Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What can Bengals do now to make fans happy about 2019 offseason?
At this point, realistically, they're going to have to have a draft that is considered by most, if not all, to have been a great draft.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Free popcorn?
Reply/Quote
Winning is typically a cure-all. If they say make the post season in the first year under Taylor I could see a lot of us, myself included, eating crow about this off season

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 07:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Although this would certainly qualify as "making a splash", I look at Suh as one of the most overrated players in this era.  He's a freak, but never seems to make the big play when needed.  If he was motivated, next to Geno could be special, but I think he is all ability and not much execution.  

5x Pro Bowler
3x All-Pro
56.0 career sacks
166 career QB hits
5 sacks in 6 playoff games (including 1.5 in the NFC championship last year and 2 in that Lions/Cowboys game where the Lions got screwed)
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Dennard is back. I see this as a positive for a number of reasons, our secondary should be set now. That opens up the draft for LB and OT.

I love White, but fear he would be gone by number 11. If so, do we go OT or WR or DL? I am assuming no top 2 QB available,
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
[Image: what-can-brown-do-for-you.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 05:02 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Dennard is back. I see this as a positive for a number of reasons, our secondary should be set now. That opens up the draft for LB and OT.

I love White, but fear he would be gone by number 11. If so, do we go OT or WR or DL? I am assuming no top 2 QB available,

Hell no to WR in the first round.

DL will most likely be BPA at #11.

If OT is going to be the choice we would be better served trading back and gaining more picks.
Reply/Quote
Get rid of all the coaches except Simmons Oh wait.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 02:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 5x Pro Bowler
3x All-Pro
56.0 career sacks
166 career QB hits
5 sacks in 6 playoff games (including 1.5 in the NFC championship last year and 2 in that Lions/Cowboys game where the Lions got screwed)

He was a double digit sack guy in his time with the lions...since then (the last four years) he has averaged around 5 per year.  That isn't bad, but it isn't the 13 million per year or whatever he is rumored to be after.  He has great name recognition and ability, but he seemed to take most of last year off until about the final 5 games of the season and then it became "contract time".  The Bengals can get better production from one of the DT in the draft and for a much more realistic contract.  

No denying Suh can play, but I don't think he has the all-day, every-day mentality I want for a leader on our defense.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Free popcorn?

Great idea. Lower beer cost. That will win me over
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 06:31 PM)HuDey Wrote: Hell no to WR in the first round.

DL will most likely be BPA at #11.

If OT is going to be the choice we would be better served trading back and gaining more picks.

Why no on WR? Green is over 30. We had no viable WR3 on the roster. Maybe it's Ross?

But, draft a WR at 1 and we could have a dynamic offense and the guy could replace Green in 2-3-4 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why no on WR? Green is over 30. We had no viable WR3 on the roster. Maybe it's Ross?

But, draft a WR at 1 and we could have a dynamic offense and the guy could replace Green in 2-3-4 years.

I don’t think our Oline is good enough to afford us the luxury of spending high picks on a WR. This was also one of the reasons that I hated the Ross pick. In addition to that, we need LB’s hella bad and I don’t see any of the WR’s being the BPA at #11.

I may be in the minority on this, but I really don’t like Cordy Glenn at LT moving forward. He is very average in that position, and edge rushers are only getting faster and more athletic.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 11:17 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Personally, whether I agree with what they have done to this point is irrelevant. What's done is done but I really wish they would sign Zach Brown and trade a 6th round pick for either Nick Kwiatkoski or Darren Lee (if that is possible) so they aren't pressed into reaching for Devin Bush at pick 11 or reach for a LB at 42.

Well, with 5 6th round picks they have some ability to trade up. Whether another team would be willing is anyone's guess, but I don't see a lot of use to hanging on to 5 6th round picks who may or may not ever see the inside of a coveted Bengals locker..  Perhaps coveted is a bit over doing it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 07:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He was a double digit sack guy in his time with the lions...since then (the last four years) he has averaged around 5 per year.  That isn't bad, but it isn't the 13 million per year or whatever he is rumored to be after.  He has great name recognition and ability, but he seemed to take most of last year off until about the final 5 games of the season and then it became "contract time".  The Bengals can get better production from one of the DT in the draft and for a much more realistic contract.  

