Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Would be Really Nice to See
I'd love to see the Bengals trade up to take their guy with their 2nd pick. I'm not saying this has to happen. It takes two to tango, and maybe a trade partner within the few spots above them isn't there. I'm only saying that it would be be nice to see.

This would show me that 1.) They have a clear target and a plan. 2.) They're bold enough and proactive enough to make sure that plan is realized.

This would be something we haven't seen a ton of from them. Trade up and get your guy. I don't think the compensation needed would be that hard to swallow. Don't leave it to doubt. Don't hope you guy falls to you. Don't put yourself in a situation where you might have to settle on someone else because your guy went right in front of you.

I certainly won't knock them if this doesn't happen. But a move like this would be a breath of fresh air.
Reply/Quote
What would be nice to see already happened. We got a great prospect at WR and there are plenty of good OL men available for us at 38. Don’t know if we went Sewell at 5 that getting a impact WR that could stretch the field would have been there at 38.
Reply/Quote
Two things we can't do yet:

1. declare Burrow a goner because we didn't take Sewell
2. declare Burrow safe and secure because we are totally gonna get a bunch of slam-dunk o-line guys in round 2 onward

I think we can do it, but we ain't done it yet. Also, if we are so sure o-lines are ultra important and the draft is still full of franchise-saving guys then I'd wager other teams feel the same way. Fingers crossed, and all that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 01:29 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'd love to see the Bengals trade up to take their guy with their 2nd pick.  I'm not saying this has to happen.  It takes two to tango, and maybe a trade partner within the few spots above them isn't there.  I'm only saying that it would be be nice to see.

This would show me that 1.) They have a clear target and a plan.  2.)  They're bold enough and proactive enough to make sure that plan is realized.

This would be something we haven't seen a ton of from them.  Trade up and get your guy.  I don't think the compensation needed would be that hard to swallow.  Don't leave it to doubt.  Don't hope you guy falls to you.  Don't put yourself in a situation where you might have to settle on someone else because your guy went right in front of you.

I certainly won't knock them if this doesn't happen.  But a move like this would be a breath of fresh air.

The last 2 times the Bengals traded up we got Drew Sample and Ryan Finley. You sure you want this?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 01:42 PM)Beaker Wrote: The last 2 times the Bengals traded up we got Drew Sample and Ryan Finley. You sure you want this?

It showed the Bengals had a plan and were aggressive.  Just the wrong plan and wrong time to be aggressive.   Nervous
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 01:42 PM)Beaker Wrote: The last 2 times the Bengals traded up we got Drew Sample and Ryan Finley. You sure you want this?

Well now I'm not. LOL.
Reply/Quote

I thought Sample was a trade back, not up. From what I remember, they were hoping someone like Taylor, Risner, or Little dropped to them, but they didn't, so the Bengals traded back and got Sample later in the 2nd.

EDIT - Yes, that is what happened. They were picking at 42 but missed out on their target, so they traded back to 52 and took Sample.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 01:29 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'd love to see the Bengals trade up to take their guy with their 2nd pick.  I'm not saying this has to happen.  It takes two to tango, and maybe a trade partner within the few spots above them isn't there.  I'm only saying that it would be be nice to see.

This would show me that 1.) They have a clear target and a plan.  2.)  They're bold enough and proactive enough to make sure that plan is realized.

This would be something we haven't seen a ton of from them.  Trade up and get your guy.  I don't think the compensation needed would be that hard to swallow.  Don't leave it to doubt.  Don't hope you guy falls to you.  Don't put yourself in a situation where you might have to settle on someone else because your guy went right in front of you.

I certainly won't knock them if this doesn't happen.  But a move like this would be a breath of fresh air.

while its nice to see aggressiveness im think we need the picks to shore up depth

We had a plan when we traded up to get finley too...

If the OL isnt there @ 38 move back a few and pick up an extra pick
Reply/Quote

We also traded up to get Bodine
Reply/Quote
I am never a big fan of trading up. The draft is more of a crap shoot than most people want to admit. I th8ink the more picks you have the better chance you haver of landing a good player.

