Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you want as the bengals number1 pick?
Derek Barnett
Tim Williams
Jonathan Allen
Pat Elfien
OJ Howard
Or, if they're gone, add another CB to the mix with Quincy Wilson. Because, really, we should be fielding at least six corners at all times.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 01:48 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Got to go needs verses best player available.

We have plenty of needs.

So would say to take the best player available out of our needs OL, DE, LB, DT.

Or a kicker, lol.

BPA that meets a need.    doesn't matter what spot..  Id even add  S to that list   just not a 1st round CB lol...

Could this be a TE year? lol
Reply/Quote
My Big Board at #8 would be....

1.Myles Garrett-The best natural pass rusher in the draft. Immediate upgrade over MJ at RDE.

2.Jonathan Allen-Mammoth DE that's a stud pass rusher and run defender. Would probably force Dunlap to move to RDE.

3.Mike Williams-Would provide a much needed second deep threat and give us one of the top WR duos in the league.

4.Leonard Fornette-Rex and Peerman are upcoming FA's, Gio is recovering from a torn ACL, and Hill has regressed horribly since his rookie year. We need a new bell cow.

5.Zach Cunningham-The best 3-down LB prospect in the draft.

6.Derek Barnett-Prolific college pass rusher, but coaches tendency to move him around to create mismatches may have somewhat inflated his stats.

7.Jamal Adams-Big time upgrade over Williams at S.

8.Malik McDowell-Another stud for the trenches.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 11:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: My Big Board at #8 would be....

1.Myles Garrett-The best natural pass rusher in the draft. Immediate upgrade over MJ at RDE.

2.Jonathan Allen-Mammoth DE that's a stud pass rusher and run defender.  Would probably force Dunlap to move to RDE.

3.Mike Williams-Would provide a much needed second deep threat and give us one of the top WR duos in the league.

4.Leonard Fornette-Rex and Peerman are upcoming FA's, Gio is recovering from a torn ACL, and Hill has regressed horribly since his rookie year.  We need a new bell cow.

5.Zach Cunningham-The best 3-down LB prospect in the draft.

6.Derek Barnett-Prolific college pass rusher, but coaches tendency to move him around to create mismatches may have somewhat inflated his stats.

7.Jamal Adams-Big time upgrade over Williams at S.

8.Malik McDowell-Another stud for the trenches.

I like this list at 8.   I wouldn't be opposed to taking Fornette either.  I can actually see this happening. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 05:00 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Derek Barnett. Pure pass rusher with a fight to the ball and great pursuit. He wants to win and does whatever he can to do so. Passed Reggie White's college sack record. Barnett would be the dominate pass rusher we've been missing from mour defensive ends. Sure, Dunlap is really good, but he doesn't take over many games. He's a great overall defensive end and does A LOT right.

Mike Williams is someone the Bengals can also take a look at. They signed LaFell to a 1 year deal. Even though I don't think he's been bad by any means, Mike Williams would be an upgrade. I want Boyd to take over on the outside, but I also wouldn't mind Williams being drafted.

Jamal Adams is someone I also really like. I was never a fan of resigning Williams to a long term deal when he had little playing time. Adams is instinctive and always around the ball. He covers well and has the size to be able to take on running backs and tight ends. He's versatile and I think he'd be a very good fit here.

I know people clamor for offensive line, but honestly I don't see anyone worth a top 10 pick. I'm not really that huge of a fan of Cam Robinson. He actually struggled against some of the better defensive ends in this class. I was watching Barnett against Alabama and he was applying consistent pressure and even got to the QB. Robinson did well against Garrett though, but his tape is very up and down.

I love Barnett and Adams.  Either one would be an impact player.  Barnett is the kind of guy who always finishes.   I can't tell you how many times I've seen our DEs whiff after getting there.  Adams makes some ill advised torpedo tackles that whiff, but he is fast, smart, instinctive and hits like a truck.  When you see what Landon Collins has done for the Giants I think Adams would do that for us.  Unfortunate timing because of the contract we gave to Williams.

And of course I'd be thrilled to get Foster.  His instincts, acceleration and tackling are elite.  He would create fear and loathing to running backs and TEs.

If we get any one of those 3 players I will be thrilled.
Reply/Quote
Zach Cunningham
Reply/Quote
Nick Saban, Alabama
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
One thing for certain is we have more needs than what the next draft can provide. And as I go down the list, my first worry is LT. The team is nearing 'borrowed time' in depending on Whit being there for us for much longer. Add to this the 'unproven' Ogbueghi now backup at LT, and look where the team will be IF Whit goes down. Currently we don't even have a journeyman quality backup like what Winston provides for us at RT. So my first pick is LT.

Center is my next target...maybe. Bodine seems to be improving some lately, but the thought is still there wondering about him being the right long-term player for that spot.

RT might be next, depending on whether Fisher does fill the need, and IF Winston can hang in there for backup for another couple of years.

