Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What draft pick would you have changed for Oline?
I'm seeing both on here and Nationally that our draft is taking ahit because we "did not address the oline",So my question is to you and them: What Olineman would you have taken in the first 4 rounds instead of the players we got?

I mentioned first 4 rounds because a few folks are saying we should have taken Player X instead of the kicker in the 5th (BTW, we needed a kicker). So instead of complaining tell me who you would have taken
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Asiata with 5a, Elliott with 5b
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm seeing both on here and Nationally that our draft is taking ahit because we "did not address the oline",So my question is to you and them: What Olineman would you have taken in the first 4 rounds instead of the players we got?

I mentioned first 4 rounds because a few folks are saying we should have taken Player X instead of the kicker in the 5th (BTW, we needed a kicker). So instead of complaining tell me who you would have taken

I'll be honest I don't think the team ever had the intention of taking an Olineman unless a guy like Lamp fell and Mixon wasn't there. Weak class and no serious talent falling to us meant we weren't taking an olineman.

Been telling people all offseason that I thought the coaches liked the playera we have much better than we do.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What Olineman would you have taken in the first 4 rounds instead of the players we got?

(04-30-2017, 10:21 PM)Beaker Wrote: Asiata with 5a, Elliott with 5b

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:23 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: I'll be honest I don't think the team ever had the intention of taking an Olineman unless a guy like Lamp fell and Mixon wasn't there. Weak class and no serious talent falling to us meant we weren't taking an olineman.

Been telling people all offseason that I thought the coaches liked the playera we have much better than we do.

Yeah, I think they may have taken Robinson or Lamp in the second; however once they got taken they moved back and still got their plan B

Reply/Quote

This.  Otherwise I am totally satisfied with this draft
Reply/Quote
Yeah. Robinson, Lamp, Feeney. The only lineman I think they were hoping for. Those were the best plug-and-play players available Day 2. Otherwise no one else in the draft was really worth a 2nd and late selection imo.

I'm glad they didn't reach for OL.
Reply/Quote
Would have rather taken Ethan Pocic or Pat Elflein in round 2 over Mixon.

Would have drafted Isaac Asiata in round 4B instead of Glasgow as well. Granted, I still think the Glasgow pick was a good one.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm seeing both on here and Nationally that our draft is taking ahit because we "did not address the oline",So my question is to you and them: What Olineman would you have taken in the first 4 rounds instead of the players we got?

We really need to rep this post and think realistically.  I could name maybe two players, but even then neither would have any realistic impact or upside beyond Westerman,  a current backup.  It's one thing to land a gem in a deep draft, but I'm not sure how a 4th rd pick was going to save the season.  

The current unit is playing sink or swim. If they falter they'll go with the same fallback of Andre RT, Fisher LT, Westerman RG, etc... a guy like Sharpe would have been groomed in practice and sat and watched a guy like Winston play instead.  Next year they can draft one higher in a better class or actually sign one.  We need to think about how much of an impact a 4th rounder was going to make. 
Reply/Quote

For starters you have to go back to free agency where a bad O-line got worse by losing its top two players. Signing Andre back was good, but he missed several games last year on IR.

Combine the lack of action by the team in free agency and a weak O-line draft and what's left of our weak O-line from last year and you can understand why not just Bengals fans are a bit puzzled about the lack of improvement through the draft.

Next, Mike Brown does not value interior linemen and there's tons of evidence to support making that statement again and again and again. I was hoping we'd have drafted Whitehair last year but we didn't. Of course he ended up being one of the top centers in the NFL last year as a rookie while we drafted another corner who didn't contribute his rookie, just like the previous two corners we drafted.

As for what the team could have done in the draft, it could have done a lot actually. There was a lot of trade action in this draft and even the Bengals made two trades. While there weren't any O-linemen worthy of a top 10 pick in this draft, we had trade down and trade up options in the first three rounds that could have dramatically improved the O-line.

San Diego, picking only a few picks in front of us managed to grab Lamp and Feeney. Minnessota traded up to get Elflien just in front of Feeney, Jacksonville traded up to grab Robinson, so there was a trade there to be had.

Let's face it we rolled the dice in the first two rounds and that left no room to actually improved the O-line as we weren't going to miss out on defense in a very strong defensive draft.

Reply/Quote
Roderick Johnson instead of elliot is my first choice.

To meet the criteria i would say any of the 3 tackles that went after Josh malone and before Glasgow in 4. My preference being Banner then Sharpe then Davenport.

