Poll: What is the worst 2019 record you would accept from Zac & still feel ok about future?
11 and 5 or better - Zac must match or beat Sean McVay’s 1st year as a Head Coach
10 and 6 - would tell me Zac is for real & an up and coming Head Coach; no lower
9 and 7 - Zac wins more than he loses signals a bright future; low as I’ll go
8 and 8 - Zac winning 50% of games 1st year is not a bad sign; I’d still believe
7 and 9 - Zac must at least do better than Marvin’s record in Marvin’s last season here
6 and 10 - Zac must at least match Marvin’s record in Marvin’s last season here
5 and 11 or worse - is ok year 1 since all New Staff & Zac’s first year as a Head Coach
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the worst 2019 record you would accept from Zac & still feel ok about future?
Interesting Poll results:    (assumes the 2019 Team is reasonably healthy)

with 84 total Votes in the Poll:

willing to accept only an above .500 record  =   27 votes or  32.14 %

willing to accept an 8 and 8 record  = 24  votes or 28.57 %

willing to accept a below .500 record  =  33 votes or 39.29 %

67.86 % of Voters are willing to accept a reasonably healthy Bengal team to go 8 and 8 or worse under Zac's leadership in 2019.

Nearly 40 % will accept a below .500 losing record    Mellow
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 12:45 PM)depthchart Wrote: Interesting Poll results:    (assumes the 2019 Team is reasonably healthy)

with 84 total Votes in the Poll:

willing to accept only an above .500 record  =   27 votes or  32.14 %

willing to accept an 8 and 8 record  = 24  votes or 28.57 %

willing to accept a below .500 record  =  33 votes or 39.29 %

67.86 % of Voters are willing to accept a reasonably healthy Bengal team to go 8 and 8 or worse under Zac's leadership in 2019.

Nearly 40 % will accept a below .500 losing record    Mellow
Most of us know that the odds of ZT coming out of the gates looking like the second coming of BB isn't realistic. All Bengals fans would hope he does at least as good as ML did over the last three years but if their is a change in team chemistry and smart coaching decisions that points to future success then I would still be enthusiastic. While eight wins is possible its not guaranteed and if you waited 17 years for Marvin then giving Zac more than one season shouldn't be that difficult.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 03:49 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Most of us know that the odds of ZT coming out of the gates looking like the second coming of BB isn't realistic. All Bengals fans would hope he does at least as good as ML did over the last three years but if their is a change in team chemistry and smart coaching decisions that points to future success then I would still be enthusiastic. While eight wins is possible its not guaranteed and if you waited 17 years for Marvin then giving Zac more than one season shouldn't be that difficult.

I honestly think we may see the biggest return in Year 1 for these reasons:

1 ) The team was stale under Marvin. A new coach changes that.
2 ) New processes/practice methods
3 ) We'll have an offensive and defensive schemes that there is no tape on.
4 ) Our roster isn't getting any younger.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 03:49 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Most of us know that the odds of ZT coming out of the gates looking like the second coming of BB isn't realistic. All Bengals fans would hope he does at least as good as ML did over the last three years but if their is a change in team chemistry and smart coaching decisions that points to future success then I would still be enthusiastic. While eight wins is possible its not guaranteed and if you waited 17 years for Marvin then giving Zac more than one season shouldn't be that difficult.

I don't recall anyone saying if Zac gets less than 8 wins, fire him. The OP asked what would make us happy for the future. If Zac takes a vet team that suffered major injuries in 2018 and had 6 wins and only wins 8 games, I would have serious concerns if Zac was the answer long term.

But, I would not suggest firing him after one year unless he won 3 or less games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 05:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't recall anyone saying if Zac gets less than 8 wins, fire him. The OP asked what would make us happy for the future. If Zac takes a vet team that suffered major injuries in 2018 and had 6 wins and only wins 8 games, I would have serious concerns if Zac was the answer long term.

But, I would not suggest firing him after one year unless he won 3 or less games.

I agree.

The question is "what record would you accept and feel okay about it"?

There's logical reactions.  Then there's feelings.

Logically there is doubt/gray area for a coach that has never been an NFL head coach anywhere.

You'd think that he'd need some growing pains and adjustments with staff/coordinators/schemes and players.

Losing right off the bat and allowing time for those adjustments won't help you feel better about it though.

This team is one of only a few that hasn't won in post-season in decades.

That's why it's surprising that people in this poll accept loss and still feel okay with it when most key positions have decent starters in place.

I could only see this if they aren't supporters of Dalton and don't think he can win despite coaching.

Then yes.  You can accept losing until Zac gets his QB and feel okay with it.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2019, 10:21 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I agree.

The question is "what record would you accept and feel okay about it"?

There's logical reactions.  Then there's feelings.

Logically there is doubt/gray area for a coach that has never been an NFL head coach anywhere.

You'd think that he'd need some growing pains and adjustments with staff/coordinators/schemes and players.

Losing right off the bat and allowing time for those adjustments won't help you feel better about it though.

That's why it's surprising that people in this poll accept loss and still feel okay with it when most key positions have decent starters in place.

I could only see this if they aren't supporters of Dalton and don't think he can win despite coaching.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Well said Rocker!!!
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 05:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't recall anyone saying if Zac gets less than 8 wins, fire him. The OP asked what would make us happy for the future. If Zac takes a vet team that suffered major injuries in 2018 and had 6 wins and only wins 8 games, I would have serious concerns if Zac was the answer long term.

