Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do we do if Sewell is gone at 3?
Who would you target? Would you trade down? What would you do?

If Sewell is the top prospect in the draft, it’s wishful thinking he falls to 3–especially considering it looks like there’s only one QB worth taking before him.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 06:26 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Who would you target? Would you trade down? What would you do?

If Sewell is the top prospect in the draft, it’s wishful thinking he falls to 3–especially considering it looks like there’s only one QB worth taking before him.

Thoughts?

Draft boards fluctuate a lot.  Around this time in 2019, it was looking like Haskins might be QB1, but he wound up QB3 and falling to 15.  Meanwhile, Jones jumped out of relative obscurity to go 6.  Trask and/or Wilson could make similar jumps this year.

What the sudden concern regarding Fields' stock really shows is that the Bengals can't rely on Sewell being there to fix the OL.  They need to spend the money on a couple of quality starters in FA.  

Whether Sewell is or isn't there, they should listen to trade offers and stick to their board.  I would likely go Chase in that slot if no trade offer knocked my socks off.
Reply/Quote
Would there be an elite defensive playmaker available at 3? If we stay put I’d prefer to go this route, but wouldn’t mind Chase. I’d lean towards trading down in this scenario. It’d be nice if someone more knowledgeable could put together a top 5 available list for this spot.
Reply/Quote
Honestly there are a lot of variables that factor in this to me I think you trade down because we need more than one player.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 08:15 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Would there be an elite defensive playmaker available at 3? If we stay put I’d prefer to go this route, but wouldn’t mind Chase. I’d lean towards trading down in this scenario. It’d be nice if someone more knowledgeable could put together a top 5 available list for this spot.

Micah Parsons the lb from penn state. Considered the best linebacker in 10 years or something.

Also you have to figure out if Rousseau fits what you want in an edge and is Chase a generational receiver or not.

Then if a team is really in love with a QB are they willing to give up enough to trade out and hope to get Cosmi or slater

Lots of options
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 09:51 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Micah Parsons the lb from penn state. Considered the best linebacker in 10 years or something.

Also you have to figure out if Rousseau fits what you want in an edge and is Chase a generational receiver or not.

Then if a team is really in love with a QB are they willing to give up enough to trade out and hope to get Cosmi or slater

Lots of options

Gerogry Rousseau has it all. You will see raw attached to his profile but dont let that fool you. 

Rousseau had 30+ negative plays as a sophomore. He has the size to play across the defensive line and the athleticism to drop out in coverage. He can do the things the Browns ask of Myles Garrett.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 09:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Gerogry Rousseau has it all. You will see raw attached to his profile but dont let that fool you. 

Rousseau had nearly 30 negative plays as a sophomore. He has the size to play across the defensive line and the athleticism to drop out in coverage. He can do the things the Browns ask of Myles Garrett.

So, under the masterful tutelage of the masterful Bengals coaching staff, you think he might turn out to be similar to ADG?  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 09:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Gerogry Rousseau has it all. You will see raw attached to his profile but dont let that fool you. 

Rousseau had 30+ negative plays as a sophomore. He has the size to play across the defensive line and the athleticism to drop out in coverage. He can do the things the Browns ask of Myles Garrett.

I’ve been told by people here that he isn’t worth the #3, but as big as he is, the production he had his sophomore year, I don’t understand why he wouldn’t be.

But I feel like if they go defense, they should get Micah Parsons. I think he is the best defensive player in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 10:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, under the masterful tutelage of the masterful Bengals coaching staff, you think he might turn out to be similar to ADG?  Ninja

Lol. I only talk draft possibilities. 

Penei Sewell and Gregory Rousseau are very similar as prospects both are measure and have the athleticism that teams dream about but are raw prospects. (Sewell having a little more experience). The Bengals would be gambling with both picks but they are at the point where gambling is almost a necessity. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Due to covid this whole draft is a crap shoot. You will se many first and 2nd round busts. You will also see pro bowlers that are late round picks or Un drafted free agents. This is the year where a good scouting department would be hugely beneficial
Reply/Quote

Other than only playing one season what’s the reason he’s not being talked about as a lock for a top 5 pick? I know he’s not supposed to be a Young/Bosa level prospect, but just looking at his stats and measurements I’m not sure why.

Reply/Quote
I trade if there's a quarterback-hungry team with a must-have prospect on their mind. If not, Idk. I guess Chase or Rousseau. I don't love any corners or OL here. I think they can get a RT or G in 2. Ideally, I'd like to trade back for an extra second round pick and a first rounder that gives them a legit shot at Wyatt Davis.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 11:11 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Due to covid this whole draft is a crap shoot. You will se many first and 2nd round busts. You will also see pro bowlers that are late round picks or Un drafted free agents. This is the year where a good scouting department would be hugely beneficial

Umm, under typical circumstances the draft is a crap shoot.  We see the same number of 1st and 2nd round busts each and every season, as well as late round gems that develop into stars.  This team has had shitty scouting for 30 years, and I expect this to maybe be their lucky year to win the crap shoot, as the odds are due to find them in favor..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 11:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Umm, under typical circumstances the draft is a crap shoot.  We see the same number of 1st and 2nd round busts each and every season, as well as late round gems that develop into stars.  This team has had shitty scouting for 30 years, and I expect this to maybe be their lucky year to win the crap shoot, as the odds are due to find them in favor..

