate about it..)

I like and hate timed events in games as well.. Its cool they add events. It sucks if they are timed and can no longer be access after that. As they will usually dissuade me from buying a game later in its life as ill feel i missed out on a lot. But all you can do is speak with your wallet on those things.
Reply/Quote
if you're Interested the Skyrim Anniversary Event and Concert is @ 2pm est today

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/bethesdas-10th-anniversary-skyrim-concert-takes-place-today-watch-it-live-here/?scrlybrkr=a4ca7108

^^article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ9KAggC728&feature=emb_imp_woyt

^^stream at 2
Reply/Quote
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-game-awards-2021-nominations-announced?scrlybrkr=887be273

The list of Games Nominated for different Categories for this Years GOTY rewards.... (the game awards 12.9)

Voting is live for fans.

There is expected to be 40 to 50 games shown and usually some big news breaks...
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2021, 01:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: https://www.ign.com/articles/the-game-awards-2021-nominations-announced?scrlybrkr=887be273

The list of Games Nominated for different Categories for this Years GOTY rewards.... (the game awards 12.9)

Voting is live for fans.

There is expected to be 40 to 50 games shown and usually some big news breaks...

I lost any respect I had for these awards shows last year when Last of Us 2 took game of the year over ACNH, FF7 remake and Hades.

I just don't get what criteria they use. ACNH was not only the best selling game, it was the most culturally relevant. It was the game of the pandemic. Then you had a masterful remake of an all-time game with FF7 and one of the best indies ever in Hades.

I feel like Lou2 skated by on the hype of it's predecessor.

As far as this year's nominees though, I don't have a dog in the fight. I didn't touch any of those games. Any you recommend?
Reply/Quote