No denying Suh can play, but I don't think he has the all-day, every-day mentality I want for a leader on our defense.  

He was a 10 sack guy one time in his rookie season. That was it. His sack totals have gradually been declining as he ages, it seems. Don't forget that the guy is 31 years old. I've never personally seen the guy's effort questioned. The sack totals have just declined as he ages and he got a bad rep because the Dolphins gave him a mega contract that was almost impossible to live up to.

All this said, he's still one of the 10 (maybe 5) most disruptive DT's in the game. Just last year he posted 4.5 sacks, 19 QB hits and 4 tipped passes. I mainly object to saying he's overrated or he doesn't show up in big games. The numbers say otherwise. I don't know much about his locker room presence, but I don't recall him ever being ripped by his own teammates. 

To the bolded, I don't know what you mean. 

First 11 games: 34 tackles - 3.5 sacks - 12 QB hits
Last 5 games: 25 tackles - 1 sack - 7 QB hits

I'm not seeing a huge discrepancy there. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:36 PM)HuDey Wrote: I don’t think our Oline is good enough to afford us the luxury of spending high picks on a WR. This was also one of the reasons that I hated the Ross pick. In addition to that, we need LB’s hella bad and I don’t see any of the WR’s being the BPA at #11.

I may be in the minority on this, but I really don’t like Cordy Glenn at LT moving forward. He is very average in that position, and edge rushers are only getting faster and more athletic.

I was originally all for going O-Line, but they invested in Hart, Miller, then they drafted Price with the 1st Round pick so he's the C, and then Boling, and Glenn.

Seems like the O-Line is set. It's mediocre. But they've invested in it.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 01:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: Well, with 5 6th round picks they have some ability to trade up. Whether another team would be willing is anyone's guess, but I don't see a lot of use to hanging on to 5 6th round picks who may or may not ever see the inside of a coveted Bengals locker..  Perhaps coveted is a bit over doing it..

Problem is that 5 sixth round picks are not wort anything when trying to trade up.

Plus 6th round picks are like lottery tickets.  You don't buy 6 because you think you will win 6 times.  You keep 5 6th round picks because it increases you chances of winning with one of them.
Reply/Quote
Draft White.

I'll be happy then.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 07:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He was a double digit sack guy in his time with the lions...since then (the last four years) he has averaged around 5 per year.  That isn't bad, but it isn't the 13 million per year or whatever he is rumored to be after.  He has great name recognition and ability, but he seemed to take most of last year off until about the final 5 games of the season and then it became "contract time".  The Bengals can get better production from one of the DT in the draft and for a much more realistic contract.  

We need this on both sides of the ball. Part of the reason I want to blow this roster up is because I don’t see much of it. Will a new coaching staff be the cure? I have my doubts but we will find out soon enough.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 01:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He was a 10 sack guy one time in his rookie season. That was it. His sack totals have gradually been declining as he ages, it seems. Don't forget that the guy is 31 years old. I've never personally seen the guy's effort questioned. The sack totals have just declined as he ages and he got a bad rep because the Dolphins gave him a mega contract that was almost impossible to live up to.

All this said, he's still one of the 10 (maybe 5) most disruptive DT's in the game. Just last year he posted 4.5 sacks, 19 QB hits and 4 tipped passes. I mainly object to saying he's overrated or he doesn't show up in big games. The numbers say otherwise. I don't know much about his locker room presence, but I don't recall him ever being ripped by his own teammates. 

To the bolded, I don't know what you mean. 

First 11 games: 34 tackles - 3.5 sacks - 12 QB hits
Last 5 games: 25 tackles - 1 sack - 7 QB hits

I'm not seeing a huge discrepancy there. 

It is a steady, solid performance all year but hardly worth what he is commanding.  He just seemed to play with more urgency the last quarter of the season.  Remember, he played next to Aaron Donald and got a lot of one on one matchups.  And he wants something like 13 million a year?  
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 07:43 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Draft White.

I'll be happy then.

I agree

I just hope White is there at #11
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote