Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What player was your biggest disappointment this year.
Joe Mixon.

Serious.

He showed that he can't carry this team. If Bernard had his size and supposed talent, he would easily be the best RB on the team. Unfortunately the guy with the desire and heart is not as big as he needs to be to be the feature back, and we are stuck with Mixon.

I already know a lot of people on here love Mixon. I just don't agree with the assessment of those people. Mixon is slow to the hole, scared of contact and runs tentatively.

The Oline gets the blame and they should, but I think a talented and good RB could carry this a lot better than Mixon did.

OK, Offense out of the way.

Defense. WJ3.

About the same with Mixon, he seems to shy away from making contact. Now as a PD player, he is good and even one of the best. However when the WR makes the catch, I don't want to see any lacking effort to tackle them.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Your selections of Malone, Redmond, and Burfict were some of mine as well.
I also was disappointed in Willis. I had him as a darkhorse after a full offseason and strong preseason. I think he bulked up too much and it affected him in a negative way (think ascended Super Saiyan).
Last, I was disappointed that Westerman didn't become a starter, but I don't think it was anything he did or didn't do well in games in particular. I still think he deserves a shot to start somewhere on the interior of this OL.

EDIT - Price disappointed me too. He wasn't my favorite C prospect but I thought he still would have been (much) better than he has to this point. I'm no longer able to watch Bengals games on local TV since early October nor do I pay for Sunday Ticket, so I haven't been able to watch that much of him in particular. I've been mainly going off what I've seen reported online and what games I have been able to catch on TV without the ability to rewind.
Start with the GOOD.  Mixon and Boyd  improved ,did well.    Bates was great for a rookie S.  Otherwise?  Not so hot.   Andy and AJ did well.. when Healthy, Bolling has been solid. I LIKE Vontaz but, like in college he's been out of control, penalties and he's about hit the limit on concussions. Brown + Vigil missed MUCH of the year. Kirkpatrick is okay, but NOT earning his $. Dennard, okay, Jackson good but faded late season.   Eifort?    will he EVER stay healthy? Kroft had a  opportunity.. injured, so the "no Name TE's" did rather well. Hubbard did great, Willis? I expected more, Lawson, another injured guy.
Price ... okay but injury interupted his progress. ced Og , J Fisher, Westerman.. never got a real look. Odd?

Ross?   C'mon.  Nobody GETS how the FAST guy ought to go deep?   The times he was USED, it was the stuff ERICKSON thrives at. Erickson earned more role.   Hart? not AWFUL but not very good and PENALTIES.

O-line and LB will be draft/FA priorities.   We need players who can last the season. Geno and Dunlap never  went down or burned out.  In general.....we HAD a potential playoff roster , then NOTHING much went well.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 10:17 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Joe Mixon.

Serious.

He showed that he can't carry this team. If Bernard had his size and supposed talent, he would easily be the best RB on the team. Unfortunately the guy with the desire and heart is not as big as he needs to be to be the feature back, and we are stuck with Mixon.

I already know a lot of people on here love Mixon. I just don't agree with the assessment of those people. Mixon is slow to the hole, scared of contact and runs tentatively.

The Oline gets the blame and they should, but I think a talented and good RB could carry this a lot better than Mixon did.

OK, Offense out of the way.

Defense. WJ3.

About the same with Mixon, he seems to shy away from making contact. Now as a PD player, he is good and even one of the best. However when the WR makes the catch, I don't want to see any lacking effort to tackle them.

Mixon is anything but afraid of contact. He regularly initiates contact § rarely goes outta bounds without contact. He’s also not slow to the hole — he’s patient. Big difference.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 10:31 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Mixon is anything but afraid of contact. He regularly initiates contact § rarely goes outta bounds without contact. He’s also not slow to the hole — he’s patient. Big difference.

I said I disagree with the assessment of fanboys on this board.  Here is the proof.

"He's not slow, he's patient"  or he just doesn't know where he is supposed to go either.

"He is anything but afraid of contact", then why does he dance in the backfield so much?  He is looking to avoid contact.  I have seen many 3rd and short plays that could have been for a 1st down if Mixon would have had the heart needed for being a top RB.  He lost yards on most of the plays.

