Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have we learned in the past few weeks?
The biggest, most obvious thing to me is that in spite of some speculation, the team has not quit on the coaching staff. Perhaps a little heat from media and personalities on social media may have inspired some rethinking on the part of the staff, or not. Whatever the case, weather it be a collective gathering of professional pride on part of the players, or the coaching staff taking an introspective look and making some necessary changes, it seems to be working.

I'm sure that it must be reassuring to Joe Burrow to see the team double down and solidify their resolve while he is rehabbing. Some may call these latest two wins "meaningless", but I guarantee that they mean a hell of a lot to every man who wears the striped helmet. How nice will it be to get Joe back, and have a team that believes in itself for Joe to come back to?

What I think I know:

Brandon Allen deserves a secure deal to remain as Joe's backup going forward.

With XSF at LG and Spain at RG, the interior of the OL has seemed to stop the bleeding. Teams can no longer pass rush up the gut at will, and we seem to be getting better push in the run game. I hope that they sign Spain to a 3 year deal, and keep him around until the next permanent Guard of the future is drafted and properly developed. I still think they need a bona fide stud at Tackle, either to pair with Williams, or assume his spot should he never achieve full greatness. Missing 75% of his games due to injury in his first two years is a bit concerning to me. That is partly why I have been such a die hard on the Penei Sewell bandwagon.

Our backup RBs are pretty good. We all knew what Gio Bernard was capable of, when used properly. Samaje Perine has shown to be worth keeping around, as well. Not the quickest out of the gate, but dude has a second gear when in open territory. Given a crease, those massive thighs just keep churning, not bad hands either.

Tee Higgins is for real, he will be a modest to medium star in this league. Boyd is going to continue to be Boyd: steady, dependable, not one for the defense to sleep on. AJ Green looked like absolute dog shit to start the year. However, in the past month or so, he's gotten his rhythm back on, and is looking much like his old self. Part of me would like to see him signed to a modest 3 year deal, and retire as a Bengal. (He may be looking for one last huge payday) After that, WR gets a bit murky. Erickson looked clutch a few times today, but typically he's a non factor. Would like to see an over the top, role player WR signed in free agency, while a mid round pick is drafted and developed to complete the game day 5.

Drew Sample is NOT a bum, and he indeed CAN find the end zone, as was proven today. Ninja Yes, we need another TE, NO I don't feel like we need to take Kyle Pitts with our top pick. This team doesn't utilize the TE position nearly enough to justify ignoring fundamental position group NEEDS in favor of a shiny, new weapon.

On defense:

Too much to cram into this post. We can discuss that one in another thread.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Drew Sample is still a pedestrian player.

They need a bona-fide TE.

Just because Taylor "doesn't use them" is not an excuse to abuse the position.

Zac NEEDS to learn how to use them and value the position.

Reaching for Sample in the draft made absolutely no sense and still doesn't.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 11:39 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Drew Sample is still a pedestrian player.

They need a bona-fide TE.

Just because Taylor "doesn't use them" is not an excuse to abuse the position.

Zac NEEDS to learn how to use them and value the position.

Reaching for Sample in the draft made absolutely no sense and still doesn't.

This.

I also really wish people would stop with the “shiny new toy” stuff. It’s a very outdated way to look at the game. Yes the trenches will always be important, but so are good weapons. The league is completely geared towards offense now, and it’s best to have as many good ones as you can. Just look at KC. They had the best QB, the best TE, one of the best WR’s (certainly one of the fastest), but they still went out and got a Sammy Watkins, and just used a 1st round pick on a RB.

This team will go as far as Joe Burrow can take them. They should give him every possible advantage.

Reply/Quote
Yeah I'm feeling better about the guard situation. I think we get an upgrade at tackle and our line is much improved. I'm good with our receivers as is, but I would like an upgrade at te.

Honestly, for me, my biggest issue going forward is tackle and 2-3 spots on defense
Reply/Quote
My major observation is that the defense could use another pass rusher so they get more consistent pressure. Defense looks to be improving though.

Alex Erickson caught everything today—I think all of his catches were for 1st downs and I didn’t see any drops. For a 4th/5th receiver and backup slot receiver, he is simply not going to get much playing time. He’s been dependable on special teams so I’m completely fine with him as our 5th string wide receiver.

Tee and Boyd are legit. Could use another wideout to replace AJ.

We looked pretty good at tight end when Uzo was healthy. I agree though; at this point we could definitely invest a mid round pick on a tight end.

Guards look better. Still would like to see some investment in the tackle/guard positions in the offseason.

Allen looks solid as a backup for Burrow.

The focus should be offensive line, pass rusher, corner, adding one wr and one TE, resign Lawson, Alexander, and WJ3 if they aren’t planning on drafting a corner high. AJ can walk if need be.

Our running back depth looks really good.
Reply/Quote
I disagree about AJ and it’s funny because I made a thread about keeping him not too long ago. I’ve changed my mind. I don’t think he lacks the speed, he just seems to lack focus and desire.

