Player(s) {Who?}
Draft Picks {What Round(s)}
Other (List)
Pray Someone Good Gets Cut
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Would You Trade For O-Linemen?
(08-07-2021, 02:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am going with pray for someone good to get cut. I want to keep my Draft picks and our valuable players.

A good depth piece or even step in starter could be had after cuts.

That's what I'm praying for.  There's always surprise cuts and what could be more enticing than blocking for Mixon and Burrow, even if Cincy's not the most attractive destination?

I pray that Taylor is in the front office demanding that we go after linemen, especially after last cuts, and try to get to players first, rather than just waiting for the cuts that no one wanted, like Mike Brown always used to (with some exceptions), or he'd just make a splash signing, while ignoring actual team needs and hoping the fans were just so in love with the big signing that we overlook that we ignored the rest of the needs.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 11:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Our RT may be our best olineman. It seems we are worried about C. Given who we've brought in recently. 

Good point, but I look at Reiff as the logical answer to move to LT if Jonah were injured since that is where he has played most of his career.  Then, I have Fred and lastly (right now), D'Ante Smith....and there is apparently a big drop off from Fred (who is also injured) to Smith.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 10:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point, but I look at Reiff as the logical answer to move to LT if Jonah were injured since that is where he has played most of his career.  Then, I have Fred and lastly (right now), D'Ante Smith....and there is apparently a big drop off from Fred (who is also injured) to Smith.  

D'Ante Smith is having a solid camp so far... He had a rough first day against Hubbard but rebounded the next enough to get looks at Left Guard yesterday.

I still think he's a year out from contributing at any decent level but its a good sign that they like what they see and are giving him opportunities. Can't wait to see what he does in the pre-season. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
A typical Bengals front office will be to pick someone up off the waiver wire who couldn't cut it on another team.

I wouldn't expect much more than that from the front office.

Reply/Quote
What we would be willing to trade would completely depend on who we were trading for.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 10:34 AM)Synric Wrote: D'Ante Smith is having a solid camp so far... He had a rough first day against Hubbard but rebounded the next enough to get looks at Left Guard yesterday.

I still think he's a year out from contributing at any decent level but its a good sign that they like what they see and are giving him opportunities. Can't wait to see what he does in the pre-season. 

While I certainly appreciate the optimism, I would think he would be staying at tackle given their lack of depth at that position if he was doing well.  They used a 4th round pick on him, so clearly they feel like he can contribute long-term.  You are absolutely correct, though, that he probably can't be relied upon to help this year, given his work needed to get to NFL level strength.  
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2021, 04:21 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Indeed Boyd is clutch but Higgins was a slightly better WR on the team last year stat wise.  Higgins (908 Yards, 6 TDs,  13.6 yards per reception catch percent 62%) Boyd (841 yards, 4 TDs, 10.6 Yards per reception, catch percent 71.8%).   Boyd in the slot I totally agree with as well as his leadership.  I think he is great .  Especially the 2017 game where he caught that pass and knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs and put the Bills in.  It was awesome.

But we are talking about hypothetical situations here and trades.  If a team offered say a top 30 in the NFL guard for Boyd wouldn't you take it?  That would never happen but we are just talking about what ifs here.  Having a top guard locked down for the next few years (and if Carman works out) would put them in position to be able to draft and sign through free agency other points of need as well as a new slot receiver. 

This isn't going to be the Bengals break out year IMO.  So if a deal was made that made the O-line better for years at the expense of Boyd I'd take it.  Then again I don't own or manage an NFL team.    :)

Oh and I agree Mixon isn't off the trading block if it were me.  Seems the RB position loses value each year. And if he doesn't get better run blocking this year I am willing to bet he will be asking for a trade.

Yeah, Tee had a great rookie season, no doubt. I still say Boyd is our most dependable Receiver and he is a leader.

I wouldn't trade Boyd as I think he is essential in us having a breakout year. Love Mixon but I think he would be our best 
trade option as we can find decent RB's that could run behind a good OL. Still thinking grabbing a good OL after cuts is our
best option even if some want us to get their preferential dude and trade picks and players to get him.

(08-07-2021, 04:59 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: And that sums up bengaldom to a t

What? Turning a bust into a great Guard. I will take that.

(08-07-2021, 05:40 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Well, yes, they are, but are Price, D'ante Smith/Trey Hill (at this moment), etc... as backups?

I am talking strictly Oline depth. The Bengals have next to nothing of value in that department. It's all young guys with "potential". I don't love that.

Price blows. I like D'Ante and Trey Hill though a lot. Need to add another vet OL after cuts though for damn sure.

I also don't love our depth, I don't think anyone does.

(08-07-2021, 10:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Whatever happened with Larry Warford? Is he pretty much just retired at this point?

