Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if Scenario...?
(12-21-2020, 05:59 PM)jason Wrote: Oh I know... I'm more invested in the Reds and Bengals than in other sports. If I had to I could become an Indians or whoever they are now fan... Football would be tough. I lost my NBA team when the Sonics moved, so I latched on to LeBron. I can't get behind the Lakers though, and I'm trying to become a Knicks fans since they just took Obie Toppin. It should be comfortable since they suck, but it's hard.

I'd probably just play fantasy football, and be done with the NFL if the Bengals leave.

I'm right there with ya.  I was a diehard Sonics fan.

It was a total shock what that POS ownership purposely did to get out.

Just curious... is there anything in the works to try to bring a team back?

People not from the northwest haven't a clue how huge the Sonics were in popularity in Seattle back then.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 09:10 PM)grampahol Wrote: Am I a bad person for kind of hoping covid 19 would've killed off the entire Brown family when it had a chance?

Yes. 

Do you wish death on someone who screws up your mcdonald's order? When the Walmart worker overcharges you?

As to the op, I've never left far western ky. I'm a fan of the bengals based on memories I had as a kid in the 80s. Geographically, it doesn't matter to me. Hell, I'm four hours closer to the titans and was three hours closer to the Rams in STL, but I was a bengals fan.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 05:39 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not a chance.  I live here.  My attatchment is to the city not the Brown family's product.

If they were to leave they'd easily become my most hated team in the entire league.  I'd root for the Steelers every single time they played them.  I'd root for everyone against them, every year, and in every game.

Sums up my feelings nicely.  **** them.

I'd just roll my fandom over to the Lions full time, I suspect.  Would have to get Direct TV and Sunday ticket, I suppose. I usually listen to their games when the Bengals aren't on at the same time, like yesterday.   I have some gear, and have rooted for them since the '80s, though mostly in a part-time fashion.  Their fans sound a lot like ours, and the season's usually over weeks before Thanksgiving.  So, it would be an easy transition.

Seems sadder now that I typed it all out Sad
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 10:04 PM)Benton Wrote: Yes. 

Do you wish death on someone who screws up your mcdonald's order? When the Walmart worker overcharges you?

As to the op, I've never left far western ky. I'm a fan of the bengals based on memories I had as a kid in the 80s. Geographically, it doesn't matter to me. Hell, I'm four hours closer to the titans and was three hours closer to the Rams in STL, but I was a bengals fan.

You're most likely closer to the Colts as well. 

As a kid in rural central KY I was a Dallas fan, because that's all we knew. 

Damn my dad for taking that promotion in Cincy. I'm sure he could have gotten something in Boston
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm a Bengals fan for life. I have moved around the country a lot so it wouldn't be a big difference either way. When I lived in Ohio I would have felt differently. Whether it is the Cincinnati Bengals, San Antonio Bengals or Osaka Bengals for that matter as long as they beat the Stealers every 12 games or so I am a fan.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 08:56 PM)samhain Wrote: I doubt that I'd go out of my way to root for the Brown family franchise in another city, whatever unfortunate cursed town that may end up being.  

I doubt I could root for another team like I currently do the Bengals.  It really wouldn't mean much.  I mean, if the Bengals actually won a title or went deep into the playoffs, it would almost feel unreal at this point.  No other team would be that way for me after all I've seen happen with this one.  

I could favor some of the NFC North teams.  I guess the Bears are pretty cool.  The Vikings would be acceptable if Zimmer was still kicking around.  The Lions, sadly are most likely, since my in-laws are Lions fans.  I could sort-of see the Ratbirds being an option.  I hate them less that than Pittsburgh and Cleveland, and it might be fun to root for a team that has a chance to beat both of their asses twice a year, and maybe even the new Brown family outfit if they remained in-division.  

Oh well.  Hopefully it doesn't go down like that.  The best outcome would be the family leaving and getting another ownership group in Cincy, but that seems unlikely to impossible.