This is what’s known as ‘the gamblers fallacy’. We have the same chances as everyone else in the draft. Our past fails don’t give us a bump in the odds. Actually, our poor scouting decreases our odds compared to other teams. Granted, picking higher in the draft increases our odds of having success.
Reply/Quote
My priority would be to trade down, but there's no guarantee you can based on your asking price.
I wouldn't reach for a prospect, so I'd go with either Chase or Surtain if I can't trade down.
I'd probably lean Surtain in that situation, as I'd be looking to either have a CB1 to pair with Waynes if WJ3 isn't re-signed or planning to move on from Waynes in 2022 if WJ3 is retained. You may say the Bengals can't move on from Waynes, but 2022 is his final year under contract and would free up $11 mill in cap space ($16 mill cap hit minus $5 mill dead cap).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 12:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My priority would be to trade down, but there's no guarantee you can based on your asking price.
I wouldn't reach for a prospect, so I'd go with either Chase or Surtain if I can't trade down.
I'd probably lean Surtain in that situation, as I'd be looking to either have a CB1 to pair with Waynes if WJ3 isn't re-signed or planning to move on from Waynes in 2022 if WJ3 is retained. You may say the Bengals can't move on from Waynes, but 2022 is his final year under contract and would free up $11 mill in cap space ($16 mill cap hit minus $5 mill dead cap).

Mine as well

There's so much that can and (usually) will happen between now and the end of April. There very well could be 5 or even 6 1st round QB's selected and the will change everything. Look at all the aging QB's who's time is quickly coming to an end, Brady, Brees, Newton, Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Pig Ben. I'd venture to say 1 or more of those teams may be shuffling for position.

The Bengals have to address their lines, period. To be able to get back in the hunt we have to fix the trenches. We probably need at least two quality starters on both lines. And we need to enhance the backups. 

Our interior Oline is among the worst in the league, we have to fix it. I'm leaning harder and harder every day towards trading back and taking the biggest haul we can get.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2020, 11:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Other than only playing one season what’s the reason he’s not being talked about as a lock for a top 5 pick? I know he’s not supposed to be a Young/Bosa level prospect, but just looking at his stats and measurements I’m not sure why.

He basically just won with his innate athletic gifts and doesn't have very good technique.  He also played at 251, which is pretty light compared to the 265-270 range Young and Boss were in.  
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 01:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Mine as well

There's so much that can and (usually) will happen between now and the end of April. There very well could be 5 or even 6 1st round QB's selected and the will change everything. Look at all the aging QB's who's time is quickly coming to an end, Brady, Brees, Newton, Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Pig Ben. I'd venture to say 1 or more of those teams may be shuffling for position.

The Bengals have to address their lines, period. To be able to get back in the hunt we have to fix the trenches. We probably need at least two quality starters on both lines. And we need to enhance the backups. 

Our interior Oline is among the worst in the league, we have to fix it. I'm leaning harder and harder every day towards trading back and taking the biggest haul we can get.

I agree with the aging QBs part except for Newton and Stafford. Newton is only 31 years old. Stafford only 32.
In today's NFL, I only consider "aging" QBs to be 35+ years old.

If the Bengals can get 2+ additional Day 1/2 picks in a tradeback and Sewell is gone, it's a no-brainer IMO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 01:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with the aging QBs part except for Newton and Stafford. Newton is only 31 years old. Stafford only 32.
In today's NFL, I only consider "aging" QBs to be 35+ years old.

If the Bengals can get 2+ additional Day 1/2 picks in a tradeback and Sewell is gone, it's a no-brainer IMO.

I should have added questionable for Newton. Will he ever return to prior form ? The Eagles and Wentz ? There's others ? We may well see a QB shuffle big time before the 2021 season starts. 

Like you say if we can pick up an extra 2nd and 4th do it and take G Davis.
Reply/Quote
Sewell was the perfect fit for the Bengals. Drafting top five you want a QB, LT, Edge or DT. No other positions are worth a top five. This draft was shaping up perfect. Sewell is a generational LT and a position of need. Now that that Jets are number two and Lawrence goes to the Jaguars, I think Jets will take Sewell and give new coach a chance to develop Darnold. Lawrence was worth giving up on Darnold but I don't think Fields is worth dumping Darnold and passing on Sewell

Problem is that no other player is worth a third pick for the Bengals and even trading back is not as perfect as Sewell. Bengals needed some elite players. No other LT is elite and neither is Rousseau. If they get a great haul from a team who wants Fields it may work out but I REALLY wanted Sewell.
Reply/Quote