Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What about Rex?
(03-11-2017, 03:39 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Exactly.  I was somewhat relieved when I saw Brandin Cooks traded to the Pats...no way do I want them to get Sexy.  He would probably have 60 receptions for them and take the pressure off Edelman.  

Drives me nuts that we have the RB that had the fastest short shuttle at the entire combine in his draft class and we can't see what a weapon he could be out of the backfield.  

We saw a few glimpses of what Rex could do and he looked damn good when given the opportunity... Too bad Marvin was too stubborn/moronic to give him a few more touches each game. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 09:32 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: We saw a few glimpses of what Rex could do and he looked damn good when given the opportunity... Too bad Marvin was too stubborn/moronic to give him a few more touches each game. 

I believe that in Marvin's case, the appropriate term would be myopic.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'll take Burkhead over Hill at this point. Probably need them both though unless they draft another RB. I doubt Gio will be ready to go by Week 1
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 09:32 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: We saw a few glimpses of what Rex could do and he looked damn good when given the opportunity... Too bad Marvin was too stubborn/moronic to give him a few more touches each game. 

And he did it behind the same line the other RBs had. I met him last spring at my favorite golf course and found him to be articulate, composed, and generous with his time. He just struck me as the kind of guy you'd want on your team, especially in view of the effort he puts out on the field. Decisive and determined. What could be better?
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 11:24 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: And he did it behind the same line the other RBs had. I met him last spring at my favorite golf course and found him to be articulate, composed, and generous with his time. He just struck me as the kind of guy you'd want on your team, especially in view of the effort he puts out on the field. Decisive and determined. What could be better?

I bet that was awesome. I've met a few players in my time and many are pretty cool and down to earth.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:24 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I bet that was awesome. I've met a few players in my time and many are pretty cool and down to earth.

The golf course I work part time at (as a starter/ranger) is frequented by several Bengal players, a couple of former players (Ira Hillary and Joe Walter), and the Bengals cheerleaders - mostly from annual charitable outings. Every one of them have been a pleasure to meet and BS with, without exception. The experience has been everything I could hope for in that capacity.

Reply/Quote
Rex Burkhead reminds me of Julian Edelman -- No, not because he's white! -- but because he runs amazing pass routes when he lines up as a slot receiver. I remember the AJ McCarron to Rex Burkhead touchdown pass against the Steelers and it reminded me of a Tom Brady to Edelman type scoring play.

Very few teams have such a versatile athlete on their roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:45 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Rex Burkhead reminds me of Julian Edelman -- No, not because he's white! -- but because he runs amazing pass routes when he lines up as a slot receiver.  I remember the AJ McCarron to Rex Burkhead touchdown pass against the Steelers and it reminded me of a Tom Brady to Edelman type scoring play.

I don't get the infatuation with Hill? I know many are not fans of the Burkhead is better than Hill argument, but I'm really believing he is in more ways than one. Coaches have horse blinders on when it comes to some of our players.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:45 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Rex Burkhead reminds me of Julian Edelman -- No, not because he's white! -- but because he runs amazing pass routes when he lines up as a slot receiver.  I remember the AJ McCarron to Rex Burkhead touchdown pass against the Steelers and it reminded me of a Tom Brady to Edelman type scoring play.

I see this too, and it kinda pains me to think our team just might let him go instead of incorporating his abilities more into the offense. Keeping Gio is a given (at least to me), but Hill has become more of a question. Of course, the poor Oline play of last year didn't help him, physically or mentally, but like I said earlier - Rex managed success behind the same line. Hill returning to his rookie year success is a 50/50 proposition imho. He's got to overcome that hesitancy that Rex doesn't have, and the past two years doesn't inspire me to believe that he will.

I believe Rex believes he can be a starter, and perform well for the entire season. If he finds another team who shares that belief, then he's gone. I'll hate it for selfish reasons, but will cheer him on if it turns out that way.

Reply/Quote

I still have hope that they will get him. They will probably PUP Gio & Hill isn't the answer. Even after they draft an RB, they could still really use Rex. At this point I think Hill is just here as a safety blanket since he's under contract. Pretty sure that the FO knows that Hill isn't the right guy for this job.

