Safety
WR Depth
Backer
Other (Explain)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
What Weaknesses Do We Have?
It will be kinda cool if Austin stops playing that weak zone on defense.

If that stays...I think we can conclude it's Marvin and not all these different DC's.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 09:29 PM)Neon Icon Wrote: It will be kinda cool if Austin stops playing that weak zone on defense.

If that stays...I think we can conclude it's Marvin and not all these different DC's.
This is a true story. And I am not sold on Lazor as OC. A lot is riding on the "new and improved" coaching. I am hopeful, but 50 years as a Bengal fan has me doubting these guys will find the rosetta stone.
Reply/Quote
I have to say offensive line. It's by far been our glaring weakness the last couple seasons ! And while I hope the off season moves have fixed it, I'm just not sure yet.

Of course ML is a giant problem but I view him more as a millstone than a weakness.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 07:28 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: As a team, what weaknesses do you see on our team?

Obviously, the line is a huge question mark with Fisher struggling at right tackle, but let's hope he can finally put it together with being fully healthy and with Pollack's coaching, and Hart will hopefully push him.  Glenn appears to be an upgrade at left tackle and is even glorified by some experts as one of the top ten left tackles in the league.  Price can hopefully anchor the line and be the leader and strongpoint on the line that we've been missing since Braham.  Guard is still a question mark and should be a good competition with Redmond, Westerman, Boling, and Hopkins.

The line could be, and (at the moment) appears to be, a weaknesses, but Pollack could turn it into a strength or at least a serviceable squad.  

We obviously have AJ and Ross could be coming into his own, and LaFell is also average but, outside of those three, depth could be a concern at receiver.

Safety could be seen as a weakness, but I'm hoping that Bates brings some excitement into the secondary and is a force at one safety spot for us.

Is backer a weakness?  We have Burfict and Jefferson, but will our third backer be good enough?  Can Preston Brown get it done?  Is Vigil improving enough?  Rey?

I left off Marvin and I'm hoping that it finally clicks for him this year and that the assistant coaches help mask his weaknesses and that he listens to them.  He didn't have coaches good enough to be strong enough minds to have an influence on him, but I'm hoping that they play a part in game planning and clock management this year.

Do you agree with my weaknesses?  What weaknesses do you see?
Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton. We will not win a super bowl with these two.And I guess I could say our Bengals will never win the big one.Just way too many better coaching staffs,general Managers,and so much better talent out there.Thing about it.Andy is a nice guy,Marvin is way too conservative and Mike is never going to change.We have what we have,a good team but not a great one.The ones that win the big one have superior qbs, a killer instinct on defense and a coaching staff that knows how to pull the trigger at the right time.we have none of that.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 10:10 PM)Derrick Wrote: This is a true story. And I am not sold on Lazor as OC. A lot is riding on the "new and improved" coaching. I am hopeful, but 50 years as a Bengal fan has me doubting these guys will find the rosetta stone.

Actually, I'm quite optimistic about Lazor.  Here's why.  It's not like he's coming in cold, he's had two years to fully get to know the offensive personnel at his disposal, and waited his turn to get his say.  Last year, I really don't hold him much accountable for, except at the end where he essentially told PA to piss off.  Last year he had to operate on Jay Gruden's offensive plan, that was customized by Hue Jackson, then bastardized by Ken Zampese (let alone bogged down with a lot of unnecessary terminology).

Bill Lazor has had a fair amount of time to evaluate the situation, before installing his own offense, customized to the personnel that he knows what they are capable of.  The way I see it, as soon as the OL, with all of their new faces in new places, gels into a cohesive unit, this offense could score a ton of points.

Bottom Line? I look for this team to be hit or miss early, then gain momentum and grow to juggernaut status similar to 2015. (prior to the Andy thumb breaking)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 10:10 PM)Derrick Wrote: This is a true story. And I am not sold on Lazor as OC. A lot is riding on the "new and improved" coaching. I am hopeful, but 50 years as a Bengal fan has me doubting these guys will find the rosetta stone.

I'm not sold on Lazor either, but if this team can start running the ball for 4 yards per tote, it changes the entire offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 11:14 PM)Neon Icon Wrote: I'm not sold on Lazor either, but if this team can start running the ball for 4 yards per tote, it changes the entire offense.

4 yards per carry isn't some "magic number".  If you look at stats, 4 ypc was just middle of the pack last season.  Going to take more than that to get to glory.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Right side of the line. Then WR depth. The OL is obvious, but the WRs could actually do something if people step up.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 11:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 4 yards per carry isn't some "magic number".  If you look at stats, 4 ypc was just middle of the pack last season.  Going to take more than that to get to glory.

Clapping

Yep. We averaged 4.0 in 2016 and finished 23rd in ypc. We need to set our sights higher. We should aim for 4.5. 

People might laugh at that 0.5 yard difference, but on 450 attempts (about average) that adds up to over 14 more yards per game.

The better, more efficient run games in the NFL always average around 4.5 or better.

Fwiw, the Bengals have not averaged 4.5 YPC in a season since 2000. The Dolphins averaged 4.7 in Bill Lazor's only full season as OC.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It's worth repeating.

You say you want more rushing yards. That's going to take better BLOCKING
You say you want more receivers catching passes. That's going to take better BLOCKING
You say you want Dalton to to do more. That's going to take better BLOCKING.
You say you want the Defense to look better. That's going to take better BLOCKING
You say you want Coach Lewis to win a play-off game. That's going to take better BLOCKING

The Bengals Defense was on the field more than any defense in NFL.
The Bengals Offense was on the field less than any team in the NFL.
The Bengals had WORST OFFENSIVE LINE in NFL.
It's amazing they won 7 games. Luckily the defense kept them in games in spite of this fatigue factor.
Dalton also did some great quarterbacking to win games in spite of awful, awful O Line getting him clobbered every play.

