Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are Realistic options for next Head Coach & Staff given what Mike B. will spend?
What are Realistic options for the next Head Coach & Staff given what Mike Brown will be willing to spend on them ? or less realistic but possible if Mike Brown got desperate for a Championship.

If I was Mike Brown and knew I had maybe 1 decade left to live, I would start spending Big on my next Head Coach and on the Staff that coach chose.

An example:  Offer Michigan Coach (& former 49er coach) Jim Harbaugh a large Contract, buy out his Michigan contract, let him choose his Staff and give him complete control for 7 years. Take a serious shot at a Super bowl during the last decade of my life, if I'm Mike Brown.

This is just an out of the Box example that goes for it and requires a willingness to Spend money to do it. I admit it is unlikely to happen.

Any ideas on who you would try to get as the next Head Coach ?

Ideas that are within the realm of possibility, are doable but expensive, what you think Mike Brown would actually do, predictions on next Head Coach assuming they let Marvin walk if this season tanks etc...

Who do you get that can win it ALL ?
Reply/Quote
Harbaugh isn't coming. NO PROVEN COACH IS GOING TO COME HERE. Proven coaches want player personnel control. They also wouldn't operate how the Bengals do things.

Look for Guenther, Alexander, or Simmons to be the next HC. Then each of the coordinators slide up. Coyle would be DC if Guenther is HC.

Also look for Zimmer or Gruden to be HC if they get fired.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 01:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Harbaugh isn't coming. NO PROVEN COACH IS GOING TO COME HERE. Proven coaches want player personnel control. They also wouldn't operate how the Bengals do things.

Look for Guenther, Alexander, or Simmons to be the next HC. Then each of the coordinators slide up. Coyle would be DC if Guenther is HC.

I get what you are saying as to what Mike Brown will likely do.

But what would you do ?

I mentioned giving Harbaugh complete control and Spending Big to get a Coach here if I was an 80 plus year old Owner.

Win it all before I croak.

If you could make the decision, who do you go after ?  Maybe a more Realistic idea than Harbaugh but who ?
Reply/Quote
I kind of think MB retires when Marv moves on. I have no idea what kind of owner Katie will be. Hopefully she'll clean house, but I have a bad feeling she'll be as blindly loyal as her dad.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 01:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Harbaugh isn't coming. NO PROVEN COACH IS GOING TO COME HERE. Proven coaches want player personnel control. They also wouldn't operate how the Bengals do things.

This where you are wrong.  The Bengals job is going to be very attractive to a coach.  He will have say in who gets drafted and he will have job security like no other team in the NFL.

Don't kid yourself, that goes a long way.  This franchise has been close and has had some very good teams as far as personnel goes.  
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 01:42 PM)depthchart Wrote: I get what you are saying as to what Mike Brown will likely do.

But what would you do ?

I mentioned giving Harbaugh complete control and Spending Big to get a Coach here if I was an 80 plus year old Owner.

Win it all before I croak.

If you could make the decision, who do you go after ?  Maybe a more Realistic idea than Harbaugh but who ?

Jon Gruden would be my choice. He'd NEVER come.

Harbaugh is more a college coach than a Pro Coach. He really burned bridges with the 49ers.

He's not going to come here. No way.
Reply/Quote
I think it will be Urban, personally. I also believe Zampese will be demoted back to QB coach or replaced entirely. It's not an ideal scenario, but I believe it's what will happen. But hey, I'll take it.

ABM: Anybody But Marv.
Reply/Quote
Would cross my fingers and toes that Zimmer became available at the right time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I would bet my house that they go outside the organization. They did it last time.

I think the owner realizes that there needs to be a complete culture change with the staff.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 01:57 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: This where you are wrong.  The Bengals job is going to be very attractive to a coach.  He will have say in who gets drafted and he will have job security like no other team in the NFL.

Don't kid yourself, that goes a long way.  This franchise has been close and has had some very good teams as far as personnel goes.  

I agree. An NFL head coaching job is an NFL head coaching job. It will no doubt be a very attractive job. And one would think Mike will back off by now. He's 80 something years old, and he must be desperate to see a super bowl win before he's gone.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 01:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would cross my fingers and toes that Zimmer became available at the right time.

Why? Zimmer has been extremely underwhelming in Minnesotta. He's under some pressure there.

His fiery personality only scales so far. At some point, you need good strategy.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 01:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Jon Gruden would be my choice. He'd NEVER come.

Harbaugh is more a college coach than a Pro Coach. He really burned bridges with the 49ers.

He's not going to come here. No way.

I like Jon Gruden too.

It would take a Boat Load of Money, complete Control and I think Gruden would be tempted. He is familiar with the team from his brother Jay's time here and he would have to like the Weapons we have.
Reply/Quote
Anyone on the Josh McDaniels train?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 02:07 PM)depthchart Wrote: I like Jon Gruden too.

It would take a Boat Load of Money, complete Control and I think Gruden would be tempted. He is familiar with the team from his brother Jay's time here and he would have to like the Weapons we have.

Other teams have tried to get him back. The Brown family would probably never give complete control.

While we have weapons, our offensive line is going to take years to fix.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 02:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Anyone on the Josh McDaniels train?

I think he'd be better than what we have and could make our offense better.

Mike Smith was pretty good with the Falcons too...although their results were pretty close to our results here.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 02:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Other teams have tried to get him back. The Brown family would probably never give complete control.

While we have weapons, our offensive line is going to take years to fix.

Complete control would have to be on the table.

Having Marvin gone only to have a co-ordinator just step into his job and everyone else slides up the ladder in typical Mike Brown fashion likely won't do the trick as your previous Post seemed to imply.

The move has to Break the Mold in some way.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 02:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think he'd be better than what we have and could make our offense better.

Mike Smith was pretty good with the Falcons too...although their results were pretty close to our results here.

It would at least pique my interest.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'd like Matt Patricia, but the next guy is already in the building.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Can we save this conversation for the day Marvin is officially gone..........

....in 2028
Reply/Quote
The sad thing is the time to switch coaches was 4-5 years ago when we had an elite, young roster.

Now the coach that comes in will get a 30 year old AJ Green and Atkins and be staring at a rebuild.
Reply/Quote