It would be almost all of this for me too. I liked the Bengals back when I was a kid due to their name, uniforms and my living in central and southwestern parts of Ohio.  I don't live anywhere near Ohio now, and if they moved I would be nearly as happy to be ridden of the misery of rooting for this incompetent ownership as I would be to watch them win a playoff game while still in Cincinnati. If they move I would probably root for the Ravens and in the NFC North the Packers. I might also try to stop watching the NFL altogether,  but still happily root for whoever's playing Pittsburgh if I happened to catch their game by accident. 
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 10:01 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm right there with ya.  I was a diehard Sonics fan.

It was a total shock what that POS ownership purposely did to get out.

Just curious... is there anything in the works to try to bring a team back?

People not from the northwest haven't a clue how huge the Sonics were in popularity in Seattle back then.

I know the city of Seattle hasn't given up, and there are several grass roots organizations that keep lobbying for an expansion Sonics. They were in line to get the Kings a few years back, but Kevin Johnson pulled a lot of strings as the mayor of Sacramento and helped get a new deal for an arena. A bunch of Sonics fans showed up to a Kings game when all that was going on to show support for Sacramento... In other words; they didn't want another city's team.

But yeah... It's beyond ****** up how the Sonics leaving happened. The NBA was complicit at the time too. The sad part is that younger fans really don't know about the team, and guys like Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp aren't really seen for how great they were because there is no organization to honor or celebrate them... Shawn Kemp's not even in the Hall of Fame.

But yeah... The Sonics were as popular as Seahawks and the Griffey Mariners back then. I went to a Sonics game when I was 21 or 22... It was nuts! Key Arena is a lil smaller than most arenas, and it really loud, but in top of that the in game experience was really good.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Probably become a fan of Red Zone and whatever team is playing Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
I doubt I'd follow any team with the same passion I have the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2020, 12:57 AM)jason Wrote: I know the city of Seattle hasn't given up, and there are several grass roots organizations that keep lobbying for an expansion Sonics. They were in line to get the Kings a few years back, but Kevin Johnson pulled a lot of strings as the mayor of Sacramento and helped get a new deal for an arena. A bunch of Sonics fans showed up to a Kings game when all that was going on to show support for Sacramento... In other words; they didn't want another city's team.

But yeah... It's beyond ****** up how the Sonics leaving happened. The NBA was complicit at the time too. The sad part is that younger fans really don't know about the team, and guys like Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp aren't really seen for how great they were because there is no organization to honor or celebrate them... Shawn Kemp's not even in the Hall of Fame.

But yeah... The Sonics were as popular as Seahawks and the Griffey Mariners back then. I went to a Sonics game when I was 21 or 22... It was nuts! Key Arena is a lil smaller than most arenas, and it really loud, but in top of that the in game experience was really good.

Yeah it's a big disappointment what happened to Seattle. It was a shame the 1995 Sonics didn't win the finals and never made it back again. Maybe if they had won it,  the Sonics don't end up moving. But the greedy owner would have probably done it anyway. I honestly don't think cincy fans would be too devastated if the Bengals move,  if their ownership keeps continuing on their current trend for another six years. Maybe if things change soon and the Bengals become a serious championship contender,  the fans would be devastated. But if they become that good,  the city probably would do a whole lot to keep them in Cincinnati anyways and the move would not be allowed to happen.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 05:52 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Yeah it's a big disappointment what happened to Seattle. It was a shame the 1995 Sonics didn't win the finals and never made it back again. Maybe if they had won it,  the Sonics don't end up moving. But the greedy owner would have probably done it anyway. I honestly don't think cincy fans would be too devastated if the Bengals move,  if their ownership keeps continuing on their current trend for another six years. Maybe if things change soon and the Bengals become a serious championship contender,  the fans would be devastated. But if they become that good,  the city probably would do a whole lot to keep them in Cincinnati anyways and the move would not be allowed to happen.