I was told that the reason I didn't like us drafting Mixon is because of that video.  No the video doesn't help endear him to me, but I didn't want him before the video came out.  The only reason people on this board love him is because many pundits said that he would be a top 10 pick surefire 1st rounder if not for that video.  I am still waiting for me to change my mind about him though, as I was told I would do, once he carries this team on his back and we win some games with him getting a lot of TDs.  
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 11:09 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: I said I disagree with the assessment of fanboys on this board.  Here is the proof.

"He's not slow, he's patient"  or he just doesn't know where he is supposed to go either.

"He is anything but afraid of contact", then why does he dance in the backfield so much?  He is looking to avoid contact.  I have seen many 3rd and short plays that could have been for a 1st down if Mixon would have had the heart needed for being a top RB.  He lost yards on most of the plays.

I was told that the reason I didn't like us drafting Mixon is because of that video.  No the video doesn't help endear him to me, but I didn't want him before the video came out.  The only reason people on this board love him is because many pundits said that he would be a top 10 pick surefire 1st rounder if not for that video.  I am still waiting for me to change my mind about him though, as I was told I would do, once he carries this team on his back and we win some games with him getting a lot of TDs.  

Well ... every running back is trying to avoid contact.

I mean ... I respect your opinion but you’re wrong about him avoiding contact.

Further, you’re assessment of WJIII is wrong too. If you meant that he misses tackles then I’d say you’re right, but that’s describing every single player on Marvin’s Defense since he’s been here. They all dive/dove at players feet only to miss. Hopefully, this is something that is corrected moving forward.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 07:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I will rate them in order based on their compensation:
1. Burfict - he looked slow and soft
2. AJ Green- Surprise to some, but for his salary he is average at best past couple of years. Great players take over big games, he rarely does that so I would love to se us trade him.
3. Dunlap - Just too inconsistent and di not play up to his contract
4. Eifert - He can't stay on the field so any money paid to him gets flushed down the toilet.
5. Glenn - Expected more out of top 10 paid OT
6. Dre K. - inconsistent tackler and cover CB who makes a lot of dough
7. P. Brown - 5 million and could not stay healthy and was not impressive when he did.
8. W. Jackson - was supposed to be a ball hawk and zero interceptions...…….horrible and if made more money would be higher on my list
9. Ced. O. - First round bust who we paid a lot of money to for 4 years, should have been cut long time ago
10. Jake F. 2nd round bust who can't stay healthy and shown nothing when he was healthy

Bonus
J. Ross - he would be higher, but not easy to score TD's in this league. My problem with Ross is the guys can't fight through any contact and falls all of the time on plays others his size make adjustments and catches.

AJ was on pace for 1400 yds 12 TD and 90 rec before getting hurt. And I don’t think there’s been a player that does take over big games more than him on this team (3 TD against Baltimore in prime time in week 2 for example which was probably our best win of the season). He’s literally carried this team the entire time he’s been here. No coincidence we started to suck when he went out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 11:47 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Well ... every running back is trying to avoid contact.

I mean ... I respect your opinion but you’re wrong about him avoiding contact.

Further, you’re assessment of WJIII is wrong too. If you meant that he misses tackles then I’d say you’re right, but that’s describing every single player on Marvin’s Defense since he’s been here. They all dive/dove at players feet only to miss. Hopefully, this is something that is corrected moving forward.

You telling me that I am wrong doesn't make me wrong...

No not every RB is trying to avoid contact.  Especially on 3rd and short.  They know a hit is coming, but the good ones like Marshawn Lynch don't care.

My assessment of WJ3 comes from when he pulled back on LeVeon Bell the previous season.  2 of our guys met him at the sideline, it looked like he was giving himself up, then he runs right past them to score a TD.  WJ3 was the second guy and to me it looked like he let up to avoid the hit.  Others saw him not wanting to get penalized.  Could have been either way.  This year I saw other plays where he could have stopped the guy but he looked to wait for someone else to make the stop.  This was very evident against the Panthers.  He had the angle and the position, but he backed off to let another defender try to make the stop, the play resulted in a TD.