That said, I wish he was used in that role more often as well.
Reply/Quote

Racist bastard!
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 01:01 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don't get the infatuation with Hill? I know many are not fans of the Burkhead is better than Hill argument, but I'm really believing he is in more ways than one. Coaches have horse blinders on when it comes to some of our players.

For every George Iloka, there are about two or three Rey Maualugas, Brandon Thompsons, Margus Hunts, and, in this case, Jeremy Hills where they wait and wait for the proverbial light to go on and it never does.  
Reply/Quote

Marvin gave him chances for three years and he did nothing.

I like the eway he looked at the end of last season, but he was not the world beater that some people here seem to think.

I am not bashing BUrkehead and would not complain if we re-signed him, but every team in the league has watched the same film that the Rex heads around here have and none of them are rushing to sign him.  he shows some potential, but teams will want to draft a rookie with potential and pay him a few hundred thousand instead of signing Rex for a couple of million.
Reply/Quote

When he was a rookie, he had the same opportunity as Gio.. problem is Gio took control and put him as a backup...then Hill comes in as a power back has a very solid rookie year,now he is 3rd string and that is where he stayed... yes he had nice movements this year and would not mind signing him but he still is not our starting RB and has not proven he can carry the load ... depending on what Rex is asking for or the market will bear.... if needed  this is a very deep RB draft so  I think if price is too high we  save money and draft a RB comparable to Rex probably in 3-5 round.

With no movement the first week of FA on him.. most other teams see him as a backup also. 
Reply/Quote
First I want Rex back.

Second I'm guessing Hill has a big year since its a contract year, and will once again get us at least 10TDs.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 10:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin gave him chances for three years and he did nothing.

He did?  At RB for an entire game? If he got near the chances Gio and Hill did while not executing, I think you would feel differently.  And that one playoff game where he started at WR, I believe he was the top receiver that day?  

I have not seen the chances you speak of until late last year.  And in that moment, he showed behind the same horrible offensive line that he could excel.  He also is a far better receiving threat than Hill and also is very effective on special teams.  

No one has called him a world beater, but he is worth far more than your dismissive argument.  
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 10:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin gave him chances for three years and he did nothing.

I like the eway he looked at the end of last season, but he was not the world beater that some people here seem to think.

[Image: 1l9d6u.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 10:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He did?  At RB for an entire game? If he got near the chances Gio and Hill did while not executing, I think you would feel differently.  And that one playoff game where he started at WR, I believe he was the top receiver that day?  

Here is the problem.  You base your opinion on "beliefs" instead of facts.

Rex got as many chances as any third string RB would get.  I don't know a single team in the league that says "Hey, lets bench our top 2 RBs for a full ganme just to see what the third string guy can do."
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 11:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the problem.  You base your opinion on "beliefs" instead of facts.

Rex got as many chances as any third string RB would get.  I don't know a single team in the league that says "Hey, lets bench our top 2 RBs for a full ganme just to see what the third string guy can do."

As far as receiver goes, he was 3 receptions for 34 yards and one rush for 23 yards, giving him more yards on offense than any other Bengal despite fewer opportunities again.

Sometimes fate has to intervene, like it did for a guy that was drafted later than Rex named Tom Brady.  

And your "facts" and nothing more than your beliefs also.  You have no idea what Rex can do with more snaps with an N=1 thus far.  Don't pretend that it is a fact that lesser talent never becomes top tier.  

Remember Priest Holmes?  He was an UDFA?  He went on to become one of the NFL's elite for a period of time.  That is a fact, not a belief.  

I just don't want to lose Sexy to another team that utilizes him more.  
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 10:42 AM)corpjet Wrote: First I want Rex back.

Second I'm guessing Hill has a big year since its a contract year, and will once again get us at least 10TDs.

Contract year or not, I think you're giving Hill too much credit. He's a scrub. I expect more 3 yards and a cloud of dust. The second half of 2014 can safely be chalked up as a fluke.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote