Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What can Bengals do now to make fans happy about 2019 offseason?
I’m sure there will be one more mediocre signing before the fun part, the part that gets hopes up. It’s the time when the fanbase pretends that the Bengals are the only team that adds talent during the draft. The thought that mediocre adds in Free Agency and our draft being ten x’s better than the other teams in our division will help us leap frog the other teams and into the playoffs. I’ve been optimistic at the beginning of the year for several years now, I’ll guess 4-6 wins this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't see many fans excited with the FA plan thus far in 2019. What moves could be made between now and season with trades or signings to get the excitement back some felt when new coach was hired?

Would Dennard back help at the right piece? Trades are rare in the NFL, but a trade possibly? Players on the roster now that need to go? How do the Bengals get the fan mojo back?

Compete for a Super Bowl Title is what will make all Bengals fans happy!

It's not about this player or that player, it's about putting forth the effort to win a championship and that means they have to be good enough to win their division and take on the likes of New England, Kansas City, San Diego, Houston and beat these teams, even on the road and at home. Losing almost every year at home to the Steelers is just BS!

Simply put, anything short of the team really making a championship important and competing for a championship makes it not a real sports franchise. What kind of sports franchise doesn't compete for a championship? A fake sports franchise!

The following is from the Bengals Twitter page:

Notice is says, "One goal: Bring this city a championship"

Sounds great!, But then the team goes out and blunderingly signs multiple over valued contracts.  Confused  Somehow, and I'm not exactly sure how, I'm suppose to believe that this was their best effort to improve the team?

Oh, the team will make up for it by out drafting every other team in the league, and particularly, the teams who are clearly head and shoulders above the Bengals. Yeah, right? When was the last time the Bengals out drafted the league?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Personally, whether I agree with what they have done to this point is irrelevant. What's done is done but I really wish they would sign Zach Brown and trade a 6th round pick for either Nick Kwiatkoski or Darren Lee (if that is possible) so they aren't pressed into reaching for Devin Bush at pick 11 or reach for a LB at 42.
Reply/Quote
Draft Devin White and an OT in the first two rounds, extend the contracts of AJ and Tyler Boyd and tell me that Carl Lawson and Ryan Glasgow are healthy and ready to go for next year.

Do these, and I will be happy.
Reply/Quote
I don't think there is anything they could have done to change the Fans perception in the off-season. The only thing that could change that will be a playoff win.
With that being said I would like them to address the LB position by trading for a guy like Darron Lee from the Jets or signing a guy like Zach Brown.
Also I just want to see the coaching staff let the best players play and not base it on draft status or who has the biggest contract.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How do the Bengals get the fan mojo back?

win Rocky win....

well what are we waiting for...

incoming gonna fly now theme
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 02:03 PM)Goalpost Wrote: We still need more athletic linebackers.

Definitely. Since all we brought back was the slowest linebacker from last year. We need Devin Bush or White at #11.
Reply/Quote
Not much they can do. Free agency is picked through. The draft is coming, but it's coming for 32 teams.

All they can do is make a smart trade or sign a surprise cut later. If that doesn't happen, this offseason was a giant ball of meh.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 12:35 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not much they can do. Free agency is picked through. The draft is coming, but it's coming for 32 teams.

All they can do is make a smart trade or sign a surprise cut later. If that doesn't happen, this offseason was a giant ball of meh.

Agreed. The most exciting part is usually coaching changes and free agency. With the exception of Taylor, there's nothing for them to hang their hat on. They've basically backed themselves into a corner, again, when it comes to the draft. We need a LB badly and this is a top heavy LB class. I don't see us trading up for Devin White so you can almost bank on Devin Bush at #11. 

Outside of a playoff victory, I don't see them winning the fan base back. We were close with Marvin and people basically fell off after the 2013 playoff loss.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
There's not much... I'd be happy if they lock up Tyler Boyd during camp. Maybe get a lil silly and sign Suh or Ansah to a one year deal. Draft White in the first round. If he's gone get a OT, and hope the other Devin's there in the second round.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The team after dropping Merv had the fans interested again but the Dc shitshow and the FA is yawn no doubt has most thinking nothing new to see here. At this point it is just wait and see, although if they put Mike Brown in a care home I will get interested
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
The offseason and how fans feel about it is entirely irrellivent. Drive the fans off the cliff. Trade all of the draft picks for the worst pff graded players available. Trade AJ and Geno for practice squad players.  What matters is a winning culture, a winning team, and CHAMPIONSHIPS! I say old chaps, TALLY-HOOooooooo...
Reply/Quote
No training camp injuries.
Players buying into what the new staff is doing
A renewed focus on winning
A solid draft that fits needs
Malik Jefferson treated like he's on the roster would also be a nice touch, since he's a LB and we need some so bad
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't see many fans excited with the FA plan thus far in 2019. What moves could be made between now and season with trades or signings to get the excitement back some felt when new coach was hired?

Would Dennard back help at the right piece? Trades are rare in the NFL, but a trade possibly? Players on the roster now that need to go? How do the Bengals get the fan mojo back?

I would like to see them sign at least one solid FA LB for quality depth.  I was also hoping Dennard would be re-signed.  He provides flexibility and is a solid slot corner.

Then, it really boils down to nailing the draft.  The need real improvements at LB, DT, and a RT that can push for starting role.  I hope they go outside their normal selves and go with a LB or DT in Rd 1, which is not their norm, but there is some outstanding talent to be had there.  

If White and Ed Oliver are gone, I would love to see them slide back with a QB-hungry team for an extra pick in Rd 2.  Then get a beast like Dexter Lawrence, a LB, and a OT in the first two rounds.  

After that, it is really about value and hoping the coaching staff can get the most out of the talent and not let them rot on the bench.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 01:13 AM)jason Wrote: There's not much... I'd be happy if they lock up Tyler Boyd during camp. Maybe get a lil silly and sign Suh or Ansah to a one year deal. Draft White in the first round. If he's gone get a OT, and hope the other Devin's there in the second round.

Although this would certainly qualify as "making a splash", I look at Suh as one of the most overrated players in this era.  He's a freak, but never seems to make the big play when needed.  If he was motivated, next to Geno could be special, but I think he is all ability and not much execution.  
Reply/Quote

Sorry but I just don't see FA as a make or break plan.  Outside of the LA Rams, history doesn't really reflect any significant impact to winning for teams that make big free agent signings.

People need to remember this was a 4-1 team before the injuries derailed the season.  Some may say injuries happen to every team, and that is true.  But the Bengals lost very key cogs in the wheel (Brown in week 1, Glascow in week 3, Eifert in week 4, Kroft in week 5, Lawson went down, Green went down, Dalton down, Vigil missed what seemed like couple months, the list goes on).  Ross, although not very productive, missed time.  All of these starters were critical.  We essentially just played with too many back-ups.  A couple of players out for a couple of weeks no biggie but you just can't overcome the number of quality players that went to the IR.

We should be better at LG.  Hopefully we'll draft a stud LB, pick up a TE and some additional lineman in the draft.

Who knows what kind of coach ZT will be.  I'm sure he'll need to learn the ins and outs and there will probably be some growing pains. Worst case he ought to be able to manage the clock better from day 1 and hold players accountable for their actions.
Reply/Quote
Free beer.

Mellow

I'm fine with the off-season. We haven't made any super horrible decisions, we haven't overpaid. I'll wait till after the draft.
Reply/Quote
They need to add talent at linebacker period. Their linebacking corps just plain sucks. The ones that don't suck, ie Vigil and Brown, are just a couple of dudes. Zero playmakers at that level whatsoever. If they added a guy or two like Brown or Lee, it would help. Being lucky enough to have White fall would be a positive.

Not adding talent to what was literally the worst defense in the NFL last year is really a joke when you think about it.

I don't think the FO lives in reality, and this is a problem. I've read and heard Hobson talk over the last week about how this team is soooo effing good and how they won a bunch of games last year before they lost a bunch more and everything's just peachy. To hear him tell it, it's like we were going to the Super Bowl if not for one or two freak incidents. I think that the Brown family is actually dumb enough to think that this might be true.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 09:10 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Sorry but I just don't see FA as a make or break plan.  Outside of the LA Rams, history doesn't really reflect any significant impact to winning for teams that make big free agent signings.

People need to remember this was a 4-1 team before the injuries derailed the season.  Some may say injuries happen to every team, and that is true.  But the Bengals lost very key cogs in the wheel (Brown in week 1, Glascow in week 3, Eifert in week 4, Kroft in week 5, Lawson went down, Green went down, Dalton down, Vigil missed what seemed like couple months, the list goes on).  Ross, although not very productive, missed time.  All of these starters were critical.  We essentially just played with too many back-ups.  A couple of players out for a couple of weeks no biggie but you just can't overcome the number of quality players that went to the IR.

We should be better at LG.  Hopefully we'll draft a stud LB, pick up a TE and some additional lineman in the draft.

Who knows what kind of coach ZT will be.  I'm sure he'll need to learn the ins and outs and there will probably be some growing pains. Worst case he ought to be able to manage the clock better from day 1 and hold players accountable for their actions.

I agree.  I'd also add they lost Mixon for a couple of games during that 4-1 stretch, which proves your point about injuries.  A couple weeks?  No biggie.  IR for so many important pieces?  Biggie.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 09:10 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Sorry but I just don't see FA as a make or break plan.  Outside of the LA Rams, history doesn't really reflect any significant impact to winning for teams that make big free agent signings.

Pretty spot on Daddy-O. Heck, in some spots on the roster we were down to a 3rd string starting. I think making the D stronger this year will make this a much better team.  I look for a strong D push in the draft, with an OL sprinkled in on day 2 of the draft.
Reply/Quote