Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What about Rex?
(03-12-2017, 11:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Right, sometimes fate has to intervene, like it did for a guy that was drafted later than Rex named Tom Brady.  

And your "facts" and nothing more than your beliefs also.  You have no idea what Rex can do with more snaps with an N=1 thus far.  Don't pretend that it is a fact that lesser talent never becomes top tier.  

Remember Priest Holmes?  He was an UDFA?  He went on to become one of the NFL's elite for a period of time.  That is a fact, not a belief.  

I just don't want to lose Sexy to another team that utilizes him more.  

Burkhead is the 2017 new/improved version of Brian Leonard, or so it seems. Die hard, no quit kind of guy. Always lurking to burn you and will plain burn you even when you know he's coming. Beautiful!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 11:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And your "facts" and nothing more than your beliefs also.  You have no idea what Rex can do with more snaps with an N=1 thus far.  Don't pretend that it is a fact that lesser talent never becomes top tier.  

Remember Priest Holmes?  He was an UDFA?  He went on to become one of the NFL's elite for a period of time.  That is a fact, not a belief.  

To be fair, UDFA does not necessarily mean lesser talent. Some players have the talent and are undiscovered for various reasons such as injury, or being buried on the depth chart in college, or being forced to play out of their natural position...or a new position entirely. And some players just bloom later. Plus talent evaluation often only takes into account the measurables in NFL scouting due to the volume of players the scouts must attempt to sift through. Heart, desire and drive can take a player with marginal measurables far beyond some athletes who are naturally more gifted but lack that heart and drive.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 06:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Do you really think he would help us?

I admittedly haven't seen a lot of his play, but what I have seen was not pretty.

I'd honestly rather roll the dice with the guys we have and hope to see improvement over a veteran who has underperformed during his time in the league.

Just my two cents, of course.

Looks like Fluker is a Giant anyways.

Andre fits, i am just a touch worried about wear and tear with him.

Getting a big run blocking Tackle and putting him at Guard seems the way to go to me.

Andre, Riley Reiff or Ryan Clady all seem to fit.

Would be nice to atleast have a look at Mangold as well.

Back to the OP, i sure hope we bring back Burkhead. Loved how this guy ran when given the chance.

More inpeptitude from Marv, sticking with Hill when he was sucking it up.

He sees these guys in practice, he should know Rex is a good RB.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 11:47 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Burkhead is the 2017 new/improved version of Brian Leonard, or so it seems. Die hard, no quit kind of guy. Always lurking to burn you and will plain burn you even when you know he's coming. Beautiful!

Eh, Leonard didn't have the cutback ability that Rex has. Nor the quicks and overall running ability.

The will power is very close though. I still remember the Steeler game where Leonard willed us to the win.

Leonard should always be honored with this.

Now we are just talking about white RB's lol

We are racist bastids lol

They are different RB's though, not many of them around. Woodhead and Toby Geirhart are a couple.

Don't know if Toby is even in the league anymore?
Reply/Quote
Do we have the money to sign Rex? The Bengals made some $27m disappear, so I'm sure re-signing Winston broke the bank. I honestly don't see why they should bother with Rex. I like the guy, but all indications are that they are going to draft another RB this year. There are only so many snaps to go around. Hill is going to get time, Gio will get time when healthy, new drafted RB could get time, that doesn't leave many snaps for Burkhead.

The Bengals simply shit the bed with Burkhead. He should've been given an opportunity sooner, but they didn't give it to him. Let him go so hopefully he can actually have a chance somewhere. He deserves it.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 02:16 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Do we have the money to sign Rex? The Bengals made some $27m disappear, so I'm sure re-signing Winston broke the bank. I honestly don't see why they should bother with Rex. I like the guy, but all indications are that they are going to draft another RB this year. There are only so many snaps to go around. Hill is going to get time, Gio will get time when healthy, new drafted RB could get time, that doesn't leave many snaps for Burkhead.

The Bengals simply shit the bed with Burkhead. He should've been given an opportunity sooner, but they didn't give it to him. Let him go so hopefully he can actually have a chance somewhere. He deserves it.

There is no question we have the dough. We just know the FO values things differently.

You could be right, almost sounds likely.

We will probably draft Mixon in the 2nd round.

Wish Rex the best man, whatever team gets him will be awarded. Marv screwed the pooch once again.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 02:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: There is no question we have the dough. We just know the FO values things differently.

You could be right, almost sounds likely.

We will probably draft Mixon in the 2nd round.

Wish Rex the best man, whatever team gets him will be awarded. Marv screwed the pooch once again.