Championship or no, it would've happened in Seattle. They were sold to a guy dead set on moving them to OKC. They'd just paid millions to renovate Key Arena. The Seahawks and Mariners' stadiums had just been built... Then this guy comes in and says he can't make money playing in that arena. He needs a new one. David Stern of course backed this guy's demand of a new arena, and basically facilitated the move... From Seattle to janky ass Oklahoma City. What makes it worse is that at that time they had Kevin Durant, AND had just drafted Russell Westbrook.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 06:05 PM)jason Wrote: Championship or no, it would've happened in Seattle. They were sold to a guy dead set on moving them to OKC. They'd just paid millions to renovate Key Arena. The Seahawks and Mariners' stadiums had just been built... Then this guy comes in and says he can't make money playing in that arena. He needs a new one. David Stern of course backed this guy's demand of a new arena, and basically facilitated the move... From Seattle to janky ass Oklahoma City. What makes it worse is that at that time they had Kevin Durant, AND had just drafted Russell Westbrook.

Yup. Going from one of the most rabid fanatical NBA cities to a college football city. Doesn't make sense.  I hope I'm not underestimating OKC as an NBA city. 

I would say Seattle is really snake bit, but the Seahawks have really energized the city with a SB win. At this point I'd have to say Cindy fans have it the roughest in all of the NFL. I mean there are teams that haven't been to a SB, but no group of fans has had to wait 30 years and counting just to see a playoff win. If the Bengals don't look like they will get a playoff win and contend for championships in the next six years with JB, I'd be very happy to say good riddance and not be a fan if they end up moving. And I'm sure 30 to 50 percent of Bengals fans if not more would feel the same way. 
Reply/Quote
I live in Northeast PA. I'd go with Burrow and the boys wherever they moved. It probably be for the better if Brown sold..
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 06:39 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Yup. Going from one of the most rabid fanatical NBA cities to a college football city. Doesn't make sense.  I hope I'm not underestimating OKC as an NBA city. 

I would say Seattle is really snake bit, but the Seahawks have really energized the city with a SB win. At this point I'd have to say Cindy fans have it the roughest in all of the NFL. I mean there are teams that haven't been to a SB, but no group of fans has had to wait 30 years and counting just to see a playoff win. If the Bengals don't look like they will get a playoff win and contend for championships in the next six years with JB, I'd be very happy to say good riddance and not be a fan if they end up moving. And I'm sure 30 to 50 percent of Bengals fans if not more would feel the same way. 

How it all happened aside, OKC is pretty fanatical for the Thunder. That team has really taken off there and they are super popular.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 07:26 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: How it all happened aside, OKC is pretty fanatical for the Thunder. That team has really taken off there and they are super popular.

Fair enough. I figured they really love them based on some of the playoff games I've seen there on tv. That's why I didn't want to come off as if I knew about the full story. Closest I ever was to Oklahoma was a trip to Jefferson City I think.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 10:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're most likely closer to the Colts as well. 

As a kid in rural central KY I was a Dallas fan, because that's all we knew. 

Damn my dad for taking that promotion in Cincy. I'm sure he could have gotten something in Boston

Hmmm, not sure, never been there. 

Around here it's mostly steeler fans and titans fans. Even when the Rams were in STL there weren't a lot of kentucky fans.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 08:49 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Fair enough. I figured they really love them based on some of the playoff games I've seen there on tv. That's why I didn't want to come off as if I knew about the full story. Closest I ever was to Oklahoma was a trip to Jefferson City I think.

OKC hosted the New Orleans Hornets after Katrina. They did a really good job of supporting that nomadic team. I believe San Antonio did the same for the Saints.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2020, 09:14 PM)jason Wrote: OKC hosted the New Orleans Hornets after Katrina. They did a really good job of supporting that nomadic team. I believe San Antonio did the same for the Saints.

Yes, I believe that's when all the talk about San Antonio being a great city for an NFL team started.
Reply/Quote