RG: Then there is Zeitler's seemingly down year, plus being in his contract year. Has he been playing injured? Or has the poor/inconsistent play on either side of him been dragging him down? Will Westerman fill the possible void? This needs resolution this off season.

Call it managed risk, but if any one of the above spots go unaddressed, then we continue to see more of the same running and protection problems that we all criticize each and every week. Pick your poison. What can we live without before moving on to the defense, something that barely follows in multiple needs?
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I really liked what I saw from core on sunday. Even though lafell and Boyd made some long yard catches, I still think they are in dire need of a solid number 2, which I hope they use a pick to draft someone big and sting in the draft. Obviously, not their first pick. I think both lafell and Boyd need to play their traditional spots as slot receiver and core needs to play when we need to pick up a first down. I hope he builds on last Sunday but it's clear we need a tall fast receiver as a deep threat. My question is, do they try to get one in the draft or dare I say free agency?
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 12:53 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: If I were king for a day I would take offensive line RD 1 every single draft.  Outside of the QB it's the most important part of a football team - and may be THE most important, QB included.

I'm sure some are laughing right now but I'm serious.  I would build my team every year by adding the best o-lineman available in RD 1.  Everything else, including a decent QB can be found in later rounds.  If your line is great your team is very difficult to beat.  Heck, if AD had a line like Dallas or Oakland he'd be the top QB in the league.  Not only that, our running game would be much better with lesser talent required.

Call me crazy but I've seen enough football to realize it's the only way to be consistently consistent.  Last Sunday was a perfect example.  Even average players can perform (our current receiving corps) if the QB has the time to spread the ball around.

The only issue that I see with this logic is that since the proliferation of the spread offenses, offensive tackles have been hit and miss.  Back in the day you could draft a first round OT and he would be a lock to start for 10 years.  Lately, the draft has been filled with busts and underperformers.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 02:34 PM)3wt Wrote: I love Barnett and Adams.  Either one would be an impact player.  Barnett is the kind of guy who always finishes.   I can't tell you how many times I've seen our DEs whiff after getting there.  Adams makes some ill advised torpedo tackles that whiff, but he is fast, smart, instinctive and hits like a truck.  When you see what Landon Collins has done for the Giants I think Adams would do that for us.  Unfortunate timing because of the contract we gave to Williams.

And of course I'd be thrilled to get Foster.  His instincts, acceleration and tackling are elite.  He would create fear and loathing to running backs and TEs.

If we get any one of those 3 players I will be thrilled.

The Bengals structured Williams' contract so they could get out from under it easily if he didn't pan out.  They would save $2.7 mill if they cut him this upcoming off-season iirc.  

Foster is highly overrated, imo.  He is this year's Rey Maualuga, i.e. a guy that looked like a beast when surrounded with great talent that looks to be nothing more than a 2 down thumper when you really look at him.  He's suspect in coverage and hasn't shown much as a pass rusher, so he's not going to be a 3-down player, at least immediately. I just don't see how you can spend a 1st rounder on a LB that's not great in coverage and or a great pass rusher in today's NFL.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 08:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Bengals structured Williams' contract so they could get out from under it easily if he didn't pan out.  They would save $2.7 mill if they cut him this upcoming off-season iirc.  

Foster is highly overrated, imo.  He is this year's Rey Maualuga, i.e. a guy that looked like a beast when surrounded with great talent that looks to be nothing more than a 2 down thumper when you really look at him.  He's suspect in coverage and hasn't shown much as a pass rusher, so he's not going to be a 3-down player, at least immediately. I just don't see how you can spend a 1st rounder on a LB that's not great in coverage and or a great pass rusher in today's NFL.

Watching the SEC CG, I saw Foster get lost in coverage, and give up a TD to a RB.  However, it really is tough to tell with Alabama's collection of talent.  They currently have 55 active players in the NFL.  You'd almost be stupid to not give their talent the benefit of the doubt.  Hell, even Andre Smith, who is a fat, lazy slug by most accounts, is still better than anything that we have to offer at RT this season...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2016, 06:08 AM)sonofstat Wrote: Pass rushing DE or LB for me.  

Free agency for RT if possible.

It's early, but this is more likely.  No matter their previous strategy, the desperate need for stability at RT will drive them to sign a guy like Ricky Wagner from the Ravens or at least an above average starter.  No way you keep this as a need and hope that Robinson falls to the 10 pick they'll play themselves into at the end of the year. 

Odds are, the BPA when the pick comes up will be a defender, that 5 to 11 slot has too many projected there.  Hopefully it's one of the stud DE's or Peppers falling, but you could be looking at DB (even corner yet again if Dre walks) or toying with an unconventional pick like Tim Williams as a pass rushing toy or even star WR Mike Williams if he's the true BPA.  Yes you need to build up the lines, but lets check back in when FA is done. 

