Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What non-Burrow, non-oline discussion will you be HAPPY to have week 8 next year?
(07-06-2023, 10:59 AM)Housh Wrote: Every year has a narrative. 2 years ago it was o line. Last year it was the line again. And we all hate constantly talking about the o line.

So what narrative will dominate the board by week 8?

In a perfect world we are talking about Burrow chasing Peyton’s single season TD record, we’re sitting at like 7-1 and we are the class of the AFC.

Worst case we are STILL harping in the o line.

To answer my own question i think the narrative id be most happy to be a thing, week 8 is how we are gonna find minutes for Myles Murphy because he’s playing so good.

We used a 1 rounder on him so fair or not that comes with expectation. I would be giddy to be discussing how we may have to take Hubbard out because Murphy is just doing so well

Maybe it is wishful thinking, but I think of how an improved offensive line and the talent in the WR room allowing for a running game to finally hit a consistent stride.  I hope, and believe, we could be talking about which RB should tote the ball more often as Mixon, Brown, and Williams (my dark horse) have a really strong start to the season.  They may not each be getting 100 yard rushing games, but I could see the YPC being substantially improved.  

I can't imagine how that would unleash the rest of this offense.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 09:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Maybe it is wishful thinking, but I think of how an improved offensive line and the talent in the WR room allowing for a running game to finally hit a consistent stride.  I hope, and believe, we could be talking about which RB should tote the ball more often as Mixon, Brown, and Williams (my dark horse) have a really strong start to the season.  They may not each be getting 100 yard rushing games, but I could see the YPC being substantially improved.  

I can't imagine how that would unleash the rest of this offense.  

If Williams can stay healthy, he may very well open some eyes this season.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2023, 07:43 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Is Pittsburgh still in the league?

I loved this...
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2023, 08:15 PM)sandwedge Wrote: How exactly has Battle shown promise? As far as I know, he has ran around in shorts and a helmet...

He's shown promise by receiving lot of a praise and attention since we drafted him. 
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2023, 07:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The defense is not SUS, it is a lot faster than it was last year and speed kills. Hill is faster, Battle is faster, Scott is faster. And they brought in help for Trey in drafting Murphy. And I suspect Hubbard will be making more noise this year as well.  

Our speed lacks experience. Bates and Bells weren't the fastest safeties around, but they were still one of the biggest reasons we made the Super Bowl two years ago. 
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2023, 10:01 AM)samhain Wrote: This team has learned twice, once at the end of both the Palmer and Dalton eras, that replacing number 2 receivers is much more difficult than it sounds.  The loss of TJ hurt.  If this team had someone better than Laveranues Coles in the 09 playoff game, the offense would have been far less one-dimensional.  Marvin Jones was no Tee Higgins, but the wr corps still declined greatly after he and Sanu left in 16.  This was at a time when Green still had a lot left and Eifert was on the roster as a 2nd option (theoretically, anyway).  

We've seen the casts rotate.  Coles, Antonio Bryant, end of career TO, Brandon LaFell, Denarius Moore, so on and so forth.  It's receiver purgatory with a clear number one and some jobbers that never quite pan out like you think they should, or like the guys you raised up in house.  

This team made some things really obvious this offseason.  They spent a lot of high picks on young defenders.  The first 2 picks of the last 2 drafts have been defenders.  They also took no TE and waited a long time on a RB.  Then, the first offensive guy they took was a WR.  

This team's identity runs through the quarterback and the receivers.  There's zero doubt at this point.  They have done all they can to build a roster with a top dollar quarterback and at least 2 top receivers.  That's just what the are and intend to be for a long time.  I can't say I hate the results so far.

A lot of the "decline" in WR play you're citing had more to do with injuries and a corresponding decline in O-line performance at the same time. Neither Dalton nor Palmer are Joe Burrow and needed talent around them to be successful. Is Burrow a tier above them or not? This is what I was alluding to in an earlier post. 

There are too many people here who say that he is but insist we'll fall off a cliff if he doesn't have top talent at outside of Jamar Chase. Can't have both.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 01:17 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Our speed lacks experience. Bates and Bells weren't the fastest safeties around, but they were still one of the biggest reasons we made the Super Bowl two years ago. 

Yes and last year Bates was suspect at times with his poor tackling and playing not to get hurt. It isn't out of the realm of possiblity 
that Dax Hill and whoever wins the spot next to him become better than Bates and Bell. Bates is a good cover high Safety though.

Dax has a lot to learn to become as good as Bates at this, but Dax has the speed to do it. The athleticism is there. It is the smarts 
and insincts that need to come around at the Safety position this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2023, 05:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'll throw another one out there...
Maybe we're talking Week 8 about whether Irv Smith should stick around after this year, and if so what will/should that contract look like?

Bringing this up again because I remembered posting it.

By the time we go against the next opponent, it will be Week 8.

Irv Smith to-date:
6 receptions
32 yards
5.3 YPR
0 TDs

Not only would I think most people would say they DON'T want Irv Smith back next year, but many may think it'd be worthwhile to make a trade for a TE by the trade deadline so they can actually get some production out of a TE this season.

Gesicki (15 rec, 144 yards, 9.6 YPR in 6 games) might be someone I'm calling to see about.
Patriots are already in the hole and looking like they won't be able to get out.
Offsetting Gesicki can help in their rebuild.

Some might say Ertz or Hurst, but I dunno if the Bengals would want to take on the remainder of those contracts.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 02:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bringing this up again because I remembered posting it.

By the time we go against the next opponent, it will be Week 8.

Irv Smith to-date:
6 receptions
32 yards
5.3 YPR
0 TDs

Not only would I think most people would say they DON'T want Irv Smith back next year, but many may think it'd be worthwhile to make a trade for a TE by the trade deadline so they can actually get some production out of a TE this season.

Gesicki (15 rec, 144 yards, 9.6 YPR in 6 games) might be someone I'm calling to see about.
Patriots are already in the hole and looking like they won't be able to get out.
Offsetting Gesicki can help in their rebuild.

Some might say Ertz or Hurst, but I dunno if the Bengals would want to take on the remainder of those contracts.

Good stuff. All for trading for Gesicki or another upgrade at TE. I love that Drew Sample has been the best blocking TE in the 
NFL this year but he brings next to nothing as a pass catcher same as Irv Smith it seems.

Must add that Dax Hill has been very good this year as I predicted, Nick Scott? Not so much. I am for starting Battle after the 
bye week or Tycen Anderson over Scott.
Reply/Quote
how good the corners have been
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2023, 05:53 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: How the Bengals can crush the 49er’s and whether the Red’s will win the world series. Wink  

Well the Reds let me down but the Bengals came through big time! Great game, great Win!
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2023, 01:17 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Our speed lacks experience. Bates and Bells weren't the fastest safeties around, but they were still one of the biggest reasons we made the Super Bowl two years ago. 

Safeties are playing admirably, but they're overdue for some youngin mistakes down the stretch.
Reply/Quote