Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What about Rex?
It is unlikely he returns. The team liked him and coaches (of course) wanted him back but I think it's one of those situations, as many have thought, where he's looking for the best opportunity to play. The RB market is slow developing so perhaps a chance remains he comes back....
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 11:02 PM)jowczarski Wrote: It is unlikely he returns. The team liked him and coaches (of course) wanted him back but I think it's one of those situations, as many have thought, where he's looking for the best opportunity to play. The RB market is slow developing so perhaps a chance remains he comes back....

Appreciate your reply Jim, but most of us already know this. Just as we also expected to lose Whit and Z. Many of us have been in this game with the Bengals for 30-40 years. They already published the Hill puff piece about 6 weeks ago letting us know how FN great he is.

Oh, and of course they made sure to let us know that they are gonna beat that dead horse for every penny that they invested. Most members of the Brown family can hang a months worth of suits along the length of their noses.

"We sign our own" = the smell that I remember the last time I went shroom hunting.

Not going after you though man. Just venting. We appreciate you being here.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:59 PM)McC Wrote: Any rumors of suitors?  Are the Bengals even talking to him?  Anybody got anything?
Yes, Bengals do NOT look to resign him...SOURCE : BENGALS.COM......With Whitworth, Zeitler, Peko, and probably Hunt and Burkhead gone, Bengals say it frees up some cap money and why they are talking to Andre Smith to return at RT.  That would help. That way Ced, Fisher, Winston could try to fill LT with Whitworth gone. Also depth at RT.  That would leave the hole made by Zeitler gone, but I look for Bengals to draft one of the top 3 guards in the draft in an early round....Bengals also talking to LB- Keenan Robinson of the Giants. .....So don't expect Burkhead back now.  I can live with that.  Hill played through injuries and not much blocking but still had over 800 yards rushing and is still one of the best touchdown scoring RBs in the NFL.  We still have Gio. Bengals have said that if the LSU RB is there in round one, they will pick him. ...I say if he is gone, Bengals will take a guard in 1 or 2 and maybe a LB early also. There will still be good RB's on the board in 3 when Bengals have 2 picks. 

I would rather see Smith back than Burkhead. If we lose Whitworth but get Smith back, we can live with that, especially if they draft a guard early that makes fans say " Zeitler Who ??? "......Keeping Kirkpatrick, Lafell helped and if they get Andre Smith back even better. ...I think we can do better than Rex, I really do.  Rex had his years here, often injured, but he never set the NFL on fire. 

I still like Hill and is a beast when healthy. Hill and Gio injured in 2016 hurt. I think Gio goes down on tackles too easy, but Hill can man up and fight through them. He just isn't very good running wide. For power running he is a tough SOB.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:27 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Seriously? I'm afraid I disagree. I hope your right about him being a Bengal in 2017 but he is a beast with more heart than I've seen in stripes in a long time.

Look at the rest of the RB market. There are a ton of more established RBs still out there. It sucks for the guys that happened to become FAs in arguably the deepest RB draft class in years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 11:02 PM)jowczarski Wrote: It is unlikely he returns. The team liked him and coaches (of course) wanted him back but I think it's one of those situations, as many have thought, where he's looking for the best opportunity to play. The RB market is slow developing so perhaps a chance remains he comes back....

Nobody can blame him for wanting to be more than a third string RB.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 11:26 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Look at the rest of the RB market. There are a ton of more established RBs still out there. It sucks for the guys that happened to become FAs in arguably the deepest RB draft class in years.

Burkhead was like Eric Bienemy and maybe not as good. All this this talk about his special teams play. Peerman also. Look, these stiff on 3rd or 4th string better learn some special teams.  Still, they are expendable.  The end of the draft and non drafted is special teams time.  I thought Baby Hawk and a strange large following, but Burkhead had fans raving about him for years before he ever got his first carry.  Burkhead leaving is not like Corey Dillon leaving.  If some team offers him a big contract, let them have him. I can't see over paying him.  He can be replaced very easy. Peerman really needs gone to free up cap money and maybe he already is. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 11:40 AM)kevin Wrote: Burkhead was like Eric Bienemy and maybe not as good. All this this talk about his special teams play. Peerman also. Look, these stiff on 3rd or 4th string better learn some special teams.  Still, they are expendable.  The end of the draft and non drafted is special teams time.  I thought Baby Hawk and a strange large following, but Burkhead had fans raving about him for years before he ever got his first carry.  Burkhead leaving is not like Corey Dillon leaving.  If some team offers him a big contract, let them have him. I can't see over paying him.  He can be replaced very easy. Peerman really needs gone to free up cap money and maybe he already is. 