Exactly right. We wasted Burkhead as a special teamer. We even had him below Peerman on the depth chart. We just let the kid waste away until last season with Gio and Peerman out.

Again, I like Rex and would love to keep him, but it doesn't help him. At best, he would get some snaps until Gio is back. Then it would go back to Hill/Gio with a rookie getting sprinkled in (maybe, he might also not get any snaps until years 3-4). So there's just no room at the table for Burkhead.

I heard he visited Atlanta, but that would be a similar situation to Cincinnati. He'd be buried. I hope he finds a place where he can at least share touches and have an opportunity to shine.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 02:29 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Exactly right. We wasted Burkhead as a special teamer. We even had him below Peerman on the depth chart. We just let the kid waste away until last season with Gio and Peerman out.

Again, I like Rex and would love to keep him, but it doesn't help him. At best, he would get some snaps until Gio is back. Then it would go back to Hill/Gio with a rookie getting sprinkled in (maybe, he might also not get any snaps until years 3-4). So there's just no room at the table for Burkhead.

I heard he visited Atlanta, but that would be a similar situation to Cincinnati. He'd be buried. I hope he finds a place where he can at least share touches and have an opportunity to shine.

We would honestly be his best bet if we actually played the best RB.

Gio is coming off injury, Hill has some weird mental thing where he thinks he is a fast scat back...

We have to have a backup plan in case Mixon is taken before our 2nd round pick.

Rex would be our best RB on the roster, treat him as such people!

Man i envy the Patriots, BB would of started the best RB.

Has nothing to do with race. Start the best player.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 11:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As far as receiver goes, he was 3 receptions for 34 yards and one rush for 23 yards, giving him more yards on offense than any other Bengal despite fewer opportunities again.

Sometimes fate has to intervene, like it did for a guy that was drafted later than Rex named Tom Brady.  

And your "facts" and nothing more than your beliefs also.  You have no idea what Rex can do with more snaps with an N=1 thus far.  Don't pretend that it is a fact that lesser talent never becomes top tier.  

I just don't want to lose Sexy to another team that utilizes him more.  

. it is tough to just give up on Hill for what he did his rookie year and Gio has done... that is the problem.. those two have performed for a year.. Rex just has not been able to break through like that .  He is not going to start for us next year.. so i just can;t see the Bengals paying much more than a 3rd string pay
Reply/Quote
Word is he's visiting with the Falcons..... reunion with Mo...
Reply/Quote
I wish the Clowns would overpay for him if he goes anywhere.

I'm actually kind of surprised that they didn't. Hmm

It always seems the thing for them to do.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We need to keep him. Get rid of Hills sorry ass.
Reply/Quote
We'd rather let him walk, take that comp pick next year, and start all over again with another young back. Instead of just paying the dude a little more money.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Patriots today! This FO really sucks! Jeremy Hill sucks! Seldom do I wish injury or harm to another but I want Hill's worthless ass gone from Cincy. Cold, shitty weather, pissed! Screw the Brown family.

I'm not basing this off of Rex alone. This entire FA period reeks of cheapskates.
Reply/Quote
Rex to the DeathStar that is NE would be a kick in the nuts, but man, if there is one system where Rexasaurus could be utilized to his full potential it's with those guys.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:59 PM)McC Wrote: Any rumors of suitors?  Are the Bengals even talking to him?  Anybody got anything?

I'm sure he is leaving.  Who would want to be third string if you can get a better opportunity?
Reply/Quote
Hobson just wrote this:

Quote:Now with Peko, Burkhead, and Karlos Dansby already signing or about to sign deals worthy of picks, the Bengals have some room to maneuver on the unrestricted market.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Plan-B-Mr-Smith-visits-Cincinnati-again/d1116551-e3e4-43b1-be84-7eadf920934d

Maybe he knows something about Burkhead? I wonder if he's signing with the Patriots....
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 09:20 PM)MaineBengal Wrote: Hobson just wrote this:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Plan-B-Mr-Smith-visits-Cincinnati-again/d1116551-e3e4-43b1-be84-7eadf920934d

Maybe he knows something about Burkhead? I wonder if he's signing with the Patriots....

Woo Hoo!  Scrap heap time!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Rex Burkhead is the prototypical Patriot-bound free agent. He's extremely malleable, smart, and an excellent athlete. Bill Belichick says he can take anyone who is athletic with passion for the game and make them a winner. I think Rex will have a ring soon.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 09:20 PM)MaineBengal Wrote: Hobson just wrote this:

Yay. So when we let half the team walk so we can rack up enough precious compensatory picks, THEN we're allowed to bargain shop. Fantastic. If the Bengals were any more savvy, the league would make a rule to stop them.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote