Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What can Bengals do now to make fans happy about 2019 offseason?
(03-20-2019, 01:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I should have put "meh" moves as well.
I would put Preston Brown, Uzomah, Eifert, and Miller all in that category. They weren't bad moves, but they weren't good either IMO.

Fair enough....Miller is meh on the surface, no doubt, but he's got to be better than Redmond, I hope?  His grades point to that being the case.

I guess I'm a little higher on Preston and Uzo than most, but I like having at least a couple of guys that are good leaders and hustlers.  Uzo is a suitable enough TE, and played injured down the stretch when he was all we had....bad shoulder isn't a very good injury to a pass catcher that also blocks.  He got points with me, so I'm happy for that re-sign.  I think Brown will be a good LBer that looked a little bad last year also trying to play through two injuries.  I feel he'll be back to form, and will be a leader in the middle.

Eifert?  Well.....that's the enigma, right? Smirk

Hart lands squarely in the meh to bad for me though.....and Webb is a solid meh.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There isn't a whole lot I think can be done to change my outlook on next season (ceiling of 8 wins). Too much salary has already been accounted for in FA. However, a draft with some creative trades acquiring additional assets in rounds 3-4 and/or picks for next year coupled with an A draft would make me more optimistic for the end of next season and 2020.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know that there's any 1 move that will make the offseason successful at this point.

Upgrading the offensive line and LB were the priorities.

They spent a lot of money to bring Hart, Miller, Hopkins, Redmond, and Preston Brown back.

There were guys like LJ Fort that signed for $2 million a year. Now free agency is picked over in large part.

I just looked over someone's top 25 free agents left, as of yesterday, list.  The one name that made sense, at this point, might be Morris Claiborne.  If they're not going to bring back Dennard, and want a vet to play that 3rd CB spot, he might be the man to get them through the transition.  He's also a former 1st rounder, and would cost significantly less that what Dennard was looking for.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 01:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I just looked over someone's top 25 free agents left, as of yesterday, list.  The one name that made sense, at this point, might be Morris Claiborne.  If they're not going to bring back Dennard, and want a vet to play that 3rd CB spot, he might be the man to get them through the transition.  He's also a former 1st rounder, and would cost significantly less that what Dennard was looking for.

Agreed. A CB makes sense. There are several D-Lineman too, but I don't think that's a huge need.

McCarron as backup would be a decent move too.

We really need WR depth too, but I don't really see any worth signing.
Reply/Quote
We still need more athletic linebackers.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 01:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Same frame of mind I am in. Some opinions on many of these threads are similar to the Salem witch trials. New regime has not even coached a season yet and are judged on speculation. It's to be expected for sure, since the past some of these coaches bring to the table. But I'm hoping they make a great coaching staff under ZT and become the perfect crew. High expectations I know, but one can hope. Besides, they haven't proven me wrong, just like they haven't proven the naysayers right.  Cool

Good point, we don't exactly know about the coaches. I'm all in on Coach Taylor, the rest I'm waiting to see what they bring to the table. I do believe they can bring a lot talent and hopefully professionalism, Ehhhm Turner, to the table. I do think they have a plan, what it is, we don't know. People can only guess or think they know better but in reality at the end of they day they don't...
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 01:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. A CB makes sense. There are several D-Lineman too, but I don't think that's a huge need.

I agree about DL also. I liked what I saw out of Scott and "Johnny" Ringo in their limit playing time at the end of the season.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 01:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. A CB makes sense. There are several D-Lineman too, but I don't think that's a huge need.

WR was what I was hoping to find, but like you said, none were really appealing.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 02:03 PM)Goalpost Wrote: We still need more athletic linebackers.

Will we find them FA though? I think Brown is still available, but he's still available for a reason.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 02:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: WR was what I was hoping to find, but like you said, none were really appealing.

None of them are really better than what we have now IMO.
Reply/Quote
I mentioned this in "restore the faith" thread in draft central but I think Taylor et al. needs to hit several home runs this upcoming draft and select no head scratchers. I could always count on Lewis and the FO to select one head scratcher like Walton in 4th round last year.

Taylor has to kill this draft. First pick for a new HC is important regarding first impressions for fans. He cannot blow this one.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I think last year's offseason was more impressive with the move to bring in Glenn. That showed some creativity.

I think it will be clear after this season that the Bengals have a poor roster and need to re-build. 

Very few elite players and those we have are mainly getting old.

Very low expectations for this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 02:03 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Good point, we don't exactly know about the coaches. I'm all in on Coach Taylor, the rest I'm waiting to see what they bring to the table. I do believe they can bring a lot talent and hopefully professionalism, Ehhhm Turner, to the table. I do think they have a plan, what it is, we don't know. People can only guess or think they know better but in reality at the end of they day they don't...

The thing about Turner, if you have a guy who was in the league and then became your basic pariah, and then he gets another shot, his chances for bad behavior would seem to go way down.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 02:19 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I mentioned this in "restore the faith" thread in draft central but I think Taylor et al. needs to hit several home runs this upcoming draft and select no head scratchers.  I could always count on Lewis and the FO to select one head scratcher like Walton in 4th round last year.  

Taylor has to kill this draft.  First pick for a new HC is important regarding first impressions for fans.  He cannot blow this one.

Agree,

The 2014 and 15 drafts really killed this team ! We can't afford to have another one of those. Taylor and Tobin really need to hit a grandslam this time.

As far as restoring the faith it's simple - win. And that can't be done in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
I don't think anything at this point can be done, even if they seem to have a good draft on paper. I think the one thing for a lot of fans is that even though they have moved on from Marvin and a lot of the coaches, the front office has remained behind while at the same time bringing in a largely inexperienced coaching staff at the top spots. This, at least for me was a 1 step forward, wait and see if they step back or two steps back or not.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Easy. Hire Joe Philbin to be GM. It would complete the collection of 2015 Dolphin Super Bowl dynasty experience and provide someone to keep an eye on all of his zany ex-assistants.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 02:03 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Good point, we don't exactly know about the coaches. I'm all in on Coach Taylor, the rest I'm waiting to see what they bring to the table. I do believe they can bring a lot talent and hopefully professionalism, Ehhhm Turner, to the table. I do think they have a plan, what it is, we don't know. People can only guess or think they know better but in reality at the end of they day they don't...

[Image: QuerulousEmbarrassedAmericanindianhorse-max-1mb.gif]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHipzGL4dwM

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Believe the Texans signed AJ
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 04:53 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Believe the Texans signed AJ

Why would they do that?  I mean, it's going to be one heck of a letdown to the Texans' fans the next time Watson goes down, and they roll out AJ McCarron..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What can the Bengals do this offseason to make fans happy?

Nothing, for the most part. Trade for Aaron Rogers and someone will still complain ("they mortgaged our future!"), and most of them will lie to you anyways ("I'd be so happy if they just hired a new coach!", or "I'll go see them if they draft a QB!"). Nothing you can do now is going to get the fans to buy tickets right away anyways, so just roll with it.

What can the Bengals do to make fans happy, in general?

Honestly there's only one thing - just win a game. Start 1-0 and the vast majority will jump back on board. Get to 2-0 and the remaining holdouts will start to come around.

Of course, the minute they lose a game everybody will jump right back off and tell you how they knew it was coming all along, but hey, what can ya do.
Reply/Quote