Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if we win the Super Bowl next year?
Before I begin, let me state, for the record, that I officially want a new Head Coach. I'm grateful to Marvin for somehow working with Mike Brown and building a team worth following. Lewis took us from a laughingstock to regular playoff contender. However, it seems we've gone as far as we can with the man and it looks as though we might be seeing a return to losing ways.

In any event, I was wondering, how would I feel if we won the Super Bowl next season? I know it's highly unlikely to win with a coach that continually uses players that are literally costing us games (*cough*Og*cough*Nuge*cough). But, let's say it happens. They address the offensive line in such a way this offseason that it becomes even better than it was pre-206 AND the new kicker that we get is the best kicker Cincy has ever had, Zampese coaches far better than any OC in the league and Guenther does better than Zimmer ever did and so on and so on and we WIN the Super Bowl.Does it matter? Do we THEN want Lewis to be back YET AGAIN? Or do we at least accept it with minimal complaints?

I'll be honest, I'd consider it if we just make the Super Bowl. And we all know that all Lewis needs to do is either get a first round bye or a single playoff win or probably even just make the playoffs, and Brown will bring him back. BUT, the question is is there anything that can happen that will allow you to accept Lewis returning for at least 1 more year as head coach of the Bengals?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
IF we win a Super Bowl...then yes you bring Lewis back.

That said...it's highly improbable.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 01:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF we win a Super Bowl...then yes you bring Lewis back.

That said...it's highly improbable.

This
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think we could win a super bowl with additions to the Dline, WR core, a new center, and a coverage LB. The problem is I have no confidence that we will improve those positions.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I think even making the Super Bowl is enough to bring him back. Winning 1 playoff game tho, I dont know. But winning at least 2 I would probably be ok with it to be honest. Of course I say that knowing there is a better chance of me winning the mega-millions, but yeah.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 01:18 PM)J24 Wrote: I think we could win a super bowl with additions to the Dline, WR core,  a new center, and a coverage LB. The problem is I have no confidence that we will improve those positions.

Agreed. Our roster has aged to the point that we have a lot of holes to fill. More than we can fill in one offseason.

Likely guys like Jackson, Billings, Westerman, and Vigil will be playing...and when you have that many inexperienced guys playing...you take a step back.

aka We're partially rebuilding.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 01:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Before I begin, let me state, for the record, that I officially want a new Head Coach. I'm grateful to Marvin for somehow working with Mike Brown and building a team worth following. Lewis took us from a laughingstock to regular playoff contender. However, it seems we've gone as far as we can with the man and it looks as though we might be seeing a return to losing ways.

In any event, I was wondering, how would I feel if we won the Super Bowl next season? I know it's highly unlikely to win with a coach that continually uses players that are literally costing us games (*cough*Og*cough*Nuge*cough). But, let's say it happens. They address the offensive line in such a way this offseason that it becomes even better than it was pre-206 AND the new kicker that we get is the best kicker Cincy has ever had, Zampese coaches far better than any OC in the league and Guenther does better than Zimmer ever did and so on and so on and we WIN the Super Bowl.Does it matter? Do we THEN want Lewis to be back YET AGAIN? Or do we at least accept it with minimal complaints?

I'll be honest, I'd consider it if we just make the Super Bowl. And we all know that all Lewis needs to do is either get a first round bye or a single playoff win or probably even just make the playoffs, and Brown will bring him back. BUT, the question is is there anything that can happen that will allow you to accept Lewis returning for at least 1 more year as head coach of the Bengals?

If Lewis can get this team to the AFC Championship game, he deserves another year in my book. Anything else is less than satisfactory.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If Lewis wins even 1 playoff game, I'd say he can stay for another 15 years. I say this because I'm confident he won't.
If he could, he would've already, as we've had some pretty awesome teams over the years.

Mike Brown either doesn't know how to win, doesn't care, or both. He has never won at anything really, except making money. If I had to bet a million dollars one way or another, I'd bet that ML will never take a Bengals team to a Super Bowl.

