Player(s) {Who?}
Draft Picks {What Round(s)}
Other (List)
Pray Someone Good Gets Cut
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Would You Trade For O-Linemen?
(08-07-2021, 02:23 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I went with player, but no one on the Bengals would bring a big time lineman. They would need a backup QB who would be a hot commodity.

The issue w the Bengals line is that they refused/misjudged investing in proven veteran talent. They have no Bobby Williams or Clint Boling. They have no Anthony Collins or Evan Mathis... Hell, not even a Nate Livings.

BTW, XSF is considered a draft bust. So, for him to be the Bengals starter... if he beats out Jackson... is BRUTAL. The issue was never Sewell vs Chase.... It was Zeitler, XSF, Carman vs XSF, Carman, Price. And, with $20,000 still to spend, it is INSANITY that they didn't pay Zeitler... INSANITY.

Come on dude, Carman, XSF or Spain are all better than Nate Livings...

And my name is Nate. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 02:58 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I can't imagine any team at this point in the season trading a starting caliber O-line player.   O-line is such an important position for all teams.  You don't often hear that a team has a lot of quality competition going on for the starting positions on the O-line and they have too much depth at the position.  So it makes me wonder what team would have someone they were even willing to trade at this point and why.  

That kind of leaves a starting caliber player demanding a trade or a team trying to trade maybe an older player that they found a better replacement for from the draft or free agency.    But I don't think there are going to be any trade talks of any time soon.  Maybe once the season is a few weeks in. So I guess it would depend on the player.

Say a star guard demands a trade, a young healthy pro-bowl player then sure offer a 2022 first round pick and a 2nd.  Well maybe.  Do you really want a player that is demanding trades?  Will that person be unhappy here?

The formula is so complicated really that it is hard to vote on what should be given as part of a trade.  It depends too much on who, what teams are involved, and why.   That said...  If a great opportunity comes up and Tyler Boyd was part of a deal I think it should be seriously considered.  He has been a key part of the team on offense especially when AJ had his problems.   But now the Bengals have Higgins and supposedly the best WR from the 2021 draft in Chase.  So if it meant the Bengals could dramatically improve the O-line and Boyd got traded I would have absolutely no problem with that.   But I think player for player trades are rare so I don't see that happening either.

Last.  And this will be a very unpopular opinion.  Mixon should not be off the table either if we are talking about trades that may drastically improve the O-line should they come up.  And and even more unpopular opinion...  I say this because if the O-line does not get their shit together this season Mixon might start demanding a trade.

I like the unpopular opinion more than the other one myself. Keep Boyd.

Mixon is very good but RB but it doesn't matter if the OL sucks, he isn't Barry Sanders. Boyd on the other hand is our best WR 
right now and I don't like the depth behind him enough to consider that trade. Boyd might be the best Slot WR in the NFL.

He is clutch and extremely valuable with all the traits you want and he is a leader for this team.

Love Mixon but he needs to stay healthy and finish long runs and put it into the endzone. This is my only problem with Mixon
along with the fact he hasn't been used right. You have to use Mixon in the passing game and even put him our there as a WR.

(08-07-2021, 03:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Carman could be exactly who Bobbie Williams was. Both taken in the second round, both played OT in college but were drafted for RG. Hopefully Carman can pick up the transition quicker; as Bobbie was inactive his entire rookie year. 

Carman reminds me of Bobbie honestly. BTW didn't we pick up Bobbie as a Free Agent?
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 03:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Carman reminds me of Bobbie honestly. BTW didn't we pick up Bobbie as a Free Agent?

Yes, he was a "draft bust" much like XSF
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 03:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes, he was a "draft bust" much like XSF

Some bust he turned out to be. One of my fave Bengals ever...
Reply/Quote
We needed two starters, we got one. I spelled out that we cant rule out trading a draft pick and we're here. We have to be above everything working perfectly as a plan.

The FO believes they have enough at guard, they're lying to themselves if they think they have T depth or a plan around an injury prone center.

For this reason, regardless of playing down Burrow's rust, they are being negligent without doing something at one of these two spots.

The FO won't trade high picks, but should consider a 5th or 6th to a team waiting to make sure a youngster to work out before they risk sneaking a vet onto the PS. I'm fine with tackle or center, but something must be done.
Reply/Quote
Simple...trade me to the other team and I'll go on their website pretending to be their biggest fan ever, say nice things about them even if they stink until the season starts! I don't enjoy lying, but i can do it when i have to.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 03:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like the unpopular opinion more than the other one myself. Keep Boyd.

Mixon is very good but RB but it doesn't matter if the OL sucks, he isn't Barry Sanders. Boyd on the other hand is our best WR 
right now
and I don't like the depth behind him enough to consider that trade. Boyd might be the best Slot WR in the NFL.

He is clutch and extremely valuable with all the traits you want and he is a leader for this team.