So I respect you liking those guys, but if you take a hard look, especially at Mixon, you would see he isn't that great of a RB and that we could get more value out of him by trading him for a 2nd or IF possible a 1st.  The downside I see is I don't think we would find any team willing to make the move.  Maybe the Redskins.
Reply/Quote
Yes the AFC’s leading rusher is a bad RB. Got it.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 12:36 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Yes the AFC’s leading rusher is a bad RB. Got it.

Oh... he is the AFC's leading rusher so he must be good.... got it.

Come on... you know that your comment was weak, which is why you didn't quote me. 

He got yards... barely, due to Driskel having to come in.  How many games did we win with him "leading the AFC"?  Exactly.  Come back with something other than a Geoff Hobspin prop piece.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 12:48 AM)YsCascadia Wrote: Oh... he is the AFC's leading rusher so he must be good.... got it.

Come on... you know that your comment was weak, which is why you didn't quote me. 

He got yards... barely, due to Driskel having to come in.  How many games did we win with him "leading the AFC"?  Exactly.  Come back with something other than a Geoff Hobspin prop piece.

Man I look forward to your hot takes.

“AJ holds Dalton back”

“Mixon isn’t very good”

Can’t wait to see what’s next!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 12:48 AM)YsCascadia Wrote: Oh... he is the AFC's leading rusher so he must be good.... got it.

in this day and age teams are built around great qbs  not great RBs. Welcome to the current state of affairs in the NFL.
but that doesnt diminish how GREAT he can become in time.
Mixon was constantly facing a extra defender in the box. much like Corey Dillon in the Akili era.
to win a rushing title especially when you HAVE KNEE SURGERY and your starting QB misses 6 games.
put Mixon behind the Steelers or Rams oline and tell me how many yds he gets.
oh BTW very average stalk blocking from his WRs not named AJ Green either.
Mixon many times had to make a man miss the backfield just to get 0 yds out of the play.
one more thing to consider. 
the Bengals ran of outside zones this year.
this is a man on man oline. not a zone blocking oline.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 11:19 AM)Wyche Wrote: I put that on the coaches.  There is ZERO excuse why this guy doesn't put up the New Orleans Saints era Darrin Sproles numbers.  ZERO.  Jackson and Gruden got good production out of him.  They knew more how to use him, apparently.

And John Ross, and CJ Uzomah, and Joe Mixon, and WJIII, and.....

The bad coaching is a constant on the team.  I agree with your sentiment, but for the contract Gio is awarded, he had next to no contribution this year except the one game where Mixon was out.  You could also argue that he didn't ever get in to the flow of the game, because he would only come in for one series.  But that contradicts what we say about Mixon needing more touches.  

I agree, he is completely wasted by our coaching staff....why he never got more of a shot as a receiver (NOT the damn 2 yard dump off while stationary that has two defenders sitting on him on 3rd and 10) and used him on actual crossing routes.  
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 10:28 PM)redwood Wrote: Start with the GOOD.  Mixon and Boyd  improved ,did well.    Bates was great for a rookie S.  Otherwise?  Not so hot.   Andy and AJ did well.. when Healthy, Bolling has been solid. I LIKE Vontaz but, like in college he's been out of control, penalties and he's about hit the limit on concussions. Brown + Vigil missed MUCH of the year. Kirkpatrick is okay, but NOT earning his $. Dennard, okay, Jackson good but faded late season.   Eifort?    will he EVER stay healthy? Kroft had a  opportunity.. injured, so the "no Name TE's" did rather well. Hubbard did great, Willis? I expected more, Lawson, another injured guy.
Price ... okay but injury interupted his progress. ced Og , J Fisher, Westerman.. never got a real look. Odd?

Ross?   C'mon.  Nobody GETS how the FAST guy ought to go deep?   The times he was USED, it was the stuff ERICKSON thrives at. Erickson earned more role.   Hart? not AWFUL but not very good and PENALTIES.

O-line and LB will be draft/FA priorities.   We need players who can last the season. Geno and Dunlap never  went down or burned out.  In general.....we HAD a potential playoff roster , then NOTHING much went well.

