Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Grade Would you Give the Bengals Thus Far during the OFF-SEASON?
A - F
Reply/Quote
C- Letting Whit go was terrible in my opinion and really hurt this already weak Offensive Line.

Bringing in Andre at RG was a good move and Minter was a great grab that honestly surprised me.

Also liked us bringing back Lafell, Kirkpatrick and Peerman.

Sucked losing Burkhead.

Letting the OL regress at LT was a bad move even though Og will be better.

Should of replaced PA and Bodine this Offseason.
Reply/Quote
The Minter signing raised the grade from a rock solid F to a D.

- I was fine with letting Whit and Z go as long as they used that money to pursue other upgrades. I don't feel they did.
- The fact that the Bengals wanted Whit back at all shows their lack of confidence in Ogbuehi...yet when they lost Whit, they apparently decided to just roll with Ogbuehi. Weak.
- Andre Smith was mercifully signed, but I'm sure he was dirt cheap for good reason. He's struggled to stay healthy. He can help if he can see the field though.
- Replacing Maualuga with a younger and fresher player was a sound move. A move that should happen more often. I never hated Rey, but he looked washed in 2016.
- Good on them to bring back Kirkpatrick. Pacman will likely be suspended and needs to go anyway. Behind them is a group of unproven players. Kirk is our best corner, no doubt. Imagine that.

A home-run draft could raise this grade, but every team gets to use the draft. I really wish this team would start utilizing FA better.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
C-

Not catastrophic, but definitely not a report card you would put on the refrigerator.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 04:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Minter signing raised the grade from a rock solid F to a D.

- I was fine with letting Whit and Z go as long as they used that money to pursue other upgrades. I don't feel they did.
- The fact that the Bengals wanted Whit back at all shows their lack of confidence in Ogbuehi...yet when they lost Whit, they apparently decided to just roll with Ogbuehi. Weak.
- Andre Smith was mercifully signed, but I'm sure he was dirt cheap for good reason. He's struggled to stay healthy. He can help if he can see the field though.
- Replacing Maualuga with a younger and fresher player was a sound move. A move that should happen more often. I never hated Rey, but he looked washed in 2016.
- Good on them to bring back Kirkpatrick. Pacman will likely be suspended and needs to go anyway. Behind them is a group of unproven players. Kirk is our best corner, no doubt. Imagine that.

A home-run draft could raise this grade, but every team gets to use the draft. I really wish this team would start utilizing FA better.

Minter definately raised my grade big time. Dude was a Captain on Zona's #2 ranked Defense and can stop the
run and cover, he is only 26 and is in his prime. This guy should help keep our LB's in the proper positions unlike
last year with the headset. Heard they are working on a longer deal.

I think Andre will be a badass Right Guard for us.
Reply/Quote
Hard to go much higher than a D here. Losing Whit and Zeitler is just bad...really bad. Granted they planned to lose Zeitler all along, but not studying for a final exam doesn't excuse the F you'll get on it and letting the best 2 guys from the worst unit on your team walk is just plain stupid. Burkhead leaving was going to happen, the guy wants to play and wants to win and neither is an option right now here, so I can't fault the team for losing him, short of cutting Hill (which they won't do) there was no way to lure Rex back. Dre K, Minter, Lafell are all good moves. Bringing man boobs back to town may pan out...or he may spend the year on IR again..so no grade movement there.

The biggest concern with this FA period is the lack of upgrades. There is one guy you can view as an upgrade on a team that was really bad last year. If you have a bad team, and only make one improvement, that doesn't give much hope for the future or give any reason to rate the offseason above a D.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Incomplete
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 04:11 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Hard to go much higher than a D here. Losing Whit and Zeitler is just bad...really bad. Granted they planned to lose Zeitler all along, but not studying for a final exam doesn't excuse the F you'll get on it and letting the best 2 guys from the worst unit on your team walk is just plain stupid. Burkhead leaving was going to happen, the guy wants to play and wants to win and neither is an option right now here, so I can't fault the team for losing him, short of cutting Hill (which they won't do) there was no way to lure Rex back. Dre K, Minter, Lafell are all good moves. Bringing man boobs back to town may pan out...or he may spend the year on IR again..so no grade movement there.

The biggest concern with this FA period is the lack of upgrades. There is one guy you can view as an upgrade on a team that was really bad last year. If you have a bad team, and only make one improvement, that doesn't give much hope for the future or give any reason to rate the offseason above a D.

What makes you think Andre will spend the year on IR?

I actually always thought he would make a great RG with his size and strength. He is a good run blocker, just what we
needed at RG. Zeitler was a great pass protector but was poor in the running game. For a former RT to move to RG is
a beautiful move to me, one i think will really pay off this year. My question is still at Center and Og improving enough.

They should of went after Wisnewski for competition at Center. TJ Johnson is not the answer. Is Mangold still out there
i wonder? Hopefully we draft one of the top Centers.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 04:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What makes you think Andre will spend the year on IR?

He missed 12 games last year, 21 games in the last 3 years, and 42 total games in his 8 year career.

I liked bringing him back, but it's hard to give a serious bump in grade for signing a guy who has missed that many games and probably came dirt cheap for that reason.

He might help, he might not.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
D right now.