Actually, we should revive this thread in exactly one year so we can all have a good laugh (and cry) about how we had burned another year seeing if ML could get even get back to the playoffs, much less win there. It's over, but it'll take MB and ML another year to figure it out.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 02:05 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: If Lewis wins even 1 playoff game, I'd say he can stay for another 15 years.  I say this because I'm confident he won't.  
If he could, he would've already, as we've had some pretty awesome teams over the years.  

Mike Brown either doesn't know how to win, doesn't care, or both.  He has never won at anything really, except making money.   If I had to bet a million dollars one way or another, I'd bet that ML will never take a Bengals team to a Super Bowl.

Actually, we should revive this post in exactly one year so we can all have a good laugh (and cry) about how we had burned another year seeing if ML could get even get back to the playoffs, much less win there.  It's over, but it'll take MB and ML another year to figure it out.

I think this team is closer to 5-11 than to winning a Super Bowl.

2 wins from the Browns per year helps boost our record.
Reply/Quote
I think it's happened in the NBA (winning a championship and the following year having a different HC). Would be funny though.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 02:19 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think it's happened in the NBA (winning a championship and the following year having a different HC). Would be funny though.

I'm confident if Marvin wins a SB he will retire, think he's pretty much stated as much
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 02:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I'm confident if Marvin wins a SB he will retire, think he's pretty much stated as much

I would like him to be fired first (after he wins a SB), then retire.

:andy:
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 01:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Before I begin, let me state, for the record, that I officially want a new Head Coach. I'm grateful to Marvin for somehow working with Mike Brown and building a team worth following. Lewis took us from a laughingstock to regular playoff contender. However, it seems we've gone as far as we can with the man and it looks as though we might be seeing a return to losing ways.

Yes, if we won the SB with Marv i would be all for bringing him back.

It won't happen, but i would love to eat that crow. Bet he would retire anyway on that great note.
Reply/Quote
what if we start a dynasty next year and win like 3 superbowls in a row? is andy dalton the greatest quarterback ever
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I'd still want him gone.

But I'd be silent about it.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 02:31 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I'm confident if Marvin wins a SB he will retire, think he's pretty much stated as much

I guess this is his way of keeping his job forever then?
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 04:24 PM)Benton Wrote: Honestly, I'd still want him gone.

But I'd be silent about it.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
Reply/Quote
We are far more likely to lose to Pittsburgh 2 and even 3 times next year than to win a Super Bowl.

whoever said 5-11 is more likely than winning Super Bowl is correct.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2017, 02:35 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I would like him to be fired first (after he wins a SB), then retire.

:andy:
I cannot even imagine Marvelous Marvin winning a SB as a HC anywhere. It definitely won't happen in Cincinnati. Therefore, our speculation is just for fun Tongue . Because to Mikey, our opinions NEVER did matter, NEVER do matter, and NEVER will matter.
Reply/Quote
While the culture of the Bengals has changed compared to the 90's, the problem in general is that there is no one (save maybe old FA's picked up from other teams, I'm not sure), who knows what it takes to win a Super Bowl. I know Marvin has won one as a DC and assistant coach, but none where he was driving everything in the organization as far as the culture on the playing field (other places where he won, the framework was already in place). Mike Brown surely doesn't know nor has the requisite single mindedness required, and the players don't have the experience to know how to raise the stakes in the playoffs (positively that is), nor does the combination of players and coaches know what works, and what doesn't and how to tweak things on the fly during the playoffs. It would require almost a miracle for all this to come together next year, but I do think some of this is just a matter of luck. Some bounces go your way in a game or two and suddenly you're in the AFC championship and win or lose, you now have confidence in yourself, a better understanding of which of your strengths actually works in the playoffs, and this knowledge pays off over a time of 3-4 year windows (even with off years).

While Mike doesn't have this knowledge first hand, and probably is guilty of some of the things fellow posters accuse him of, I'm sure if somehow by luck he won a Super Bowl, he would probably change his ways (if those didn't align with what actually led to winning), going forward to start doing whatever helped him win. For this reason, if by some miracle they win the Super Bowl, I would want Marvin back in some capacity with the Franchise and have a transition into a new coach eventually who can be taught those concepts from Marvin and the players so that this knowledge stays in the Franchise's knowledge bank , so to speak.
Reply/Quote