Message to Mike Brown : You always say, " Why should I pay an offensive lineman ". I'll tell you why if you still don't know.
Without BLOCKING you might as well trade Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap. Trade everybody and field the cheapest paid team ever
because without BLOCKING you aren't going to win anyway. None of the playbook can work without BLOCKING. None of it. There
is no playbook for no BLOCKING. So Mr Brown, either have BLOCKING or don't pay anybody. You are just wasting your money on
players and coaches and computer charts and training facilities, all wasted money without BLOCKING. If Price becomes a good Center, I hope you don't let him go when he is contract eligible with your " Why should I pay an Offensive Lineman " . That is the difference between you and your Dad, Paul Brown, because he always had good offensive linemen in 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and 1980's. Then in 1990's you took over and you just have never understood the need for Blocking as your Great Ohio Football Father did.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2018, 06:07 AM)kevin Wrote:   Then in 1990's you took over and you just have never understood the need for Blocking as your Great Ohio Football Father did.

Mike Brown values offensive linemen.

When Levi Jones signed his last contract with the Bengals it made him the fourth highest paid OT in the league.  And when Willie Anderson signed his it made them the highest paid OT duo in the league.  Mike Brown also paid well to keep Rich Braham, Bobbie Williams, Whitworth, and Boling.

Over the last 10 years we have used more first round picks on O-linemen (4) than any other position.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2018, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Jefferson is a huge question mark.

Preston Brown has proven he can lead the leagu in tackles.

I like both additions, but would have liked to see a little better depth there.

Offensive line pretty much goes without saying, as biggest concern though. Hoping Pollack's philosophy is gonna do wonders for the oline guys.
Reply/Quote
Brown should help. He graded out as an average LB last year and has a lot of tackles.

I tell my dudes that say we need to sign stars that when you have a bad player starting, that if you replace him with an average dude you get better.
Reply/Quote
has anyone said quarterback yet?
Reply/Quote
RG, RT, DT, LB, WR2

It's possible some of last years players and newly added FA and draft picks may step up.

But I feel real queasy about RT, DT and LB.
Reply/Quote
Weakest link for the bengals is the 12th man Home field advantage.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 01:06 AM)Shady Wrote: I'd have preferred Griffin, too. Maybe they thought he was too undersized for the scheme they want to run. I don't know. Marvin is awful at drafting LBs. Maybe Austin sees something in Jefferson that we don't. I know it's his job to be upbeat in the media on draft day, but he seemed excited about him.

The other thing we have to hope for is that Mark Walton posts some good numbers as RB #3. We know that Mixon and Gio could both miss time again this year. Injuries happen. Walton could be very important insurance.

Still, I wish Griffin was in Stripes.
Agree on Griffin.

Hope I'm wrong.  Would have made cutting Wilson easier too.
Reply/Quote
Offensive line, easily.

While I love the Cordy Glenn trade, he's only played 16 games in the past 2 years. There's injury concerns with him.
Now the right side will most likely be Fisher.
However, both Jake Fisher and Cedric Ogbuehi have never started a full 16 game season. And Ogbuehi was never good at LT.
Hart is not good depth. He's an awful tackle.

I was surprised the Bengals waited until the 7th round to get another offensive lineman.

I know people like Redmond and Westerman, and there's reasons to have hope, but this was THE YEAR to grab an interior lineman and they only grabbed one.

Also the torn pectoral worries me. I don't care what Marvin has to say. I never fully believe anything the coaching staff says when it comes to injuries because we get lied to a lot.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Fanbase!

Team made adjustments and made moves we are not used to. I would say that they were great moves, but hell, even I don't believe every move in the Draft was good, but FA was a shocker to me. They really didn't do all they could in FA, but they actually did something. That's out of our wheelhouse to say the least.

Our fanbase is not the strongest, and shit, why should we be? Ever since MB took over this team it has been bad decisions killing possible hope. Terrible, terrible FO and coaching. So here we are. We did something. Is it enough? Probably not because why? Well, from what I listed above. Ownership and coaching. But, they seemed to have redirected the ship. They will need a lighthouse. So, let's be that lighthouse. Maybe Mike and Marv are slow learners? Maybe they now understand? I won't bank on that, but there are people there now who were not who can make a huge change if it all fits together.

We shall see.

Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 11:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, I'm quite optimistic about Lazor.  Here's why.  It's not like he's coming in cold, he's had two years to fully get to know the offensive personnel at his disposal, and waited his turn to get his say.  Last year, I really don't hold him much accountable for, except at the end where he essentially told PA to piss off.  Last year he had to operate on Jay Gruden's offensive plan, that was customized by Hue Jackson, then bastardized by Ken Zampese (let alone bogged down with a lot of unnecessary terminology).

Bill Lazor has had a fair amount of time to evaluate the situation, before installing his own offense, customized to the personnel that he knows what they are capable of.  The way I see it, as soon as the OL, with all of their new faces in new places, gels into a cohesive unit, this offense could score a ton of points.

Bottom Line?  I look for this team to be hit or miss early, then gain momentum and grow to juggernaut status similar to 2015. (prior to the Andy thumb breaking)

Completely agree !

We've been running the Gru/Jack/Pese O the last two seasons and it's dry and stale to say the least. I'm anxious to see what a completely new offensive philosophy will bring.
Reply/Quote