This is the NFL and when people doubt the HC that means they want change. You suffered through ML for a decade and a half and now you want to scrutinize ZT before he even coaches a game. Some people wouldn't be happy even if they were hung with a new rope. Lets let things play out and see his handy work before crying about his performance.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2019, 10:21 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Logically there is doubt/gray area for a coach that has never been an NFL head coach anywhere.

So Zac comes in as the next Sean Mcvay (so to speak) with the young, innovator label; yet that is overshadowed by his lack of Head Coaching experience which is then further over-shadowed by him taking over a Mike Brown team that hasn't won in the Post season in decades.

Fans weigh all of this and set a fairly low bar for Zac to jump over in year one even though he has inherited some decent veteran starters to work with.

Since Mike Brown isn't going anywhere & Zac will be given time by fans to get his feet wet as a New Head Coach; the lightning rod for a poor 2019 team performance will likely be Dalton.

Zac will probably like working with Dalton & vice versa which could lead to Zac wanting to commit to Dalton longer term even if 2019 didn't go that well for the team & especially if it does go well.  -OR-  In 2020, Fans may clamor for that young rookie QB which Zac could be tempted to take in order to put his own personal Stamp on the team and to take some pressure to win soon off of him should 2019 not go well.

Zac may have to decide whether to make a larger financial commitment to Dalton with an extension or get a rookie QB on that rookie contract to set up a really new dey.

Cincy fans seem ready to remain patient based on the circumstances they get presented with & a rookie QB would signal the need for even more fan patience.
Reply/Quote
Well, IF Marvin won 6 games with a severely injured roster and would have won 9 or 10 games healthy...one would have to expect atleast 8-9 wins with this roster I'd say.

Less than 8-9 wins would indicate that the coaching was worse.
Reply/Quote
I believe we habe a great team. The pieces are here. We just need coaches to know how to use them
Reply/Quote
Depends more on effort versus wins, at least at this point, for me. That will change, sooner or later. We still have a division of the new darlings of the Browns, then the world primed for another Pig Ben miracle, with all his weapons gone he still prevails Steelers and RGIV in Baltimore. Who knows.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 09:56 PM)Destro Wrote: Depends more on effort versus wins, at least at this point, for me. That will change, sooner or later. We still have a division of the new darlings of the Browns, then the world primed for another Pig Ben miracle, with all his weapons gone he still prevails Steelers and RGIV in Baltimore. Who knows.

Juju is 22 and had 1418 yards receiving last year for the Steelers. They also had the #1 offensive line according to PFF and have James Connor at RB. I wouldn't say all of his weapons are gone.

Brown and Bell are big losses though, but huge drama in the lockerroom.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 10:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Juju is 22 and had 1418 yards receiving last year for the Steelers. They also had the #1 offensive line according to PFF and have James Connor at RB. I wouldn't say all of his weapons are gone.

Oh, I'm not saying he is working with a JV team over there, just that is a story line that I'm sure would get a lot of play. Add on another unbelievable comeback from an injury just to wrap it all together. The differences between professional football in Pittsburgh and professional wrestling get blurry.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 10:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Juju is 22 and had 1418 yards receiving last year for the Steelers. They also had the #1 offensive line according to PFF and have James Connor at RB. I wouldn't say all of his weapons are gone.

They weathered the storm last year without Bell . Brown was the doubled the most. It remains to be seen is JUJU can keep up his production as the #1 wr. Can Conner stay healthy? The Steelers have as many questions as any team in the division. That being said they always seem to have someone step up when needed. Is it luck or the system?
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2019, 10:39 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: They weathered the storm last year without Bell . Brown was the doubled the most. It remains to be seen is JUJU can keep up his production as the #1 wr. Can Conner stay healthy? The Steelers have as many questions as any team in the division. That being said they always seem to have someone step up when needed. Is it luck or the system?

Having a HOF QB helps.
Reply/Quote
In this Pre-season Poll 84.09 percent of responders would not accept a 5 and 11 record or worse this year by Zac.

What say us all now as we sit at 0 and 6 ?   Do injuries and talent deficiencies on Defense get Zac a Mulligan in Year 1 ?

POLL options Pre-season:  (see Full results in Poll at Top of Thread)

11 and 5 or better - Zac must match or beat Sean McVay’s 1st year as a Head Coach

10 and 6 - would tell me Zac is for real & an up and coming Head Coach; no lower

9 and 7 - Zac wins more than he loses signals a bright future; low as I’ll go

8 and 8 - Zac winning 50% of games 1st year is not a bad sign; I’d still believe

7 and 9 - Zac must at least do better than Marvin’s record in Marvin’s last season here

6 and 10 - Zac must at least match Marvin’s record in Marvin’s last season here

5 and 11 or worse - is ok year 1 since all New Staff & Zac’s first year as a Head Coach    
Reply/Quote
Number will go up from 84%, shoudl be 100%, unacceptable. He seems worthless from what we can see, and isn't that all we can do as armchair fans.
Reply/Quote
I don't know that the record matters. I think the real telling thing is that basically most of the players on the roster have gotten worse.

When that happens...it's REALLY hard to undo. He may be setting this franchise back 5 years.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2019, 06:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ill take 7 wins and/or the evidence of actual development. Our coaching staff is doing a lot on learning on the job, so things might not be instantaneously glorious.

Crap, what was I thinking?
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 08:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Crap, what was I thinking?

You still need to bring me aboard as a life coach.
Reply/Quote