Pacman, Maualuga, and Johnson should of been on the street but instead they are taking up valuable resources.

Minter seems like a good signing until you read the Cards board. We'll see.
BODINE!...is still here.
DreK had a fine contract year. I truly hope it was a turning point because he got $. A lot.
Andre Smith...Which one are we going to get?

Whit was damn hard but that contract though.
Zeitler less so but still. And that contract though.

Jeremy Hill over Rex Burkhead. On paper this should be a no brainier but it isn't and it leaves me confused because Sexy clearly had the better year. YET, we have many believe he cannot be a every down back. I often wonder if it is because he is white hence part of my confusion. As it stands he was made for NE, i have been saying it for years. Why? Because they do magical things with little white guys.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 04:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Incomplete

This for me too
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
As of right now, it's almost impossible to give them a passing grade, but I'm willing to see what the finished product looks like before I grade it.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 04:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What makes you think Andre will spend the year on IR?

I actually always thought he would make a great RG with his size and strength. He is a good run blocker, just what we
needed at RG. Zeitler was a great pass protector but was poor in the running game. For a former RT to move to RG is
a beautiful move to me, one i think will really pay off this year. My question is still at Center and Og improving enough.

They should of went after Wisnewski for competition at Center. TJ Johnson is not the answer. Is Mangold still out there
i wonder? Hopefully we draft one of the top Centers.

(03-24-2017, 04:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He missed 12 games last year, 21 games in the last 3 years, and 42 total games in his 8 year career.

I liked bringing him back, but it's hard to give a serious bump in grade for signing a guy who has missed that many games and probably came dirt cheap for that reason.

This ^

I hope I'm wrong and I would love to be wrong and see Andre come in here and just be a damn force at RG, but he signed a multi-year deal with the Vikings and they let him go due to the injuries. 

When he was here, he struggled to stay healthy and in shape, it's just been his career. Maybe on a one year deal, the guy will work hard to stay in shape and stay healthy so he can get one more payday, but history says he'll miss time again.

Reply/Quote
D

Lost Whit and Zeitler, didn't even try with Zeitler. So that's out two best O-lineman. And this is after we saved money from last year, too.

Pacman is still here, even though felony charges have been dropped, he still has other charges against him. He's on the decline as well, and we have drafted CBs to take his place. Cut him and take the money.

Minter was a very good signing. Now if they would cut Maualuga it would be better.

The signed Andre Smith, a guy who missed 21 games the past 3 seasons, was called lazy his final season here, bad mouthed the team, and was terrible last season. Not only that, but the signed him to a bigger deal than he got last season.

We are worse than we were at the beginning in numerous facets. Offensive line, keeping players that are a liability rather than an asset, and focusing on comp picks rather than signing good players (outside on Minter).
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 04:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This ^

I hope I'm wrong and I would love to be wrong and see Andre come in here and just be a damn force at RG, but he signed a multi-year deal with the Vikings and they let him go due to the injuries. 

When he was here, he struggled to stay healthy and in shape, it's just been his career. Maybe on a one year deal, the guy will work hard to stay in shape and stay healthy so he can get one more payday, but history says he'll miss time again.

To be fair. Andre only signed a 1 year deal with Minnesota.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 04:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He missed 12 games last year, 21 games in the last 3 years, and 42 total games in his 8 year career.

Damn, didn't know the injuries were that bad with Andre. Nervous

(03-24-2017, 04:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This ^

Hope you are wrong too, but history is on your side about Andre being injured all the time as Shake here shown.

We should of brought in atleast one more O-lineman as insurance with the way Bodine and Og played last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 04:54 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: To be fair. Andre only signed a 1 year deal with Minnesota.

I just saw that, and you are correct. 

Not sure who I was thinking of with the multi-year deal then...might have been still thinking of when Steinbach left with all the Zeitler comparisons.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 05:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn, didn't know the injuries were that bad with Andre. Nervous

Hope you are wrong too, but history is on your side about Andre being injured all the time as Shake here shown.

We should of brought in atleast one more O-lineman as insurance with the way Bodine and Og played last year.

Absolutely, and that is why I'm down on the off-season thus far. The line was just horrible, and short of Og and Bodine and Fisher making huge strides this season, it will be pretty ugly again. 

And you have to wonder, did Rex see the loss of Whit and Zeitler and go, "I'm not running behind that line."

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 05:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Absolutely, and that is why I'm down on the off-season thus far. The line was just horrible, and short of Og and Bodine and Fisher making huge strides this season, it will be pretty ugly again. 

And you have to wonder, did Rex see the loss of Whit and Zeitler and go, "I'm not running behind that line."

Another poster brought up how much has been thrown at Fisher's feet over his first 2 years and i think that
is a great point. Fisher has done everything asked of him, even playing TE and FB for God sake. He should
really improve staying at one position.

Og will improve, he cannot get any worse and LT is his natural position with his athleticism. He just needs
to add about 10-15 pounds of muscle and gain a bit of confidence.

Bodine i have gave up on. We need to draft one of the top Centers...
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 05:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: And you have to wonder, did Rex see the loss of Whit and Zeitler and go, "I'm not running behind that line."

Hilarious Also, THe Pats. Rex is guaranteed atleast a playoff win and most likely a SB as well.

Reply/Quote