Also, from what I have heard there is not just one good O-lineman still on the board. Since we pick 6th I don't think there will be a lot of difference in the player we get at #38 and a guy a few slots earlier.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have picks than trading up a couple spots.

Generally, the further you get from the top 15ish picks, the harder it is to find immediate starters.* We need at least a starting tackle and a starting guard. The odds of getting at least one of those goes up the more picks you spend on it. I wouldn't have any issue using three or four of the remaining picks on ol.

* I said generally, I'm aware Tom Brady was picked outside the first round.
Reply/Quote
I agree - there are enough good OL prospects left so that one will be there when the Bengals pick. And that list of the players they have traded up for is pathetic.

However, don’t rag on them trading up for Finley - he’s the last Bengals QB to lead them to a win vs the Steelers (he torched them for 89 yards through the air in case you don’t remember)
Reply/Quote
Fwiw, here is the trade value for each pick in case anyone is curious:

33 - 580
34 - 560
35 - 550
36 - 540
37 - 530
38 - 520

You can use this chart to see what it to get a rough idea of what it would take to move up (Just take the difference between our 520 and the pick we'd move up to and look at what it would take to make up the difference.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Here's just a random example of a trade: We trade pick 38 to the Falcons for pick 35. We include out 5th round pick this year, and our extra 6th. (You could also move one of these picks to next year)

The reason I started thinking about this is when I looked at the two teams directly in front of us, the Dolphins and Eagles and their needs. Both of them are as desperate for OL help as we are. I just think it's so important that we nail this pick that I would hate to see us have to settle on a player we had rated lower. If it means parting with a lower pick to get our guy then I'm all for it.

Note: I know breaking it down like this isn't as simple as it seems but I'm just posting it for conversation.
Reply/Quote
With the multitude of quality linemen left and our spot picking, I don't really see how trading up is advantageous.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 02:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: With the multitude of quality linemen left and our spot picking, I don't really see how trading up is advantageous.

So you have all of the remaining OL rated equally?
Reply/Quote

I rarely disagree with you Wes, I do here. We need all the picks we can get and it is hard to pick from all these OL that will be 
available. If Pollack really likes say, Creed Humphrey or Teven Jenkins I wouldn't be against it but these guys could fall to us.

I would take it more as a sign of desperation if we traded up myself. Shit there are like 12 OL that I would take at 38...

Why trade up and lose a pick that could get you one of the other ones?
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 02:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: With the multitude of quality linemen left and our spot picking, I don't really see how trading up is advantageous.

Would be advantageous if, for example, you have Jenkins ranked significantly higher than Cosmi and Eichenberg.  Then it might be worth giving up a sixth to get him.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I rarely disagree with you Wes, I do here. We need all the picks we can get and it is hard to pick from all these OL that will be 
available. If Pollack really likes say, Creed Humphrey or Teven Jenkins I wouldn't be against it but these guys could fall to us.

I would take it more as a sign of desperation if we traded up myself. Shit there are like 12 OL that I would take at 38...

Why trade up and lose a pick that could get you one of the other ones?

An example of why you might would be, and I'm just throwing out two names:  Landon Dickerson and Trevor Jenkins.  They're top 20 on a lot of boards, and if the Bengals have them rated similarly then I think a case can easily be made that it's worth it.

If they could move up and take a guy they had to be long gone, who they have over 10 spots higher then the next guy, then I don't think sending a 5th and 6th (pick whatever combination that nets you between 40-60) is a bad move at all.

We HAVE to get a guy here with this spot who can be a real building block for this OL.  I just hope our first choice falls to us if we stand pat. It would suck if we have to settle on someone who we rate lower.
Reply/Quote
I agree, but feel Tobin typically sits on his spot, especially with so many lineman falling into round 2.

Like you said, it would be a breath of fresh air to see them actively working on fixing the line. ZT definitely said it was a priority in the post Chase conference and hopefully that translates into action today.
Reply/Quote

Id like to see them stay where they are at 38 and then trade up in round three possibly for another round 2 offensive lineman that is day one starter..

In a perfect world...
Reply/Quote