Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What is your favorite Bengals play?
(05-18-2018, 03:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Boomer's play fakes were always a thing of beauty

If we are talking about one certain type of play this would have to be it.

Boomer was the best at play action fakes.  I don't know if he was the one who invented sticking an empty hand in the RBs belly while hiding the ball on his hip but he was the one who perfected it.  And it was so effective because we had a dominating run game.  Number one in the league in '88 when Boomer won his MVP.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 03:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we are talking about one certain type of play this would have to be it.

Boomer was the best at play action fakes.  I don't know if he was the one who invented sticking an empty hand in the RBs belly while hiding the ball on his hip but he was the one who perfected it.  And it was so effective because we had a dominating run game.  Number one in the league in '88 when Boomer won his MVP.

Yeah, a terrific running game coupled with a very effective downfield passing attack. Man, that was a fun team to watch.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 03:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we are talking about one certain type of play this would have to be it.

He's still the best I've ever seen......I don't know if being a lefty played into it any, but I can still see the cameras following the RB, only to have to scramble to cover the ball in the air.  Having JB and Ickey back there certainly made it all the more easier to sell.

(05-18-2018, 03:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, a terrific running game coupled with a very effective downfield passing attack. Man, that was a fun team to watch.

Those were good times.....between Wyche and Bobby Bowden, my Saturdays and Sundays were never dull watching football.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 03:32 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: 1. Ickey Woods celebrating after his second touchdown run in the AFC championship game and the Swat team joining in. Never been so happy in my sports fan life.

2. Stanford Jennings running punt back against the 49'ers in Super Bowl 23. This would rank higher but the outcome ruined that moment for me.

3. Sam Wyche calling a timeout with seconds left on the clock to kick a field goal against Houston to put the final touches on a 61-7 massacre. Once upon a time I hated Houston and Jerry Glanville almost as much as the Steelers now.

4. Corey Dillon running all over the Broncos to set the then rookie rushing record. That was a miserable season with the worse bunch of stiffs playing QB in a Bengals uniform and Dillon brought back interest to the city

5. Burfict's sack of Rotten to "seal" the first playoff victory of the Marvin Lewis Era.  The rest of the game sums up what Bengals Fandom is all about; Just good enough to make you hate football every year.

Actually, the rookie single game rushing record that he set was in 1997, versus the Oilers (246 yds.)  The big game versus Denver was in 2000, where he broke Walter Payton's single game rushing record of 275, by going for 278 versus the Broncos.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
These are all awesome!

And yeah...seems like botched field goals and extra points are a...thing. Oy.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Never seen a momentum flip like the first quarter of the 2014 Monday night game on the road against the 11-3 Broncos.  Bengals seem to always flop in prime time and second possession of the game Dalton throws a pick six to Aqib Talib.  Bronco crowd goes crazy and I feel a long night ahead. On the kickoff the Broncos stuff Adam Jones on the 15 yards line.  Bronco crowd cranks it up even more.  First play Jeremy Hill goes 85 yds to tie the game.  That was the first of 20 straight points for the Bengals that quieted the crowd.  Bengas go on to win 37-28.

This game was played at PBS.
Reply/Quote
When Benson trucked Troy P. and Troy staggered off the field

Ray Lewis cheap shot on Chad and Chad popping right back up

Carson's pass to Henry on the '05 playoff game
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
2003 Bengals beat Pittsburgh with 18 seconds to go at Heinz Field, on a Kitna td pass to Schobel. I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, in the first year of the Marvin era.

Also the third game against the Ravens in 2015 at Baltimore, where Bengals came back from a deficit on A.J Green's touchdown catch.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 05:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ray Lewis cheap shot on Chad and Chad popping right back up

And the penalty set up game winning score, right?

What year was that?

When it happened live at full speed I did not think Chad would get up at all.  It was brutal.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 05:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And the penalty set up game winning score, right?

What year was that?

When it happened live at full speed I did not think Chad would get up at all.  It was brutal.