Early prediction:  Sign RT Wagner, CB Kirkpatrick, T Whitworth (Zeitler gets paid elsewhere)
Kinda realistic draft prediction: Draft Peppers at #6.  Talent wise, he's a top 5 pick but I hope I hope someone passes on him because they don't subscribe to draft talent and think fit later.  The combine is his turf, but lets hope the Jets go QB and the Bengals get a gift.  Man could you imagine landing a pass rusher in the 2nd/3rd to help Dunlap and Geno....then having Burfict and Peppers roaming the middle and making plays?   

Reply/Quote
I think it all depends on where we land.  By winning more games we devalue the teams worth in the draft so its impossible to tell who to vote.  If we stay in the top 10 and get a shot at fournette I think it needs to be considered.  Malik Hooker is another guy who's value is on the rise and Foster would be plug in play for our system.  I find this DE class kinda weak and would prefer addressing it in the 2nd or 3rd round.  I think its much more important to get a strong center in round 2 and just address DE with one of the free agents this year.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 11:43 AM)Okeana Wrote: I think it all depends on where we land.  By winning more games we devalue the teams worth in the draft so its impossible to tell who to vote.  If we stay in the top 10 and get a shot at fournette I think it needs to be considered.  Malik Hooker is another guy who's value is on the rise and Foster would be plug in play for our system.  I find this DE class kinda weak and would prefer addressing it in the 2nd or 3rd round.  I think its much more important to get a strong center in round 2 and just address DE with one of the free agents this year.

This is one of the best DE classes in awhile...
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Right now i am hoping Zach Cunningham LB Vandy falls to us and we grab him up. Do everything LB that we need. Athletic cover LB.

But if we keep winning OT might still be the best move with how bad Og and Fisher have been and i would go with Cam Robinson OT Bama.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 01:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is one of the best DE classes in awhile...

There is like two guys above the rest and the rest are good, but whats the drop off from round 1 - 3 going to be ?  if we can get a guy early in the 2nd then why burn a first round on a DE.  Don't get me wrong I will be stoked regardless, but the fall off at ILB and S is gonna be huge after first round imo.  Taking a great runner early in the 1st is a good idea if we have the chance, but who knows.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 09:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Watching the SEC CG, I saw Foster get lost in coverage, and give up a TD to a RB.  However, it really is tough to tell with Alabama's collection of talent.  They currently have 55 active players in the NFL.  You'd almost be stupid to not give their talent the benefit of the doubt.  Hell, even Andre Smith, who is a fat, lazy slug by most accounts, is still better than anything that we have to offer at RT this season...

He has a bad feel for coverage and college QB's are able to manipulate him with their eyes and pump fakes.  A guy like Roethlisberger will eat Foster up.  That, combined with the fact that he's not a good pass rusher means you can't play him in nickel, and we're in nickel more than a base 4-3.  I think he's an upgrade as a run stuffer, but does nothing to fix the problems our LB's have covering RB's and TE's or getting to the QB.  I think scouting services are highly overrating him because of his highlight reel hits, and without a monster combine, he'll slide out of the 1st entirely.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2016, 01:46 AM)Whatever Wrote: He has a bad feel for coverage and college QB's are able to manipulate him with their eyes and pump fakes.  A guy like Roethlisberger will eat Foster up.  That, combined with the fact that he's not a good pass rusher means you can't play him in nickel, and we're in nickel more than a base 4-3.  I think he's an upgrade as a run stuffer, but does nothing to fix the problems our LB's have covering RB's and TE's or getting to the QB.  I think scouting services are highly overrating him because of his highlight reel hits, and without a monster combine, he'll slide out of the 1st entirely.

Reminds me of what we were saying about Perryman last year.

That is why we should grab Cunningham if we grab a LB in the first.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 08:57 PM)Okeana Wrote: There is like two guys above the rest and the rest are good, but whats the drop off from round 1 - 3 going to be ?  if we can get a guy early in the 2nd then why burn a first round on a DE.  Don't get me wrong I will be stoked regardless, but the fall off at ILB and S is gonna be huge after first round imo.  Taking a great runner early in the 1st is a good idea if we have the chance, but who knows.

The true ILB in a 4-3 scheme has gone the way of the true fullback.  I can't remember the actual number, but I thought that the Bengals were in nickel personnel over 50% of the time, which explains Maualuga's lack of playing time this year.

I don't really care if we draft a MLB, it doesn't really fit our scheme anymore.  If we do grab one, he better be able to cover.  I think you can get a speed/coverage guy in the 3rd round and call it a day.

As far as pass rushers go, there are a ton in this year's draft - although I could care less about how many there are.  If we are picking in the top 10, we need a guy that will turn into a pro-bowler at a premium position.  I don't see the Bengals giving up on either Fisher or Ced yet, so I can see one of the following being the pick:

Barnett
Fournette (although Dalvin Cook would be a sleeper)
Mike Williams
Reply/Quote