Good question.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 12:05 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: That's what I'm praying for.  There's always surprise cuts and what could be more enticing than blocking for Mixon and Burrow, even if Cincy's not the most attractive destination?

I pray that Taylor is in the front office demanding that we go after linemen, especially after last cuts, and try to get to players first, rather than just waiting for the cuts that no one wanted, like Mike Brown always used to (with some exceptions), or he'd just make a splash signing, while ignoring actual team needs and hoping the fans were just so in love with the big signing that we overlook that we ignored the rest of the needs.

Yeah, we need to be extremely aggressive and get the best OL out there after cuts. No ho hum BS.
Reply/Quote
The current backup crew is Johnson, Smith, Price, Hill, either XSF or Carman (I expect XSF), Vogel, Prince and Galliard. So we have 13 OL currently. You figure we keep 10. So 3 cuts / practice squad right now. Add a vet and it's 4. Which 4? And if the plan is practice squad we need to be careful our people make it through waivers to the PS.

I'm not saying don't sign a vet - I'm saying you need to have a plan for if and when you do.
Reply/Quote
I would go back to May and "trade the thought of drafting Chase" with drafting O-linemen and fixing the biggest problem area with this team.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 03:57 PM)Joelist Wrote: The current backup crew is Johnson, Smith, Price, Hill, either XSF or Carman (I expect XSF), Vogel, Prince and Galliard. So we have 13 OL currently. You figure we keep 10. So 3 cuts / practice squad right now. Add a vet and it's 4. Which 4? And if the plan is practice squad we need to be careful our people make it through waivers to the PS.

I'm not saying don't sign a vet - I'm saying you need to have a plan for if and when you do.

You forgot Sutherland.
Reply/Quote
https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2942630-how-the-bengals-failed-joe-burrow-for-second-straight-offseason.amp.html

https://youtu.be/VkKxmnrRVHo
Reply/Quote
A Klondike Bar.

...and this entire coaching staff and front office other than Frank Pollack.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 06:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A Klondike Bar.

...and this entire coaching staff and front office other than Frank Pollack.

Hobby, Golden, Simmons are also good coaches.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 04:29 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I would go back to May and "trade the thought of drafting Chase" with drafting O-linemen and fixing the biggest problem area with this team.

I remember reading around these parts how deep the OL class was, and how the OL wasn't as bad as the WR corp and how drafting the WR would fix the OL issues.....

Can't understand why this thread would pop up after all that talk from above, since Chase was the pick and should have fixed everything....  Whatever

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 01:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I remember reading around these parts how deep the OL class was, and how the OL wasn't as bad as the WR corp and how drafting the WR would fix the OL issues.....

Can't understand why this thread would pop up after all that talk from above, since Chase was the pick and should have fixed everything....  Whatever

And a mid round pick on an OL in that class is impressing in camp... Mellow
Reply/Quote
I went with pray someone gets cut. Mostly because we don't have ton of depth at many positions and can't afford to give up draft picks or players. IMO, we need to keep who we have, hope someone gets cut that is an improvement over other players we have on the OL and continue to develop thru the draft with some FA signings mixed in.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 01:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And a mid round pick on an OL in that class is impressing in camp... Mellow

Where have I heard that story before.....

oh yeah.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/8/13/20803416/bengals-news-michael-jordan-ohio-state-buckeyes-football-nfl

How'd that "impressing" story end?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 01:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I remember reading around these parts how deep the OL class was, and how the OL wasn't as bad as the WR corp and how drafting the WR would fix the OL issues.....

NO ONE SINGLE DRAFT PICK WOULD HAVE FIXED EVERYTHING. Not even the greatest OT to ever live Penei Sewell.

Just stop.

Honestly, there’s like 3-4 of you that are making this place straight up unbearable anymore. WE GET IT!

Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 03:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: NO ONE SINGLE DRAFT PICK WOULD HAVE FIXED EVERYTHING. Not even the greatest OT to ever live Penei Sewell.

Just stop.

Honestly, there’s like 3-4 of you that are making this place straight up unbearable anymore. WE GET IT!

Our franchise qb goes down with a horrific knee injury cuz the front office refuses to invest in the offensive line like it should fast forward to the draft and one of the beat offensive line prospects of the decade is sitting there and the bengals like children draft chase. Yet u want to say one offensive lineman wouldn’t have fixed everything lol then why is everyone bidding for the bengals to go out and trade for one offensive lineman as if that’s the answer lol. Should’ve just drafted the fricken offensive lineman that was sitting there for the taking instead of now wanting the bengals to trade for an offensive lineman cuz the depth there is horrible. Detroit now has two of our offensive lineman.
Reply/Quote