You're wrong on Ross. He actually led the team in average yards per target, so many of his routes were deep. He actually needs to be used more in the short and intermediate routes, as evidenced by his ability to get open in the red zone.

Hart was awful. Should have never been signed, at least not as a starter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 11:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: AJ was on pace for 1400 yds 12 TD and 90 rec before getting hurt. And I don’t think there’s been a player that does take over big games more than him on this team (3 TD against Baltimore in prime time in week 2 for example which was probably our best win of the season). He’s literally carried this team the entire time he’s been here. No coincidence we started to suck when he went out.

Fair points. Keep in mind I said based on compensation. AJ is the highest compensated on our team with Andy. Those numbers are great (but he did not hot them because he was injured....again), but other WR's either beat those numbers or were on pace to beat them. Green was not on pace for top 5 in receptions, TD's or yards, yet he was paid to be. Thus why I put on the list.

I would trade him for a couple of number 1 picks.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 12:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Man I look forward to your hot takes.

“AJ holds Dalton back”

“Mixon isn’t very good”

Can’t wait to see what’s next!

I can't wait to see what you bring to the table...  This pundit says this guy is good so he must be good.... this pundit says this guy is bad so he must be bad.  You're an NPC that has no thought of your own and just responds with love for who the pundits tell you to love and hate who they tell you to hate. 

I bet you are loving Eric Bienenmy (sp).  Without actually analyzing his ability.  Nope, not you, instead you repeat KC is good, Mahomes set records (got lucky), it must be Bienenmy that did it!  Bring him here!  Superbowl in a year.

I would say I can't wait to see what your hot take is, but all I have to do is listen to the pundits that just repeat each other.  You have no hot take.

As to "Aj holding Dalton back", it proves my point.  If Dalton throws to AJ, then he is forcing the ball and needs to spread it around.  Dalton doesn't throw to AJ then Dalton needs to figure out how to get the ball to him.  When the passes are completed no one cares, when they are INC or worse INT, that is when the pundits will say that Dalton is forcing.  If we lose the game and Green doesn't have a catch, targets yes, but no catches, then the pundits will say Dalton needs to throw the ball better and find ways to get the ball to Green. 

You say those exact same things.  Are you Colin Cowherd?  Your hot takes are his.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 11:07 AM)YsCascadia Wrote: I can't wait to see what you bring to the table...  This pundit says this guy is good so he must be good.... this pundit says this guy is bad so he must be bad.  You're an NPC that has no thought of your own and just responds with love for who the pundits tell you to love and hate who they tell you to hate. 

I bet you are loving Eric Bienenmy (sp).  Without actually analyzing his ability.  Nope, not you, instead you repeat KC is good, Mahomes set records (got lucky), it must be Bienenmy that did it!  Bring him here!  Superbowl in a year.

I would say I can't wait to see what your hot take is, but all I have to do is listen to the pundits that just repeat each other.  You have no hot take.

As to "Aj holding Dalton back", it proves my point.  If Dalton throws to AJ, then he is forcing the ball and needs to spread it around.  Dalton doesn't throw to AJ then Dalton needs to figure out how to get the ball to him.  When the passes are completed no one cares, when they are INC or worse INT, that is when the pundits will say that Dalton is forcing.  If we lose the game and Green doesn't have a catch, targets yes, but no catches, then the pundits will say Dalton needs to throw the ball better and find ways to get the ball to Green. 

You say those exact same things.  Are you Colin Cowherd?  Your hot takes are his.

I don’t need to listen to the pundits, I watch the effing games and my eyes tell me Joe Mixon is a great RB.

You however are either a troll or a contrarian hipster type that just likes to go against the grain. There are few people on this board who’s opinion I value less than yours.

Reply/Quote
Just to clarfiy, the post is about the most disappointing player, not the worst player.  I had absolutely zero expectations out of Redmond or Hart so it is really hard for them to disappoint.

