Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Would You Give Up For A Center?
We can all hope that Bodine comes out and holds his own, but he's looked shaky in the preseason.

If we get a game or two in and it looks like the offense can't operate with him at center, what would you give up in a trade to get a quality center in order to save the season?

It would obviously depend on how good the center is, but I'd be willing to give up a third round pick if that's what this team needs to be a contender, even if we get hosed in trade value because it's a need.

We can't do anything if Bodine's getting pushed back into Andy on every play.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 02:13 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: We can all hope that Bodine comes out and holds his own, but he's looked shaky in the preseason.

If we get a game or two in and it looks like the offense can't operate with him at center, what would you give up in a trade to get a quality center in order to save the season?

It would obviously depend on how good the center is, but I'd be willing to give up a third round pick if that's what this team needs to be a contender, even if we get hosed in trade value because it's a need.

We can't do anything if Bodine's getting pushed back into Andy on every play.

I was informed a while back this couldn't happen because bench press and it only happens to Kyle Cook who Bodine is better than? 

/sarcasm
Reply/Quote
To get a legit first rate NFL caliber starting Center?

Second Rounder.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wish Alex Mack was in same situation but not on Cleveland bc he's perfect trade bait being on a one year deal with Cam Erving there to move back to his center position and replace him.
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
We have had our chances at centers over the past few years and haven't taken a chance.

The staff will rely on their draft picks to fill the role (which may mean an early C pick next year).

Either way... Mack was a FA only 2 years ago and we had the money to hand to him... would've made this team THAT much better.

Oh well haha
Reply/Quote
A lot of things would have to happen. We have seen some terrible center play, so even if he's terrible they'll use Johnson as a band-aid until the trade deadline. I would have liked to see Boling as an option in the middle, with Winston at guard and next year Fisher takes over. Let's throw all that aside and go with an outside option as you mention.

IMO, a team that's out of it could be more likely to give up a vet starter. Center is unique though, because even if the Titans are bombing and would be happy to giveup a random starter/give a young replacement playing time/add a pick...it won't be for the sake of messing with a young QB's development. So throw out teams like Tampa or the Titans. Look at the Redskins. They have a strong vet in Kory Lictensteiger, QB's that don't need developed and a bad team that could use any sort of mid round pick next year. He's a solid player, worthy of say a 4th or 5th at best. That's the sort of deal that would have to come together for the Bengals to make a move. Once more, this is a scenario where Bodine is terrible, hopefully he is at least average though.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 02:26 AM)Joelist Wrote: To get a legit first rate NFL caliber starting Center?

Second Rounder.

I would as well. It would shore up our entire OL which would help the entire team more than about anything else.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 03:01 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: I wish Alex Mack was in same situation but not on Cleveland bc he's perfect trade bait being on a one year deal with Cam Erving there to move back to his center position and replace him.

Right now I'd trade the Browns Chris Carter, Chris Lewis-Harris, a 5th rounder, and to top it off Giovanni Bernard for Alex Mack.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
We've got an outstanding OL. We could use an upgrade at center, but overall, we've still got a line that's better than two thirds of the teams out there. Easily.

That said, we're in the bed we made. We usually take a highly likely to produce player at 1, then go with big potential guys 2-3, guys who may not be very good but have good measurables. Sometimes that works and you get an MJ or a Pat Simms. Usually we get a Jerome Simpson, Dontay Moch or Margus Hunt. Good size, great 40 time and great height/reach... but ultimately it was bust, bust and bust. I think we've drafted well overall for a while, but that is one trend that needs to stop. Just take the solid players at positions we need and stop trying to shoot the dice on guys like that.
Reply/Quote
Nothing. Just wait til the draft.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals make a trade for a center? It took Palmer swearing to never playing in Cincinnati again and a desperate Oakland to get a trade. Maybe they'll just put an ad on craigslist for experienced NFL starting center and hit pay dirt ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 11:48 AM)Synric Wrote: Right now I'd trade the Browns Chris Carter, Chris Lewis-Harris, a 5th rounder, and to top it off Giovanni Bernard for Alex Mack.

Thank god you don't run a football team.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 12:09 PM)grampahol Wrote: The Bengals make a trade for a center?  It took Palmer swearing to never playing in Cincinnati again and a desperate Oakland to get a trade. Maybe they'll just put an ad on craigslist for experienced NFL starting center and hit pay dirt ..

Seems like people are forgetting that along with a quality / Vet Center's superior abilities, comes their paycheck.  Katie already asked daddy for help paying her car insurance premium last month.  She knows better. 
Reply/Quote
So here we go. Intelligence time.

Last year our PFF offensive line ranking.

7. Cincinnati Bengals (2nd)

Pass Blocking Ranking: 6th, Run Blocking Ranking: 6th, Penalties Ranking: 6th

Stud: How good was Andrew Whitworth (+36.8) this year? His nine total quarterback disruptions allowed are less than some allowed in a single game. A truly fantastic player who has never got the credit he deserves.

Dud: The biggest issue they had came at right tackle where it did not go well when Marshall Newhouse (-11.6) started.

Breakdown: A drop down the rankings as they bedded in a new center and had to cope with Andre Smith missing so much time. The encouraging thing is Russell Bodine has been better and the pickup of Eric Winston has proven to be a success. A remarkably consistent line that is always lurking in the Top 10.

Didnt this guy play his rookie year on this same offensive line ? you guys expect way to much from a guy on a top 10 offensive line. The line will only be better with healthy smith and receiving/running core in place.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 12:05 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: Nothing. Just wait til the draft.

And maybe be ready to reach. 

There are a couple of good centers coming up (Max Turek at USC and Dan Voltz at Wisconsin) that should be available at the end of the first or the top of the 2nd.

I like the guy out of USC (Max Tuerk): tall (6'6") - but gets good leverage, long arms, smart, a little light (285) but gets out on the 2nd level.

Take him in the first and solidify your line.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 01:19 PM)Okeana Wrote: Thank god you don't run a football team.

Honestly Id consider Gio straight up for Mack if it wasn't an AFC North team
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 02:35 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Honestly Id consider Gio straight up for Mack if it wasn't an AFC North team

Honestly, I think we're probably considering something like that (or we should be).  

Hill's emergence has made Gio expendable.  Sure, we like what he does out of the backfield, but I think his returning punts was a sign that we don't really need him in the backfield (I know you can do both, but he wasn't doing them last year, plus this staff's theory that playing offense or defense generally means you don't return punts).

The AFCN team doesn't bother me because it's the Browns and not like Gio would turn them into a Super Bowl contender.
Reply/Quote
We have a great line overall, but poor center play can still lead to quick pressure up the middle, which is the worst kind of pressure IMO.

I wouldn't be mad at all if they spent a late 1st rounder on a great Center. It really depends on what the Center class looks like though. It's possible they could find a stud in the 2nd round. Anything after that is usually pretty weak.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2015, 03:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We have a great line overall, but poor center play can still lead to quick pressure up the middle, which is the worst kind of pressure IMO.

I wouldn't be mad at all if they spent a late 1st rounder on a great Center. It really depends on what the Center class looks like though. It's possible they could find a stud in the 2nd round. Anything after that is usually pretty weak.

There's a few very intriguing prospects this year. One to keep an eye on is Temple C Kyle Friend.
Also liked what I saw from ND's Nick Martin.
Reply/Quote
We already have a good, young center so I wouldn't give up much unless it was for a all-pro caliber player.
Reply/Quote