Indeed Boyd is clutch but Higgins was a slightly better WR on the team last year stat wise.  Higgins (908 Yards, 6 TDs,  13.6 yards per reception catch percent 62%) Boyd (841 yards, 4 TDs, 10.6 Yards per reception, catch percent 71.8%).   Boyd in the slot I totally agree with as well as his leadership.  I think he is great .  Especially the 2017 game where he caught that pass and knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs and put the Bills in.  It was awesome.

But we are talking about hypothetical situations here and trades.  If a team offered say a top 30 in the NFL guard for Boyd wouldn't you take it?  That would never happen but we are just talking about what ifs here.  Having a top guard locked down for the next few years (and if Carman works out) would put them in position to be able to draft and sign through free agency other points of need as well as a new slot receiver. 

This isn't going to be the Bengals break out year IMO. So if a deal was made that made the O-line better for years at the expense of Boyd I'd take it. Then again I don't own or manage an NFL team. :)

Oh and I agree Mixon isn't off the trading block if it were me. Seems the RB position loses value each year. And if he doesn't get better run blocking this year I am willing to bet he will be asking for a trade.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Almost anyone. This team was at its best when the offensive line was prioritized. Drafting chase was about as immature as it gets
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 03:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Some bust he turned out to be. One of my fave Bengals ever...

And that sums up bengaldom to a t
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 03:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Carman could be exactly who Bobbie Williams was. Both taken in the second round, both played OT in college but were drafted for RG. Hopefully Carman can pick up the transition quicker; as Bobbie was inactive his entire rookie year. 

100%! I liked the Carman pick, but feel like the lone needed veteran backups as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 12:37 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... Start dialing that Detroit area code.

Can't imagine they'd make the swap being suggested, early reports from their camp are that Sewell is meeting or exceeding expecations and transitioning quickly to RT. The guy is going to be a stud Tackle for years, no one gives that up for a WR.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Come on dude, Carman, XSF or Spain are all better than Nate Livings...

And my name is Nate. Mellow

Well, yes, they are, but are Price, D'ante Smith/Trey Hill (at this moment), etc... as backups?

I am talking strictly Oline depth. The Bengals have next to nothing of value in that department. It's all young guys with "potential". I don't love that.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 05:37 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Can't imagine they'd make the swap being suggested, early reports from their camp are that Sewell is meeting or exceeding expecations and transitioning quickly to RT. The guy is going to be a stud Tackle for years, no one gives that up for a WR.

I was being sarcastic. Hope he's great for them, but I don't trust Oregon linemen. He's looking great in practice. I'm not on a ledge about news leaking from our practices either. We're a month away from any meaningful news or games.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Sad 
To obtain a big name offensive lineman the Bengals are going to have to put a big name on the trade block; I don’t even think offering early draft picks would entice a team to engage in a trade with the Bengals.

My suggestion is Joe Mixon. He would be very attractive trade bait for any team with a proficient offensive line who needs a good running back. With a better offensive line I would be content to roll with Samaje Perrine, Trayveon Martin, Chris Evans, and Pooka Williams.

PDub80 is right: Offensive line depth is a priceless asset.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 04:41 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Almost anyone. This team was at its best when the offensive line was prioritized. Drafting chase was about as immature as it gets

Analytics tell us an elite WR is worth more than a single elite OT. Just look up the WAR for the top guys at each position. There was nothing “immature” about it.

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 10:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Analytics tell us an elite WR is worth more than a single elite OT. Just look up the WAR for the top guys at each position. There was nothing “immature” about it.

This is 100% correct. PFF guys were on local Cincy radio discussing that the difference in impact between an avg OT or OG and an elite one were small vs the difference between an avg WR and an elite one.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 10:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: This is 100% correct. PFF guys were on local Cincy radio discussing that the difference in impact between an avg OT or OG and an elite one were small vs the difference between an avg WR and an elite one.

PFF guys were also on the internet saying shit like "Tyreek Hill might be the best deep threat in NFL history."

Soooo.... yeah. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 10:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: PFF guys were also on the internet saying shit like "Tyreek Hill might be the best deep threat in NFL history."

Soooo.... yeah. Lol

Analytically, they might be right when it'sall said and done... but Mahomes helps with that a tremendous amount as well. There's yins and yangs to all of this. To quote Obi Wan... "From a certain point of view".

To quote Yoda, I'll end with... "Randy Moss, Tyreek Hill is not."
Reply/Quote
I can only imagine the scene of carnage on this board if Boyd (a WR) is traded for an OL when there were so many available to take in the draft and in FA.

I think at this point you just have to hope someone decent is cut. Paying starter money AND giving up players/draft picks is just a rough ask after they just passed up the opportunity to get more for less.

I also think there's probably not a ton of quality players getting traded right now. Everyone has probably more or less settled the top of their rosters.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Whatever happened with Larry Warford? Is he pretty much just retired at this point?

Reply/Quote