Most Disappointing Offense:
  • Price: He'e a rookie & got hurt so he gets a little bit of a pass.  I just was hoping that a 1st round center would be night and day compared to the likes of Ghiaciuc & Bodine.
  • Eifert: Another injury.  Was looking really good before it but just can't stay on the field.  I am not sure why I was hoping to him for a full season.
  • Ross: Was hoping that he put his rookie year behind him and became that explosive playmaker we expect from a top 10 pick.  He caught a few TD's but never really showed that "wow" factor with his speed.  The drops and low percentage completions when targeted are a big concern.
Most Disappointing Defense:
  • Burfict: Not sure what to say.  He looks like a shell of his former self.  I don't know if all the concussions are catching up to him or if PED's were a bigger part of him than we thought.  
  • Brown:  He doesn't miss a game for the Bills in 4 years and led the league in tackles last year with 144 tackles.  Of course he gets hurt here and finished with only 42 tackles.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 02:27 AM)impactplaya Wrote: in this day and age teams are built around great qbs  not great RBs. Welcome to the current state of affairs in the NFL.
but that doesnt diminish how GREAT he can become in time.
Mixon was constantly facing a extra defender in the box. much like Corey Dillon in the Akili era.
to win a rushing title especially when you HAVE KNEE SURGERY and your starting QB misses 6 games.
put Mixon behind the Steelers or Rams oline and tell me how many yds he gets.
oh BTW very average stalk blocking from his WRs not named AJ Green either.
Mixon many times had to make a man miss the backfield just to get 0 yds out of the play.
one more thing to consider. 
the Bengals ran of outside zones this year.
this is a man on man oline. not a zone blocking oline.

Non of what you said proves that Mixon deserves the hype that the NPCs of this board give him.

I noticed Mixon dancing in the backfield while in college.  Him shying away from contact.  Then the video comes out.  After that video a very telling comment from Mixon.

"I was afraid for my life" as to why he hit a 5' nothing 19 year old teenage woman.  That tells me he is soft. 

We draft him, and he plays just like he did in college and has proven that he is as soft as I expected him to be.

You saying that if we had a better line then Mixon would be better.  Fine I can agree with that.  However that doesn't mean Mixon is any good, that just means that we have a good OLine and any RB in the league would be better. 

We could get just about any RB to do what Mixon did.  As many times that he had the ball fed to him he SHOULD have won the rushing title, he should have actually won the NFL rushing title.  He didn't and just like the NPCs with Green, everyone is giving Mixon a pass by blaming something else.  Instead of Dalton for Green, it is the OLine.

Now before people try and claim that I make excuses for Dalton, I don't.  I am just analyzing the play of the players without the noise of the pundits.  Dalton could play better, no doubt.  Throw the ball earlier, make the decision to keep it and run earlier, and yes even spread the ball around better.  However I have seen Dalton throw the ball and hit his target right in the hands and the target drops the pass or it bounces up and is INT.  The pundits put this all on Dalton, the NPCs repeat.  Then when the QB is Wentz and the same things happen, the pundits put it on everyone else and the NPCs repeat that as well.
Reply/Quote
Dre Kirkpatrick. Considering what we pay him and the player we lost to keep him he will always be the biggest disappointment

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 11:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t need to listen to the pundits, I watch the effing games and my eyes tell me Joe Mixon is a great RB.

You however are either a troll or a contrarian hipster type that just likes to go against the grain. There are few people on this board who’s opinion I value less than yours.

The NPC speaks again and says the same things that the other NPCs say.

"I watch the games"

OK, then why did we not convert 3rd and short more this year with this "great" RB?  I know that against the Steelers this year we had 3rd and short, Mixon is stopped, brings up 4th and 1.  I was screaming for us to go for it, not caring if we converted or not, but if we had a great RB then I would have expected us to convert.  Fredtoast defended the decision to punt. 

The following week, 4th and 1, does Mixon convert?  Nope turnover on downs.  Great RBs convert more than they are stopped no matter who their OLine is.  Mixon doesn't.

More NPC speak, from you "you're a troll" then call me a hipster... lol, hipsters go with the grain with the illusion of going against it.

I could care less about you valuing my opinion... the truth doesn't need many people to believe it to be the truth, the truth is simply that, the truth.  
Reply/Quote