2009? Believe this was the game (the play happened on the last drive IIRC) where Palmer led the comeback drive in the fourth quarter to win with less than a minute left at Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 05:41 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: 2009? Believe this was the game (the play happened on the last drive IIRC) where Palmer led the comeback drive in the fourth quarter to win with less than a minute left at Baltimore.

Yep.

Fifty seconds left in game.  15 yards moved it from 50 to Ravens 35 yard line.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 05:21 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: This game was played at PBS.

Your right.

don't know why I thought that was in Denver.
Reply/Quote
October 10th 1983 MNF Bengals vs. Steelers

Don Meredith was going on going on about Pete Johnson, how he runs so low to the ground. Just a few plays later Big Pete absolutely trucks Jack Lambert ! Meredith was yelling "Johnson says gimme somebody" !! There were like 6 of 7 of us watching the game half Browns fans, guys I worked with. Even they went nuts. Think this was Cosell's last year or soon thereafter ?

The Simpson flip into the end zone was pretty cool. As mentioned before Peko knocking Polamalu into next week was fun.

More recently Burfict's interception against Steelers was a high with such a low coming.
Reply/Quote

Well you and Wyche stole my thunder.  The play action fake was a thing of beauty and my favorite Bengals play.

And in general, as good as Kenny Anderson (who should be in the hall of fame) was, Boomer was my favorite QB.   He was an awesome field general, had a canon for an arm had the play action fake thing going and got his team playing at a different level.

If only we had paid him to stay after his last season.   We had the horses to be a playoff winning team again.

Oh for the love of money...
Reply/Quote
I remember going to PBS for MNF against Tom Brady and the Patriots when Carson and Chad were fairly new. Even though we lost, it was one of the best shootouts I’ve seen live, or on tv for that matter. Palmer, Johnson and Dillon. What a Monday night game. We were close.

Dec 12, 2004.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 02:40 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I’ll throw two out there. Have to pick one from the crazy 2009 season so I’ll go with the 4th and 10 dive by Brian Leonard to keep the comeback hopes alive. A thrilling play and great effort (plus my name is Leonardfan40 so you know, kinda obligated to throw him in here).

The other would be the Dede Dorsey blocked punt for a TD against Arizona in 2007. I was at that game and it was definitely one of the most exciting plays I’ve ever seen in person. Believe it was the first blocked punt TD for us in over 10 years. Plus DeDe was always fun to watch even though he wasn’t a big name.

That's mine. It was just an amazing play and Leonard would not be denied.

You see him get tackled short, your heart is in your throat and then he sticks down the arm and propels himself the extra 2 yards, getting the FD with an extra yard.

Goosebumps!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 03:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Stanford Jennings' kick return TD in Super Bowl XXIII.
Same.
My favorite Bengale memory (not a play) was Paul Brown doing the Ickey Shuffle.
Reply/Quote
Sucks getting old. My memory isn't as good as it used to be so I'll stick to recent stuff.. Andy to Boyde dashing Baltimore's hopes last year was pretty sweet even though the season was already in the crapper..
In 15 against Seattle we were losing so I went fishing in the back yard.. I live right on a lake.. Anyway, every time they were losing I went fishing that season and they pulled off the W.. I really haven't been fishing since so maybe I will again this season.. 
Me not fishing is the sole reason for the failures of the past few years. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I like the more psychical stuff so here’s a few off the top of my head...

https://youtu.be/huolfNTLgB0

https://youtu.be/2N8jOWviaLA

[Image: genooo.0.gif]

Reply/Quote
As far as general plays that I really enjoy watching: negative yardage or 0 yardage plays by the defense.  In an "offensive league", I really enjoy when the defense looks on point and causes a catastrophic failure for the opposing offense.

Specific plays?  The Peko pancake was a classic.  Anytime that The Rapist has been picked off or sacked in a rough manner(Nelson and Burfict have had some good ones).  
Reply/Quote