He used to fight for balls and have some swagger. Now he drops it and cries into the turf or in his hands. Idk if sitting out for so long domesticated the animal in him or what but he just doesn’t look to be invested like he once was.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 11:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This.

I also really wish people would stop with the “shiny new toy” stuff. It’s a very outdated way to look at the game. Yes the trenches will always be important, but so are good weapons. The league is completely geared towards offense now, and it’s best to have as many good ones as you can. Just look at KC. They had the best QB, the best TE, one of the best WR’s (certainly one of the fastest), but they still went out and got a Sammy Watkins, and just used a 1st round pick on a RB.

This team will go as far as Joe Burrow can take them. They should give him every possible advantage.

they also have a competent OL.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 11:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I disagree about AJ and it’s funny because I made a thread about keeping him not too long ago. I’ve changed my mind. I don’t think he lacks the speed, he just seems to lack focus and desire.

He used to fight for balls and have some swagger. Now he drops it and cries into the turf or in his hands. Idk if sitting out for so long domesticated the animal in him or what but he just doesn’t look to be invested like he once was.
He really looks tentative and protecting himself.

AJ would probably do best #3 wr on another team.

He won't leave it all on the field here sad to say.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 11:59 PM)ah5 Wrote: they also have a competent OL.

Nobody is saying ignore the line.

Just don't de-value the TE position either.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 11:59 PM)ah5 Wrote: they also have a competent OL.

I’m totally fine with investing in the OL. I wanted Sewell probably more than anyone. But you can’t ignore the skill positions either. If a Chase or Pitts can help this team (they would) take them. You can upgrade the OL in FA or other rounds. Can you get a TE like Pitts (with double digit TD potential) in FA?

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:02 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: He really looks tentative and protecting himself.

AJ would probably do best #3 wr on another team.

He won't leave it all on the field here sad to say.

I think he worries about getting re-injured and it prevents him for going for balls like he once did.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think he worries about getting re-injured and it prevents him for going for balls like he once did.

Absolutely.
Reply/Quote
Sticking with the OP's Offense only theme.

Things I've learned/think I knew:

XSF and Spain are better than MJ and Redmond

Fred Johnson should never play anywhere other than LT

Tee Higgins can be a true #1

Allen is a fine back up QB

An upgrade at TE may be more important than folks think
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 11:50 PM)Benton Wrote: Yeah I'm feeling better about the guard situation. I think we get an upgrade at tackle and our line is much improved. I'm good with our receivers as is, but I would like an upgrade at te.

Honestly, for me, my biggest issue going forward is tackle and 2-3 spots on defense

They need speed, albeit at WR or TE, but they desperately need it. Smith of Pitts would be just fine.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Don't forget we still has Uzomah who had 8 receptions in 1 and a half games this season, including Joe's first career passing TD, which was a pretty route.

I just don't think TE is going to be a priority, especially not with our top 5/10 pick. I know Pitts is considered an elite TE prospect but I still think there is value at the slot in bigger positions of need like Slater at OT, Chase at WR (assuming we let Ross and Green go) or Surtain at CB, assuming we let WJ3 walk. I'm sure there are some elite pass rushers available that we desperately need as well.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 11:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I disagree about AJ and it’s funny because I made a thread about keeping him not too long ago. I’ve changed my mind. I don’t think he lacks the speed, he just seems to lack focus and desire.

Some people just get older and lose it. There is nothing wrong with that.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think he worries about getting re-injured and it prevents him for going for balls like he once did.

Funny thing is when Chad was playing injured many piled on him for "alligator arming" catches.

Later to find out he actually had a difficult time lifting one of his arms.

No disrespect to AJ because he might actually not be fully healthy. 

It's easy to ***** about his tag $ but it's hard to know physically what he's going through.

Mad respect for him but his time here should probably be done.

He's one player that a change of scenery might be good for his mental health as well to get him serviceable again.

We shall see.
Reply/Quote
Also, it’s amazing how much better the line has got without awful LG play. They’ve went from abysmal to serviceable. Will be interested to see how they fair next week vs Ratbirds. Texans d-line was plagued by injuries. Steelers we relied on defense playing insane and Ben looking like he’s 80 years old. Let’s see how they do next week
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

He made a critical catch, contested by the DB today, made an impressive grab in traffic on the Left side, and also turned on the juice and made a nice reaching grab on the sidelines. All "classic AJ Green" type of plays.

Fans should not allow "their vision" of what should happen with the team cloud their reality of how the management of the team actually does things.  I get the feeling that the Brown/Blackburn family absolutely loves AJ Green, and would like nothing more than for him to retire as a Bengal.  So, don't be surprised if they do manage to work out a 3 year contract with him. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:13 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Sticking with the OP's Offense only theme.

Things I've learned/think I knew:

XSF and Spain are better than MJ and Redmond

Fred Johnson should never play anywhere other than LT

Tee Higgins can be a true #1

Allen is a fine back up QB

An upgrade at TE may be more important than folks think

I'd say speed at wr. Could you imagine Chase with Higgins and Boyd?

Man if they could use Pitts right, he'd be dynamic. But, I feel like they'd have him blocking.
Reply/Quote