That's my point. There are more established RBs still out there that should get picked up before Burkhead. He's shown some good ability in very limited games, but he's been primarily ST. Those kinds of guys can be found in the 5th round and later, especially in this year's draft.

Let some other team take him. I want the Bengals to draft someone instead. Same with replacing Peerman.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 11:40 AM)kevin Wrote: Burkhead was like Eric Bienemy and maybe not as good. All this this talk about his special teams play. Peerman also. Look, these stiff on 3rd or 4th string better learn some special teams.  Still, they are expendable.  The end of the draft and non drafted is special teams time.  I thought Baby Hawk and a strange large following, but Burkhead had fans raving about him for years before he ever got his first carry.  Burkhead leaving is not like Corey Dillon leaving.  If some team offers him a big contract, let them have him. I can't see over paying him.  He can be replaced very easy. Peerman really needs gone to free up cap money and maybe he already is. 

People like him because he's a white RB. Ala Leonard, Brian.

Both solid players, but the love isn't proportionate to the level of play.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 12:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People like him because he's a white RB. Ala Leonard, Brian.

Both solid players, but the love isn't proportionate to the level of play.

Ala Jordan Shipley, Ala Matt Jones, Ala Erickson.

These guys are role players at best but I can remember people going on about if they had more playing time they would be next Welker.

Any white guy is the next Welker. LOL
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 12:56 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Ala Jordan Shipley, Ala Matt Jones, Ala Erickson.

These guys are role players at best but I can remember people going on about if they had more playing time they would be next Welker.

Any white guy is the next Welker. LOL

Lmao...yeah you could make a pretty long list of great white hopes we've had through the years. No shame in it. Not to get too political, but black people root for their own race and I don't think it's a problem for white people to do the same. You'd think we could find some better players to get behind though. Hilarious  
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 01:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lmao...yeah you could make a pretty long list of great white hopes we've had through the years. No shame in it. Not to get too political, but black people root for their own race and I don't think it's a problem for white people to do the same. You'd think we could find some better players to get behind though. Hilarious  

Like the QB & TE and most of the OL over the years?
Reply/Quote
I like Rex and hope they keep him, but the sample size of those last few games wasn't enough to justify some of the claims a few people have made this off season. Point of fact, Hill had played a full season pretty banged up and Rex came in with fresh legs. On the flip side the opposing teams had pretty much the same problem. They too were playing with guys who had put in a full season and were very likely also pretty worn down as well. 
Before Rex is handed the keys to ultra stardom he should have to put in a full season in the backfield as well and if he performs as advertised in the last few games throughout a full season it becomes a whole different story.
I hope they resign him and he's able to prove he's worthy of the big contact, but the sample size is just too small at this point in time. His skin color really shouldn't be part of the conversation, but certain people are going to force it in regardless. That's a zero sum game. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 01:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lmao...yeah you could make a pretty long list of great white hopes we've had through the years. No shame in it. Not to get too political, but black people root for their own race and I don't think it's a problem for white people to do the same. You'd think we could find some better players to get behind though. Hilarious  

I don't care if a player is black, white, or mauve with purple spots. If they can play, bring them to Cincinnati! While I believe God created one race -- human -- I can see justifiable pride within one's own ethnic group so long as it doesn't lead to racism or a false sense of supremacy. With that being said, would the impact have been as great in 1936 had Jesse Owens been white? No! It bothered Hitler immensely that a black man blew apart his delusion of Aryan supremacy. Look at all the talented Asian women on the LPGA Tour now; I'm happy their culture is now known for athleticism, not just for intellect!

Back to football: Our team is the legacy of Paul Brown who brought minorities into the game when doing so wasn't popular. Professional athletics is the great equalizer and to see a white running back succeed shouldn't be so unusual. After all, in the recent past, several were extremely successful like John Riggins, Larry Czonka, and Jim Kiick.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 02:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I don't care if a player is black, white, or mauve with purple spots.  If they can play, bring them to Cincinnati!  While I believe God created one race -- human -- I can see justifiable pride within one's own ethnic group so long as it doesn't lead to racism or a false sense of supremacy.  With that being said, would the impact have been as great in 1936 had Jesse Owens been white?  No!  It bothered Hitler immensely that a black man blew apart his delusion of Aryan supremacy.  Look at all the talented Asian women on the LPGA Tour now; I'm happy their culture is now known for athleticism, not just for intellect!  