Erickson made me a fan. Being 7 deep at WR means he is the first to go imo. Would have rather had one of those mammoth potential tackles to develop.

I didnt spend much time looking at Deilman video. But what i saw meshed with what Kiper said. Guy is on the ground too much. I dont know why we are all of a sudden going for zone blocking linemen and getting away from power. This is the AFC North. Every team plays outside.
Reply/Quote
I thought it was funny this was supposedly a bad OL class. 2 of the patriots 4 picks were OL. Needless to say I wont be surprised if they found a good one
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 11:12 PM)phil413 Wrote: We really need to rep this post and think realistically.  I could name maybe two players, but even then neither would have any realistic impact or upside beyond Westerman,  a current backup.  It's one thing to land a gem in a deep draft, but I'm not sure how a 4th rd pick was going to save the season.  

The current unit is playing sink or swim. If they falter they'll go with the same fallback of Andre RT, Fisher LT, Westerman RG, etc... a guy like Sharpe would have been groomed in practice and sat and watched a guy like Winston play instead.  Next year they can draft one higher in a better class or actually sign one.  We need to think about how much of an impact a 4th rounder was going to make. 

Ironic, because Westerman is a 5th rounder who has not played any snaps in the NFL.

I never understood why people were so high on Westerman. Sure. I think he could do well. But he's done nothing. He could be downright terrible. Or he could be amazing. The fact is, he's a 5th rounder, so it's not far-fetched to think a 4th rounder would be better and have more impact than him.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote

So you would've been happy with just drafting a position just because you need it? Because this was the worst draft of all time for offensive lineman and the guys we picked at those spots instead of lineman will likely be good.

The first lineman went off at 20. That alone should've told you what caliber lineman were available.

Our biggest failure was not addressing O line in FA. We aren't rebuilding. We are trying to win a super bowl and we did not do what we needed to do in free agency. We did what we do EVERY year in the draft and let the BPA come to us.

Our o line sucks but I'm happy we didn't waste picks on Online just because we needed lineman. That's not smart
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 12:59 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I thought it was funny this was supposedly a bad OL class. 2 of the patriots 4 picks were OL. Needless to say I wont be surprised if they found a good one

Ppl gotta get off of the Patriots jock like seriously.

They've had as many shitty picks as any team in the league
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 12:57 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Roderick Johnson instead of elliot is my first choice.

To meet the criteria i would say any of the 3 tackles that went after Josh malone and before Glasgow in 4. My preference being Banner then Sharpe then Davenport.

Erickson made me a fan. Being 7 deep at WR means he is the first to go imo. Would have rather had one of those mammoth potential tackles to develop.

I didnt spend much time looking at Deilman video. But what i saw meshed with what Kiper said. Guy is on the ground too much. I dont know why we are all of a sudden going for zone blocking linemen and getting away from power. This is the AFC North. Every team plays outside.

To develop.  In other words, no one to help this year anyway.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I agree with Bfine. Obviously, it would have been great if there was the perfect Olineman for us at our 2nd or 3rd round choice, but the value just wasn't there.

I think Pocic or Elflein would have been a reach at 41/48, especially considering they would not start over Bodine. You know it's true. The Bengals coaches are very stubborn and drafting a center in the 2nd round would have been a waste of a pick.

I would have taken them in the third, but they weren't there.

There was definitely not value in the first round. We could have had Antonio Garcia in the third, but Willis is a better value and also fills a major need.

Dorian Johnson was taken 1 pick before us in the 4th round, otherwise he is likely a Bengal. Sure, we could have attempted to trade up in the 4th round to get there, but that needs 2 partners to trade and it would have likely cost us a 6th round pick.

At 4B we could have gotten David Sharpe or Julién Davenport, but neither of those guys are starting for us this year so...no improvement in the forthcoming season.

Honestly, I think the only player that I would have liked to draft that we didn't was Asiata. Other than that, it's almost exclusively guys that "got away" due to our draft position.
Reply/Quote
Now what I would like to see is us pick up one or 2 more Olinemen in FA for depth or in case Ced goes to shit

Reply/Quote
I don't think there was one. Elflein would've been worth a late second/early third considering his utility aspect, and he should be playing sooner rather than later.

But I don't think there was anyone that would've upgraded this year's (2017) line.
Reply/Quote
At our picks, the value wasn't really there. i really think they are ok with addressing it next year. Now if we have another six win season, it could be argued that this draft is the first phase of turning this team over. If they draft offensive lineman and linebackers next year, they will have a lot of youth everywhere at almost all positions.
Reply/Quote