Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
What have the Bengals been doing right.
First of all please don't turn this into another argument about how the Bengals suck no matter what.  I am not claiming that the Bengals have been great over the last decade.  I am not saying anyone should be satisfied with what they have done over the last decade, but the fact is that the Bengals have outperformed a lot of the other teams in the league over the last 10 years.

-They had a better winning percentage than 19 teams despite playing in the toughest divisions in the league.
-They were 9th in wins against playoff teams.
-They were 8th in wins against teams that finished with a winning record.
-Only 3 teams made the playoffs more than them.

So no matter how much you like to complain about the Bengals you have to admit they had to be doing something better than many other teams.

What was it?
Reply/Quote
Random OT factoid I just discovered. Only 9 teams made the playoffs at least 6 times in the last decade. 3 of those 9 teams are in the AFCN. No other division has more than 1.
Reply/Quote
Drafting well after the 1st RD:

Carlos
Geno
Whit
Burfict
Boling
Williams
Andy
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 10:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Drafting well after the 1st RD:

Carlos
Geno
Whit
Burfict
Boling
Williams
Andy

Boyd
Mixon
Iloka
Bates
Bernard
Lawson

They really have done well at finding talent later on in the draft. Definitely one of the positive points about this franchise.
Reply/Quote
They've had some good players. Won some big games and for a few years, were considered a top-10 team. Not that long ago, either.
It could happen again. We all hope it does. Still have the best helmets in football.
Reply/Quote

Interesting fact about Bengal first round picks.

The Bengals have drafted 3 Pro Bowl players (Green, Eifert, Gresham) in the first round over the last ten years.  That is 17th in the league but it is a six way tie for 17th.  So only 10 teams have fewer.  

Only 9 teams have more than 4.

The Vikings and Cowboys have the most (7), and 4 teams are tied for last with just 1 (Bal, Tenn, Jax, Ari)

The Browns (4) have one more than the Bengals, but they have had 15 first round picks in the last 10 years.

The Bengals have the same number as the Patriots (3), but NE has only had 7 first round picks.

Please don't start on how meaningless Pro Bowl selections are.  That was the only quick, simple way I could compare all the teams.   It would take forever for me to calculate something like "games started" or "seasons as starter".
Reply/Quote
I think our coaching has been underrated.

Zimmer was an elite DC.

Gruden and Jackson were both good OCs.

Marvin was better than a lot of people will ever give him credit for.
Reply/Quote
Fred’s favorite band...

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRQ-M6Yls6o8LX6c6Xj0...GbX-28Y28a]

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 10:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First of all please don't turn this into another argument about how the Bengals suck no matter what.  I am not claiming that the Bengals have been great over the last decade.  I am not saying anyone should be satisfied with what they have done over the last decade, but the fact is that the Bengals have outperformed a lot of the other teams in the league over the last 10 years.

-They had a better winning percentage than 19 teams despite playing in the toughest divisions in the league.

So no matter how much you like to complain about the Bengals you have to admit they had to be doing something better than many other teams.

What was it?

I'd give Marvin most of the credit for what was done right as the things you mentioned were things Mike Brown had never accomplished before Marvin arrived.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 11:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Fred’s favorite band...

This calls for the Nicomo Cosca emoji.  .  .  

Cry
Reply/Quote
They are good at drafting an average college quarterback n turning him a average starter for 8 years with no upside.
Reply/Quote
Spin spin spin. They choke in the playoffs and most big games. No playoff wins since 1991; there is zero spin for that. The owner is pathetic
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote

Carlos
Geno
Whit
Burfict
Boling
Williams
Andy

this * 1000.

We were also pretty good at beating average teams who we should have at PBS most of those years.

Before anyone goes negative...yes I know beating SB calibre teams on the road etc is the sign of a great team etc.  but to log the number of wins over that period we largely took care of business on our field against middle of the road teams.   
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 10:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First of all please don't turn this into another argument about how the Bengals suck no matter what.  I am not claiming that the Bengals have been great over the last decade.  I am not saying anyone should be satisfied with what they have done over the last decade, but the fact is that the Bengals have outperformed a lot of the other teams in the league over the last 10 years.

What was it?

For one thing, starting in 2010, they absolutely crushed several drafts in a row.  That's how they went to 5 consecutive playoffs.

For a while after the 2010 reboot, they absolutely crushed coordinator and position coach hires.....another reason for the postseason trips.

Aside from Pac Man, they stayed away from the guys who were always in trouble off the field.

Right now, things grew stale, and a complete coaching overhaul was needed.  Let's hope it pans out.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 10:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Random OT factoid I just discovered.  Only 9 teams made the playoffs at least 6 times in the last decade.  3 of those 9 teams are in the AFCN.  No other division has more than 1.

Tough ass division, no question.

Reply/Quote

Carlos
Geno
Whit
Burfict
Boling
Williams
Andy

(04-04-2019, 10:48 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Boyd
Mixon
Iloka
Bates
Bernard
Lawson

They really have done well at finding talent later on in the draft. Definitely one of the positive points about this franchise.

Excellent point gentlemen, goes more in depth to my point about drafts.  

Reply/Quote
Since the organization is not a big player in free agency, they MUST draft and develop well, and they did that during the run of playoff appearances. What killed this team was the drafting of Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Ross and they are still paying for it.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 02:44 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Spin spin spin. They choke in the playoffs and most big games. No playoff wins since 1991; there is zero spin for that. The owner is pathetic

They did turn the words "playoffs" and "prime-time" into dirty words. LOL
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have done some things right lately.

-They fired Paul Alexander
-They fired most of the old coaching staff and brought in someone new and exciting yet untested.
-They released Burfict and did not sign Adam Jones
-They have the coolest helmets!
-They have stayed in Cincinnati.
-Mike Brown's role has diminished and the "new" brass has more input (for better or worse)

They have an animal from the cat family to represent the Bengals and I love cats!
[Image: 8lMoUpf.jpg]  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 11:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Fred’s favorite band...

(04-05-2019, 02:44 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Spin spin spin. They choke in the playoffs and most big games. No playoff wins since 1991; there is zero spin for that. The owner is pathetic

I don't think you guys get the point of this thread.  I just posted proof that the Bengals out performed many other teams in the league over the last decade and I wanted to know what they did right to accomplish that.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, but if you really have no clue could you just stay out of this thread please.  There are plenty of other threads where you can post your opinions.  And you are free to start your own threads.  

I find it curious that you feel you have to post in a thread when you have no knowledge of the subject of the thread.  Why is that?
Reply/Quote