Back to football:  Our team is the legacy of Paul Brown who brought minorities into the game when doing so wasn't popular.  Professional athletics is the great equalizer and to see a white running back succeed shouldn't be so unusual.  After all, in the recent past, several were extremely successful like John Riggins, Larry Czonka, and Jim Kiick.

I think we need to have a serious discussion about the definition of "recent past'.  Cool Tongue
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 02:14 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think we need to have a serious discussion about the definition of "recent past'.  Cool Tongue

Recent compared to say, oh, the days of Bronko Nagurski....
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 02:20 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Recent compared to say, oh, the days of Bronko Nagurski....

I mean, we might as well start trotting out the greatest football team of all time, right? The one who started it all. The Dayton Triangles!

You're welcome, USA!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 02:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I don't care if a player is black, white, or mauve with purple spots.  If they can play, bring them to Cincinnati!  While I believe God created one race -- human -- I can see justifiable pride within one's own ethnic group so long as it doesn't lead to racism or a false sense of supremacy.  With that being said, would the impact have been as great in 1936 had Jesse Owens been white?  No!  It bothered Hitler immensely that a black man blew apart his delusion of Aryan supremacy.  Look at all the talented Asian women on the LPGA Tour now; I'm happy their culture is now known for athleticism, not just for intellect!  

Back to football:  Our team is the legacy of Paul Brown who brought minorities into the game when doing so wasn't popular.  Professional athletics is the great equalizer and to see a white running back succeed shouldn't be so unusual.  After all, in the recent past, several were extremely successful like John Riggins, Larry Czonka, and Jim Kiick.

Agree with everything you say. I don't think rooting for white guys to succeed means you want black players to fail. I don't care one bit if the team is all black. I just want a winner. I'm just saying that - while I don't really do it myself - I can understand white folks wanting to see white players succeed for reasons that have nothing to do with racism.

As someone else said, you should be able to find more recent examples than Riggins, Czonka and Kiick though. LOL
Reply/Quote
I'm white. I like Burkhead. JN translation--I just like him cuz he's white. Truth is, I like him cuz he has good hands, quick feet, a big heart and is hard to tackle.

In the Peko thread, some people said he had lost it. JN translation--you are a horrible Peko hater. Denver signed him. That is absolute proof he hasn't lost it and you are stupid.

Burkhead is another overrated white guy. If the Pats or anybody else signs him, is that proof that maybe he's more than just white?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Meh, I don't care a lot about him leaving. It may sting a tad if he blows up and becomes super productive while our run game plods along with Hill and an awful run blocking line, but it's what it is.

If this team is serious about bringing change at the RB position, then it's probably wise to grab a couple in this draft. it's a good crop and they will likely be cheaper than what Burkead will get paid for having a few good games in free agency.

Do I think Rex is better that Jeremy Hill? Possibly. Maybe not from a raw skill standpoint, but production-wise, perhaps. Is rex better than Fournette, Cook, Mixon, McCaffrey, Foreman, and the other top-end backs in this draft? I somehow doubt it. I'd rather start fresh with one of those young players than dump money into Rex.

It's a more a matter of moving on from Jeremy Hill than committing to Rex IMO. I'm not sure this staff bumps Hill out of the top spot for Rex right out of the gate. A super talented early pick might make the decision to cut bait a bit easier, though.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 03:42 PM)McC Wrote: I'm white.  I like Burkhead.  JN translation--I just like him cuz he's white.  Truth is, I like him cuz he has good hands, quick feet, a big heart and is hard to tackle.

In the Peko thread, some people said he had lost it.  JN translation--you are a horrible Peko hater.  Denver signed him.  That is absolute proof he hasn't lost it and you are stupid.

Burkhead is another overrated white guy.  If the Pats or anybody else signs him, is that proof that maybe he's more than just white?

Easy McC, I wasn't saying that's the only reason people like him or that everyone who likes him, likes him for that reason.

But you have to admit, some people have been really big on him for a guy with 121 total touches in 4 seasons. I just think it's funny is all. No hard feelings about it.
Reply/Quote